IGNORED

THAT guy at the range

GolfBear
Note: This thread is 5011 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Sounds like some people are being "THAT guy on this forum". Does it really make that much difference to you what someone else does at the driving range?

:tmade: 09 Burner
:cobra: Speed LD F 3 wood
:cobra: Baffler 20 degree hybrid
:cobra: Baffler TWS 23 hy
:ping: G15 5-UW
:snake_eyes: 56 deg SW 
:snake_eyes: 60 - 12 wedge  
:scotty_cameron: Studio Select Newport 2

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The only thing that annoys me at the practice range (short or long) are people who think it is a social occasion and never shut up. I'm not talking about exchanging pleasantries with buddies, but people that hold 1/2 hour conversations while hitting 5 balls out of the bucket before leaving. If you want to talk about women, stock market, Tiger's exploits, ect. go to a bar and let the rest of us practice.

Butch

There was a really attractive woman in really tight pants in front of me at the range today. You know, it's strange, I have absolutely no recollection of what club she was hitting.

Stretch.

"In the process of trial and error, our failed attempts are meant to destroy arrogance and provoke humility." -- Master Jin Kwon

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

When me and my dad go to the range, we take a different club every day and only hit that club. It forces us to feel comfortable with every stick in the bag. If the club happens to be a driver that day, then we hit 2 buckets or more with a driver. It is a very important club, you hit it ~15 times a round.

Driver - Cobra S3 9.5* - Mitsubishi Rayon JavlnFX M7 
Fwy - Titleist 904F 18*
Irons - Mizuno MP-14
Wedges - Cleveland 588 54*, Ping Tour 58*
Putter - Ping D66 (iWi)

The only thing that annoys me at the practice range (short or long) are people who think it is a social occasion and never shut up. I'm not talking about exchanging pleasantries with buddies, but people that hold 1/2 hour conversations while hitting 5 balls out of the bucket before leaving. If you want to talk about women, stock market, Tiger's exploits, ect. go to a bar and let the rest of us practice.

Ipods work wonders at the range. Just find the right music for your swing.

Ipods work wonders at the range. Just find the right music for your swing.

i have been doing this lately

thought it would distract me, but i love it i have been that driver guy i struggle w the driver from time to time, and have been know to hit s full bucket w it on a usual day, ill go through 8-4i, then 5, 3w, then about 6-8 balls w the big dog if i am hitting it well, then i go pack to the 9i-60 wedge to finsish off the bucket
"My swing is homemade - but I have perfect flaws!" - Me

OP why are you so concerned with how others choose to practice?

Let's be clear on a few points. It doesn't bother me in the least that he choses this form of practice, in fact I find him endlessly entertaining. As long as he's happy doing what he's doing then the more power to him. Bash away good sir!

I should add a couple of points though that I omitted earlier: 1. He does not hit off the mats, at least not that I've ever seen, he's always on the grass. 2. He brings his own pail and brush. I guess he doesn't like the ones that are at the range? 3. He brings some kind of gym bag. I don't know what's in it, I've always been afraid to look! All in all, I think I could go to the range just to watch him

Driver: VRS 9.5 degrees

Fairway Wood: 13 degrees
Hybrid: A3 19 degrees

Irons: i20's  Yellow dot

Wedges: Vokey's 52, 56 & 60

Putter: 2 ball

Ball: Penta; ProV

Slayer

You'd be boosting the swing speed up to 130!

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

This could have been me! I just purchased a new driver and I wanted to get used to it, but I only hit one XL bucket at the range yesterday.

I do know some guys who go to the range just to grip and rip who never play actual golf.

I'm a member of the range at a local nine-hole muni and have seen plenty of people just hammer their driver. I really don't have a problem with it. Last week their was a guy in the stall next to me who only brought his driver. We were chatting a little bit and I finally asked him where his other clubs were. I never saw it coming but he said he didn't have any other clubs but a driver and that he doesn't even golf, he said he just likes coming out to the range because it relaxes him.

Career Bests:

9 Holes--37 @ The Fairways at Arrowhead-Front(+2)

18 Holes--80 @ Carroll Meadows Golf Course(+9)

Home Course:

1) The Fairways at Arrowhead

2) Mayfair Country Club

Maybe the guy was hitting a new driver, maybe it was his weakest club, maybe there is an inferiority complex, etc. If he was inconsistent with his driver, you may not have wanted to see him hit irons anyway.

