IGNORED

3-Wood off a tee

enduro
Note: This thread is 4882 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Ive been using my 3 wood lately a lot off the tee. Its a ACUITY GOLF RCX 14° reg stiff that i bought off ebay from rockbottom golf. I can average about 210 or so, sometimes get 225-230 if i really hit one really well. I dont hit my driver much farther than that if i hit it well and lately i havent been hitting my driver well, its like i cant control where the ball goes. I can hit the 3 wood pretty straight, i tee up like i do the driver with about 2/3 of the ball above the top of the club but its pretty low profile so i dont have to tee it up very high. I feel more confident using it. Was going to go to the range today to try to work on hitting my driver better but its raining here so have to wait for another day.

In my bag
Driver-top flite cannon 460 cc 10.5 deg, reg flex
3 Wood-ACUITY GOLF RCX 14°
3h-warrior golf tcp 20°
4h-warrior golf tcp 23°5h-warrior golf tcp 26° 6-pw-AFFINITY / ORLIMAR HT2 SERIES irons steel shafts regular flex56° sw-tour seriesram puttergolf balls-intech beta ti

240-250 carry. 15*

The one thing I did to this club is get it splined and man did that help. I bought it straight from Golf Galaxy and the shaft was put on terribly. Now that it is aligned properly I love it.

In my bag:
Driver: R5 TP Diamana 83s Shaft
Fairway: Burner 15 degree Fujikura REAX
Hybrid: Custom 19 degree
Irons: DCI 990 S300 4-PW

Wedges: NF 52.04*, Spin Milled 56.10* and 60.08*

Putter: Red X3

Ball: ProV1

Shoe: Tour 360 LTD

I don't carry a 3-wood, but my 17° 4-wood goes about 220-230 off the tee, with the tendency to draw a bit.

In my UnderArmour Links stand bag...

Driver: '07 Burner 9.5° (stiff graphite shaft)
Woods: SasQuatch 17° 4-Wood (stiff graphite shaft)
Hybrid: 4DX Ironwood 20° (stiff graphite shaft)Irons/Wedges: Apex Edge 3-PW, GW, SW (stiff shaft); Carnoustie 60° LWPutter: Rossa AGSI+ Corzina...

I usually prefer my driver because of the oversized head I usually make better contact than with my smaller 15* 3 wood. Only use my 3 wood on shorter holes where there is really no other choice.

stand bag:

Driver: DDH 10*
Woods: DDH 3W-15*, 5W-21*
Irons: DDH 3-SWWedge: VR LW 60*Putter: VSL

240-260 nice easy swing. 260+ i give it a good rip.
Bag- Orig. 14 Stadium Tour
Driver- R7 limited 9.5*
3 Wood- R7
5 Wood-Viper Tour
Irons- X18/X22 ToursWedges- 52*/ 56* SandPutter- Hamilton f2 series BladeBall- Pro V1Glove-

Mine is 15*. I hit it different distances, depending on how well I actually strike the ball. For good, clean hits, I'd say it goes 230-240 including roll. I've definitely had some end up close to 280, though.

I too don't use a driver due to my not being able to control it well.

"Golf is an entire game built around making something that is naturally easy - putting a ball into a hole - as difficult as possible." - Scott Adams

Mid-priced ball reviews: Top Flight Gamer v2 | Bridgestone e5 ('10) | Titleist NXT Tour ('10) | Taylormade Burner TP LDP | Taylormade TP Black | Taylormade Burner Tour | Srixon Q-Star ('12)

15*, carry about 235 with an easy swing, 250-60 if i rip it (and actually hit it well)

Like most of the other guys who posted here I use it in these situations:

1. tight fairway
2. dog legs or anytime i need to work it right to left or left to right (not really good at shaping shots with the driver just yet)
3. driver is just too much and would leave me at a weird yardages in to a par 4
4. usually for the first few par 4's no matter what just to gain some confidence for the rest of the round :)

905R 9.5* Fujikura Speeder
200 steel 3 wood
200 steel 5 wood
690.CB 3-PW
56* 14 Pro Platinum Newport 2 Pro V1 B330-S

I'm just wondering how far you all hit your 3-wood off a tee and what degree it is? Also, how often do you use it to tee and what situations?

