IGNORED

Return of the Colored Golf Balls

Note: This thread is 5189 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. Colored Golf Balls?

• Yes please!
    • Oh golly no!

IMO, the return of colored golf balls is long overdue. The snooty "traditionalists" can claim that golf balls are supposed to be white all they want, but the popularity of pink golfballs for women shows that there is a market for something other than white golf balls.

Whats in my :sunmountain: C-130 cart bag?

Woods: :mizuno: JPX 850 9.5*, :mizuno: JPX 850 15*, :mizuno: JPX-850 19*, :mizuno: JPX Fli-Hi #4, :mizuno: JPX 800 Pro 5-PW, :mizuno: MP T-4 50-06, 54-09 58-10, :cleveland: Smart Square Blade and :bridgestone: B330-S

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

IMO, the return of colored golf balls is long overdue. The snooty "traditionalists" can claim that golf balls are supposed to be white all they want, but the popularity of pink golfballs for women shows that there is a market for something other than white golf balls.

Bah, women not being allowed to play golf is traditional too. I'll take both: white balls and no women on the golf course. Traditionalist field day!

That's sarcasm, buds. I think colored golf balls fill the same category as the beads you use to count your score, iron head covers on the golf course, and the little tassles on golf shoes. I don't go out of my way to say anything to other people, or even really care what other people use or do, but I won't use them for myself. And that part isn't sarcasm.

"The expert golfer has maximum time to make minimal compensations. The poorer player has minimal time to make maximum compensations." - And no, I'm not Mac. Please do not PM me about it. I just think he is a crazy MFer and we could all use a little more crazy sometimes.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I normally always play white, but at certain times of the year, like late fall, winter, the sun gets so low in the sky it can be really difficult to see white balls in the rough due to the glare on some holes. At that time, I like to switch to yellow or orange just to prevent losing balls.

I play yellow ultra's
Easier to find when your in the long stuff most of the time!

My Clubs
Driver - LV4 10* R flex
Wood - sam snead persimmon 2 wood (for windy days)
Hybrid burner tour launch 20* stiff flex.
Irons - Tour Mode 3i,4i stiffIrons - FP's 5-PW R-flexWedge - spin milled 54.14Wedge - spin milled 60.07Putter - Victoria Lowest round 2010: 79 (par 70)Latest rounds at...

I prefer white golf balls and tees. If there are bunch of leaves on the ground, I'd consider yellow golf balls.

HiBore XLS Tour 9.5*
Adams Fast10 15* 3W
A2OS 3H-7iron 60* LW
8iron Precept Tour Premium cb
9iron and 45* PW 50* GW 56* SW m565 and 455 VfoilPutter Anser Belly Putter Ball in order of preference TPblack e5 V2  AD333

Other than courses that run too close to the driving range, this seems like a good idea. A more visible ball can't be a bad thing, apart from tradition.

Two of the courses I play have the driving ranges just left of the first holes. It's a huge delay on those two holes....waiting for folks to ramble around the range to find their wayward tee shots. Maybe hi-biz balls is the answer.

909D Comp 9.5* (house MATRIX OZIK XCON-6)
Burner Superfast 3 & 5 woods (house MATRIX OZIK XCON-4.8)
G15 Hybrid 23* (AWT shaft)
G5 5 iron-PW-46*, UW-50*, SW-54 & LW-58 (AWT shaft)
Studio Select Newport 2 Mid SlantGrips: PING cords & Golf Pride New Decade Multi-Coumpound Bag: C-130...

voted yes... I'd never play them, but would like watching other people play them.
My Clubs: Callaway FT-i Tour LCG 9.5° w/ Matrix Ozik Xcon 6 stiff; Sonartec GS Tour 14° w/ Graphite Design Red Ice 70 stiff; Adams Idea Pro 2h(18°) & 3h(20°) w/ Aldila VS Proto 80 stiff; Adams Idea Pro Forged 4-PW w/ TT Black Gold stiff; Cleveland CG12 DSG RTG 52°-10° & 58°-10°; Odyssey...