And to Stretch, I have been in that situation myself, and nearly flopped my toe.

"Life's tough. It's tougher if you're stupid."- John Wayne

I've seen him at least a dozen times and every time he's just banging on that driver.

This is the key part. There's nothing wrong with focusing on just one club for an entire session, especially if you're trying to groove in a new swing or work on a specific problem. I usually go to the range to work on one or two specific clubs, and when I do I devote at least half my balls to that one club. I'll warm up with a short iron, but if I'm there to work on my driver then I'll work on my driver all day. But that's offset by the fact that, likely, the previous three range trips were devoted to other clubs. Some people prefer to devote time to one or two clubs at a time. I don't know if that's the optimial method (it'd be interesting to hear from an instructor who has an opinion on this) but you can't fault someone for that approach.

However, going out and only practicing one club, especially if it's your driver, is dumb. Even if you out drive me by 30 yards, I'll have broken even with you after the second shot if you can't hit your irons. Anyway... Can't say I know of such a person at my local course. Whenever I got it seems like at least 3 out of 4 if not 4 out of 5 people are working on irons or wedges.

"Golf is an entire game built around making something that is naturally easy - putting a ball into a hole - as difficult as possible." - Scott Adams

Mid-priced ball reviews: Top Flight Gamer v2 | Bridgestone e5 ('10) | Titleist NXT Tour ('10) | Taylormade Burner TP LDP | Taylormade TP Black | Taylormade Burner Tour | Srixon Q-Star ('12)

I think I was "the Driver guy" once when I first got my clubs. I finally got it out to see what all the fuss was about. I definetly overdid it by hitting like 30 in a row and was basically just whacking at balls like it was a timed event. It was quite the workout too. I didn't learn anything from it. I then would only hit about 5 in a row and take my time like getting behind the ball, picking out a certain flag, setting up, and trying to hit a decent shot. Then I'd move to the irons for a bit. I've seen people just hitting drivers for a whole bucket of balls. Some would get pissed off because obviously they were getting tired out and the shots were getting more bush league everytime they took a crack at it. You would like to say something but it would be stepping on peoples toes. It's just better to watch and listen. Man, I wish I could be able to hold club at this stage in the game.

Driver:  :nike:  Vapor Pro 9.5°  Wood & Hybrids : :nike:Covert Tour 13°, 18° & 21°
Irons & Wedges:
  :nike:  Covert 2.0  5i - AW,  :titleist:   56-14F,  60-07S
Putter:     :titleist:Newport Select
Balls:  :bridgestone: B330-RX

I'm almost "THAT GUY". Lately I have been hitting 50% of range balls with my driver. Since it's the biggest stroke addition to my score card, I don't see a problem with it.

I don't see anything wrong with it. Some people aren't really that into golf but still think it's fun to hit the crap out of balls at the driving range once in a while, and I must say the driver is the most fun of all clubs for this particular purpose. Heck, I'm obsessed with golf and even I am sometimes in the mood just to hit the crap out of the ball for the pure fun of it.
Scott T

G5 9° V2 75 X / 909F2 15.5° V2 85 X / 909H 19° V2 100 X / MP-33 #3-PW X100 / X-Forged Chrome 54.15 60.10 X100 / FGP Black 34" / Penta TP

Handicap is a guess because I haven't established one yet.Best score so far is a 71 on a 6,509 yard 70.3/121 par 72 muni, during a glorious...

Whatever. Let him wail away. I had a lousy day at work once a few years ago when i was building houses & i went to the range after. Hit nothing but drivers. Just flatout swung hard as i could trying to kill the ball. It was fun & therapeutic.

If it's somebody really long i'll usually tee up driver to try to outdrive them for fun. May as well challenge myself. With mat ranges, which we have an annoying # of, you've gotta make your own fun. I like to alternate between long club & short club. More than 6-10 drivers in a row & the iron swing gets a little dicey.

& i have to be honest. I usually just put on my ipod & zone out. I rarely notice what most people are doing there.

Note: This thread is 5011 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!