IGNORED

AimPoint Green Reading

38 minutes ago, woodzie264 said:

Two of the last 5 rounds had an increase in GIR% (typically 4 per round up to 6-10), which I intutively think would result in longer 1st putts than if chipping onto the green... making the putting improvements even more impressive.

Admittedly, I haven't given much thought to length of 1st putts since I don't record that statistic, but having said that I can't argue with the obvious improvements in reduction of three putts.

image.jpg

Looking back, it was actually 22 three-putts prior...I really suck:-(

Driver: :callaway: Rogue ST  /  Woods: :tmade: Stealth 5W / Hybrid: :tmade: Stealth 25* / Irons: :ping: i500’s /  Wedges: :edel: 54*, 58*; Putter: :scotty_cameron: Futura 5  Ball: image.png Vero X1

-Jonny

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

admittedly, I really do not understand Aimpoint or Aimpoint plus. I really cannot get a feel of slope from my feet. I had a little success from the two/three finger method, but mostly just rely on my eyes and touch. I can't complain though, I rarely have any three putts. Last round was 16 putts per side.

"James"

:titleist: 913 D3 with Aldila RIP Phenom 60 4,2 Regular Shaft,  :touredge: Exotics XCG-7 Beta 3W with Matrix Red Tie Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX8 19 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3 Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX9 28 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3  shaft, / Bobby Jones Black 22 deg Hybrid:touredge: Exotics EXi 6 -PW  w UST Mamiya Recoil F2 Shaft, SW (56),GW (52),LW (60):touredge:  TGS),/ ODDYSEE Metal-X #7 customized putter (400G, cut down Mid Belly)

Since the Aimpoint Express class, I feel more confident in my putting.   I feel that most 6' are automatic (they're not) and I'm considerably closer on longer putts.   I still have a ways to go but I can see improvement every time I play.    

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

• Administrator
7 hours ago, Hacker James said:

admittedly, I really do not understand Aimpoint or Aimpoint plus. I really cannot get a feel of slope from my feet. I had a little success from the two/three finger method, but mostly just rely on my eyes and touch. I can't complain though, I rarely have any three putts. Last round was 16 putts per side.

If you don't know what AimPoint is, there is no "two/three finger method."

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

30 minutes ago, iacas said:

If you don't know what AimPoint is, there is no "two/three finger method."

I was referring to an article I read somewhere and I believe it was related to Aimpoint Express where the golfer would stand ten feet or so away from the hole, and hold up 3 or 4 fingers towards the break and aimed there. I am possibly mistaken or it was something else. I already admitted to NOT knowing much about aim point. As I recall, the same article mentioned getting a small level from Home Depot to measure the degree of slope.

"James"

:titleist: 913 D3 with Aldila RIP Phenom 60 4,2 Regular Shaft,  :touredge: Exotics XCG-7 Beta 3W with Matrix Red Tie Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX8 19 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3 Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX9 28 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3  shaft, / Bobby Jones Black 22 deg Hybrid:touredge: Exotics EXi 6 -PW  w UST Mamiya Recoil F2 Shaft, SW (56),GW (52),LW (60):touredge:  TGS),/ ODDYSEE Metal-X #7 customized putter (400G, cut down Mid Belly)

• Administrator
1 minute ago, Hacker James said:

I was referring to an article I read somewhere and I believe it was related to Aimpoint Express where the golfer would stand ten feet or so away from the hole, and hold up 3 or 4 fingers towards the break and aimed there. I am possibly mistaken or it was something else. I already admitted to NOT knowing much about aim point. As I recall, the same article mentioned getting a small level from Home Depot to measure the degree of slope.

My point was… if you don't know what you're doing holding up fingers, of course the method doesn't work. You don't know what you're doing until you learn what to do.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

OK, guess I should research should I want to.

"James"

50 minutes ago, Hacker James said:

OK, guess I should research should I want to.

fwiw, although not the same article I read some time ago; I found this:

http://golfweek.com/2014/05/27/adam-scott-putting-routine-pga-tour-express-read/

I think it is called "Express Read"

"James"

9 hours ago, Hacker James said:

fwiw, although not the same article I read some time ago; I found this:

http://golfweek.com/2014/05/27/adam-scott-putting-routine-pga-tour-express-read/

I think it is called "Express Read"

Take the class. You will not regret it. I played a scramble a couple of weekends ago and read all the putts for our group using express. We had 16 one putts including 6 birdies and 10 par saves. It really works. I made 4 of the 6 birdie putts too. 

• Upvote 1

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

1 hour ago, boogielicious said:

Take the class. You will not regret it. I played a scramble a couple of weekends ago and read all the putts for our group using express. We had 16 one putts including 6 birdies and 10 par saves. It really works. I made 4 of the 6 birdie putts too. 

that's pretty good.

"James"

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't taken a course so I have no validity in if it works or not. But I can't help but to laugh whenever I see yet another person winking at the hole while pointing a couple fingers at their line before stepping up and missing a 20 footer.

From what I've heard, there is some great things taught in aim point classes when it comes to recognizing break severity, but none of it means anything if you can't keep your ball perfectly on line.

