IGNORED

Your Home Course

iacas
Note: This thread is 2907 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Administrator
I've just moved up here from southern Florida, where I enjoyed courses like Madison Green (as low as $25) and even Delray Beach Golf Club (as low as $11 sometimes).

However, now that I'm back in PA, I've joined the course at which I was a junior member this year: Lake View Country Club . The course is about 6600 yards, narrow, fast greens. It's hosted the PA state amateur a time or two, and Nicklaus, Palmer, and more have played here. It's my favorite course, membership dues (it is a country club) are reasonable, and they have great wings.

Plus, it's only 15 minutes from where I currently live.

What's your home course like?

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I play a couple of courses in the Olympia area. The Links at Hawks Prairie is one of them. The links course is very nice, I have yet to play what they call "The Woodlands at Hawks Prairie."

There is another course up the road at the Army Base called Fort Lewis that I've played a few times. I stay away becuase it is higher priced for civilians and there is a very dissagreeable little gremlin that works the counter. I have yet to see him smile (maybe he should watch me hit my 3 wood). He crawls out of a hole every morning to collect greens fees.

Most weeks I'm down at Nisqually Valley Golf Course. $10 for 18 holes after 12 noon. It's not as big or as well groomed as some of the other courses around here, but the atmosphere fits me better and the price is right. I play one of the bigger courses about once a month.

Jeff

10.5° Callaway FT-iZ Tour

18°, 20°, 23° Adams Idea Pro Prototype Hybrid

4-9 Titleist 690.CB
48° Titleist Vokey Tour Nickel
54°, 58° Titleist Vokey Tour Oil Can

Scotty Cameron NP2, 33"

Well, we can certainly remedy that little civilian price gouging problem once I arrive back in the area. I'll just buy both of our rounds at the military rate. ;)

Right now I haven't played any of my local courses. The two courses that I've played in the Austin area are The Golf Club at Crystal Falls and the Lago Vista Course at Lago Vista Golf Clubs . I shot a 101 at Crystal Falls (my second ever round of golf) and a 120 at Lago Vista (my first ever round of golf). I do plan on playing a couple of times in Panama City Beach, FL over the Christmas holidays, though.

Part of the reason I chose to be stationed in New Orleans is that the base I am living on had its own course. But when I got here I found out that they had torn it down. Gotta love the bad luck.

My home course is Greatwood , a really fun layout, short but challenging with a lot of water carries and pretty tight fairways.

Houston also has some decent municipals especially the new Memorial Park since it was renovated, although it can get a bit crowded.

There are also some really nice new courses like the new Jacobsen designed Black Horse which is super challenging and hosted a second round regional for PGA Q school and Red Stone which is going to host the Shell Houston open this year. Both are super tough courses with pretty fair green fees.

• 2 weeks later...
Living on Long Island we to pay about 50.00 per round.Hopefully in the future I will be in Myrtle permantly and can play till I drop every day.I guess my home course would be Bethpage state park course there are 5 courses there and since I work nights I can usually get out early during the week.Yellow Geen and Blue are all under 35.00.The red 40.00 and the Black 45.00 resident 75.00 non NY resident.

In my new FT carry bag
FT-9 Tour nuetral 9.5
FT-15 degree 3 wood
Fussion Hybrids #2&4
Fussion irons with Grapholoy Pro launch Red shafts56&60 Cally X forged wedges with Red shaftsSG9 putterCally I ballBushnell Meadealist range finder

www.portervalley.com

That's where I work. The company that owns us, ClubCorp, has over 100 affiliate courses all over the world. Most notably, Firestone C.C. and The Pinehurst Resort.

Our course is relatively short, only 6090 yards, but lots of uphill holes, kikuya grass, tough par 3s, lightning fast greens and plenty of winds in the winter.

Callaway RazrFit Extreme 9.5 w/Project X 6.5
Callaway XHot Pro 15* 3Wood w/Project X 6.5
Callaway XTour 18* 2h w/S300
Callaway XHot Pro 4/5 irons w/S300
Callaway XForged III 5-PW irons w/S300
Callaway Forged 52*/58* Wedges
Odyssey 7 Versa 90
Callaway Hex Black Tour

http://www.skyviewgolf.com

Sparta, NJ. This course is most of the time hated after first round, but more you play it you can't help but fall in love with it. Typical north-jersey "mountain goat" track. Tight fairways, not much bail-out room, healthy dose of blind shots and elevation changes. IMHO too expensive for public play ($85 weekends high season), but membership fees are a steal - $3300 for a couple with no strings attached ($15 day fee for carts and course is pretty much unwalkable). From the point of view of price/value - no match in north NJ.

