IGNORED

What Ball Is Everybody Playing?

25 minutes ago, boil3rmak3r said:

I would love if the sand trap guys would test a Vice ball.  All the reviews say they perform the same or better as pro v1’s.  If you buy in bulk, you can get them $20 per dozen cheaper than pro V’s.

Don’t know if the Sand Trap has a sponsorship with Titelist, but if they don’t and find out the vice balls are just as good, it might be something to look into.

You are a contributing member here, it says you have a 8 handicap, so you do the review. As an 8 handicapper you obviously have a bit of a game. Buy a box of Pro V 1's and compare Vice ball's to them, or compare to your regular ball and post the results here. Have fun with it and you might provide some valuable insight. 

• Thumbs Up 2

:tmade: Stealth2 driver, 3 hybrid. :ping: G410 Fairway  :titleist: 5-AW  :vokey: 52/56/60 SM9

:tmade: Spider Tour X putter

:snell: MTB Prime 3.0, :adidas: Tour360 22

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 hour ago, boil3rmak3r said:

I would love if the sand trap guys would test a Vice ball.  All the reviews say they perform the same or better as pro v1’s.  If you buy in bulk, you can get them $20 per dozen cheaper than pro V’s.

Don’t know if the Sand Trap has a sponsorship with Titelist, but if they don’t and find out the vice balls are just as good, it might be something to look into.

I wouldn't be opposed to trying them, although I'm not eager to spend additional money to do so.  I ran out of Snell Get Sum during the period where getting more wasn't really possible, and I ended up switching to Kirkland Performance+.  When I get close to running out of those, I will give a comparison with Snell (and I might try the MTB by that point, if the improvement I had last year continues now that I've picked up the clubs again) and decide from there.  

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

2 hours ago, snapfade said:

You are a contributing member here, it says you have a 8 handicap, so you do the review. As an 8 handicapper you obviously have a bit of a game. Buy a box of Pro V 1's and compare Vice ball's to them, or compare to your regular ball and post the results here. Have fun with it and you might provide some valuable insight. 

I don’t know if you are being snarky, but I’ll assume you were earnest.

I do have an 8 handicap.  I played pro v1’s for years.  I have been playing the  Vice all this year.

In my experience, there is no difference in performance (spin,distance, durability).

The performance and price has me convinced it’s just as good as the Pro V’s.  On top of that, they ship direct to the customer.  No retailer involved, so the prices are way cheaper.

I was just hoping that Erik, or someone on his staff could try it and give their opinion.

11 minutes ago, boil3rmak3r said:

I do have an 8 handicap.  I played pro v1’s for years.  I have been playing the  Vice all this year.

In my experience, there is no difference in performance (spin,distance, durability).

The performance and price has me convinced it’s just as good as the Pro V’s.  On top of that, they ship direct to the customer.  No retailer involved, so the prices are way cheaper.

I was just hoping that Eric, or someone on his staff could try it and give their opinion.

There is good info on the web where they test many, many balls for consistency in manufacture. There are others that show how many different brands stack up with distance, spin, dispersion, etc. using a robot. My golf buddy was a Vice guy until this year due to him discovering more inconsistency in manufacture over other brands.

16 minutes ago, boil3rmak3r said:

I was just hoping that Erik, or someone on his staff could try it and give their opinion.

I don't think @snapfade was being snarky. You're more than welcome to start your own review topic about them, or post your thoughts here:

I played the Pro Flamingo for a year. They were too low compression for me, but they were cool. I don't even think they make them anymore. I kept one as a souvenir.

IIRC other than that particular ball not being right for my game, the only other issue I ever had with Vice was that the lead time was slightly longer. I don't know if it's still that way today.

3 hours ago, boil3rmak3r said:

We don't have an affiliation with any golf ball manufacturer these days. We used to have one with Snell Golf when they first started. I've been playing Snells ever since.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

45 minutes ago, boil3rmak3r said:

You opinions are valuable to other forum members. I would recommend starting another thread for discussion. 

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

59 minutes ago, Carl3 said:

There is good info on the web where they test many, many balls for consistency in manufacture. There are others that show how many different brands stack up with distance, spin, dispersion, etc. using a robot. My golf buddy was a Vice guy until this year due to him discovering more inconsistency in manufacture over other brands.

So that’s a good point. Manufacturing consistency is a factor to what makes a good golf ball 

Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth2+

3W: :taylormade-small: Stealth2

4H: :taylormade-small: Stealth 2

Irons 4I-9I:  :titleist-small: T200

Wedges P, 48: :titleist-small: T200

Wedges 54, 58: :titleist-small: Vokey SM9

Putter:  :odyssey-small: O Works #1 Black

On 8/26/2022 at 3:24 PM, ChetlovesMer said:

For some people, that may be true.

For me it all boils down to what I can see the best!

395644-Yellow-Orange-Srixon-Q-Star-Tour-Divide-12-Ball-Pack-2.thumb.jpg.4e4a76a6ca7297b0f1d91bcc79901998.jpg

Then i suggest going against the Vice Black.  They were in sale at Target, I picked up a dozen and lost more balls on balls that didn't go OB in my life 😞

Christian

:tmade::titleist:  :leupold:  :aimpoint: :gamegolf:

Pro V1x for me, was the suggestion to me via trackman due to trajectory and descent angles. I play the yellow ones, would try the left dash if they came in yellow. Makes it much easier to track as I live in Canada and skies are not usually bright blue (which makes white the king) but somewhat grey and overcast (which washes out white balls and I lose sight of them as soon as I hit it).

Will try the Maxfli X when they are in yellow. And I dislike "softer" balls as I like to feel when I hit it.

