IGNORED

5 Wedges, Anyone?

Note: This thread is 1225 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I carry 48* (PW), 56*, 60*, and 64*.

The 64* is an old piece of junk club that I use once every 5 rounds or so, and I just carry it because I have the room in my bad. I'd like to add a 4h, since I only carry PW-5, actually.

The club selection of a true hacker:

Driver: Nike Dymo2 SQ
3 and 5 Wood: Nike Dymo2 SQ
Irons: Adams Idea Tech OS Hybrid Irons (5-PW)
Wedges: Maxfli 56* and 60*
Putter: Odyssey White Ice #1 in Copper

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 5 years later...

I play 5 if you include the T-D taylormade pw that comes with the set. 5 is definitely not too many. You take 70-80% of your shots from 100 yards and in? Why not have the tools to score well? 

How many times do you hit a 3 or 4 iron to 6 or 8 feet a round for birdie? How many times a round do you have a wedge into the green for birdie? A lot more. 

Read Dave Pelz short game bible. He lays out the science and actual statistics. Good read. 

Sure why not. It is the direction golf is headed.  No man's land used to be 80 yards in. Now there is a club and a swing for every distance.

If you face a bunch of sub 80 yards shots you are either Rory long and consistent or your problems start on the tee and you miss a lot of greens. 

Dave :-)

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I believe nearly everyone faces lots of shots from under 40 yards, because even the good ball strikers miss 1/3 of the greens or more.

Pelz came up with some good logical thinking with his idea of 3 different standard swings with the wedges and using 4 different lofts to create 12 different wedge distances.

13 hours ago, ppine said:

I believe nearly everyone faces lots of shots from under 40 yards, because even the good ball strikers miss 1/3 of the greens or more.

Pelz came up with some good logical thinking with his idea of 3 different standard swings with the wedges and using 4 different lofts to create 12 different wedge distances.

Discussed below. One key point with this technique is to remember to swing at your full swing speed. These shots are not pitches or chips, they are shorter backswing full swings. A lot of folks miss that part when reading Pelz.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

I often carry 18 clubs when I'm playing for practice I have 4 wedges and a bunch of hybrids. I find I need the hybrids and only really 2 wedges mostly. The extra wedges help yes,but 5 is to many. Most pro's have a nice gapping system say 50- 55 -60-and maybe a 63 lobber it depends.

On ‎5‎/‎18‎/‎2010 at 11:33 PM, mlf16507 said:

Throw out the 45* PW and have your irons bent to players specs-not hackers
PW-48
9-44
8-40
7-36
6-32
5-28
4-24

Then you have 4* between clubs. You can do a Ryan Moore and 5* if you want.

Add 64 * wedge if you play course with elevated, fast greens

I like your thinking MLF.  These are more like the old club stats.  I started playing on some Ping Eye 2 and these numbers match the clubs.  PW was 50 and I learned how to do a lot with that club from inside 100 yards.  Chip, flop, bump and run.  Learned how to do some nice shots with the SW as well and that was 57. 

With my new clubs I am in the spot of looking to fill holes in gaps but usually just throw my Eye 2 W and SW in the bag and use them.

Driver: :callaway: Diablo
Woods: :callaway: Big Bertha 2 & 4
Irons: Miura MC 102's 3 - PW & Mizuno MP 67's 3 - W
Wedges: :mizuno: MP-R12 52* & 58*
Putters: :ping: WRX Ti4

I'm pretty sure most of us that carry 5 wedges are including our PW in that. So we are basically throwing in a 64 and take out a long iron. Not that big of an adjustment

3 minutes ago, 5wedgeguy said:

I'm pretty sure most of us that carry 5 wedges are including our PW in that. So we are basically throwing in a 64 and take out a long iron. Not that big of an adjustment

Stock PW these days are basically a 10 iron though. I don't consider a club a wedge unless it has some practical greenside usability.

:callaway: Big Bertha Alpha 815 DBD  :bridgestone: TD-03 Putter   
:tmade: 300 Tour 3W                 :true_linkswear: Motion Shoes
:titleist: 585H Hybrid                       
:tmade: TP MC irons                 
:ping: Glide 54             
:ping: Glide 58
:cleveland: 588 RTX 62

7 minutes ago, 5wedgeguy said:

My PW is 50 degrees. I use it around the green to chip all the time. 

50 degrees is the start of your 5 wedge set.? The lofts must be awfully bunched up.

:callaway: Big Bertha Alpha 815 DBD  :bridgestone: TD-03 Putter   
:tmade: 300 Tour 3W                 :true_linkswear: Motion Shoes
:titleist: 585H Hybrid                       
:tmade: TP MC irons                 
:ping: Glide 54             
:ping: Glide 58
:cleveland: 588 RTX 62

Have a good look at the usage of your fairway woods and do yhe math.You may find it better to take ,say,your 3 wood out and use your hybrid wood to cover off. I like the thought of more wedges whatever the combination.Having the right wedge in hand will give you greater connfidence all up.

Note: This thread is 1225 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!