Ouch Erik, from southern Florida to Pennsylvania
My course is a like a 2 minute bike ride from where i live and is not a bad course, nice members and pretty cheap. Worked there a little bit last year and hope to work more this year (last year just when there full time/part time employees were gone or something) Hopefully this year i will be a part time employee.
It is a very interesting how the course is set up, 9 greens, 9 fairways, 18 tee off boxes (4 different skill levels all set upo as well.) and 18 holes, if you have any questions shoot me a PM and i will explain it better.

• 10 years later...

I just noticed this thread, so I thought I'd throw out a post on my course. I'm in SW Ohio and my course is a bit in the rural area outside Cinci (about 30 min away). They offered a special deal for 2-1/2 year membership for $170. I love the course. Maintenance is exceptional and the greens are superb. The intersting thing is that they opted to not maintain the sandtraps and grew grass in their place. They offered a deal that if you sponsor a sandtrap for $2k then they'll erect a plaque in your name. Havent seen any takers on that yet. Not sure anyone wants to pay for something that makes their score go up. But even without the traps, it is a great course.

Dave

• Administrator

If you're gonna sponsor a Sand Trap, I recommend this one instead! :-D #tooeasy

FWIW, my home course is now either Whispering Woods GC or Chautauqua GC (they have two 18s there).

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

My "home" course is our local muni, Leslie Park Golf Course.  As a senior citizen, I can buy a pass for $495 that allows me to walk the course M-F and after 2pm on the weekends.  Designed by Lawrence Packard, it opened in 1967.  It under went an extensive renovation by Arthur Hills in 1999 and most recently the drainage for several holes that run along Traver Creek were re-worked as part of the effort to improve the water quality for the Huron River watershed.

Tipping out at around 6,608 yards (72.5/130), no one is planning to hold the U.S. Open here but it has its challenges.  It is fairly hilly and not an easy walk.

The photo is looking up from #8 green.

Leslie_Park.jpg

Brian Kuehn

Mine is Boulder City GC. Nice little place in the 6600+/- range. Place is pretty much surrounded by homes. Water and bunkers are well placed. The greens, like the rest of the course are very well maintained. The practice area offers up just about any shot a player might want to work on. Price is very agreeable to anyone's pocket book, especially for those folks who like to walk. It's one of the nicer courses in So Nevada. 

When I want to do the "atmosphere" thing, Cascada is just few minutes farther.

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

béziers saint thomas south of france. about 6750 yards.

I like the 2 par 3 of 220 yards. you know you have 2 bogeys to fight before the round.

one par 4 is 472 yards with uphill slope on the drive carry. thats the third bogey to fight with.

I have less than 10% of GIR on those holes.

those 3 holes are against the dominant wind coming at 10 o'clock. a slicers delight. (240 days of wind per year over 40 km/h thats about 25 miles/hour. we often have 60-80 km/h (37/50 miles). than we have 10 more days per year well over 100 km/h (62 miles). 

2 par 5 have greens 30 yards up on a hill, they are therefore pretty much unreachable in two.

bunkers are poor in this windy area. they are dryed up sun burned clay mostly. new sand gets blown away fast when repaired. clay brings up rocks as well with years.

the greens are old style big circles, pretty flat but full of bumps and ditches so even good approach shot have very tricky 1-2 yard putt that finish with a bogey.

the slopes are hard to read in the middle of all these light slopes. We are often totally wrong at 1-2 yards. some optical effets with the environment. on the 8th we often break uphill of the eye it's crazy.

the first 5 holes are short, tight in a pine forest area with doglegs and strategic tee shots.

then from the 6th to the 12th it's very a wide plain (old sloppy wine yard) and very long hold area.

we then go through french garrigue (1,5 yards high bushes very dense all over as first rough) with water obstacles all over from the 14th to the 17th. the 18th is back in pine forest land.

In San Diego you can spend a lot (Torrey Pines) or go cheap like me. I like the Muni's that are friendly and cheap. I can usually find rounds around $35 to $40. My two favorites:

http://www.missiontrailsgc.com/

http://www.playoceansidegolf.com/

I use old Taylor Made clubs from eBay and golf shops.

Springfield Golf & Country Club - Springfield VA

-Jerry

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 (9.5 degree) – Aldila RIP 60-2.9-Stiff; Callaway Mini-Driver Kura Kage 60g shaft - 12 degree Hybrids: Callway X2 Hot Pro - 16 degree & 23 degree – Pro-Shaft; Callway X2 Hot – 5H & 6H Irons: Titleist 714 AP2 7 thru AW with S300 Dynamic Gold Wedges: Titleist Vokey GW (54 degree), Callaway MackDaddy PM Grind SW (58 degree) Putter: Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Heavy Balls: Titleist Pro V1x & Snell MyTourBall

"Golf is the closest game to the game we call life. You get bad breaks from good shots; you get good breaks from bad shots but you have to play the ball where it lies."- Bobby Jones

Note: This thread is 2907 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!