IGNORED

Discuss your home course (more)...

MSchott
Note: This thread is 3609 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

My home course is Torrey Pines down in San Diego. I know the ambassadors so I tend to play three days a week for free. It's my favorite course.

I particularly enjoy the fifth hole, the par 5. Today is the second time I've gotten an albatross on it.

The course is kept in better shape than most and you always play with respectable golfers.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Home course...dunno. There are four near me that I usually play. Thunderbird Hills(North and South). South course is definaterly the easiest wide open little trees(course is fairly new). North is probably considered parkland style tree lined. First hole at North par 5 with a large tree in the middle of the fairway about 100 yds out form the green..definately a three shotter for me. Wousickett is another local course nothing great but reasonable priced. #18 I still haven't figured out the most consistent way too play it about 338 dogleg left with a creek running down the right with a lorge tree and hill guarding the left. Tried everythig from iron off the tee short of the creek, big sweeping three wood around the tree, smash a driver over the creek to the other half of the fairway. Played it safe, tried the hero shot, etc. still never made better than bogey.

Sawmill Creek designed by Tom Fazio is probably a good par 5 from my house nice course, but $100 a round is a little steep for me for more than 1 or two rounds a year there.

5000 9.5 Graphite deisgn ys6+ stiff
Insight 3 wood stiff
4 hybrid
:I10 3-w AWT Stiff blue dot
X tour 58, 54:VPNXT Tour

Number 5 on the north or south course at Torrey Pines?

'Cause I don't remember either being a par 5.

RC

My home course is Torrey Pines down in San Diego. I know the ambassadors so I tend to play three days a week for free. It's my favorite course.

'Cause I don't remember either being a par 5.

HAHA. They're definitely both par 4s
taylormade.gif -- > R9 9.5* Fujikura Motore F1 -- > R9 15* Fujikura Motore ][ callaway.gif -- > X-20 Steel 3-PW ][ cleveland.gif -- > CG-14 Black Pearl 60*
titleist.gif -- > Spin Milled 56* , 52* -- > Studio Select Newport 2- -- > Pro-V1 ][ BBGPSGOLF for GPS on my Blackberry
Home Course: http://whitneyfarmsgc.com/ Connecticut

• 1 month later...

My home Course is Friendly Meadows http://www.friendlymeadowsgolf.com/

hole09.jpg

Favorite- 9th Par 4 405 yds on the card from the tips.  There is a creek that runs across the fairway and take 260-275 to clear depending where the tees are.  I usually lay up with 4 iron off the tee, this leads you to about 190yd second uphill to a sloping green towards with a huge false front.  Leave your shot below the hole if not I have putted it off the green from the back.  Most difficult hole on the course.

Second Favorite- 13th Par 5 525 on the card from the tips.  Sharp dog-leg right.  Can't play driver off the tee OB past the fairway, unless you cut it over the trees and pond to a narrow landing area.  250 to middle of fairway off the tee.  Second shot (230ish to green) is through the shute of a tree lined fairway that is about 15 paces wide, ponds lining the left within the trees.  The green is surrounded by another pond that hooks around the back of the green and the entire left and right side of the green.  The only let up on this hole is the green which is pretty flat once you get there.

hole13.jpg

Fun Hole- #1 Par 4. Slight Dog-leg right

It is 330 from the tips but if you take it over the trees that protect the front left green you can land it on the green with a good drive of 285 carry.  This hole tempts you right from the start because if your a long hitter.  I guess I consider myself long because I have landed this green 4-5 times.  But if you come up short and manage to get lost in the trees you can easily make a 6.

My back deck is 30 yards from the 3rd green of my home course. 9 hole private course in a gated community so typically the course is empty, as a matter of fact , I don't think I have ever had anybody in front or behind me waiting to hit. Takes about an hour and a half to play 9 . Favorite hole is the 9th , par 4 elevated dog leg 338 yards, green is out of sight from the tee and surrounded by a pond. If you are feeling frisky you can bomb the dog leg and if you go 10 yards to the right of the tallest pine tree you can drive the green. Or end up in a sand trap or the pond. Lol Second fav hole is the 3rd since it is essentially by back yard. We have BBQ parties and turn on the deck flood lights. Fun to night putt and play out of the sand trap. I have a range mat on my deck and we chip off it onto the green. Right now I am laying on my bed watching the football game and can see a 4 some putting out my bedroom window......hard to not like that setup.

When a company makes a club in the USA I will proudly display their brand here. All of mine were made in china by somebody making $2 a day. Shame on you Mr club manufacture.

Today was a fine day -- 77 degrees, blue sky, no wind -- and I was cruising at one under here (the seventh) before taking a little dip, as usual. Scenic beauty my ass.

Looking back to the tee, plays about 180 yards to the middle.

1c4677fb.jpg

Stretch.

"In the process of trial and error, our failed attempts are meant to destroy arrogance and provoke humility." -- Master Jin Kwon

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by Stretch

Today was a fine day -- 77 degrees, blue sky, no wind -- and I was cruising at one under here (the seventh) before taking a little dip, as usual. Scenic beauty my ass.

Looking back to the tee, plays about 180 yards to the middle.

And here in Massachusetts we have three feet of snow.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

• 1 month later...

One of the courses in my area in Fairfield, IL has the 18th hole that looks very much like the 17th at tpc sawgrass, island green and about the same distance.  Last time i played there last year I thought i had hit a good shot but I guess i hit it too well or the yardage was wrong, 135 is a well struck 8 iron for me, was a nice trajectory shot but it hit the back of the green and skipped over into the water.  I dropped one up by the green and i think i ended up making 5.  That course is unusual as the last 2 holes are both par 3's.  The 17th is a 180 yard basic straight par 3 where the only real danger is going too far left and landing in the parking lot so dont park too close if you go there.

Driver-Taylormade Burner Ti 420 cc 10.5 deg reg flex
3 wood-orlimar rcx 14 deg
Hybrids-warrior golf 20 deg, 23 deg and 26 deg
6-pw-AFFINITY / ORLIMAR HT2 irons steel shafts, reg flex, 56 deg tour series wedge
Putter-Rife 2 Bar Hybrid Mallet...

Hamilton, Ohio

Walden Ponds Golf Course

Usually the course i play. 7000 yards from the way back Tee's. Usually i play from the Blue Tee's so plays like 6800.

Right in the middle of a neighborhood. Lots of water and a Ton of sandtraps. Pretty Challenging course has alot of really good holes. Course has really came back looking good this year. Theyve always had alot of problems with the sand traps. Got out there for the first time this year since the course just opened a couple weeks ago for the season and it's looking good.

Favorite- Longer Course, has 3 par 5's with a long drive are reachable in 2. If you are a long driver you can reach the par 4 8th thats slightly uphill in 2. 321 to the green (hit the green in one a few times). Also hole #14 318 slightly downhill is reachable. Ive been on the green in one just a couple times. Old mansion is now the clubhouse. Just a good course. And you can play it all year for like 18-25 bucks on golf now. All the time.

Least Favorite- Geese Everywhere. Course has had it's problems with sand traps an being flooded. On some holes they are non-playable free drop. This year however they are in alot better shape and playable. Your not allowed to walk the course either. I hate hole number 16 484yd par 4 straight but everything runs off to the pond on the left. Everytime i hit driver since i hit a light draw it ends up either in the pond or close to the hazard. If i try laying up with a wood ill hit in the water. So i usually have problems with this hole.

Played yesterday an hit the pin on 17 from 102 out with 56 degree wedge. left it 3 inches from the cup.

Looking back onto Number 1 from the green of 16.

New Image.JPG

• 3 weeks later...

Originally Posted by CincyCreech

Hamilton, Ohio

Walden Ponds Golf Course

Usually the course i play. 7000 yards from the way back Tee's. Usually i play from the Blue Tee's so plays like 6800.

Right in the middle of a neighborhood. Lots of water and a Ton of sandtraps. Pretty Challenging course has alot of really good holes. Course has really came back looking good this year. Theyve always had alot of problems with the sand traps. Got out there for the first time this year since the course just opened a couple weeks ago for the season and it's looking good.

Favorite- Longer Course, has 3 par 5's with a long drive are reachable in 2. If you are a long driver you can reach the par 4 8th thats slightly uphill in 2. 321 to the green (hit the green in one a few times). Also hole #14 318 slightly downhill is reachable. Ive been on the green in one just a couple times. Old mansion is now the clubhouse. Just a good course. And you can play it all year for like 18-25 bucks on golf now. All the time.

Least Favorite- Geese Everywhere. Course has had it's problems with sand traps an being flooded. On some holes they are non-playable free drop. This year however they are in alot better shape and playable. Your not allowed to walk the course either. I hate hole number 16 484yd par 4 straight but everything runs off to the pond on the left. Everytime i hit driver since i hit a light draw it ends up either in the pond or close to the hazard. If i try laying up with a wood ill hit in the water. So i usually have problems with this hole.

Played yesterday an hit the pin on 17 from 102 out with 56 degree wedge. left it 3 inches from the cup.

Looking back onto Number 1 from the green of 16.

Hey Cincy,

I'm right up the road from you.  If you want to meet up at the course one weekend, shoot me a pm.

LIVING A DREAM
BOWLING GREEN STATE UNIVERSITY #56

My home course is Foothills Golf Course in SW Denver.  It's 18 holes, par 72.  7000 yards from blue tees and 6500 from the whites, but it's a mile above sea level so that isn't as long as it might sound.  There are several really good holes, more than I have time to describe.  The 18th is a great finishing hole, 430 yards sharp dogleg left with a mound inside of the dogleg and 2 fairway bunkers topping the mound.  The bunkers are a 230-240 yard carry to clear, but if you manage it, you get rewarded with a short iron or wedge to the green.  The green has a narrow steam in front 40 yards short, and lakes left and right.  You can make or break a round on this hole.

Here are a couple of photos.  The first is the 18th green from the left side looking back toward the fairway bunkers and the tee:

IMG_0038.jpg

This one is a panorama centered on the 18th green which I took from the balcony of the clubhouse:

18Pano.jpg

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

My home course is a muni, the oldest golf course in the area.  The greens make the course difficult, from the back tees the course is only 6100 yards but the greens are realitively small and have some difficult slopes and contours.  The course is very hilly, so a lot of the greens are built so that reading the slope is an optical illusion, a 10 ft putt will look flat but when you putt it, it breaks 10 inches.

Can't say I have a least favorite hole but the course has several unique holes, both 9 and 18 are par 3's that play from a 90 ft cliff down to the green, very hard to pick a club.  There is a hole that has a mirror on it that you have to check to see if the fairway is clear before playing, as the fairway is over the hill and you can't see it.  Also, a hole with a bell that you ring when you get past a certain point of the fairway to signal to the tee box they can hit away, as you can't see the landing area, but you can see the green.

They do have one really great feature, while they don't have yardage on the sprinkler head, in the middle of the fairways, they have a small blue (200), white (150) and red (100) flexible, bendable, plyable stake, that if you run over with your cart just bends and pops back up, to easily be able to judge distance.  These are easy to spot and saves a lot of time on figuring out yardage.

Craig 

Yeah, wanna make 14 dollars the hard way?

Originally Posted by lumpuckeroo

My home course is a muni, the oldest golf course in the area. ... but the course has several unique holes, both 9 and 18 are par 3's that play from a 90 ft cliff down to the green, very hard to pick a club.  There is a hole that has a mirror on it that you have to check to see if the fairway is clear before playing, as the fairway is over the hill and you can't see it.  Also, a hole with a bell that you ring when you get past a certain point of the fairway to signal to the tee box they can hit away, as you can't see the landing area, but you can see the green.

They do have one really great feature, while they don't have yardage on the sprinkler head, in the middle of the fairways, they have a small blue (200), white (150) and red (100) flexible, bendable, plyable stake.

Funny. You wrote up your home course last year in this thread! Must be a good one though to get two mentions.

Up in Wisconsin, where they still have some hills, there a couple of course I've played with those 100 feet up and 100 yard out par 3's. After pounding it past the green, you figure out a 60 yard lob will carry onto the green. Peninsula State Park in Wisconsin's Door County has one of those, and also the hole with the ships bell, same as yours. Great views of Lake Michigan. Closer to my home, is a course  with a 10-15 foot high wooden periscope on one hole to see over the hill like yours.

Note: This thread is 3609 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!