IGNORED

What is your biggest pet-peeve in Golf?

rckwd
Note: This thread is 2515 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

This is a fun thread.  I've already noted most of my pet peeves, but there's one other guy I think bears mentioning:  "Golf Hustler Guy".  I have one friend in particular, a very solid player who's handicap always seems to hover around 6.5, yet every time I talk to him he tells me how he just shot 1-over, or birdied three of his last 4 to shoot 75 or some such thing.  For fun, I checked his handcap index, and amazingly these scores never end up getting posted.

I've played enough golf with him to know his game.  He drives it well, hits his irons better than average, and has a great short game and is automatic from inside 5 ft. with the putter.  I wouldn't mind it so much except he wants his "strokes" whenever we play head to head, and I'm the jerk because I always insist he and I play to scratch.

Ping i15 9.0 (UST Mamiya S)

Cobra X-Speed 4+ Wood (Aldila S)

Cobra Baffler 3-Hybrid (19)

Mizuno JPX-825 Pro (4-GW) KBS Tour S

Cobra Rusty 55 SW

Cobra Rusty 59 LW

Never Compromise Gambler (34")

i can't stand when you're teeing off and 2 people behind you are just chatting it up. don't bother to stop or to even quite down. i mean i'm not saying you need to shut up when i'm teeing off, but unless you want me to tee the ball off at you, just be curtious!

Originally Posted by GolfBear

Let's be clear, I'm not suggesting that they hit into people.   I'd just prefer they not wait for them to get to two clubs away before they hit.

It annoys me more when players hit into other people more than I dislike waiting for them to top it on a 2nd shot trying to get to the green in 2. I almost got drilled my a guy who was playing from the forward tees the other day. It was on a dog leg left and my back was facing the tee box. On my backswing the ball whizzed a foot by my ear. I had thought my buddy was messing with my and threw a ball over near me, but I turned around and there some random guy was, standing on the lady's tee.

Sometimes we try to take our time on our 2nd shot in a par 5 if we have been catching the group in front of us and they haven't given us a sign they will let us pass. Even if we know we are laying up, we will wait until they are off the green just to give us better spacing.

I've never had it happen before last weekend, but I have to agree:

A random guy I got paired up with trying to give me advice on my swing.  He did it twice and his buddy put him in check the 2nd time after he noticed the glare I gave him.  Now I know just how irritating it is, as I've read on here a bunch.  I have two older friends that I play rounds with that are both very good golfers.  One used to play on the mini-tours when he was younger and the other has been a single digit cap for 30 years.  I ask them for advice and to watch my swing because they know my game and my swing, so I'm used to having them critique me on the course because I ask them to and trust their advice.  Playing for 2 years with them, they've got me from shooting 110's to mid-80's playing once or twice a week.  So I really didn't think that much about advice on the course before.

But when a random stranger (who was not that good to begin with)  gave me unsolicited advice, it really irritated me.

People that won't fix their ball marks on the green or replace their divots in the fairway.  I have three sons in their early twenties who started golfing the past two years and they not only fix their own marks and divots but will fix some others if we're waiting to hit.

I smoke a few cigarettes while playing but I take a small enclosed ashtray with me that I put in the cupholder on the cart.  It drives me nuts to find cigarette butts anywhere on the course, but especially on the greens or tee boxes.  As a smoker I feel somewhat obligated to pick up any butts I find at those two places.  I don't get crazy with it but I'll pick up a couple of them and put them in my pocket.  Any kind of littering bothers me.

I must admit i talk to my ball alot, if i hit a drive that is getting close to being bad ill start saying to myself "hold up!, hold up dammit!"

I am fully aware that it makes no difference, i am fully aware im off my head

but it annoys the crap outta me when people im playing with are like "why are you doing that", "what does that mean?"

just leave me be dammit, its not your ball or your shot i can say what i want to it,....

:tmade: Driver: TM Superfast 2.0 - 9.5degree - Reg flex
:mizuno: 3 Wood: JPX800 - 16* Exhsar5 Stiff
:mizuno: 3 - PW: MP-67 Cut Muscle back - S300 stiff
:slazenger: Sand Wedge: 54degree, 12degree bounce
:slazenger: Lob Wedge: 60degree 10degree bounce
:ping: Putter: Karsten 1959 Anser 2 Toe weighted
:mizuno: Bag - Cart Style

Originally Posted by natty

The only thing that bothers me is slow play. If you regularly break 80 take all the time you need to line up your shot. Otherwise Grip it and Rip it.

so if u cant break 80 you have to rush......i dont think anyone got good enough to break 80 by just "grip it and rip it" method......Iv never broken 90 but still take my time on every shot. im not excessively slow but i cant stand p****s behind who think i should rush because they are better than me.

a new one!

