IGNORED

How far do you hit your clubs?

Note: This thread is 3871 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Driver: 240-275

Figured i'd quote you since you and i have virtually the same yardages:

Driver: 240-270 3 wood: 220-230 2 hybrid: 185-220 4 iron: 170-180 5 iron: 160-170 6 iron: 150-160 7 iron: 140-150 8 iron: 125-140 9 iron: 115-125 P wedge: 100-115 S wedge: 85-100 54 wedge: 50-85 60 wedge: 30-50

In my Titleist 2014 9.5" Staff bag:

Cobra Bio+ 9* Matrix White Tie X  - Taylormade SLDR 15* ATTAS 80X - Titleist 910H 19* ATTAS 100X - Taylormade '13 TP MC 4-PW PX 6.5 - Vokey TVD M 50* DG TI X100 - Vokey SM4 55 / Vokey SM5 60* DG TI S400 - Piretti Potenza II 365g

Personally, I equate distance with handicap index to some extent. It doesn't hold true with every player, but almost all the good players I play with hit the ball further on a more consistent basis. I've never met a 25+ that hits the ball over 300 yards, or hits a 7i 170, or anything even remotely close to that. To achieve those distances you need to do a lot of things right.

Agreed

In the bag...

G10 9° Driver
G10 17° 4 Wood
G10 21° Hybrid i15 4-PW Tour-W Wedges 50/12 & 56/10 Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 (35")Balls - Bridgestone B330-RX

Some of the numbers posted here are outrageous, but I can believe a lot of them.

I hit my clubs significantly longer a couple years ago, but I was definitely a worse golfer.

If you're a good athlete, you can figure out how to find the sweet spot and hit a powerful trajectory a decent amount of the time while also swinging nearly as hard as you can. It doesn't mean you're a good golfer or anything...
Scott T

G5 9° V2 75 X / 909F2 15.5° V2 85 X / 909H 19° V2 100 X / MP-33 #3-PW X100 / X-Forged Chrome 54.15 60.10 X100 / FGP Black 34" / Penta TP

Handicap is a guess because I haven't established one yet.Best score so far is a 71 on a 6,509 yard 70.3/121 par 72 muni, during a glorious...

the ball goes as far as it goes. it is what it is and golfers should match their shot to the required distance, and not match a distance and require club.

Dave hits his 8 iron 155 so that means I have to as well. Not so.

I hit my wedge about 128, my 8 iron 153, my 6 iron 182, and my hybrid club 232. My driver flies 264 in the air with a draw and 270 with a fade. Those are MY numbers based on what I CAN DO and I can change the distances based on different shots and set up adjustments. There are too many golfers trying to match other peoples distances and I think it forces bad swing mechanics and tempo.

why dont you try matching shoes sizes and then think about how silly it sounds?

Personally, I equate distance with handicap index to some extent. It doesn't hold true with every player, but almost all the good players I play with hit the ball further on a more consistent basis. I've never met a 25+ that hits the ball over 300 yards, or hits a 7i 170, or anything even remotely close to that. To achieve those distances you need to do a lot of things right.

Maybe I came off brash, didn't mean to..Sarcasm has always been a habit I can't kick ;^). I'm about your handicap after about 4 seasons, sometimes I go low tho. My point was shaving strokes takes time, regardless of distance. It all has to come together, for everyone- short and long. Your right about killing it into the woods. That's less than pointless. When your game is erratic, power doesn't matter. But when your game isn't erratic, it is a HUGE advantage. Some people are just naturally longer than others. And while some inflate their distance for whatever reason, some are just being honest. Wait until they clean up their game, fuggetabotit...The short game is the great equalizer, because everyone can practice it. It is a fact that some, no matter how much they practice, will never hit as long as others.....

In my bag:
r7 9.5, 47"
18* burner rescue 08
x-18, 3-Pw
cg14 camo, 52* 56* 60* DFX 5500, blade, $70 jewel.. ........Jack herer....mountain dew......You know you wanna play here, pony up::http://www.lakeofisles.com/golf/nort...seflyover.html

P.S-- I play occasionally with a dude that Kills the ball, long and clean. He's scratch after 5 years. Watch out for him, he looks like sammy sosa.....lol.