My Weapons of Grass Destruction:

:titleist: TS2 10.5*;  917F2 15*;  818H1 19*;  716 AP2 4-P;  Pro V1x

:vokey: SM7's - 50.12 F, 56.14 F, 60.08 M

:odyssey: Black Series 3

:footjoy:  :oakley: 

14 hours ago, boil3rmak3r said:

Nope, not snarky, just saying you are perfectly qualified to perform a ball comparison. I think at your index, your insight on the comparison would be slightly more helpful to those around your index. Eric and some others here are playing at a + handicap. Their opinion on a ball might not really be geared towards me. I'm currently at a 14 a Pro V1 isn't the ball for me like it is you. I look at "reviews" that benefit those in my handicap neighborhood. Currently I have found the Bridgestone E6 to be my ball. I would like to see a Vice comparison. Now I have given myself some homework, Thank you very much. 

:tmade: Stealth2 driver, 3 hybrid. :ping: G410 Fairway  :titleist: 5-AW  :vokey: 52/56/60 SM9

1 hour ago, snapfade said:

Nope, not snarky, just saying you are perfectly qualified to perform a ball comparison. I think at your index, your insight on the comparison would be slightly more helpful to those around your index. Eric and some others here are playing at a + handicap. Their opinion on a ball might not really be geared towards me. I'm currently at a 14 a Pro V1 isn't the ball for me like it is you. I look at "reviews" that benefit those in my handicap neighborhood. Currently I have found the Bridgestone E6 to be my ball. I would like to see a Vice comparison. Now I have given myself some homework, Thank you very much. 

If you want a comparison to the Bridgestone e6, consider the Snell Get Sum.  I went from e6 to Get Sum and happily played the latter until I ran out (at pretty much the exact wrong time).

Snell has their summer sale going on and five dozen Get Sum for $68 or so... even though I still have three dozen of the ball I've been playing (Kirkland) when I couldn't find the Get Sum and my plan was to wait until I ran out... I might just get their multi-pack.  They're $20/dozen otherwise. 

I realize you were asking about Vice and I didn't answer, but I don't know their balls (I'm not sure I've ever even hit one).  But if your goal was a lower-cost comparison to the e6, I hope that helps.  I played three different generations of the e6 before switching, for what it's worth, and I liked the original Get Sum better. 

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

27 minutes ago, Shindig said:

If you want a comparison to the Bridgestone e6, consider the Snell Get Sum.  I went from e6 to Get Sum and happily played the latter until I ran out (at pretty much the exact wrong time).

Snell has their summer sale going on and five dozen Get Sum for $68 or so... even though I still have three dozen of the ball I've been playing (Kirkland) when I couldn't find the Get Sum and my plan was to wait until I ran out... I might just get their multi-pack.  They're $20/dozen otherwise. 

I realize you were asking about Vice and I didn't answer, but I don't know their balls (I'm not sure I've ever even hit one).  But if your goal was a lower-cost comparison to the e6, I hope that helps.  I played three different generations of the e6 before switching, for what it's worth, and I liked the original Get Sum better. 

Just ordered a dozen of the Get Sum, we will see how it goes. 20 bucks isn't bad at all.

I will now go on record that as of this day I will never buy a Vice golf ball. I just had to sit through the most annoying commercial on YT. What a disaster that was. Stupid music with stupid looking people. I'm thinking of ending my relationship with Wilson Staff because of that Manolo guy. What a joke. 

• Funny 1

23 hours ago, ChiTown said:

So that’s a good point. Manufacturing consistency is a factor to what makes a good golf ball 

They looked at variations in weight, diameter, and also cut them all open to see if the core was actually centered in each ball. They rated the prov1 at 100% and then it dropped off from there.

• Thumbs Up 1

19 minutes ago, Carl3 said:

They looked at variations in weight, diameter, and also cut them all open to see if the core was actually centered in each ball. They rated the prov1 at 100% and then it dropped off from there.

This may be an ignorant question from me, but how would the core not be centered?  Maybe I really don't understand just what makes up a golf ball.

-- Michael | My swing! 

1 hour ago, Shindig said:

This may be an ignorant question from me, but how would the core not be centered?  Maybe I really don't understand just what makes up a golf ball.

Callaway had a problem with getting their cores centered in their Chromesoft line. It was kind of a big deal a few years back. They seem to have it corrected now. ScreenShot2019-09-03at10_16_22PM.png.98d3c69ed511fd425167e3467a948b44.png

Here's an old thread on it if you are interested.

• Informative 1

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

9 minutes ago, ChetlovesMer said:

Callaway had a problem with getting their cores centered in their Chromesoft line. It was kind of a big deal a few years back. They seem to have it corrected now. ScreenShot2019-09-03at10_16_22PM.png.98d3c69ed511fd425167e3467a948b44.png

Here's an old thread on it if you are interested.

Thank you;  that's very informative.  I don't know what I'll do with the information, but it's good to know.  Also, I think I better understand (I could be way off on this) what a 2-piece vs 3-piece ball is;  and here, I thought all the balls I used were one-piece because they stayed together after being hit (I'm half kidding on that last part, but I may have been pretending to know what 2-piece and 3-piece were). 

• Funny 1

-- Michael | My swing! 

10 hours ago, Shindig said:

Thank you;  that's very informative.  I don't know what I'll do with the information, but it's good to know.  Also, I think I better understand (I could be way off on this) what a 2-piece vs 3-piece ball is;  and here, I thought all the balls I used were one-piece because they stayed together after being hit (I'm half kidding on that last part, but I may have been pretending to know what 2-piece and 3-piece were). 

This will blow your mind: .... There are also 4 and even 5 piece balls out there!
giphy.gif.dced1f7bfe157290f5e6bc5ceee9faeb.gif

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with.