I like strong 3 woods, so mine is a 12.5* and when hit well is good for ~250 yds. on the fly. I guess with roll out, depending on course conditions any where from 250 to 265 yds. I play a MacGregor NVG2 12.5* with a Graffaloy Prolaunch Platinum R flex SST/pured and tipped to 5 wood length.

15*, carry about 235 with an easy swing, 250-60 if i rip it (and actually hit it well)

I do the same. I think I read it somewhere that Lee Trevino (or was it Nickalus) that said he never uses the driver on the first tee. No matter whether it is a short par 5 where I can reach it in two if I hit my driver or a long par 4, I always start out with the 3 wood.

Don

:titleist: 910 D2, 8.5˚, Adila RIP 60 S-Flex
:titleist: 980F 15˚
:yonex: EZone Blades (3-PW) Dynamic Gold S-200
:vokey:   Vokey wedges, 52˚; 56˚; and 60˚
:scotty_cameron:  2014 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I do the same. I think I read it somewhere that Lee Trevino (or was it Nickalus) that said he never uses the driver on the first tee. No matter whether it is a short par 5 where I can reach it in two if I hit my driver or a long par 4, I always start out with the 3 wood.

I don't know who said it, but they sure were on the right track. I've only played about a dozen courses and most of them have started off with a short or mid length par 4. My home course in Hawaii is a 391 yard par4 and my home course in St. Louis is a 320-350 (i think) par 4... i usually hit 3 wood off the tee and then a sw into the green.

I use a 17.5 4 wood that goes 245-250, both off the deck and off a tee. One of my most consistent clubs.

thats a pretty big 3w, nice! I hit my 18* 5wood about 225-235 on the fly.

905R 9.5* Fujikura Speeder
200 steel 3 wood
200 steel 5 wood
690.CB 3-PW
56* 14 Pro Platinum Newport 2 Pro V1 B330-S

WOW u guys hit it far!!!!! I hit my 15.5 3 wood 230 if i pipe it with roll. Usually 220 though.

In My Hank Haney IJGA Bag
Driver: FT Tour 9.5 w/ Aldila Voodoo Stiff
3 Wood: i15 15.5 w/ avixcore red stiff
Hybrids: Rescue 09 19, 22 w/ fujikara fit on stiff
Irons: 4 & 5 MP-52, 6-PW MP-58 w/ KBS Tour Stiff Wedges: MP T-10 52*, 58* w/ KBS Tour StiifPutter: Fastback 1 34 inBall: : Pro...

WOW u guys hit it far!!!!! I hit my 15.5 3 wood 230 if i pipe it with roll. Usually 220 though.

I think the exagerations we see on the driver thread also carry over to here.

15* 210-220 Taylor Made Burner

Kevin

-------
In the Bag
Driver: G15 9.0*3 & 5 Wood: BurnerHybrid: Pro Gold 20*; 23*Irons: MP-58 (5-PW)Wedges: Vokey Spin Milled 52*8; 56*14Putter: Newport 2.0 33"Balls: NXT

I've shaved 2-4 strokes since I've been more judicious about using 3W versus driver off the tee.

Some helpful posts here. I'll try starting with the 3W on the first couple holes as suggested. I do tend to block drives early on, before I've relaxed a bit. Man do I hate ending up in right rough off the get-go.

Driver: Cobra 460SZ 9.0, med.
3 Wood: Taylor stiff
3-hybrid: Nike 18 deg stiff
4-hybrid:
Taylor RBZ 22 deg regular
Irons:5-9, Mizuno MP30, steel
Wedges: PW, 52, 56, 60 Mizuno MP30
Putter: Odyssey 2-ball

I can't hit a 3w to save my soul. I hit my driver far more consistantly.

MX500 9.5* S
Burrows Golf MAC Powersphere 3W
IDEA PRO Irons
Perfect Club 21*
IDEA PRO 3HSakamoto 54* X-tour 60* Newport 2 Pro Platinum Custom

The 3 wood is my best club. I almost always hit it long and straight, especially off the tee. Usually it will go between 250-270, but I've hit it as long as 315 yds. The driver is a different story...

The 3 wood is great, i can totally hit it much straighter than the driver

OHIO

In my Revolver Bag
R9 460, RIP
R9 TP 3 Wood, Diamana 'ilima 70*Idea Pro Black 20*Titleist AP1 712 4-AW Spin Milled Black Nickel 56.08 & 60.10

Note: This thread is 4882 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!