IGNORED

300 yards - fact or fiction: Post your experience

Fat Slice
Note: This thread is 5020 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. My driving AVERAGE with a DRIVER when hitting ALL OUT.

• I am a 20+ handicap and average 300 or better
    • I am a 20+ handicap and average under 300
    • I am a 15-20 handicap and average 300 or better
    • I am a 15-20 handicap and average under 300
    • I am a 10-15 handicap and average 300 or better
    • I am a 10-15 handicap and average under 300
    • I am a 0-10 handicap and average 300 or better
    • I am a 0-10 handicap and average under 300
    • I am a + handicap and average 300 or better
    • I am a + handicap and average under 300

Just got back from a round of golf today. Average drive was only like 330 but I was hitting uphill into the wind.

Been getting into the pharmaceuticals again, I see.

My Implements of Destruction (carried in a Hoofer Lite bag):

DRIVER: Big Bertha Diablo 10 degree draw, Aldila regular flex
FAIRWAY WOODS: G2 14 degree 3 wood & 17 degree 5 wood
IRONS: S59 3-PWWEDGES: M/B 54, 58, & 60 degree PUTTER: I Series Anser 4 (or G5i Anser, Anser 2F, or original...

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hit one last week that went about 340... The funny thing is I did not even get at it but I pured it... I have a friend who hits it long, actually a few of them and I was by them quit a ways... They were just laughing as it was a par 5 and I hit 8 iron into the green to about 20 feet...

A couple 300 yard drives this year. I love that feeling. But my drives average out to be around 250-260. I'm not a big hitter by any means. I find my way around the course though :P

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha Diablo 9º
2 Hybrid: Callaway Big Bertha Heavenwood
Irons: Nike Slingshot OSS 6-3 iron
          Taylormade Tour Preferred PW-7 iron
Wedges: Cleveland CG14 50º, 54º
              Taylormade RAC 58º
Putter: Ping Darby 32" shaft

The key is AVEARAGE, I hit my 3 wood about 270, so I hit it alot for the control. Plus, if you start ripping off 320-330 you have to begin to cut off dog legs becasue most courses are not designed for that type of length, even from the tips. I hit probably 5 drivers a round so if you are talking averages I'm probably 285 ish. But a nice pured driver with a nice little draw on a par 5 is nice, especially when I get to turn to one of the guys in the group hitting 3 and let them know they are still out!!!!

legit 300 - sea level, flat fairway, no wind, average roll...

Me either. The last time I played at sea level I was hitting a wound ball with a persimmon driver.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Me either. The last time I played at sea level I was hitting a wound ball with a persimmon driver.

I wonder how many of the folks who have started playing golf in the last decade would have snapped every club over their knee and given up if they'd actually had to hit the ball on the sweet spot to move it over a hundred yards.

:ping:

• G400 - 9° /Alta CB 55 Stiff / G410-SFT - 16° /Project X 6.0S 85G / G410 - 20.5° /Tensei Orange 75S
  • G710 - 4 iron/SteelFiber i110cw Stiff • / i210 - 5 iron - UW / AWT 2.0 Stiff
  • Glide SS - 54° / CFS Wedge / Glide 2.0 SS - 58°/10 / KBS 120S / Hoofer - Black

:scotty_cameron: - Select Squareback / 35"  -  :titleist: - Pro V1 / White  -  :clicgear: - 3.5+ / White

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I wonder how many of the folks who have started playing golf in the last decade would have snapped every club over their knee and given up if they'd actually had to hit the ball on the sweet spot to move it over a hundred yards.

My first fairway wood was about the size of a plum. I loved those things. Nothing in the world felt more solid than a ball hitting persimmon.

My first fairway wood was about the size of a plum. I loved those things. Nothing in the world felt more solid than a ball hitting persimmon.

Bigger than a dog turd, I've got two new Louisville Persimmons in my bag now; they are fun to hit. Sorry, i digress, back to topic.

"You can live to be a hundred if you give up all the things that make you want to live to be a hundred." Woody Allen
My regular pasture.

My first fairway wood was about the size of a dog turd. I loved those things. Nothing in the world felt more solid than a ball hitting persimmon.

When I was in college, I found a Louisville Golf persimmon driver with a graphite shaft and an old Callaway Hickory Stick wedge in a bin of second hand junk. Got 'em both for less than $50. That driver was so money, everyone wanted to tee off with it. We were addicted to the sweet "crack" that it made when you caught a ball pure.

