IGNORED

Lee Westwood chooses NOT to be PGA Tour member in 2011

Frank-0-Sport
Note: This thread is 4939 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Wow. A lot of people that don't understand how rankings work.

The issue of imbalance between the PGA Tour and other Tours is an example of how the rankings are self serving. During the early years of the rankings, there was a gross imbalance between events in the US and elsewhere, as well as limited access to many US events, especially higher ranking ones, to non-PGA Tour players. This meant that few Europeans got to play in the US PGA and many of the higher ranking events. For example, Howard Clark is a 6 times Ryder Cup player (including 3 winning sides) and a multiple European Tour winner. During a 26 year career between the 70s and 90s, he played in a total of 4 US based majors. He got little chance to scoop up the big points. There are plenty of other similar examples.

Thus, US players got to scoop all the points, and their rankings improved. Then the weighting given to those events they played in increased because it had all the highest ranking players. The system was feeding itself. The "best" players played at events whose weighting increased as a result, and these players then got a higher return of points back. And so on.

In more recent times, there has been somewhat better access to the highest ranking events to non-PGA Tour players, but a lot of the imbalance still applies, especially for middle and lower ranking players, so there has been a correction in the imbalance.

As for Lee Westwood, I am not a particular fan, but the system rewards consistent high finishes, and he has had plenty of those. He is a damn good player who has been unfortunate not to win a major yet, and is a damn sight better player than some who have.

Oh, and it is the Official WORLD Golf Rankings, not the Official PGA TOUR Golf Rankings.

----------------------------------
909D3 10.5 Matrix Code 6
909F2 15.5 and 18.5 Whiteboard
585H Ozik Altus
MP68 4-P, KBS ZTP 52. 56, 60 KBS DASS Luke DonaldHome club: http://www.bearwoodlakes.co.uk/hm/hm.aspx

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree that those would be sour grapes if Westwood had done anything in tournaments on U.S. soil. The St. Jude classic only had 1 other top 10 player in it. It featured a bunch of b-listers. In full field events he hasn't won.

The only true 'full-field' events are the Majors, WGCs and the TPC. The St Jude is representative of the regular Tour events. He got 44 OGWR points for winning it - more than he got for finishing third at The PGA or the British Open last year.

This is like the reaction to Poulter, who first 'hadn't won on US soil' and then, after the WGC Accenture Matchplay - 'well, he hasn't won a strokeplay event'. Any other barrels you want to scrape the bottom of? Your final line sounds grudging, after what came before.
Oh, and it is the Official

Thanks for making that point.

About comment with Lee Westwood's personality, oh my I agree! I do think hes a good player and deserves to probably be in top 10 (Number 1, debatable!) but he personality is really bad, so boring in interviews etc, can send you to sleep!

That would be in stark contrast to, say, Tiger Woods, whose bubbly personality just bursts out during interviews - why, he's just one step short of being a top song-and-dance man, isn't he? Why, he could slip easily get a gig as a chat-show host, don't you think?

If Lee is No 1 on Monday he will have won more tournaments in the last 12 months than the player he will have deposed. He could have got to No 1 by sitting at home the next few days but he has said he wants to play his way there. Whether he manages it is now debatable because he has hurt his ankle again at Kingsbarns - and he would be whacked out after the Ryder Cup anyway. But we shall see.

Good, Westwood has the personality of a wet carrot anyways. He doesn´t move the needle.

Nice. Really nice. You don't "get" him I suspect.

my prediction for Westwood in 2011? He will drop in rankings quite a bit. he'll be the next Vijay Singh before even reaching the #1 spot.

We'll see. I think you're wrong.

If I was from the UK and had a chance to be a mulit millionaire in Europe versus the USA, it would be a fairly easy decision. It's not as if winning a boatload of tournaments would win him any respect among the throngs of Phil and Tiger fanboys anyway. What's he got to lose, really?

Indeed.

I don't know why, but I don't really like Westwood. I can't say I hope he drops in the rankings, but I won't be disappointed if he did.

At least you're honest. Nothing wrong with patriotism (most of the time).

My money's on McDowell, Donald, or even Casey.

Hope you have deep pockets.

Possibility of getting to the #1 sport by winning

Umm. I think you'll find he's won more than one tournament. The US PGA Tour is not the only show in town.

Well, what a completely overrated hacker Westwood obviously is.

Bravo.

LW is not some twenty-something, single tyro anymore. He's married with kids and doesn't need to compete just to chase $$$. He will play enough in the U.S. anyway and doesn't believe increasing it will improve his Major chances. He's more at ease with himself and his game than he ever has been. Perhaps he knows what's best for him?

Home Course: Wollaton Park GC, Nottingham, U.K.

