IGNORED

Headcovers (Covers) For Irons

ChgMan
Note: This thread is 2794 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Like the two above posts say, some manufacturers explicitly advise against iron covers. That said, I think they'd be a good idea if you're transporting them in a plane, or something like that. In that case you're mainly looking for ding protection, and there isn't a huge chance for moisture trapping. But for everyday play, I'd avoid them.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

If you use iron covers, you won't get the nicks and scratches in the chrome that eventually lead to rusting when moisture is trapped in the iron cover. Is that irony or simply justification for self perpetuating gayness. Yeah, I said it.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Used the black neoprene slip on covers when I played forged. Simply wiped the iron off before putting the cover back on. But, here in Tucson, AZ the humidity hardly ever gets above 60%, and that is only during monsoon season. Rust isn't a real big issue here.

And they do a pretty good job of keeping your irons from looking like they hang out in the back of some rednecks pickup truck...  ;)

In the Bag

Ping i15 8* Diamana Whiteboard

Titleist 909f3 13.5* Aldila NV

Ping S57 3-PW KBS C-taper

Macgregor 52, 56, and 60 wedges

SC Newport 2.5

Light travels faster than sound. That is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

I used iron covers a couple of years, and live in a high humidity area. Always wiped the club after hitting it, never had issues with moisture getting trapped.

My recommendation on gloves are Gloveskin . I eventually got tired of the gloves and stopped using them. The chatter don't bother me, and I can't say my forged clubs looks bad because of dinging.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Originally Posted by 85MPH

Looking to get a set of iron covers for a set of Titleist CBs, anyone have any recommendations or brands/models to avoid?

just dont cheap out on the ones you get. Dicks sporting goods sells the gloveskin ones and those are great, ive had them for about a year on my clubs. Clubs look brand new except for the face,

I'm in the minority in that I like using iron covers.  Have used the neoprene type on my Tour Burners since I got them in the spring of 08 and they still look great. If I happen to play under very wet conditions, I leave the covers off when I get home until they are dried.  I don't like the sound of irons clanking around either.  As far as contributing to slow play, that is complete nonsense.  It takes no time to pull a club, put cover in pocket, hit shot, wipe club and replace cover.

In my Bagboy cart bag:
Driver: TM R11s 10.5 R-flex 3W: TM 09 Burner 3H: TM 09 Burner Irons: TM Tour Burner 4-PW r-flex
Wedges: Wilson TW9 GW, Ping Eye 2+ SW, Vokey SM 58.08      Putter:TM Rossa Spider Ball: TM TP/Red LDP, TF Gamer v2   Range Finder: GX-I

I use to use head covers for my irons also, they are a pain, ended up loosing a few of them over time. I bought a new bag this past year got the Bennington Quiet Organizer, no more head covers and no more chatter. Highly recommend the Bennington Quiet Organizer.

I don't like iron head covers but when I transport my irons in the car, or leave them at the rack at the course I use my towel to snake between the irons to prevent them from hitting each other.

Joe Paradiso

Thanks to everyone who replied to my original question instead of trying to talk me out of iron covers.  I went with the Gloveskin and they work well.  Yes, their a pain in the azz, but better than getting bag wear on a brand new set of sticks.  I may have to try the Bennington Organizer when the covers get on my nerves too bad.

plus 1 on the Bennington bag . I like mine a lot and my clubs look great

cleveland Hibore xls 8.5* driver
Cleveland Hiborexls 13* 3 wood
Ping S 56
Nike oz putter

I have the Castle Bay neoprene style.  The stitching started coming loose and some holes wore through in the first season, (fat sole GI irons).  They look ratty but still do the job for transport.  If I were to buy some more I'd spend a few dollars more and get something more durable.

I have the Castle Bay soft plastic one piece slip ons on my old DCI's. I wipe the club after each shot and they are stainless, so no problems with rusting in 19 years and my DCI's look new. When I pull the club, I stick the cover in my hip pocket, after the shot I wipe the club and stick the cover on. If I am not driving, I may do this while riding to the next shot. It takes 5 seconds and does not slow down play. I understand your obsession and have a set of 30+ year old Wilson Staffs that would pass for at least a 2 year old set.

That said, my "new" walking set is pre nicked and I do not use iron head covers on them.  I must say I enjoy the freedom!

Don

In the bag:

Driver: PING 410 Plus 9 degrees, Alta CB55 S  Fairway: Callaway Rogue 3W PX Even Flow Blue 6.0; Hybrid: Titleist 818H1 21* PX Even Flow Blue 6.0;  Irons: Titleist 718 AP1 5-W2(53*) Shafts- TT AMT Red S300 ; Wedges Vokey SM8 56-10D Putter: Scotty Cameron 2016 Newport 2.5  Ball: Titleist AVX or 2021 ProV1

Originally Posted by sean_miller

If you use iron covers, you won't get the nicks and scratches in the chrome that eventually lead to rusting when moisture is trapped in the iron cover. Is that irony or simply justification for self perpetuating gayness. Yeah, I said it.

Turn out the lights, hand the fat lady the microphone, and pull all the pins--Sean has almost endorsed iron covers!  Say it isn't so!

Don

In the bag:

Driver: PING 410 Plus 9 degrees, Alta CB55 S  Fairway: Callaway Rogue 3W PX Even Flow Blue 6.0; Hybrid: Titleist 818H1 21* PX Even Flow Blue 6.0;  Irons: Titleist 718 AP1 5-W2(53*) Shafts- TT AMT Red S300 ; Wedges Vokey SM8 56-10D Putter: Scotty Cameron 2016 Newport 2.5  Ball: Titleist AVX or 2021 ProV1

Originally Posted by dbuck

Turn out the lights, hand the fat lady the microphone, and pull all the pins--Sean has almost endorsed iron covers!  Say it isn't so!

I'll never use them myself (tried with my first full set - annoying, time consuming, and more than a little bit OCD) but I'm all for other guys using them for their new forged irons.

But it's a great surprise finding out irons you just bought off ebay are in better shape than they should be.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Originally Posted by newtogolf

I don't like iron head covers but when I transport my irons in the car, or leave them at the rack at the course I use my towel to snake between the irons to prevent them from hitting each other.

This is what I do when packing my clubs in the travel case for a plane journey. I also wrap a towel around the outsied of them for extra padding. Other than that my irons and wedges are "au naturelle"

SWING DNA
Speed [77] Tempo [5] ToeDown [5] KickAngle [6] Release [5] Mizuno JPX EZ 10.5° - Fujikura Orochi Black Eye (with Harrison ShotMaker) Mizuno JPX EZ 3W/3H - Fujikura Orochi Black Eye Mizuno JPX 850 Forged 4i-PW - True Temper XP 115 S300 Mizuno MP R-12 50.06/54.09/58.10 - Dynamic Gold Wedge Flex Mizuno MP A305 [:-P]

• 3 months later...

hey guys. does anyone use iron headcovers? thanks

My clubs-

Driver- Cleveland XL270 

3 wood- Cleveland XL270 HL 3 wood

hybrid and irons-Cleveland Mashie 3 hybrid 

Adams a4r 4 hybrid-gw

wedges- a4r pw, gw, snakeyes 

Callaway x-series jaws 56 Degree, 60 Degree

putter- Oddessey metal-x 

I have thought about it lately.  My old clubs (Callaway X-18's) seemed un-dentable.  My new irons are cast but "soft stainless steel" and seem to pick up small dents more easily.

My problem with iron covers are speed of play.

Note: This thread is 2794 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!