IGNORED

Baltic Putter with Swastika

Note: This thread is 2104 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• 2 years later...

I also have a putter exactly as described. No, I am not a racist, Nazi sympathizer, or anything remotely associated with it. I also have a curiosty about the history of this putter which was given to me by my stepfather before he passed away several years ago (no, he was not German or a Nazi sympathizer either). I am an avid golfer (retired now) that just wants to know something about the history of this putter.

Originally Posted by Domenic

moving on..............how 'bout them Packers, not so undefeated now, are we?

If Meatloaf thinks 2 outa 3 ain't bad, then 13-1 has to be better!

Wishon  715 CLC-AXE5 A shaft -hard steppedt -44.5"
4 wood-Infiniti 17*-UST IROD A shaft-Hard stepped(2009 model)
Hybrids 19* & 24*-Trident DSW-UST IROD Hybrid A shaft-hard stepped (2009 model)
Irons-5-PW- Wilson Staff Progressive Forged-TT Release  sensicore( 5&6-Soft stepped R-7,8&9-R-wedge hard stepped R
Wedges-52*-Wilson JP BeCE(54* bent to 52*)-TT-Release sensicore-hard stepped R

56*Wilson R-61 BECU Sandy Andy- Release sensicore tipped same as 8 iron

60* Wilson Harmonized BECU-Release sensicore tipped same as 8 iron

Woods- Star Grips  Irons Energy Grips

:Putter-Rife IBF with Ping Blackout Grip-35"

Ball-Wilson Staff Zip Golf. or C-25

Holy crap guys ... the reactionary to knowledge ratio here is pretty high.

Swastikas are still common all over Asia as Budhist and Hindu symbols.

I lived in Taipei for awhile and you could tell the vegetarian Budhist restaurants by the giant red swastikas on their signs.

It doesn't surprise that they were used on goods in the west prior to WWII.

• Upvote 1

In my bag ... 12 year old Balvenie DoubleWood

• 10 months later...
  • 9 months later...

I found this thread on Google and I just had to register and chime in.

The swastika as a Baltic symbol has absolutely nothing to do with Nazism. It's an ancient symbol which played a great role in Baltic mythology and culture hundreds and hundreds of years before WW2 and it's use on that golf putter has nothing to do with Nazism.

It was an Indian symbol (no, Indian as in the Asian country of India, not Native American, who the hell started talking about Native Americans? LOL) before it came to Lithuania and the Balts and is often used in Asian countries with no connection to Nazism whatsoever.

It is sometimes drawn pointing in either one direction or the other, there is no "good" way of drawing it as opposed to a supposed "bad Nazi" way of drawing it.

It is an inherently positive symbol that was stolen and abused by the Nazis and has to be taken BACK. People need to stop associating it with negativity and be aware of it's real origins. Nazis can go to hell.

A lot of people here have obviously not even read the wikipedia page about the symbol, so please do that:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swastika

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...
On 7/5/2009 at 4:36 AM, Saig55 said:

Can anyone tell me if they have seen one like this? It looks like a hickory shaft. On either side on the back, on toe and heel, are two swastika's.
Interesting piece.

I have a putter like this, was made in Scotland about 1905 by Roycraft....this is well before the Nazi's. The swastika symbol is known by many different names throughout the world and is very old. Is thought to be a variation of the christian cross in ancient Europe. However at this time in Europe it was considered a good luck charm (early aviators in the 1900's would wear a medallion with the symbol...they needed good luck) Thus the golf club was engraved with this for the golfers good luck. It is also and old symbol for some American Indian tribes, especially in the southwest. Weird fact...the 45th American infantry division used this symbol on their patches and flag until the 1930's...when they removed if due to what the Nazi's were using it for.Unfortunately the Nazi's used the symbol and the meaning is now forever changed for most people..(FYI...Adolf Hitler attended a church in his youth that had this symbol used extensively throughout its cathedral...which is common in old churches in Europe).

On July 5, 2009 at 3:26 PM, twinke masta said:

The attention to the Swatstika on a 1925 putter is not necessary at all.

Be honest, would you have clicked it without swatstika in the title?

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 hour ago, freshmanUTA said:

Be honest, would you have clicked it without swatstika in the title?

That's a 7 year old post. Just sayin'....

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

I always thought the swastika was around 10K years old and Hitler just stole it's design. As for supporting wrongful, hatred thinking, I have this feeling everytime I buy a gallon of gas,  some of my coins go into some nut job's pocket.

As for the putter. If it putts well, use it. 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

I saw a documentary several years ago where many buildings have swastikas on them.  Nothing to do with Nazis.  The symbol has been co-opted much like the Confederate Battle flag.  Personally I wouldn't display either, but I certainly wouldn't hold it against someone if they wanted to putt with a piece of memorabilia.  Too much PC these days.

I bet it putts like crap.  :-D  Everything would go to the left.

Edited by vangator
  • Like 1

Driver.......Ping K15 9.5* stiff 3 wood.....Ping K15 16* stiff 5 wood.....Ping K15 19* stiff 4 Hybrid...Cleveland Gliderail 23* stiff 5 - PW......Pinhawk SL GW...........Tommy Armour 52* SW...........Tommy Armour 56* LW...........Tommy Armour 60* FW...........Diamond Tour 68* Putter.......Golfsmith Dyna Mite Ball..........Volvik Vista iV Green Bag..........Bennington Quiet Organizer Shoes.... ..Crocs

6 minutes ago, vangator said:

I saw a documentary several years ago where many buildings have swastikas on them.  Nothing to do with Nazis.  The symbol has been co-opted much like the Confederate Battle flag.  Personally I wouldn't display either, but I certainly wouldn't hold it against someone if they wanted to putt with a piece of memorabilia.  Too much PC these days.

I bet it putts like crap.  :-D  Everything would go to the left.

You mean right.

:callaway: Big Bertha Alpha 815 DBD  :bridgestone: TD-03 Putter   
:tmade: 300 Tour 3W                 :true_linkswear: Motion Shoes
:titleist: 585H Hybrid                       
:tmade: TP MC irons                 
:ping: Glide 54             
:ping: Glide 58
:cleveland: 588 RTX 62

6 hours ago, SavvySwede said:

You mean right.

No, left.  The Nazis were very far left.

Driver.......Ping K15 9.5* stiff 3 wood.....Ping K15 16* stiff 5 wood.....Ping K15 19* stiff 4 Hybrid...Cleveland Gliderail 23* stiff 5 - PW......Pinhawk SL GW...........Tommy Armour 52* SW...........Tommy Armour 56* LW...........Tommy Armour 60* FW...........Diamond Tour 68* Putter.......Golfsmith Dyna Mite Ball..........Volvik Vista iV Green Bag..........Bennington Quiet Organizer Shoes.... ..Crocs

39 minutes ago, vangator said:

Nazis were far right. The Communists were the far left ones.

:callaway: Big Bertha Alpha 815 DBD  :bridgestone: TD-03 Putter   
:tmade: 300 Tour 3W                 :true_linkswear: Motion Shoes
:titleist: 585H Hybrid                       
:tmade: TP MC irons                 
:ping: Glide 54             
:ping: Glide 58
:cleveland: 588 RTX 62

3 hours ago, vangator said:

2 hours ago, SavvySwede said:

Nazis were far right. The Communists were the far left ones.

Yep.  Hitler's fascism was extreme right.  But it was still a despotic dictatorship, no less than Stalin's communism.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Note: This thread is 2104 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!