People who finish on the green and then go stand next to it for excessive amounts of time!  Write your score down when you get to the next hole and don't get mad when I finally decide that you have stood around long enough and shoot at the par 3 green while you're standing over by the cart path(out of harms way).

I did this yesterday and the guy had the nerve to get pissed at me for it!

My philosophy on golf "We're not doing rocket science, here."

Originally Posted by welltravel

cell phones, not fixing divots or ball marks, parking carts so that you have to wait unnecessarily for them to finally leave.

Cell phones on the course should be outlawed. I can't stand it when I'm ready to pull the trigger and hear phones ringing, and loud too. Either turn off your phone, or put it on mute.

People these days can't seem to put their cell phone down for one second.

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha 10.5* 

3WD:  Callaway Big Bertha 15* / X2 Hot H4 Hybrid
Irons:  Callaway Apex 4-PW Project X 5.5 shafts

Wedges: Callaway MackDaddy 2  52/58
Putter: Odyessey Metal X Milled 1

Originally Posted by Motley01

Cell phones on the course should be outlawed. I can't stand it when I'm ready to pull the trigger and hear phones ringing, and loud too. Either turn off your phone, or put it on mute.

People these days can't seem to put their cell phone down for one second.

I absolutely agree about mute but i understand having the phone out as i use mine for a gps if im playing at a course without one.

Bag: Ogio Ozone XX

Driver: :titleist: 910 D2 (Project X 7A3)

3 Wood: :titleist: 910F ;(Mitsubishi Rayon Diamana 'ahina 82)

Hybrid: :titleist: 909H 19* (Diamana Blue)

Irons: :titleist: 755 3-P (Tri Spec Stiff Flex Steel)

Wedges: :titleist: (Vokey 52* 56* 60*)

Putter: Ping Karsten Anser 2

Balls: :titleist: Nxt tour/ Prov1x

+1 For talking through my backswing. I played with a couple of my fiance's brothers yesterday and they would not shut up. I'm not sure if it really hindered my performance much but it was annoying as heck. Also don't like the obnoxious guy. Yesterday one of them lit up a big ol cigar on the 1st tee at 8am and started drinking heavily on the 2nd hole. I think they bought at least 18 beers from the cart girl by the end of it.

For some reason, people talking during my swing doesn't bother me as long as it's consistent in tone and volume.  As long as it's consistent, it's just background noise to me, same as cars going down the road, birds chirping, or the mower going a few holes over.

Originally Posted by carpediem4300

I must admit i talk to my ball alot, if i hit a drive that is getting close to being bad ill start saying to myself "hold up!, hold up dammit!"

I am fully aware that it makes no difference, i am fully aware im off my head

but it annoys the crap outta me when people im playing with are like "why are you doing that", "what does that mean?"

just leave me be dammit, its not your ball or your shot i can say what i want to it,....

I like how you spelled 'dammit' the Blink 182 way, as opposed 'damn it' that's just lame. But pretty much is I have this kid I play who think he knows EVERYTHIN not nearly as much as me. He's an only kid and gets new shit everytime I see him. I'm 1 of 5, and have old stuff.

"It's better to burn out than to fade away." -Kurt Cobain

Talking to the ball period is kind of ridiculous! It's one thing when you mutter to your own ball, but straight up yelling at a ball to "turn" or "bite" or "sit" or whatever is just stupid. I know golf is a very organic game, but the ball is not alive. If I hit it thin (good chance of that) it's not gonna sit on anything except maybe one of those rocket cars.

Originally Posted by sacm3bill

YES!! This is the only thing that bothers me, but it drives me crazy!

"Bite... Bite..." Dude, it's been rolling for 30 feet - if it was going to bite it would've done it by now.

The speedster and the slowpoke hacker have both been mentioned thoroughly, well I got stuck between the two a few weeks ago. The muni course in town is right on the U of O campus, so it was a nice day so these 2 jerk off kids thought they'd be cool and go play golf (game can't be that hard, right?) They also got paired with this fruity older guy who was a single. The three of them were unconsciously slow, the two college kids were absolutely terrible at golf. As my luck would have it, the group behind us was a foursome of wannabe pros (one of which was already fuming mad that he couldn't tee off right exactly at his tee time) and all four proceeded to get more drunk and loud each hole while rushing us along and hitting into us. The one dude felt it was necessary to tell us that we were a hole behind. I just pointed at the group in front of us and tried not to get too mad at the guy. It was a bad 9 holes of golf...

I suppose if anything people that are slow or are just plain golf stupid. But when I play I really don't let anything others do get me upset or angry or anything I just go with the flow. No need to get upset over something you can't control.

913 D2 8.5* with V2 66g stiff shaft

910F 14.25 with Diamana stiff shaft

i20 17, 20, and 23 hybrid 

AP2 712 5-PW with Dynamic Gold S300 shaft

54 and 60

D66

Tournament Edition 1600

Note: This thread is 2515 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!