923 posts / 339979 viewsLast Reply

1 hour ago, 70sSanO said:

Tennis serve slide.

I have really been struggling with the proper downswing sequence and couldn't quite get it put together.  Every now and then I would try to incorporate a slide, but initiating it with the left heel, left knee, right knee, or inside of the right foot, lifting the right heel, or pushing off the right foot just didn't work.

It then occurred to me that I have been bumping/sliding my hips forward on every tennis serve without giving it a thought.  It also occurred to me that a number of "principles" were "similar" in both, though the movements are obviously not identical.  The weight shifts and not rotating the shoulders come to mind; at least in my mind.

So far it is a work in progress, and it doesn't feel right at times, but overall my shots are so much cleaner; and with less effort.  Timing is so important and elusive.  I'm not sure if I'll need to change it up a bit as time goes on, but I don't even think of the sequence or turning in the downswing anymore as it just happens.

Just thought I'd share.

John

I fully admit i’m not well versed in biomechanics but I cannot see how a tennis serve is even remotely comparable to a golf swing. The ball is at the complete opposite position of a golf ball. The goal in golf is to get the ball airborne, tennis serve is airborne to ground and nobody serves a tennis ball with two hands. Am I right or is my utter lack of proprioception talking here?

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

2 hours ago, Vinsk said:

I fully admit i’m not well versed in biomechanics but I cannot see how a tennis serve is even remotely comparable to a golf swing. The ball is at the complete opposite position of a golf ball. The goal in golf is to get the ball airborne, tennis serve is airborne to ground and nobody serves a tennis ball with two hands. Am I right or is my utter lack of proprioception talking here?

My only swing thought is to Try and incorporate the slide into my golf swing as it is something I’ve done for decades serving.

As for similarities it’s academic if I’m swinging up at a tennis ball or down at a golf ball... weight shift, head and shoulder back, going straight up for the ball instead of turning my shoulders.  But I’m not suggesting someone take a tennis serve and just swing down.  That would be stupid.

John

While I don't disagree that any good swing requires some hip slide/lateral movement, for me it's the thought of rotating the hips to start the downswing that makes the lateral movement of the hips and weight shift to the lead foot happen automatically. This might just be a matter of feel versus what's really happening in the sequence of the swing, but for me this thought doesn't fail me. I don't know that I would have the same results if my main swing thought was to begin the downswing by "sliding" my hips. Just my two cents.

1 hour ago, aaguirr said:

makes the lateral movement of the hips and weight shift to the lead foot happen automatically

Well, good, but the article is for those who don't see this happen automatically. 🙂

1 hour ago, aaguirr said:

While I don't disagree that any good swing requires some hip slide/lateral movement, for me it's the thought of rotating the hips to start the downswing that makes the lateral movement of the hips and weight shift to the lead foot happen automatically. This might just be a matter of feel versus what's really happening in the sequence of the swing, but for me this thought doesn't fail me. I don't know that I would have the same results if my main swing thought was to begin the downswing by "sliding" my hips. Just my two cents.

Everybody has different feels and automatic movements. That’s why it’s important to identify what is actually happening versus what a person feels is happening.

Hogan wrote that he felt as if his left hip was being pulled open by a band at the top of the backswing. In reality he had one of the best lateral slides of all time. If people followed strictly what Hogan said he did, most people would end up spinning out with their weight over their trail foot.