IGNORED

What wedges should a beginner have in his bag?

Note: This thread is 3991 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I keep reading conflicting articles online about beginners and the wedges they should have in their bag. My questions really is should I have a lob and or gap wedge in the bag?

Most articles agree that the Gap Wedge doesn't need to be in the bag, but the Lob Wedge is kind of 50/50.

Hoping some of you guys can help me out better with why or why not I should buy 1 of the 2.

In my bag:
R9 Driver 10.5 - R-Flex - Graphite
R9 3 & 5 Woods - R-Flex - Graphite
Tight Lies GT 2-8 Irons - R-Flex - Steel
Tight Lies IDEA A1 56* Sand Wedge - Steel Ascent 2 48* Pitching Wedge - Graphite IC 20-10B Mid Mallet 33" Dura Feel V Glove NXT Tour Ball

I think you should go with a lob wedge (60-57), and a sand wedge/gap wedge (56-52). Right now I don't think you will need anything more than this, because more wedges are for specialty shots. Also, if you are unsure of what wedges to buy, I suggest Titleist or I heard the Scratch wedges are good. Btw, I use a 58 and 52 degree wedge. Hope this helps.

Driver: 909 D3
3 Wood: 909 F3 13
Rescue: 909 17
Irons: AP2 3-PW
Wedges 58 degree and 52 Spin Milled (oil can) Newport 2(custom shop):taylormade: TP Penta 4-Under Golf Bag (Red/White)

thanks

I got my eye on and Adams Tight Lies IDEA A1 Lob Wedge for like 20-30$ on EBay. I got the SW and I like it. Just not 100% sure yet. Hopefully I get a few more opinions.

In my bag:
Tight Lies IDEA A1 56* Sand Wedge - Steel Ascent 2 48* Pitching Wedge - Graphite IC 20-10B Mid Mallet 33" Dura Feel V Glove NXT Tour Ball

love my 60* but for many mid-high handicappers they say it is difficult to control. I think it is like anything else (all in your head). If you are comfortable and confident with the club it will likely perform well.

I keep reading conflicting articles online about beginners and the wedges they should have in their bag. My questions really is should I have a lob and or gap wedge in the bag?

If you're a beginner, there's a good chance the set you're playing has an AW option. My suggestion is to extend your irons down to there, and then include a 56°. I'm pretty sure the R9s you're looking at have this as an option; get 3-A instead of 3-P.

The LW? No. I had one as a beginner, and spent a lot of time practicing with it for no gain. AW? Absolutely. It's essentially an 11-iron at this point. You can get more wedgie when you are more proficient.
  • Upvote 1

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

A lob wedge is the last club a beginner needs to add to their bag. If you need to fill in a spot I'd go with a gap wedge-depending on what your "gap" is between your PW and SW.

If you're a beginner, there's a good chance the set you're playing has an AW option. My suggestion is to extend your irons down to there, and then include a 56°. I'm pretty sure the R9s you're looking at have this as an option; get 3-A instead of 3-P.

Looks like Shindig beat me to it. This post is right on point.

I've been wondering about this as well, and since I can't figure out the exact loft (of course, without having it measured) of the PW in my 855 (not the silver scot) set, I only have that plus a 55* in my bag. Not quite sure if I want to replace the old 55*, or what I'd go with in terms of club in general, as well as loft. Any suggestions?

What's in my Tartan Precise TS-869 Bag:
Woods: Northwestern 1W, 3W, stock grip
Hybrids: 855 Graphite shaft 3H, 4H, Golf Pride Tour Wrap midsize grips
Irons: 855 R flex steel shaft 5-PW, Golf Pride Tour Wrap midsize grips
Wedges: PureSpin Tour Series Diamond Face 52* AW, 56* SW, 60* LW, Golf Pride...

I'm almost embarrassed to ask... but what exactly is the AW? I've googled it not 2 days ago to no avail. Thanks

In my bag:

i only have a pw and 56
i wish i went with the 54 / 58 combo instead cause i find i'm in the 54 range a lot more
ohw ell i'll adjust

My Clubs:
Ping I3 + blade 3-pw
9.5 09 Burner with prolaunch red
Nickent 4dx driver
Taylormade Z tp 52, 56, 60
YES Carolyne putter

I also might just upgrade my PW. The PW I got now is old. How old? Not sure I got it from a friend for free. I know it's not that good quality at all. I like the PW in general as a club to hit, so upgrading to a better one just might be the best option I have right now until I figure out which of the LW, GW and AW suits my game best.

I smell a Golfer's Warehouse trip coming up in the next few days to try a few of each.

In my bag:

IMO, all a beginner needs is a 52 and a 56*. Unless you are a highly skilled player, chances are you cant hit a 58* or 60* consistently anyways...

Whats in my :sunmountain: C-130 cart bag?

Woods: :mizuno: JPX 850 9.5*, :mizuno: JPX 850 15*, :mizuno: JPX-850 19*, :mizuno: JPX Fli-Hi #4, :mizuno: JPX 800 Pro 5-PW, :mizuno: MP T-4 50-06, 54-09 58-10, :cleveland: Smart Square Blade and :bridgestone: B330-S

thanks for all these answers guys. I'm glad I stumbled across this forum. I mean it's phenomonal. Much better to get back and forth between members, compared to reading an article and not being able to ask questions.

In my bag:

Attack or Approach wedge. I think it's another term for gap wedge, fits in between SW and PW.

Joe Paradiso

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Just gets what fits. Your gonna have to learn them eventually.

OHIO

In my Revolver Bag
R9 460, RIP
R9 TP 3 Wood, Diamana 'ilima 70*Idea Pro Black 20*Titleist AP1 712 4-AW Spin Milled Black Nickel 56.08 & 60.10

Attack or Approach wedge. I think it's another term for gap wedge, fits in between SW and PW.

i dont think it's the same as a Gap, because in Tiger Wood Golf 2010 it's a completely seperate club. I'm 99% sure in the game it goes AW, LW, SW, GW, PW

In my bag:

These are decisions I faced recently.

This is pretty spot-on. I got a GW and a LW. The GW comes out on almost every hole, the LW stays in the bag awaiting specialty shots a couple times a round.

"Golf is an entire game built around making something that is naturally easy - putting a ball into a hole - as difficult as possible." - Scott Adams

Mid-priced ball reviews: Top Flight Gamer v2 | Bridgestone e5 ('10) | Titleist NXT Tour ('10) | Taylormade Burner TP LDP | Taylormade TP Black | Taylormade Burner Tour | Srixon Q-Star ('12)

Note: This thread is 3991 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!