IGNORED

Comments? Discussion? Qualifying for a Nationwide tournament by 2011.

tsdnorton
Note:Β This thread is 5011 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!

He told me when I dropped below a +3 I'd get personal help from him and his coach.

That should be your goal, then. There is obviously a reason he picked this number.

Brandon

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

ME???? maybe...but i doubt it - might have the skills....MAYBE (probably not) but i know i dont have the head for it

I don't really understand this part. To clarify, you're saying that you probably don't have a shot, but you know he (a guy you've never seen before) has none? Based on what? His internet handicap? His story? His attitude?

As far as the rest of your post, you claim to not be trying to come off as a jerk, but it doesn't appear that way. Perhaps you're frustrated by earlier comments in this thread that I didn't read, and if so maybe there is a place for your condescension. Otherwise, I don't really see the need for it.
I don't really want to take sides in this tangent argument, but all else equal (and assuming that the posted indexes are true), I would give a 3.1 index a better chance of qualifying

The problem with you taking sides in the tangent argument is that all else is NOT equal, and it's not really pertinent to the hypothetical. The OP has an extenuating circumstance regarding his handicap, and regardless you're talking about potential to qualify. The secondary poster (who posed the hypothetical question) did not give a one-year time frame, he asked enis if with more practice he doesn't think he has the ability to shoot 65 to qualify at an event. Enis' reply was that he (Enis) may have the ability, but likely doesn't, and that the OP emphatically does not have the ability. For you to suggest that only handicap matters in that hypothetical is to surmise that every player in the entire world has already reached their potential right now, and nobody is closer to their potential than another golfer.

Brandon

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

The problem with you taking sides in the tangent argument is that all else is NOT equal, and it's not really pertinent to the hypothetical. The OP has an extenuating circumstance regarding his handicap, and regardless you're talking about potential to qualify. The secondary poster (who posed the hypothetical question) did not give a one-year time frame, he asked enis if with more practice he doesn't think he has the ability to shoot 65 to qualify at an event. Enis' reply was that he (Enis) may have the ability, but likely doesn't, and that the OP emphatically does not have the ability. For you to suggest that only handicap matters in that hypothetical is to surmise that every player in the entire world has already reached their potential right now, and nobody is closer to their potential than another golfer.

I interpreted everything as being timebound based on the original question and the enis' initial replys (he does bring up time frames in his earlier posts and I assumed this is the frame of mind with which he is replying, regardless of a time frame stipulated in the secondary question). I highly doubt that anyone is that arrogant as to judge somebody based solely on a handful of posts, despite a tone that might imply otherwise.

I think that's the most legal-ese sounding paragraph I've ever written on a forum. What we have here, is a failure to communicate.

He told me when I dropped below a +3 I'd get personal help from him and his coach.

Which is a polite way of brushing you off, in case you didn't get the hint.

Like telling a child that they can have an ice cream when they've counted a thousand bricks on the wall.

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

Β 

Β 

I would say that unless you are unnaturally gifted at this game then your chances are very slim. I would not say there are 5000 guys with 50 miles who can beat you, that seems a little steep.

That being said, the way a lot of people talk in this thread, no one is good enough to make any tour. I know I couldn't do it but someone must be able to. Real people actually play on these tours and try to qualify and so forth. As far as I know pro golfers are not grown in tubes right?

With that, you would have to be the exception to the rule. I see most pro players these days as guys who come from privilege and have done nothing but play golf their whole lives. Just like that school in south Florida for kids who play tennis. If they are lucky enough to get in then they get to practice tennis like 6 hours a day between classes.

With a question like yours you will always get folks who want to not only disagree but they want to go out of their way to degrade you. Then there are guys who want to encourage you but may not understand how hard it is. I have never played with anyone on this level but I know that my game wouldn't even get me past the first hole with them.

I would say that since you haven't been groomed for this game since birth your chances are not good. I notice a lot of the current players are sons of golf pros or from families that were able to put a lot of money and effort into pushing their kid into the game. These are the future of the game unfortunately. The sons of steel workers are not likely to ever become another Arnie.

Take it one step at a time. Work towards that +3. Get into a State Amateur or whatever. I would go for goals that are a little closer for you to reach. Then again there are people who never play the Nationwide and go right into the PGA. Not many people but they are out there. But those people were on the Tonight Show when they were 3.

