IGNORED

The Dan Plan - 10,000 Hours to Become a Pro Golfer (Dan McLaughlin)

Jonnydanger81
Note: This thread is 2559 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lihu View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by nevets88 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfbarefoot View Post
Quote:
It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.
-President T. Roosevelt

32... Lol!!

This reply is totally unwarranted. @DutchLeon made a balanced critique based on facts and did not disparage The Dan Plan in any way, I'm pretty sure if Theodore Roosevelt saw someone who was trying to achieve something but repeating things that weren't working, he'd say something about it.

Sure, Dan has trouble breaking 80 which indicates that he's something like 10 strokes higher than his 3. This seems to be pretty basic math.

BTW, @DutchLeon , no need to hold back from disparaging "The Dan Plan", either. :-D

What? No..... We're not here to disparage. Let's try and make the best of it and see what we can learn from this experience to help golfers improve.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

[QUOTE name="Lihu" url="/t/45853/the-dan-plan-10-000-hours-to-become-a-pro-golfer-dan-mclaughlin/2560_40#post_1101823"]   [QUOTE name="nevets88" url="/t/45853/the-dan-plan-10-000-hours-to-become-a-pro-golfer-dan-mclaughlin/2556#post_1101822"]   [QUOTE name="golfbarefoot" url="/t/45853/the-dan-plan-10-000-hours-to-become-a-pro-golfer-dan-mclaughlin/2560_40#post_1101815"]   [QUOTE] It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat. -President T. Roosevelt[/QUOTE] 32... Lol!![/QUOTE] This reply is totally unwarranted. @DutchLeon made a balanced critique based on facts and did not disparage The Dan Plan in any way, I'm pretty sure if Theodore Roosevelt saw someone who was trying to achieve something but repeating things that weren't working, he'd say something about it. [/QUOTE] Sure, Dan has trouble breaking 80 which indicates that he's something like 10 strokes higher than his 3. This seems to be pretty basic math. BTW, @DutchLeon , no need to hold back from disparaging "The Dan Plan", either. :-D   [/QUOTE] What? No..... We're not here to disparage. Let's try and make the best of it and see what we can learn from this experience to help golfers improve.

Oh, okay, but you're taking all the fun out of this thread. . .

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfbarefoot View Post

Quote:
It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.

-President T. Roosevelt

32... Lol!!

This reply is totally unwarranted. @DutchLeon
made a balanced critique based on facts and did not disparage The Dan Plan in any way, I'm pretty sure if Theodore Roosevelt saw someone who was trying to achieve something but repeating things that weren't working, he'd say something about it.

Sure, Dan has trouble breaking 80 which indicates that he's something like 10 strokes higher than his 3. This seems to be pretty basic math.

BTW, @DutchLeon
, no need to hold back from disparaging "The Dan Plan", either.

What? No..... We're not here to disparage. Let's try and make the best of it and see what we can learn from this experience to help golfers improve.

Oh, okay, but you're taking all the fun out of this thread. . .

Let's have some fun...

:banana:

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

• Administrator

What was your handicap when you started?

As he's been restricted from the thread, let's stick to the topic.

Thanks.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

• Administrator

Dan's original instructor is Chris(topher) Smith.

Who… is lecturing for two days at PGA Level 2 seminars right now.

Must… resist… urge… to… ask… about… practicing… tap-ins… for… weeks… :-)

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Dan's original instructor is Chris(topher) Smith.

Who… is lecturing for two days at PGA Level 2 seminars right now.

Must… resist… urge… to… ask… about… practicing… tap-ins… for… weeks…

you should totally ask, I would be curious to hear his side.

• Administrator

Asking does not align with my goals for the next 36 hours. :-)

Quote:

Originally Posted by garybbq

Asking does not align with my goals for the next 36 hours.

Mental image of said instructor browsing TST Dan Plan thread on smartphone in classroom during break, suddenly gives Erik a furrowed brow look. :mad:

:-)

Steve

http://www.golfblogger.com/index.php/golf/comments/att_brings_fans_eye_view_to_pebble_beach_attpro_am/

....AT&T; has enlisted four golf fans to experience the 30th year of their Pebble Beach National Pro-Am sponsorship from start to finish. This Foursome will use social media via their HTC devices on the AT&T; network to bring the experience of being at the tournament right to your LCD screen.

The Foursome is comprised of military veteran Tim Lang, First Tee Mentor Katie Horsford, Dan McLaughlin of The Dan Plan and Tiffany Fitzgerald ofBlack Girls Golf.

During their week at the #ATTProAm, they’ll participate in the full range of events, including attending a charity gala for the Veteran’s Transition Center of Monterey County, playing in the Boys and Girls Club Pro-Am, taking part in golf instruction- , including Video Swing Analysis with Laird Small, Director of the Pebble Beach Golf Academy, Robotic Swing Trainers with Scot Nei, the Science and Motion Puttlab with Kevin Hanssen and Full Swing Instruction with Dan Pasquariello. They’ll also get a chance to walk the course with the Pebble Beach Historian, meet Jordan Spieth and watch the tournament from inside the ropes....

I'm surprised nothing on his site about this.

My Swing

Driver: :ping: G30, Irons: :tmade: Burner 2.0, Putter: :cleveland:, Balls: :snell:

Quote:

It's great. More opportunity for Dan to have his emperor's clothes exposed when they actually see him play.

