IGNORED

Do you wear a glove when playing golf?

Note: This thread is 2163 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Gloves  

99 members have voted

1. 1. Do you use a glove?

• Yes
    • No
    • Sometimes

5 hours ago, 9wood said:

All last year I played wearing a glove. This year I haven't used one. It seems as though I am playing just as well, if not better without a glove this year. Or maybe it's those new clubs I acquired. Has anyone else in this forum tried playing without the glove? And if so does it make a difference for you.

I haven't used a glove for 15 years.  I found no difference in my game when I quit using one.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

10 hours ago, 9wood said:

All last year I played wearing a glove. This year I haven't used one. It seems as though I am playing just as well, if not better without a glove this year. Or maybe it's those new clubs I acquired. Has anyone else in this forum tried playing without the glove? And if so does it make a difference for you.

I edited the post and added a poll.

I don't usually wear them. I feel I get a better grips and feedback without them. I only wear them on hot days wear my hands get very sweaty or in the rain. On those days, I just wear rain gloves.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

I have worn a glove for close to 55 years.  It feels "funny" when I play a shot without a glove. I imagine that if I stopped wearing one, I would get used to the feel but at this point in my life I can afford buying a glove now and then so I don't plan to stop wearing one.  

I noted a blurb that estimated 95% of PGA Tour players wear a glove.  I have no way of knowing how accurate that number is.  It was also noted that 85% of Tour players remove the glove when putting, as do I.  

Brian Kuehn

I always wear a glove because I hurt my left hand otherwise.  My right hand is fine without the glove.  I guess it has something to do with my grip and the fact that I don't do a lot of hard work with my hands so that would mean I get hurt before I start to get calluses.  However, I am not fussy about the glove other than it has to fit me.  Even if I play with old gloves it is fine, but I need a glove on my hand

What's in the bag

• Taylor Made r5 dual Draw 9.5* (stiff)
  • Cobra Baffler 4H (stiff)
  • Taylor Made RAC OS 6-9,P,S (regular)
  • Golden Bear LD5.0 60* (regular)
  • Aidia Z-009 Putter
  • Inesis Soft 500 golf ball

Since all of my clubs have new grips on them I personally think I get better feel without the glove. Back when I had worn out grips I went to the hardware store and bought a pair of those rubber work gloves that have a tacky feel to them and use them until I either got new grips or new clubs. They worked out pretty well.

I have gone back and forth between wearing one and not wearing one. Typically when I stop wearing one it's because the one I have wears out and I don't feel like paying the price the course charges and rarely go to the store for golf equipment. I take off my glove for "feel" shots like pitches, chips, and putts though. I probably wouldn't bother at all with a glove if I would just spring for some good grips. When the ones I have wear out I'll probably go ahead and get some nice grips and forego the glove.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

2 hours ago, bkuehn1952 said:

I noted a blurb that estimated 95% of PGA Tour players wear a glove.  I have no way of knowing how accurate that number is.  It was also noted that 85% of Tour players remove the glove when putting, as do I.  

Last year, I started to remove my glove when I got to the green and my putting speed greatly improved.  The putterhead just felt so much more free flowing.

• Upvote 1

Just now, sarena1594 said:

Last year, I started to remove my glove when I got to the green and my putting speed greatly improved.  The putterhead just felt so much more free flowing.

I remove my glove between shots, too.  Keeps the glove from getting sweaty.  Also, for vanity reasons, I don't like the "one really white hand" look from wearing a glove all the time.

• Upvote 1

Brian Kuehn

1 minute ago, bkuehn1952 said:

I remove my glove between shots, too.  Keeps the glove from getting sweaty.  Also, for vanity reasons, I don't like the "one really white hand" look from wearing a glove all the time.

That's also something I see pros doing often during a round.  I can only seem to get myself to do it on those hot, humid summer days.  Maybe I should get into the habit of doing it every time, even if it just means avoiding the infamous glove tan.  Not to mention the day after the round when you check your bag and all the sweat dried and the glove is all crinkled up.

37 minutes ago, sarena1594 said:

That's also something I see pros doing often during a round.  I can only seem to get myself to do it on those hot, humid summer days.  Maybe I should get into the habit of doing it every time, even if it just means avoiding the infamous glove tan.  Not to mention the day after the round when you check your bag and all the sweat dried and the glove is all crinkled up.

I sweat a lot so can't use the Titleist golf gloves otherwise next time I pull it out of my bag it looks like a dead lizard. All dried and crispy. 

7 hours ago, bkuehn1952 said:

If you have one tanned hand and one untanned hand people will think you're wearing a glove even when you aren't

I started playing the Winn Excel grips when they first came out - mid 90s. So comfortable, and the softness made a glove obsolete to me even in humidity or rain.

Since then, I have also played a variety of standard, tour velvet, grips with bare hands as well. Avoiding the corded style mitigates hand abuse.

Gambling is illegal at Bushwood sir, and I never slice.   

No glove, they're gross. 

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

I wear one because the club rubs against the meaty right side of my palm when I swing and the glove seems to take some of that abuse.

Also, I picked up a couple pairs of Maxfli gloves at Dick's last year and the things were absolutely garbage.  I don't know what they were made out of but they had a hole worn in the palm after 2 rounds.  The good thing is they were on clearance and I think I paid maybe $1.50 or $2 for them.

• 5 months later...

Interested to see the breakdown; The first couple years I played when I was a kid I used a glove but quit and never went back, i've been glove-less for 95% of my golfing life.

Edited by MrGolfguy67

Carry on my wayward drive

There'll be pars when you are done

Lay your weary wedge to rest

Don't you shank no more 

I've calluses on my left and right index fingers and lots of wear on the glove heel pad, but I've also played glove-less many times with no significant difference. I sometimes may remove a glove for putting, but not always. So I guess I would say that I wear a glove solely out of habit. 

Edited by Hacker James

"James"

:titleist: 913 D3 with Aldila RIP Phenom 60 4,2 Regular Shaft,  :touredge: Exotics XCG-7 Beta 3W with Matrix Red Tie Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX8 19 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3 Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX9 28 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3  shaft, / Bobby Jones Black 22 deg Hybrid:touredge: Exotics EXi 6 -PW  w UST Mamiya Recoil F2 Shaft, SW (56),GW (52),LW (60):touredge:  TGS),/ ODDYSEE Metal-X #7 customized putter (400G, cut down Mid Belly)

Note: This thread is 2163 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!