In my Sasquatch stand bag
Driver: G5 10.5*
Fairway wood: R9 4 wood
Irons: R7 3-PW OR Firesole 3-PW
Wedges: VR 52-10 56-14 & 260-4Putter: TraceyShoe: Powerband 3.0

I have a friend that played on the Hooters Tour a few years ago. He now runs his own business so he doesn't play or practice like he used to. He hasn't played or practiced like he used to in a few years. The last time I played with him, his game was leaps and bounds better than mine. I just thought I was actually getting some consistency. There is no way that I could think about beating him or playing even with him right now. This made me think of what a Nationwide Tour player would be like and not even mentioning a PGA tour player. Another one of the guys I play with is a scratch player and he had nothing for the Hooters Tour guy.

Now with this being said, I know of guys that were like -2.x when they started on the Hooters Tour and worked their way up. But you are referring to the Nationwide Tour....Being a -7.8, you have no chance. If you can somehow get down to scratch or + and can go to "ANY" course from the tips and consistently shoot par and dip under on good days, then you might "qualify" for an event. I won't say that it can't be done....but it is going to take a TON of work on your part.

Bryan A
"Your desire to change must be greater than your desire to stay the same"

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

As far as the rest of your post, you claim to not be trying to come off as a jerk, but it doesn't appear that way. Perhaps you're frustrated by earlier comments in this thread that I didn't read, and if so maybe there is a place for your condescension. Otherwise, I don't really see the need for it.

I highly doubt that anyone is that arrogant as to judge somebody based solely on a handful of posts, despite a tone that might imply otherwise.

Wow, getting called out not reading the entire thread and then making a judgement, but then using a disclaimer just in case you are wrong. That is definitely not from the "How to win friends and influence people" school of thought. Very subtle work double_j on the calling out of the call out. I love the passive aggressive undertones that are displayed through this display of verbal acuity.

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*Β  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100Β 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S |Β Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro PlusΒ Β 

I saw you're from Athens. I graduated from UGA. :)

GO Dawgs!!!! Go for it, you could be the next in line of Dawgs to make a splash on tour!!! Its a lot of talk from a lot of people "that had a friend that once played on the such-n-such tour" that are just guessing. Its is amazingly difficult, but Like I said before, you absolutly will not do it if you dont try, and who cares if you embarass yourself, take it as a learning experience. If you worry about what people think, you will never make it in a tour qualifier!

Good luck and GO DAWGS!!!

sorry.....i am not trying to sounds like my sh*t dont stink, but not jealous in any way shape or form

The sentence I quoted above IS EXACTLY THE REASON YOU (not the OP) WILL NEVER MAKE IT... you "would NEVER think I have what it takes"...therefore you have already failed!

Alot of the other posters say things like... "it takes more than lessons, it takes a gift" or "you must have some natural ability". Think about it this way... he got down to a 7.8 in less than a year ...obviously he has ALOT of natural ability and/or a gift for the game. If he believes in his ability, takes the game seriously and learns, he is still young enough to make a run at the Nationwide and/or bigger things. I'd say 2-3 years is more realistic, after playing in some state amatuers, etc. It's easier to 'hate on someone', because then it gives you an excuse for why you 'didn't make it' or 'didn't even try'...because that's easier than trying!

In my :nike:Β Β bag on my :clicgear:Β cart ...

Driver: :ping:Β G10 9* Β  Β 3-Wood: :cleveland:Β Launcher
Hybrid: :adams:Β 20* Hybrid Β  Β  Β Irons: :ping:Β i5 4-GW - silver dot, +1/2"
Wedges: :cleveland:Β 56* (bent to 54*) and 60* CG10 Β  Β Β Putter: :ping:Β Craz-e (original blue)

The sentence I quoted above IS EXACTLY THE REASON YOU (not the OP) WILL NEVER MAKE IT... you "would NEVER think I have what it takes"...therefore you have already failed!

This would make a little more sense if he wasn't trying to get from a 7.8 to a scratch or + by 2011.

Bryan A
"Your desire to change must be greater than your desire to stay the same"

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

The sentence I quoted above

yeah...OR....now think about this and what you just typed..........

