IGNORED

Iron Covers?

Celler
Note: This thread is 5048 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I find it funny how so many people on this board preach about how players need to uphold the gentlemanly "integrity" of this sport yet are sitting at their computers calling people "gay" for using something meant to prolong the life of their very expensive clubs. I was under the impression that only childish high school kids used that term in that way.

In my TMX stand bag:

R580XD 10.5* Stiff
'07 Burner 5 Wood 18*
'09 Burner Rescue Hybrid #3 19* Stiff 3dx Ironwood #4 Stiff Idea Tech OS 5-PW Vokey SM 52*-08 CG11 SM 58*-08 White Hot XG #2 33.5"

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I find it funny how so many people on this board preach about how players need to uphold the gentlemanly "integrity" of this sport yet are sitting at their computers calling people "gay" for using something meant to prolong the life of their very expensive clubs. I was under the impression that only childish high school kids used that term in that way.

Excellent post.

:tmade: R15 14* Matrix Black Tie 7m3

:adams: Speedline Super S 3w & 5w Matrix Radix HD S VI

:callaway: X-12 4-PW Memphis 10

IONNOVEX  Type S GDT 50*, 54* & 62* Mitsubishi Rayon Kuro Kage Black 80ir

:odyssey: Tri-Ball SRT

-Landon

And playing golf in shorts!

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• 6 months later...
I have a fairly new set of MP-57's and would like them to stay that way aas long as possible. I recently bought a cheap set of iron covers for them, but they are very loose and I have already lost three of them. I am guessing that they were made for huge cavity-back clubs that have a very deep profile. In any case, I need some covers that will fit snugly on blade-like irons.

Any suggestions?

Driver: Burner 10.5 deg
5W: R7 18 deg
3H: Idea Tech
4-PW: MP-57
GW: Vokey 52 degSW: 56 degLW: 60 degPutter: Black Series 1 34"Ball: Pro V1

I can't help as I don't use head covers, but I just wanted to share Mizuno's recommendation not to use them (along with a few tips on caring for your clubs). From their golf club FAQ:

My forged irons have rust showing up on the face of the club, what should I do? Forged heads are made of mild carbon steel that is chrome plated. Once you start hitting golf balls, you scratch the surface of the chrome and eventually expose the raw steel to moisture, and chemicals that can cause rust to form. The best way to minimize rust is to keep the irons dry at all times, wipe them after every shot and at the end of the round with a dry cloth. When cleaning, use only a NYLON brush (no metal) and dry them with a dry towel. If you get some rust forming, spray the surface with WD-40, clean with a soft nylon brush or Scotchbrite pad and wipe them clean with a dry cloth. Some high nitrogen fertilizers, sandy soil conditions and water with high iron content can accelerate the production of rust. The use of iron head covers is not recommended as they trap moisture and accelerate the production of rust.

(

http://www.mizunousa.com/faqs.nsf/get?openform÷=golf ) Obviously, for some reason, this is a touchy subject, and plenty of people do use covers with no rust problems, but it's at least worth being aware of the manufacturer's recommendations IMO.

In the bag:
FT-iQ 10° driver, FT 21° neutral 3H
T-Zoid Forged 15° 3W, MX-23 4-PW
Harmonized 52° GW, Tom Watson 56° SW, X-Forged Vintage 60° LW
White Hot XG #1 Putter, 33"

I agree with zeg.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

A college golfer told me he used iron covers only for transporting clubs from site to site. At play site, he removes the covers until the event is over. Then, he cleans and dries clubheads, and puts covers back on for return trip.

He fears rust, and extra hassle, if he uses covers during a round.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

I uncover my driver and hybrids before a round. I think covering them back up, especially all my irons, would be a huge hassle.

Live, Breath, Golf.
My Home
FT-3 8.5* Driver
X22's
2i Hybrid 3i Hybrid 55* Wedge 60* Wedge PutterWhen Tiger puts spin on the ball, the ball does not hit the green and then spin back, the ball hits the green and the world spins forward.