In my bag:
r7 9.5, 47"
18* burner rescue 08
x-18, 3-Pw
cg14 camo, 52* 56* 60* DFX 5500, blade, $70 jewel.. ........Jack herer....mountain dew......You know you wanna play here, pony up::http://www.lakeofisles.com/golf/nort...seflyover.html

D: 225-250
3w: 210-230
3h: 200-220
3i: 190-205
4i: 175-185
5i: 165-175
6i: 155-165
7i: 145-155
8i: 135-145
9i: 115-125
PW: 105-115
52°: 75-95
58°: 50-60
Driver: Cleveland Hi-Bore Tour 9.5°, Fujikura Fit-On Red-Stiff
Fairway: Cleveland Hi-Bore 15°, Grafalloy ProLaunch Red-Stiff
Hybrid: Taylor Made Rescue Dual TP 3H, Diamana Blue Board-Stiff
Irons: MacGregor MT 3-PW, Nippon N.S. Pro 950GH Stiff
Wedges: MacGregor MT Pro 52-6° & 58-10°Putter:...

Driver: 250-280
3W: 220-240
5W: 205-225
3H: 200-215
4H: 190-205
5i: 175-180
6i: 165-175
7i: 155
8i: 145
9i: 135
PW: 110-120/90-100/60
56* SW: 80-85/70-75/50
60* LW: 60-65/50-55/20-40

the ball goes as far as it goes. it is what it is and golfers should match their shot to the required distance, and not match a distance and require club.

I couldn't agree more. One thing beginners to the game seem to have trouble understanding when they first start out is that there really isn't all that much of an advantage to hitting the ball a tad bit further by swinging for the fences on every swing. I can understand to a certain extant trying to hit your driver further, but beginners need to understand it's not how far you hit your irons/wedges but instead how well you can hit them to a specific yardage. It doesn't mean a damn thing if you are capable of hitting your 7 iron 200 yards if you can't to it consistently and with any directional control. With your approach shots, you are trying to hit a target a specific distance from you, not trying to hit it as far as you can.

Yeah i think alot of players try to focus on the driver distance a little too much. Ive hit the ball over 300 yards many times but I know on an average Im much closer to 240 to 260. But I hit fairways. And thats whats important. New players and all players really should remember that you only hit the driver, on average, 14 times per round. You hit the putter around 30 to 35 times. So you tell me which is more important?

In my Sun Mountain MPB bag:
Burner 07 9.5w/ Prolaunch Red
SZ Fairway Woods 4+ and 7
Rescue TP 3 hybrid
200 series irons 4-pwcg11 wedges 52*,56*,60*White Hot 2-BallDT RollHome Course: www.bodegaharbourgolf.com/

The Direction Versus Distance Debate. It would not surprise me if BubbaWatson could hit his 9iron 185 yards with a towering draw, but he doesn't look to play that shot. Clearly if you are playing the game of golf to keep score, and you have an general understanding of how not to make Big numbers, then you are concerned with your accuracy over your distance, however, I understand that it is a fine line.

And, to the OP who wants to make a comparison, I think that's healthy. We all benchmark our game against something. Right now, 125 on the pgatour hits 63% of his greens, 60% of his fairways and averages 282 off the tee. 1.64 putts per green (29.6 putts per round), as well as getting up and down 53% of the time when the green is missed.

Does anyone have someone like Phil's yardages? Or how about Justin Rose, who's 123 on the money list, 124 on the fedex points list, and a scoring average of 72.00, which is 162 in scoring.

I guess the only issue with benchmarking yardages is that it can get to you, mostly likely not in a positive way, and may affect a shot or two on the course... again, not in a positive way.

TIGER'S CLUBS:
Driver: 285 yards (of carry)
3 Wd: 265 yards (of carry)
2 Iron: 245 yards
3 Iron: 230 yards
4 Iron: 220 yards
5 Iron: 208 yards
6 Iron: 190 yards
7 Iron: 172 yards
8 Iron: 158 yards
9 Iron: 142 yards
Pitching Wedge: 128 yards
Sand Wedge: 106 yards
Lob Wedge (60°): 92 yards

Source(s):
golfchannel.com, 2008

pshhh... I got him beat

The Direction Versus Distance Debate. It would not surprise me if BubbaWatson could hit his 9iron 185 yards with a towering draw, but he doesn't look to play that shot.

hell,

The Sand Trap has some forum members who (claim to) hit a 9 iron farther than that! lol

^phsh I already posted that, I like how nobody actually reads all of the post. Tiger distance that is. Also I mentioned somewhere in the post that tiger says that he sometimes hits a 200 yard nine iron.