I have a FIRM grasp on reality and KNOW, even IF i was a SCRATCH GOLFER, i still couldnt make it playing in the show As Erik mentioned, there is setting goals to strive for and actually being able to achieve them And setting yourself up for COMPLETE AND UTTER Failure.....which in the case, is what the OP is doing cmon you guys...quit trying to feed the OP a load of bullsh*t that he can qualify for a NATIONWIDE TOurney seriously think about it........... I said it before and i will say it again the dude is BARELY BREAKING 80!!!!!! hahah!! at BEST............ and he thinks he can qualify for a tournament on the Nationwide, with a little more practice and a coach?????? IN TEWLVE MONTHS !!!! hahahahahhahah!!!!!!!! wow...you all who are supporing him, need to also get a frim grasp on reality cause it will never happen but yes ok, i am basing this on an internet handicap and zeroproof of his game, ok.... post your swing OP...prove us wrong with your god given ability to play in a NW Tourney next year dude you must have the swing of an agel bro no swing vid, and you dont exist or even play golf to be honest, your probably a 16 year old kid who is fishing for everyone to start scrappin prove me wrong the difference between the OP and me - I have an actual Golf Canada index, which any of you can check at any time, if you feel the need to But remember......Im not the one who thinks I can qualify for a NW Event!! hahahah!!!!
"My swing is homemade - but I have perfect flaws!" - Me

yeah...OR....now think about this and what you just typed..........

Wow...you guys are proving my point! It's waaayyy easier to hate on someone because you CAN'T / WON'T / DON'T make it on the XYZ tour or you cr*pped out after getting to a 3.1 or whatever and couldn't get it lower. The whole point is that this guy got down to a 7.8 in ONE YEAR of playing golf, if that's true, that's alot of natural ability.

Yes...I know there are a TON of great golfers out there that never make it on the Nationwide tour or spend their time trying year after year and fail. There's also ALOT of great basketball players on the playgrounds that never get to the NBA or singers in Kareoke bars all across the country that never get a record deal. What's the difference between person X that doesn't make it and person Y that does? Let's say they both practice the same amount, 10 hrs a day, 7 days a week. They both get a coach and build their swing till it's silky smooth. The difference is....person Y (the one that makes it) believes he will make it, believes he belongs. Remember, I'm the one earlier in this post that recommended he read the book, 'Paper Tiger', which basically does what he is trying to do. The ONLY THING that kept Tom Coyne from making it was his mental game and NOT BELIEVING he had the game. Yes...I would love to see a swing video, too. However, we also all know that a swing video doesn't show results. If you saw Jim Furyk's swing video posted by Joe Smith and didn't know he was a tour player, you guys would 'hate' all over it. All you posters would look at his grip and say he could never play that way, he'd be stuck at a 12 Hdcp for life. Oh wait...he's a US Open Champion. My point is that if he got to a 7.8 Hdcp from NEVER PLAYING GOLF, then he has alot of natural athletic ability and learns very quickly. Perhaps more quickly than the other posters on this thread. Our main problem is that we all look at things from our perspective of our own Hdcp is or how long it took to get there. OP - Don't listen to the 'haters'...go for it!

In my :nike:Β Β bag on my :clicgear:Β cart ...

Driver: :ping:Β G10 9* Β  Β 3-Wood: :cleveland:Β Launcher
Hybrid: :adams:Β 20* Hybrid Β  Β  Β Irons: :ping:Β i5 4-GW - silver dot, +1/2"
Wedges: :cleveland:Β 56* (bent to 54*) and 60* CG10 Β  Β Β Putter: :ping:Β Craz-e (original blue)

To the OP: Post a video. You will get serious commentary from some decent players (and perhaps teaching pros) that could help your game immediately. It is possible that you have a great swing, and would shut up all of the doubters on the board. Or it is possible that you have major problems that could be eliminated. Either way, you win! Post the video and see.

As far as the comment that Furyk would get no love here, if he posted his video and also included his hdcp index of +7 or so, I doubt there would be many that would question it. There is something different about pro level swings, whether they are pretty or not. Trevino's swing wasn't pretty, either, but having seen him in person, it was easy to tell he was not a hack, he was a great striker of the golf ball. If you haven't seen them in person, you just don't know.

