IGNORED

The Biggest Secret? Slide Your Hips

iacas

• Administrator

Golf is hard.

That's the first sentence in the first chapter of one of the best golf books ever written… :-)

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Amazing post, thanks for the information. I´m going to start working on it and try to improve my skills on this hard but awesome game. I will ask you methods, exercices, books, and whatever help me to play better... Thanks again from Spain !!! ;-)

:nike:

• 4 weeks later...

Off topic but I would check out this video. Camera angle being too low was mentioned,  but I think you could use some more left bend.

Just wanted to stop back and say I've been working on a steadier head and rotating my shoulders properly like this video goes over and I've combined those two swing thoughts with getting good hip movement (I try to feel as if my hips are moving towards the target before I complete my backswing). It has taken nearly two months but my ball striking has never been as consistent as it is right now. I've played golf for going on 24 years and have never shot under par for 18 holes; until now. Not only have I done it for the first time, but I have done it TWICE in the last 4 weeks. So with that, thank you, Mike!

Just wanted to stop back and say I've been working on a steadier head and rotating my shoulders properly like this video goes over and I've combined those two swing thoughts with getting good hip movement (I try to feel as if my hips are moving towards the target before I complete my backswing). It has taken nearly two months but my ball striking has never been as consistent as it is right now. I've played golf for going on 24 years and have never shot under par for 18 holes; until now. Not only have I done it for the first time, but I have done it TWICE in the last 4 weeks. So with that, thank you, Mike!

Glad I could help. Also gotta give @iacas credit for starting this thread and doing the Key #1 video

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

• 2 weeks later...
I have a question, this may have been answered already I haven't read the entire thread. With the shorter irons(6,7,8,9) should the hips slide forward less then with the longer clubs(D,3wd,4i)?

I have a question, this may have been answered already I haven't read the entire thread. With the shorter irons(6,7,8,9) should the hips slide forward less then with the longer clubs(D,3wd,4i)?

They do slide a little less with the shorter clubs, mostly due to a more narrow stance but it's not something you need to think about, golf is hard enough.

Mike McLoughlin

They do slide a little less with the shorter clubs, mostly due to a more narrow stance but it's not something you need to think about, golf is hard enough.

Well maybe because I'm not used to it yet, but for the longer clubs if I don't focus on sliding through the shot longer then I either hit it fat or hit a push or push with a slight fade.

Not that anyone is recommending sliding the hips when putting but that's what i saw yesterday, and very effective it was too. Yes, sliding the hips along the putter line, kind of following the putter path.  As good a putter he was as i have ever played with.  From far and near, all sorts of putts, he dropped them in.  .

Nothing sloppy or casual but a controlled and slight movement of the lower body.  Played off 12 HC.

Not that anyone is recommending sliding the hips when putting but that's what i saw yesterday, and very effective it was too. Yes, sliding the hips along the putter line, kind of following the putter path.  As good a putter he was as i have ever played with.  From far and near, all sorts of putts, he dropped them in.  . Nothing sloppy or casual but a controlled and slight movement of the lower body.  Played off 12 HC.

I feel like my hips slide when putting. Also when hit flop shots around the greens I tend to slide my hips. I trying to get away from sliding hips in putting as it seems to unreliable An open hip stance and forward press eliminates the hip slide in putting for me

I feel like my hips slide when putting. Also when hit flop shots around the greens I tend to slide my hips. I trying to get away from sliding hips in putting as it seems to unreliable An open hip stance and forward press eliminates the hip slide in putting for me

That seems like a lot of trouble to eliminate lower body movement. I suspect something else is happening. Try keeping your lower body square, no tilt, no movement, and just rock your shoulders in a relaxed fashion.

No need to introduce other compensations...

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Not that anyone is recommending sliding the hips when putting but that's what i saw yesterday, and very effective it was too. Yes, sliding the hips along the putter line, kind of following the putter path.  As good a putter he was as i have ever played with.  From far and near, all sorts of putts, he dropped them in.  .

Nothing sloppy or casual but a controlled and slight movement of the lower body.  Played off 12 HC.

You always have the outlier ... but there is a reason a solid lower body and square setup is the normal prescription with a rocking or movement of the big muscles (the shoulders).

But I think this thread is about sliding the hips on full swing type shots.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

That seems like a lot of trouble to eliminate lower body movement. I suspect something else is happening. Try keeping your lower body square, no tilt, no movement, and just rock your shoulders in a relaxed fashion.

No need to introduce other compensations...

it is not much trouble at all, it is a slight slide, it keeps my in rhythm. I dont like lower body square , it does not feel like I can putt toward the hole. I prefer open, everyone has their style.

it is not much trouble at all, it is a slight slide, it keeps my in rhythm. I dont like lower body square , it does not feel like I can putt toward the hole. I prefer open, everyone has their style.

Yes, everyone has a style. If you're Corey Pavin, you can open up the stance. But he is Corey Pavin. You are not.

Having said that, you can have a solid lower body without tension. There can be slight imperceptible movement.

But if you are sliding your hips and it's noticeable, you've just lowered your probability of being a consistent putter.

There is a reason a hip slide is not recommended in putting...

But THIS topic is about hip slide with a full swing. If you want, open a thread about putting techniques. But both of us are now thread crapping. So lets keep on the topic of hip slide on full swings.

But THIS topic is about hip slide with a full swing.

Correct :-)

Hip slide and putting don't go together, there is no reason for it.

Mike McLoughlin