I can't help as I don't use head covers, but I just wanted to share Mizuno's recommendation not to use them (along with a few tips on caring for your clubs). From their golf club FAQ:

Although Mizuno's explanation makes intellectual sense, I have to feel their recommendation is a little self-serving - if one's irons didn't get banged up and dinged as much, then they probably wouldn't get replaced quite as often. Mizuno players tend to stay Mizuno players (they DO make great irons!), so I can imagine not buying a new set quite as often if they aren't dinged up. Even just keeping a set for 1 extra year beyond 5-6 years is almost a 20% hit on replacement club sales.

Although Mizuno's explanation makes intellectual sense, I have to feel their recommendation is a little self-serving - if one's irons didn't get banged up and dinged as much, then they probably wouldn't get replaced quite as often. Mizuno players tend to stay Mizuno players (they DO make great irons!), so I can imagine not buying a new set quite as often if they aren't dinged up. Even just keeping a set for 1 extra year beyond 5-6 years is almost a 20% hit on replacement club sales.

That's true, they're certainly not disinterested, but given the rest of the advice, I think they're being honest here. After all, they specifically recommend against using metal-bristled brushes, so not all their advice is likely to cause increased wear. Personally, I don't think the kind of damage that would be protected by iron covers would really affect my purchasing decisions. The only exception is when my bag fell of the cart and dragged behind long enough for me to realize what happened and stop. Fortunately, my irons didn't really get damaged, though wouldn't you know it was one of the few times I didn't put my driver cover back on. At least it was only superficial scraping...

In the bag:
FT-iQ 10° driver, FT 21° neutral 3H
T-Zoid Forged 15° 3W, MX-23 4-PW
Harmonized 52° GW, Tom Watson 56° SW, X-Forged Vintage 60° LW
White Hot XG #1 Putter, 33"

here we go again...........

ive said it before and ill say it again
irons & wedges (not drivers & putters for the smart a$$es out there) are meant to get banged up, beat up and bruised
yes u spent your hard earned cash on them, but they should look like they have been used
otherwise keep them in your closet
"My swing is homemade - but I have perfect flaws!" - Me

here we go again...........

To the OP: Use the search function. There are a lot of iron cover threads.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

there are tons of iron cover threads, but I will say this. Ive used iron covers on my irons for awhile now and I will never not use them again. I wipe my iron with my towel after every shot that then slip my cover back on that is on my bag next to my towel, it is not a hassel whatsoever in any way shape or form to use them while playing. The headcovers themselves are getting little slits and dings on them though. It just shows you how much the irons are getting dinged up and hit without them on, I mean I have cuts all over my iron covers but they are still protecting them.

I use Club Glove Glove skins. I'm also very anal. During the round I wipe the clubs clean then recover. Then either when I get home (if I'm not playing the next day) I will clean my clubs. After cleaning I leave them uncovered. I don't cover them again until the next day to insure they are dry. Now if I'm playing multiple days in a row, i will wait and do the cleaning after all rounds are finished. It's your equipment, take care of it like you want to, not how someone else tells you you should. Also, it really dose not slow play as it only takes an extra second to put the cover on after cleaning with a towel.

Driver - Speedline Fast 10: 10.5 Matrix HD Stiff
Woods - Big Bertha 5 wood
R9 4 wood
Irons - 07 X Forged 4-PW
Wedges - X Forged 50, 54, 58 Vokey Spin Milled 64Ball - Tour i Gamer V2

Club Glove Gloveskins.

+1..These are great head covers. I have been using them on my forged Irons for 4 years and have yet to see rust!

If I'm using a cart, I will use Iron covers since they move around in different directions and smack into the Graphite shafts of my Drivers. I have ruined 3 shafts because of it. If I'm walking, I will remove my Iron covers and leave them in the trunk of my car. They are a real pain to remove and recover while walking a round. I noticed while walking they do hang down and don't get as dinged up as when in a cart.

I have to get a new set of Mizunos every 20 years or so - damned bag chatter!!

I like the sound of forged blades clicking together in a bag and the sound of putting one back in the bag. I'm so old.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Note: This thread is 5048 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!