I don't hit my CLUBS very far, but I can hit a golf ball WITH a club, like this:

My drives, about 225, 230 on average;
3-wood about 80 feet, dead push right (thus the 1-Hybrid in my bag)
I hit a 3-hybrid about 193-195 and every club below that is ABOUT 10-11 yards less - plus or minus a few yards.

I think it's more of taking into consideration the slope, the wind, the lie, etc. then exactly how far I can hit a specific club. At 14 hndcp, close is about all I'll get without tons and tons of practice in all conditions.
I make all my own clubs:
Driver: Snake Eyes Python XLD | | 3-Wood: Snake Eyes Python XL Faiway, 15*  | | Snake Eyes HT Iron Set, 3-, 4-Utility, 5-, 6-Hybrid, 7-PW Cavity Back | | Golfsmith G-40 Wedges, 52, 56, 60 | | Distance Master DM-AS2 Putter | |Ball? The last one I found ... that... was YOURS!!

Well, when I started my distances were less than good. I was driving a 3 wood almost as far as my driver (3 wood is still my favourite club), I couldnt seem to get a drive past 240, except once every couple of rounds or so i'd crush one hard, but I was far from happy, as im 6'4", 245lbs, and in excellent shape (fitness and nutrition are both my job and a huge part of my life).

Then I started taing lessons, and found out I was doing many things wrong, we worked at them one at a time. First the grip and stance, my coach had me switch to an interlocking grip, and widened up my driver stance, and shortened up my iron and wedge stance. Then it was posture and ball position. Then footwork. Finally, after 5 lessons (with more to go), we started on swing plane and swing speed (I was swinging way too hard to keep an effective plane)

After this, my distances were greatly improved, with 275 yard drives becoming very, very common, and my 3 wood is even longer than it was (average of 245). With a stiffer, heavier shaft (he's suggesting 80+ gram, my swing speed on the launch monitor is about 109mph), he expects that I will carry over 300 very consistently. As it is now, my stiff shaft looks and feels flimsy when I swing)

So while im not the best golfer (short game kills me, and also putting, though to a much lesser extent), my game is improving greatly. So if these 25+ handicappers really drive as long as they say to do with a typical all over the place high handicap swing and horrible posture and positioning, it would be scary to think of what they could do if they cleaned up their stance and swing and positioning.

While im sure most of these guys think their telling the truth (they hit a good drive and a friend says, 'wow, mine is about 270, so that must be 300'!, and of course they believe them), im guessing they dont know for sure what their distances are and go by guess and word of mouth.

In the Ogio Kingpin bag:

Titleist 913 D2 9.5* w/ UST Mamiya ATTAS 3 80 w/ Harrison Shotmaker & Billy Bobs afternarket Hosel Adaptor (get this if you don't have it for your 913)
Wilson Staff Ci-11 4-GW (4I is out of the bag for a hybrid, PW and up were replaced by Edel Wedges)
TaylorMade RBZ 5 & 3 Fairway Woods

Cobra Baffler T-Rail 3 & 4 Hybrids

Edel Forged 48, 52, 56, 60, and 64* wedges (different wedges for different courses)

Seemore Si-4 Black Nickel Putter

Some of these replies are outrageous! I have only ever played with someone who hit a ball around 300 yards last summer. His pitching wedge went around 145-155. He was a big dude, around 6'2" and 220 pounds. Needless to say, he was going off to play for a school in north carolina.
My distances:
Driver:230-260
19*:210
21*:200
4i:185
5i:175
6i:165
7i:155
8i:145
9i:130
pw:115
53*:100
60*:70

Yeah i think alot of players try to focus on the driver distance a little too much. Ive hit the ball over 300 yards many times but I know on an average Im much closer to 240 to 260. But I hit fairways. And thats whats important. New players and all players really should remember that you only hit the driver, on average, 14 times per round. You hit the putter around 30 to 35 times. So you tell me which is more important?

well according to a scientific research they found that if tiger putted for you it would save an average 2.8 strokes but if he hit all shots froom 100+yards he would shave 9.4 strokes so which one is more important for us again??

Note: This thread is 3871 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!