IGNORED

What is your biggest pet-peeve in Golf?

rckwd
Note: This thread is 2524 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Old women who can't hit the ball more than 50 yds a whack have no place on the golf course. If that describes you then PLEASE find a different hobby. Maybe you're more suited for knitting or crochet

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Hey, I know a 90 year old woman who can't hit the ball very far, but she plays a round in about 3 hrs. She's never looking for a lost ball. And she still breaks 100.

• Upvote 1

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

Yes I misread his post. I thought he said he was in their fairway. My bad. :(

Yes, I was just off of my own fairway. I think what aggravated me most is how often I let people play through because I know how much it takes away from enjoying the game when you have an extended wait every shot. I understand there's no way around it sometimes, but if the next group were 4 holes ahead and I constantly saw a single behind me and my girlfriend waiting shot after shot, it would take one hole for me to let them play through. This couple didn't even acknowledge I was there, and after I was respectful and waited for about 8-10 minutes for them to finish the hole, they teed off right toward me. Sorry for the rant, I've just never been that ticked off at a golf course before today.

I play after work with a group of work colleagues during the summer and one of them drives me MAD! This guy is a lovely guy but could test the patience of a saint.

His following indiscretions are:

1.) Brutally slow with everything he does, practice swing, alignment, walking, you name it, he's slow at it!

2.) "Forgets" certain bad shots on holes - He'll claim he got a 5 on a hole, then you count it quickly in your head and he got a 6! At best it's stupidity, at worst it's cheating. (I know, only cheating himself!) - His best is claiming you don't count air shots because you "didn't actually hit the ball!"

3.) Generally he never knows what score he got on a hole. Which I think is related to above. You have to count it along with him before he knows.

4.) Insists on putting every little thing out, even when you've given him them. - Very annoying during twilight as you need to get a move on.

5.) NEVER gives you anything! Think this is just he's in his own little world, rather than being rude?

6.) Is never ready to tee off - He could be last of a fourball to tee off, but come his turn he's suddenly looking for his glove and what club to use.

7.) Wants to look for lost balls forever. It could be in the deepest of deepest forest, 100 yards in and he'll disappear looking for it.

8.) Searches for his tee after his tee shot. - Now I don't mean a cursory glance about, I mean he hunts for it, like it's a family heirloom!

9.) Has MAJOR tantrums, including club throwing, muttering, doing your own golf down with comments like "I'm playing so badly of course your winning!" (ignoring the fact someone else is playing well or would always beat him regardless of how he played)

10.) Tries to roll every downhill putt in dead weight, so literally all his shorter putts he'll try and just start it and use gravity. - I'd say 95% of his downhillers finish 50% short, yet he still insists on it. Doesn't really bother me unless I'm paired with him in a fourball better ball friendly match. It's very frustrating knowing your partner can have a run at a putt yet will almost invariably leave it short!

...So basically they are all my golfing pet peeves, but nicely condensed into one person. The only reason we have him play with us is because he tends to be the butt of our on course humour.

Hey, I know a 90 year old woman who can't hit the ball very far, but she plays a round in about 3 hrs. She's never looking for a lost ball. And she still breaks 100.

I got behind a foursome of old ladies who looked like they needed walkers and canes, and it took them 3 hours just to play 9 holes. I hit the ball further in one whack than they did in eight whacks at it. If I ever get as bad as these ladies and you see me ahead of you, then please take a grenade launcher and blast me into oblivion so you can move along in a timely fashion on the course.

I got behind a foursome of old ladies who looked like they needed walkers and canes, and it took them 3 hours just to play 9 holes. I hit the ball further in one whack than they did in eight whacks at it. If I ever get as bad as these ladies and you see me ahead of you, then please take a grenade launcher and blast me into oblivion so you can move along in a timely fashion on the course.

As appealing as this sounds, I wouldn't know which club to get rid of to accommodate a grenade launcher in the bag. Maybe some of the high-end courses can start mounting them onto their carts.

Jon

As appealing as this sounds, I wouldn't know which club to get rid of to accommodate a grenade launcher in the bag. Maybe some of the high-end courses can start mounting them onto their carts.

they need that space for seed and sand dude.

• 4 weeks later...

this is pretty annoying. you think the course would do something to fix this. maybe just keep the sun higher in the sky then move it immediately below the horizon for the last few holes for the views. i am going to write a letter...

"Swing with a Purpose" 

What's In The Bag:
Woods: Driver: RBZ stage 2 10* 3 wood: RBZ 15* 5 wood: NIke vapor speed 19*
Irons/ wedges: Rbladez tour 4-PW; Mizuno MP-T4 52*, 56*, CG11 60*
Putter: Odyssey White ice #9

• 1 year later...

So I'm sure this has been brought up before but what are your biggest pet peeves about golf? My biggest are people not fixing pitch marks and not raking bunkers. Also, sunflower seeds on the green. 

Titleist 913 D3 project x 7c3
Trident Golf 3w, 5w Apollo stepless steel stiff+
Mizuno MP-60 (4-6) Mizuno MP-32 (7-9) S300
Titleist SM 5 46/50/54/58
SeeMore FGP Original SuperStroke fatso 5.0
Pro V1

Mine is really how confusing some of the language is.  It's difficult to know how to hold a club when books say to have about as light a grip as you can, but people tell you that your grip is too "weak".  Really; who came up with "strong" and "weak" to describe "rotated clockwise or counterclockwise"?

Seeds on the green?  That's so horrible I'd never come up with it.  That's even worse than people who seemingly intentionally play slow.

7 minutes ago, anker0071 said:

So I'm sure this has been brought up before ....

This is why there's a search function here....

That took just a few seconds to find

• Upvote 4

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

Mine is not being able to find your ball in the rough or the fairway when you know it didnt go into the woods or a hazard. 

Edited by klineka
  • Upvote 1

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Max ST LS
Woods:  :cobra: Darkspeed LS 3Wood/3Hybrid
Irons: :tmade: P770 (4-PW)
Wedges: :callaway: MD3 50   MD5 54 58 degree  
Putter: :odyssey:  White Hot RX #1
Ball: :srixon: Z Star XV

-Slow play especially the 20 plus handicappers grinding over 3 footers like it is to win the US Open.

-Socially awkward single that joins your threesome. Usually this guy won't shut up and then has to comment on every thing about the skins game he didn't want in on. Sometimes this single refuses to play the tees he should just because the other three are playing farther back than he normally does.

• Upvote 1

Trollin' is the life

3 hours ago, MuniGrit said:

-Slow play especially the 20 plus handicappers grinding over 3 footers like it is to win the US Open.

Almost as bad as scratch and/or single digit handicappers grinding over 3 footerd like it is to win the US Open......

Edited by BallStriker
  • Upvote 3

"Getting paired with you is the equivalent to a two-stroke penalty to your playing competitors"  -- Sean O'Hair to Rory Sabbatini (Zurich Classic, 2011)

4 hours ago, BallStriker said:

Almost as bad as scratch and/or single digit handicappers grinding over 3 footerd like it is to win the US Open......

Except that 20 handicapper needs the 3 footer for a snowman.

Trollin' is the life

14 minutes ago, MuniGrit said:

Except that 20 handicapper needs the 3 footer for a snowman.

Right, and I want them to take their time so they don't have to putt yet again. :-D

Jake
"If you need to carry a water hazard, take one extra club or two extra balls." - Unknown (to me)

My Swing | Course Vlogs | Favorite Post | Roamin' for life. (MCATDT)

Note: This thread is 2524 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!