Ping G400, 9°, Alta CB 55S | Ping G400, 14°, Alta CB 65S | Adams Pro Dhy 18°, 21°, 24°, KBS Hybrid S | Ping S55 5-PW, TT DGS300 | Vokey 252-08, DGS200 | Vokey 256-10 (bent to 58°), DGS200 | Ping Sigma G Anser, 34" | Vice Pro Plus

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Hes gonna play in all the majors and WGCs so in reality hes only turned down about 5 pga tour events, I dont get the LW hate, he seems like a geniune guy and is easily imo the best player in the world over the last year(although struggling to close off majors) I mean who else is there? phil? dont make me laugh, I think hes been the best by quite a distance actually in terms of the overall year

Hes gonna play in all the majors and WGCs so in reality hes only turned down about 5 pga tour events, I dont get the LW hate, he seems like a geniune guy and is easily imo the best player in the world over the last year(although struggling to close off majors) I mean who else is there? phil? dont make me laugh, I think hes been the best by quite a distance actually in terms of the overall year

Gotta agree with everything you said. I like Phil a lot, and have been rooting for him all year, but barring The Masters, Westwood has easily been the strongest golfer this year. I don't hate Tiger, but as was pointed out earlier, I don't understand the belief that he's got a great personality and Westwood doesn't. And for those that love Tiger above all else, Westwood taking over #1 will be good news-will certainly give Tiger something to shoot for. If Phil can get it back together, and Stricker stays strong it will be a great year for golf. I'm looking forward to watching the four of them jockey for #1.

I understand his not taking a PGA card. He will play in whatever tournaments he wants without having to play in the required 15 - that makes sense.

However, even though he is quoting his manager - he sounds like kind of a dick when he says:

'Why would you take up membership in the States when you've been the most successful player in the world this year despite being injured and still have a great chance to go to world No 1?' and

"I don't want to be dictated by having to play, having to go to America to play in the FedEx Cup when it doesn't really mean that much to me. It doesn't mean enough to me, anyway"

There are better ways he could've said these things but Lee's ego just got in the way. I believe this sets him up for an upper-cut to the chin from Karma.

This is not sour grapes or anything like that. I believe McDowel has more of a "champion's mindset" than Lee Westwood . .not just because he took the PGA card but because he is not a self indulgent whiner.

I don't have anything against Lee. He has been very successful, he's got more money than he will ever need, and might become #1 in the world very soon. But I just don't see him winning a major now. Came close, but just couldn't finish it off. But a lot to be proud of.

Now for some other Euro's like McDowell, McElroy, and Kaymer.........look out.

Sub 70 849 9* driver

:callaway:  Rogue 3 & 5 woods, Rogue X 4 & 5 hybrids

:tmade: SIM 2 6-gap irons

:cobra:  King snakebite grove wedges 52 & 58*

:ping: Heppler ZB3 putter

Let's see, he's going to play 3 WGC events, 3 majors and a couple of normal PGA Tour tournaments in preparation for those majors. He's going to play at least 8 tournaments in US soil plus the Open Championship and the WGC HSBC Champions and both count towards a PGA Tour card. He's therefore playing 10 or more tournaments that are co-sanctioned or organized by the PGA Tour. Let's bash the guy because he doesn't want to play four playoff events and win the FedEx cup the first time he plays it but would rather spend time with his family. I don't know how he could possibly make such a decision...

I understand his not taking a PGA card. He will play in whatever tournaments he wants without having to play in the required 15 - that makes sense.

He doesn't sound like much of a d*** to me. What on Earth is wrong with what he said? He doesn't care about a money-grubbing made-up "event" called the FedEx? Aww, never mind. Are you a bit irritated that someone who doesn't slavishly trumpet the assumption that to be the best you

must be a member of the PGA Tour may well be #1 next week? "Self-indulgent whiner"??? Methinks you're talking nonsense. As for his supposed ego, he's one of the more down-to-Earth, ego-free players out there.

Home Course: Wollaton Park GC, Nottingham, U.K.

Ping G400, 9°, Alta CB 55S | Ping G400, 14°, Alta CB 65S | Adams Pro Dhy 18°, 21°, 24°, KBS Hybrid S | Ping S55 5-PW, TT DGS300 | Vokey 252-08, DGS200 | Vokey 256-10 (bent to 58°), DGS200 | Ping Sigma G Anser, 34" | Vice Pro Plus

He doesn't sound like...

Are people's nationalities coming out in this thread? I've never met the guy so I can't say how he falls on the ego scale (but he's a professional golfer, so I say even if he has the ego, he's earned it).

I do believe that he quotes are giving him a bum rap, and the way things came across in an interview and in ink do not necessarily represent him in the most flattering light. However, even if you have unlimited funds at your desposal, it still takes time to get from one side of the pond to the other. Then there's 3 or 4 days of golf for a tournament. And noeone wants to just show up 30 minutes before their tee time, heck get out there a few days early with your caddy, feel the fairways, see the hidden hardpan, etc. To forgive all that money to save all that time to spend with his family, I'll applaud the guy under any light. My hat's off to ya Westwood.

Ogio Nexos Black on Black

Taylormade TP R9 Superdeep, 9.5, Aldila RIP A70X

Bridgestone J38 15, Motore F1 75S

Mizuno Masters Tournament Blades

Mizuno MP-T10 60.08

Ping Anser 2i

This is not sour grapes or anything like that.

Oh, really? I shall just have to take your word on that.

(...but possibly refer the poster to other comments about how words might look in print...)
I believe McDowel has more of a "champion's mindset" than Lee Westwood . .not just because he took the PGA card but because he is not a self indulgent whiner.

I don't see any whining from Westwood - simply, 'I'm doing fine where I am, thanks very much, and I don't need what's on offer - not at the price demanded, anyway'.

I do, however, see a smidgeon of petulance from some quarters simply because he won't dance to someone else's tune.

As an ex-pat I'll his contribution to raising the profile of British golf. Tony Jacklin, Nick Faldo and Peter Oosterhuis were a long time ago already. But who knows, Luke Donald and Paul Casey may be ready to pick up the slack.

It seems Westwood was ready to make the move to the next level, which I thought was going to require a major progression for him in the mental side of the game, under pressure cooker of the PGA's most intensely fought majors.

But he clearly has his reasons. I hope his family situation hasn't deteriorated irreparably, but that's his business. He's gotta do, or try to do, what he's gotta do.

McGolf-Doggie's stand bag & new and used club emporium:
Putter :ping: 1/2Craz-e | Irons :TaylorMade: RAC MB, 4i-PW (DG S300) |Wedges :Cleveland: SW&LW 56*DSG+RTG; 60*/4* DSG+RTG |Woods :Cobra: S1 5W; Adams TIght Lies 3W |Driver :TaylorMade: Burner 9.5 Fujikura Reax S | Maxfli Practice

... under pressure cooker of the PGA's most intensely fought majors.

You are aware, I trust, that the Majors are jointly sanctioned by all the major Tours? That Lee will be playing all of them next year (fitness willing) by virtue of his finishing positions this year and being in the top 50 of the OGWR?

I hope his family situation hasn't deteriorated irreparably, but that's his business.

What on Earth are you talking about?

If the PGA tour is not all that great, then why bother playing in it at all? SOme of you guys from the UK need to calm yourselves a bit and stop acting like everyone hates the English or something.

My philosophy on golf "We're not doing rocket science, here."

I don't see what Westwoods personality has to do with it. He's currently ranked as one of the top players in the world. The fact he's decided to not join the PGA tour to spend more time with his family, or any other reason, is a loss for the PGA.

Joe Paradiso

I don't see what Westwoods personality has to do with it. He's currently ranked as one of the top players in the world. The fact he's decided to not join the PGA tour to spend more time with his family, or any other reason, is a loss for the PGA.

I have to disagree. This is really not to big of a loss

for the PGA . What matters to the PGA brass is money, and players with no personality or flare (Westwood) don't bring in money. He'll still be at all the majors, so that's really what matters, having the best players competing in the best tournaments.

In the  Strata Bag:

3 Wood:  XL

Irons: 4-5:  AP1; 6-PW:  XL

Wedges:  Tour Grind, 52°/60°

Putter:  White Hot XG #9

Balls:  Mojo

That would be in stark contrast to, say, Tiger Woods, whose bubbly personality just bursts out during interviews - why, he's just one step short of being a top song-and-dance man, isn't he? Why, he could slip easily get a gig as a chat-show host, don't you think?

tiger doesn't have personality? why surely you jest. by personality, we're not talking about who comes up with the cleverest post-round interviews, or who is the nicest guy on tour and gets along with the most peers in the locker room. it's about who makes golf more exciting to watch. with the exception of 2010, unless you've never actually watched a golf tournament since 1996, there's no debating that tiger is the most exciting person to watch on tour, and has been since the likes of seve ballesteros. i can remember so many great shots that tiger has hit, so many memorable moments in majors where he had to hit a long putt, or get a wedge in close. lee, um, well there was that one time, i think. actually, that was probably someone else. get my drift? lee is dull on the course. he may be a class guy, but i'd rather watch tiger and phil any day than ernie and lee, even though i like ernie more than phil.

Note: This thread is 4939 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!