Colored golf balls very helpful in late fall and early spring because of sky conditions. If sky is cloudy white or light gray, I have trouble tracking higher shots. Orange balls are easiest for me to see, despite what tests say about yellow.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Has anyone else mentioned that the colored balls are just more fun? I mean, come on, who could get mad playing a pink ball with a ladybug pattern! It would by hysterical to drive one of these 300 yards right down the center of the fairway, then 3 wood it to the green on a long par 5.

I mark my balls with silly faces, so when I address them on the tee box, I am looking at the silly little face. This helps me relax, and I hit about 85% of fairways, and 80% of par 3 GIRs.

The yellow one's would be ok. They are easy on the eyes. But I have so many white one's stocked piled, I'll probably not use them. When I played tennis in my younger days, I certainly preferred the yellow over the white. Much easier to follow. Not sure you can even find white tennis balls anymore.

Sub 70 849 9* driver

:callaway:  Rogue 3 & 5 woods, Rogue X 4 & 5 hybrids

:tmade: SIM 2 6-gap irons

:cobra:  King snakebite grove wedges 52 & 58*

:ping: Heppler ZB3 putter

I don't care what anyone else uses, but I'll stay with white. For one thing, I don't think I've ever seen a premium ball in anything but white, so that pretty much leaves me there by default.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

if they create the the type of ball i use in colors, i'd use them-- without apologies. by knowing which by is yours when you approach you can stay more focused on your shot.
Bag: Three Five Yellow
Driver: 905R 9.5 Degree, Fujikawa Shaft Shift
3-Wood: Sumo2 15 degree
Hybrids 19 and 21 degree
Irons tour x-20 (5-PW)Wedges vokey 52.08,56.14, 60.04Putter circa 62 #1: Pro V1Where I usually play: Rush Creek

• Administrator
I don't care what anyone else uses, but I'll stay with white. For one thing, I don't think I've ever seen a premium ball in anything but white, so that pretty much leaves me there by default.

The original ball pictured in the first post is a premium ball. In yellow. They say the trend may be coming back.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Nike released black golf balls before

My Clubs
Driver - LV4 10* R flex
Irons - Tour Mode 3i,4i stiffIrons - FP's 5-PW R-flexWedge - spin milled 54.14Wedge - spin milled 60.07Putter - Victoria Lowest round 2010: 79 (par 70)Latest rounds at...

I voted yes because I am fine if they come back, but I probably wouldn't use them.

I used them back in the day-mostly orange and some yellow, but this time I will probably stick to white.

Don

In the bag:

Driver: PING 410 Plus 9 degrees, Alta CB55 S  Fairway: Callaway Rogue 3W PX Even Flow Blue 6.0; Hybrid: Titleist 818H1 21* PX Even Flow Blue 6.0;  Irons: Titleist 718 AP1 5-W2(53*) Shafts- TT AMT Red S300 ; Wedges Vokey SM8 56-10D Putter: Scotty Cameron 2016 Newport 2.5  Ball: Titleist AVX or 2021 ProV1

Nike released black golf balls before

Yeah, what were they thinking when making those? You'd have to aim at the bunkers to prevent losing them in the rough all the time.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Yeah, what were they thinking when making those? You'd have to aim at the bunkers to prevent losing them in the rough all the time.

They look great but yeah you've got a point, a white ball when it's sitting down in the round is hard enough to find never mind a black one!

My Clubs
Driver - LV4 10* R flex

I am going to buy a case of these hi-viz Srixons when I find them for sale. I used to love the Pinnacles. As I got better at golf, I wanted something other than rock hard cheap distance balls. I use white balls of course since that is all that is available in good quality balls (till now). Very proud of Srixon for bringing the yellow back and using a premium tour quality ball like the Z-Star to do it with. That is one amazing golf ball and I have been a loyal fan of it for some time. I can't wait to find this ball in yellow. So much easier to see in flight and find once on the ground.

Note: This thread is 5189 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!