• G400 - 9° /Alta CB 55 Stiff / G410-SFT - 16° /Project X 6.0S 85G / G410 - 20.5° /Tensei Orange 75S
  • Glide SS - 54° / CFS Wedge / Glide 2.0 SS - 58°/10 / KBS 120S / Hoofer - Black

:scotty_cameron: - Select Squareback / 35"  -  :titleist: - Pro V1 / White  -  :clicgear: - 3.5+ / White

Do you still play with them? I thought my persimmon days were over until I bought a batch (8 woods) from ebay for about $20 (plus shipping) and there were a few that were in great shape and had really nice shafts in them. They rekindled my interest in persimmon. Sure there were some throwaways (one cracked neck, one mashed face, one generally a POS head with a POS shaft) but I got a nice Lynx a decent Spalding, and the following 3 absolute gems:

MacGregor VIP with mint condition MacGregor S shaft. I had it regripped after using it at indoor golf a few times. The last time out with it (outside) I hit a drive 308 yards on number 9 at River Bend. It was glorious - 20 yards longer than my previous long drive on that hole (the fairway narrows at 270 - water right and trees left so anything more than 3w is foolhardy). It was probably the hardest and purest strike I've ever put on a golf ball in my life - before it landed (yes, it landed) I got a chill. Cleveland Classic 2 wood and 4 wood with mint condition leather grips (still soft and tacky) and DG S300 shafts. The 2w is staight as an arrow and the 4-wood is easier to work than a 5-iron. endthreadjack/

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

When I was in college, I found a Louisville Golf persimmon driver with a graphite shaft and an old Callaway Hickory Stick wedge in a bin of second hand junk. Got 'em both for less than $50. That driver was so money, everyone wanted to tee off with it. We were addicted to the sweet "crack" that it made when you caught a ball pure.

I have a Powerbilt Citation like that. It has an R shaft so you really have to swing smooth, but the look and swingweight are just simply perfect - a lot of people have hit that club over the years. I actually had people offer to buy it - pride and stupidity made me keep it.

If am hitting it on the screws on a nice day, no wind..probably averaging close to 290-300...but I would say on avg I am closer to 280. I have nutted a couple 340 yard drives this year (drove a few greens).

I don't have an official handicap right now, but if I am playing well I will shoot under par..probably close to a 2-3 handicap though.

I have a Powerbilt Citation like that. It has an R shaft so you really have to swing smooth, but the look and swingweight are just simply perfect - a lot of people have hit that club over the years. I actually had people offer to buy it - pride and stupidity made me keep it.

Both were in my bag that was stolen many years ago. Those two clubs are the only ones I miss.

I average under 300, of course. But to think that ams don't ever hits 300+ drives is silly. I'm 6'4", in decent shape and can generate a lot of clubhead speed. So on occasion I can really poke one out there.

People are really hung up on this distance stuff. lol

I average under 300, of course. But to think that ams don't ever hits 300+ drives is silly. I'm 6'4", in decent shape and can generate a lot of clubhead speed. So on occasion I can really poke one out there.

By no means do I think that amateurs can't hit it 300 now and again, I've done it more than a few times, and seen it done every now and then. But the

average drive, or the average good drive clearly correlates to handicap at least 90-95% of the time. The only guys I've known who could put it near/over 300 at will were super low digit/near scratch golfers. I played with two guys during law school who were around 20 or 25 'cappers who were tall and fit, and had the swing speed to carry the ball more than 300. But only when they got lucky and hit it square, usually they were offline (way offline), or they mishit their drives severely. All of which makes sense-I don't swing nearly as hard as they do, but I played with far more frequency, and they never practiced-just out to play around, drink a few beers and have a good time. I love going to the range, I love working on my short game for an hour and a half, and I hit at least a few putts/chips in my livingroom every night. Optimistically, my average good drive is probably 265. Mishits are extremely rare now-somedays I've averaged 280, but other days it's 250 or less. Despite this meager average I've only been paired with ONE golfer in the last 21 months who consistently hit it longer than me, and he was a college player with a gorgeous swing.

Ive been around my share of guys who talked 300 yards but they rarely brought it out to the course. They are too busy messing around in the woods for thier balls. Of the 100+ golfers that I know, there might be 2 who routinely hit 300 and they are pretty humble about it.

Note: This thread is 5020 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!