IGNORED

Shaking Hands With Your Foursome / Removing Your Hat on 18th Green?

bigoak
Note: This thread is 1895 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

82 members have voted

1. 1. What do you do on the 18th green? (Choose all that apply, and it's anonymous, so be honest.)

• I almost always shake hands.
    • I often shake hands.
    • I sometimes shake hands.
    • I almost always remove my hat.
    • I often remove my hat.
    • I sometimes remove my hat.

No option for always shake hands? I do not believe I've ever not shaken everyone's hand on the 18th green...

edit: I usually take my hat off unless I'm playing with my dad and/or uncle then it's more casual

• 1 year later...

One of the first things you learn as a young golfer is to remove your hat when shaking hands and when entering the clubhouse.. Its seen as a big no no where I come from to leave your hat on when shaking someones hand (golf or not), passed down through many generations of coal miners that always wore hats.

Maybe it isn't seen as such a big thing in the states.

• Upvote 1

It really doesn't bother me if someone wears their hat inside. All the PGA players wear their hats in the press center. I just try not to be bothered by such trivial things.

It really doesn't bother me if someone wears their hat inside. All the PGA players wear their hats in the press center. I just try not to be bothered by such trivial things.

Its all to do with cultures ect, where I come from wearing your hat in a bar/pub (clubhouse) or even someones house is seen as incredibly rude..

Its not trivial in this part of the world, just as im sure some things you guys do would seem trivial to me and the folk around here.

Quote:

Originally Posted by caniac6

Its all to do with cultures ect, where I come from wearing your hat in a bar/pub (clubhouse) or even someones house is seen as incredibly rude..

Its not trivial in this part of the world, just as im sure some things you guys do would seem trivial to me and the folk around here.

I think there's also a certain amount of familiarity involved too, e.g. if a friend came over and was wearing a cap/flatcap/trilby etc I wouldn't think twice with them walking in and sitting there wearing it but if a complete stranger came in and didn't remove their hat I'd think it was odd. Personally I remove my hat if I'm being introduced to someone or when entering someone's house I don't know or a bar/restaurant because I've been brought up that it's respectful to do so.

I'm also a golf course hat-taker-offer but I wouldn't be offended if someone kept theirs on.

• Upvote 1

SWING DNA
Speed [77] Tempo [5] ToeDown [5] KickAngle [6] Release [5] Mizuno JPX EZ 10.5° - Fujikura Orochi Black Eye (with Harrison ShotMaker) Mizuno JPX EZ 3W/3H - Fujikura Orochi Black Eye Mizuno JPX 850 Forged 4i-PW - True Temper XP 115 S300 Mizuno MP R-12 50.06/54.09/58.10 - Dynamic Gold Wedge Flex Mizuno MP A305 [:-P]

Yup.  I have also learned to take my hat off after I tee off on 18 and clear all the random tee's that I stick in my visor.  Nothing like taking your hat off and ending up with a garage sale on the 18th green.

Joe

I shake hand but keep my glove on if I know someone has used toilet & didn't wash their hands (e.g, urinated in field behind trees).   But that's not the reason why I wear two gloves.

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Like brushing your teeth?

:w00t:

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Quote:

Originally Posted by caniac6

Don

:titleist: 910 D2, 8.5˚, Adila RIP 60 S-Flex
:titleist: 980F 15˚
:yonex: EZone Blades (3-PW) Dynamic Gold S-200
:vokey:   Vokey wedges, 52˚; 56˚; and 60˚
:scotty_cameron:  2014 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

If I'm playing with close friends, it's usually just a handshake. If I'm playing with people outside my immediate circle (the 3 guys I always play with), then I remove my hat and shake hands. Even if they are people I know well but wouldn't consider close friends, I still remove the hat. It just seems respectful.

not that big of a deal, but i think its still important to take off your hat indoors.

No cover, under cover. I learned that at home as a kid. If I walked into the house with my hat on, I got a smack on the back of the head. It's a habit. And our club has rules about it as well.

I don't know if I ever finished a round of golf without shaking hands all around.

Bill M

Always shake and am starting to remove hat more often if my hands are not already full with clubs, balls, club covers etc.

Rich C.

Driver Titleist 915 D3  9.5*
3 Wood TM RBZ stage 2 tour  14.5*
2 Hybrid Cobra baffler 17*
4Hybrid Adams 23*
Irons Adams CB2's 5-GW
Wedges 54* and 58* Titleist vokey
Putter Scotty Cameron square back 2014
Ball Srixon Zstar optic yellow
bushnell V2 slope edition

• Administrator

I've always shaken hands but, quite honestly, until I joined this forum I never knew removing your hat at the end of the round was also considered proper etiquette as well.

As has been stated a few times, it's not really. It's only a recent thing and not everyone does it.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

As has been stated a few times, it's not really. It's only a recent thing and not everyone does it.

This happened last weekend:  I replace the flag on 18 while the other 3 guys are starting to shake hands behind me, and when I turn around, all 3 of them have their hats in their hands.

OK, in this case, so as not to appear as an outcast, weirdo, I'll take my hat off ... but normally I do not.  It's just a random thing that they started doing on the PGA tour that everybody copied.

Kind of like how all MLB pitchers cover their mouths with their mitts when the catcher comes out to talk to them because, I don't know, they think the other teams has an eagle eyed lip reader in the dugout watching him ... and now every pitcher, including kids in little league, will do it, just 'cause.

Always shook hands (I've only worn a hat 2-3 times when playing) in Jr. High and High School, casual rounds and High School matches. I still do it today in my company league, and causal rounds with friends or strangers. I've never run into someone who was surprised by the gesture, either.

Bob E.

Dallas, TX

Note: This thread is 1895 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!