Going from a 30+ to somewhere around a 7 is relatively easy given enough playing time and proper practice. All it takes is the ability to hit the ball decently well and make some putts.

I would argue that upwards of 60% or 70% of the reasonably athletic people out there could reach this goal in 12 to 18 months if they commit themselves to playing or focused practice for at least 20 hours per week and learn a bit about swing fundamentals early on.

I do think that the OP has done a great job getting where he is in such a short period of time but getting to a 7.8 in one year and getting to the point where you can be competitive in a formal tournament against world class players in the same time period are totally different degrees of difficulty.

The OP's question is somewhat akin to "I trained myself to run a 5K in 18 minutes in 12 months. Think I can qualify for the Olympics by next year?".

Going from a 30+ to somewhere around a 7 is relatively easy given enough playing time and proper practice. All it takes is the ability to hit the ball decently well and make some putts.

No, I think his question was more like, "I think I could qualify to try out for my national team." With the Olympics you have to meet an international standard. You can be on the national team by being one of the best in the country on that day, regardless of whether or not anyone could qualify for the actual Olympics.

Either way, I never actually read the OP's first post (or the thread title apparently) properly. I thought he was trying to qualify to enter a national mid-amateur tournament or something. When I realized he meant qualifying for a Nationwide Tour event (one of the top 3 or 4 tours in the world) I was kind of floored. It's like the guy comparing his pitching wedge layup shots to Tiger Woods. Clueless. Could I hit the occasional drive as good as or better than Tiger Woods during a casual round with my buddies. Sure. We all could. Could I do it in a tournament while he was standing right there on the tee with me - No. I'd be heading for the clubhouse to get new underwear.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

It can be done, but you have to totally dedicate your life to it. Every pro player at every level has done that. The game is that hard. But it is acheivable. It will cost thousands of hours and dollars and strain on relationships. All you have to do is go to the practice round for the masters and sit in the stands behind the driving range. When the worst player hits a full shot, it makes a sound that we might hear once a month. And thats the worst player, and he hits it like that every time. Television does it no justice. You have to see in person, then u will realize something is very wrong with those guys. It's inhuman

909D Comp 10.5* Matrix Ozik X-Con 5 Stiff
CB2 3 Wood 15* Graphite Design X-Quad 68 Gram Stiff
906F2 5 Wood 18* Aldila NV 75-S
Idea Pro 20* Hybrid Matrix Ozik Altus Stiff
J36 Cavity Back 4-PW Project X 6.0 52* & 58* CG12 DSG DGS300Anser X 33.5"B330S

It can be done, but you have to totally dedicate your life to it. Every pro player at every level has done that. The game is that hard. But it is acheivable. It will cost thousands of hours and dollars and strain on relationships. All you have to do is go to the practice round for the masters and sit in the stands behind the driving range. When the worst player hits a full shot, it makes a sound that we might hear once a month. And thats the worst player, and he hits it like that every time. Television does it no justice. You have to see in person, then u will realize something is very wrong with those guys. It's inhuman

I can't imagine the amount of dedication it takes. Even more it is hard to believe that not one but two guys from a local high school around here is on the tour (Boo and Bubba). It is crazy. That school is tiny and two guys are that good. Freaks...

In my Sasquatch stand bag
Driver: G5 10.5*
Fairway wood: R9 4 wood
Irons: R7 3-PW OR Firesole 3-PW
Wedges: VR 52-10 56-14 & 260-4Putter: TraceyShoe: Powerband 3.0

This thread is just turning into a bashing session. I honestly was just seeking friendly advice and thoughts/comments :) I'm in no way attacking anyone, or even bashing them for bashing me. All I was simply doing was asking a question. As to most of the results, it seems like it's not too possible. I didn't know, eveyone around here that I play with don't have time or dedication to put into making something out of their game consistantly. So I figured I'd ask a group of peers that maybe DO have that time, and see their advice.

I appreciate the comments, both negative and posotive. Good insight. I'll work on hitting up the Ammy tournaments. I'll enroll in more tournys and whatnot and just see where it all goes :)

But honestly, stop bashing eachother guys. This thread wasn't supposed to be like that.

I appreciate all your thoughts and comments!

Note:Β This thread is 5011 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!