Anyway, his focus is attracting media and attention, which is probably easier than breaking 80 regularly.

It'll be positive because he'll be able to say that watching these guys up close has given him insight on what he has to work on if he's going to be one of them.

His handicap will get down to 2.5 and then in his first "Tourney" of the year he'll open with 81 and 83.

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

Personally, I don't think he's a legitimate single handicapper.  4 indexes do not shoot 87 in the Oregon Mid-Am.

It's great. More opportunity for Dan to have his emperor's clothes exposed when they actually see him play.

Anyway, his focus is attracting media and attention, which is probably easier than breaking 80 regularly.

It'll be positive because he'll be able to say that watching these guys up close has given him insight on what he has to work on if he's going to be one of them.

His handicap will get down to 2.5 and then in his first "Tourney" of the year he'll open with 81 and 83.

Yeah, I'm kind of over this whole thing too.  Not because it isn't an interesting experiment, but just because -- and I feel bad saying this -- I don't believe him.  Guys who really have a handicap under 5 don't routinely go out and balloon an 85 in tournament play.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorty View Post
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ztexz View Post

Personally, I don't think he's a legitimate single handicapper.  4 indexes do not shoot 87 in the Oregon Mid-Am.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorty View Post

Yeah, I'm kind of over this whole thing too.  Not because it isn't an interesting experiment, but just because -- and I feel bad saying this -- I don't believe him.  Guys who really have a handicap under 5 don't routinely go out and balloon an 85 in tournament play.

As this depends upon the difficulty of the course, I am missing critical information to even begin to assess his performance.

Just out of curiosity, what is the more or less "standard" difficulty (CR/slope) of a course used for Tourneys?

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

1. That's not really true. High 80's rounds should not be common for a 4-capper, but they definitely occur. One of my buddies hovers between a 3.5-5 index. Whenever I sneak a peek at his last 20 rounds, it's rare that I won't find at least one or two "blowup" rounds in the mix.

2. Even if you doubt Dan is a legit 4, it's quite a leap to go from that to doubting he's a single digit at all. Just about anyone who can shoot in the 70's more than 10% of their rounds on a moderately challenging course will have a legit single digit index.

http://www.golfblogger.com/index.php/golf/comments/att_brings_fans_eye_view_to_pebble_beach_attpro_am/

Quote:

....AT&T; has enlisted four golf fans to experience the 30th year of their Pebble Beach National Pro-Am sponsorship from start to finish. This Foursome will use social media via their HTC devices on the AT&T; network to bring the experience of being at the tournament right to your LCD screen.

The Foursome is comprised of military veteran Tim Lang, First Tee Mentor Katie Horsford, Dan McLaughlin of The Dan Plan and Tiffany Fitzgerald ofBlack Girls Golf.

During their week at the #ATTProAm, they’ll participate in the full range of events, including attending a charity gala for the Veteran’s Transition Center of Monterey County, playing in the Boys and Girls Club Pro-Am, taking part in golf instruction- , including Video Swing Analysis with Laird Small, Director of the Pebble Beach Golf Academy, Robotic Swing Trainers with Scot Nei, the Science and Motion Puttlab with Kevin Hanssen and Full Swing Instruction with Dan Pasquariello. They’ll also get a chance to walk the course with the Pebble Beach Historian, meet Jordan Spieth and watch the tournament from inside the ropes....

Yeah, I saw a hint of this on his Twitter account yesterday. The blurbs on each of the foursome are a little longer here:

http://ht.ly/IyJ6l

Steve

Quote:

Originally Posted by RandallT

Quote:

Yeah, I saw a hint of this on his Twitter account yesterday. The blurbs on each of the foursome are a little longer here:

http://ht.ly/IyJ6l

Regardless of how any of them play there is a common theme in their selection. Hope. . .

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

Regardless of how any of them play there is a common theme in their selection. Hope. . .

Open the link, he's not there to play, he's there as a fan to cover it from a fan's perspective... (argghhh)

And his picture is terrible, is that his blue underwear showing because he didn't tuck in his shirt? Hahaha

Quote from link:

When Dan turned 30, he did what every average person does – quit his job as a commercial photographer and picked up a golf club for the first time, with the simple goal of mastering the notoriously difficult sport. No big deal. He was inspired by the idea that if you dedicate 10,000 hours of deliberate practice toward something, you can achieve mastery. He created “ target=”_blank”>The Dan Plan ” to prove to himself and others that through raw persistence, it’s never too late to start a new pursuit in life. Dan has now completed over 5,000 hours of training. He still has his eyes on a PGA career but, more importantly, he’s discovery a profound feeling of happiness from just being on the journey.

Oh, vomit.

Steve

Quote from link:

When Dan turned 30, he did what every average person does – quit his job as a commercial photographer and picked up a golf club for the first time, with the simple goal of mastering the notoriously difficult sport. No big deal. He was inspired by the idea that if you dedicate 10,000 hours of deliberate practice toward something, you can achieve mastery. He created “target=”_blank”>The Dan Plan” to prove to himself and others that through raw persistence, it’s never too late to start a new pursuit in life. Dan has now completed over 5,000 hours of training. He still has his eyes on a PGA career but, more importantly, he’s discovery a profound feeling of happiness from just being on the journey.

Oh, vomit.

Yeah, sure. :-D

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

Note: This thread is 2559 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!