In the bag:
Driver: R9 Supertri
3W: R9
3i-PW: Mizuno Mp-68
Wedges: Taylormade Racs
Putter: PING Redwood blade

2 hours ago, Mop Bucket said:

I haven't taken a course so I have no validity in if it works or not. But I can't help but to laugh whenever I see yet another person winking at the hole while pointing a couple fingers at their line before stepping up and missing a 20 footer.

From what I've heard, there is some great things taught in aim point classes when it comes to recognizing break severity, but none of it means anything if you can't keep your ball perfectly on line.

Yes, a perfect read is useless if you can't start your ball on line. But I'd still rather have the better read!

- John

5 hours ago, Hardspoon said:

Yes, a perfect read is useless if you can't start your ball on line. But I'd still rather have the better read!

Exactly - no matter whether you can keep your ball on line or not, theoretically you'll be better off in the long run by having better reads with better AimPoints.

Driver: :callaway: Rogue ST  /  Woods: :tmade: Stealth 5W / Hybrid: :tmade: Stealth 25* / Irons: :ping: i500’s /  Wedges: :edel: 54*, 58*; Putter: :scotty_cameron: Futura 5  Ball: image.png Vero X1

-Jonny

13 hours ago, Mop Bucket said:

Green reading is extremely important skill to lowering your score. Since using AP Express, I have more confidence in my read and therefore one less thing to worry about. All I have to do now is think about speed and make a good stroke. I can also get a read much quicker. I drained a 40 footer yesterday with the ole 2 finger salute. This is better than all the gimmicks that you will find on the market.

- Shane

55 minutes ago, CarlSpackler said:

Green reading is extremely important skill to lowering your score. Since using AP Express, I have more confidence in my read and therefore one less thing to worry about. All I have to do now is think about speed and make a good stroke. I can also get a read much quicker. I drained a 40 footer yesterday with the ole 2 finger salute. This is better than all the gimmicks that you will find on the market.

Yes, Aimpoint Express is a quick read.  I can't believe how much time Dustin Johnson or Jim Furyk and others tack to read a putt.  For some reason they haven't been showing Adam Scott getting a read on network golf coverage.  I'd love to see how long he takes with Aimpoint Express.

For me there are two benefits, it's a faster read and it's a more accurate read.

Even though I've only purchased the video, my reading has gotten much better with Aimpoint Express.  That's the bottom line.  If I had to make a guess, I'd guess it's lowered my 18 hole score by about 2 to 3 strokes.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, No Mulligans said:

Yes, Aimpoint Express is a quick read.  I can't believe how much time Dustin Johnson or Jim Furyk and others tack to read a putt.  For some reason they haven't been showing Adam Scott getting a read on network golf coverage.  I'd love to see how long he takes with Aimpoint Express.

For me there are two benefits, it's a faster read and it's a more accurate read.

Even though I've only purchased the video, my reading has gotten much better with Aimpoint Express.  That's the bottom line.  If I had to make a guess, I'd guess it's lowered my 18 hole score by about 2 to 3 strokes.

The people I play with are usually amazed at the accuracy. I played a scramble earlier this year and was giving our team express reads and we were dropping putts from all over. Once they started trusting my reads, which only took a few holes, we made quite a few on the first of second putt. I joked that I was going to stop carrying my putter to the green and just bring my feet and fingers. :-)

• Upvote 1

- Shane

I play golf with a guy on Thursdays that pretends he knows Aimpoint.  On less than 10' putts he goes to the midpoint and stands on the line feeling for slope with his feet, on longer putts he breaks up the distance and reads the slope at two different points.  He's by far the slowest player / putter and one of the worst putters in the group of 16.  

I was getting tired of watching him take 2+ minutes to read his putt every time so after he three putted for about the 5th time that day I asked him where he went for training so; 1) I wanted to avoid that instructor and 2) there really isn't anyone close to where I live on Long Island that is certified to train so i was curious where he went.  

It turns out he read some article in Golf Digest on it and "picked it up" from watching the pro's.  So I then asked if he used a laser level to learn to feel the differences in slope, he said that was a waste and that he can tell by feel how much slope there is.  

I now know why he putts so bad.  

Joe Paradiso

3 hours ago, newtogolf said:

I play golf with a guy on Thursdays that pretends he knows Aimpoint.  On less than 10' putts he goes to the midpoint and stands on the line feeling for slope with his feet, on longer putts he breaks up the distance and reads the slope at two different points.  He's by far the slowest player / putter and one of the worst putters in the group of 16.  

I was getting tired of watching him take 2+ minutes to read his putt every time so after he three putted for about the 5th time that day I asked him where he went for training so; 1) I wanted to avoid that instructor and 2) there really isn't anyone close to where I live on Long Island that is certified to train so i was curious where he went.  

It turns out he read some article in Golf Digest on it and "picked it up" from watching the pro's.  So I then asked if he used a laser level to learn to feel the differences in slope, he said that was a waste and that he can tell by feel how much slope there is.  

I now know why he putts so bad.  

2+ minutes is like a Dustin Johnson eternity (or Furyk, or Spieth, etc).  I'd say a 10' Aimpoint Express read takes me 10 seconds, it looks like Adam Scott spends about 20 seconds with his read in tournament conditions.  I found this: