IGNORED

Putterhead wobbles on the takeaway

Note: This thread is 4750 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I had this problem too, particularly on short putts.  The solution for me was to swing the putter in an arc rather than trying take it straight back.

:tmade: SLDRs 14* driver, 17* fairway, 19* and 22* hybrids | :odyssey: Versa White #1 putter

:nike: XR Pro 24*, 27*, 31*, 35.5*, 40*, 45*, 50* irons | :vokey: SM4 54*, 58* wedges

Already swing in an arc.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by Zeph

Easy to say if you already got a good motion. You could say the same about the full swing; "Just hit the ball". But it's not that easy.

A little confidence in yourself man.  You already have a good motion!  It IS that easy!

Ever play basketball and shoot some free throws?  You miss one, are you gonna think, oh, my stance is misaligned, my fingers didn't roll off the center smoothly, my right hip is lower than my left, my undies were riding too high....  no, you pick up the ball and shoot again.  You ever watch a little kid play putt putt with terrible technique?  Notice how they make holes in one on 1/4th of the holes?!  Just have fun and do it.

If you're really worried, post up a putting video!

only thing I focus on is making sure my my path and face is completely square. Its alot easier because you are going so slow, imagine how easy it is to square up a clubface on an iron or driver if you were swinging as slow as a putt. My putts are usually on my aim line putting this way. Reading putts is the hard part.

I'm not worried, just thought it was something to get rid of. I think I've gotten rid of the worst issues now. Haven't tried it out on the course yet though.

I feel more confident and is able to relax when I got a stroke I know I can trust. If I know I wobble the clubhead all over the place, it won't give me any confidence. I'm very detailed and technical in my approach to golf, "just do it"-thoughts never work for me. Everything got a cause and effect. If I can eliminate the cause, I'll eliminate the effect.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

I'm not worried, just thought it was something to get rid of. I think I've gotten rid of the worst issues now. Haven't tried it out on the course yet though.

I feel more confident and is able to relax when I got a stroke I know I can trust. If I know I wobble the clubhead all over the place, it won't give me any confidence. I'm very detailed and technical in my approach to golf, "just do it"-thoughts never work for me. Everything got a cause and effect. If I can eliminate the cause, I'll eliminate the effect.

yea the just do it doesnt work sometimes. I have a friend that plays with us every week and putting is his weak spot. He putts on such an arc its crazy, its almost looks like hes playing an iron shot because the toe of the putter sticks up in the air and the heel is on the ground. He cant hit a putt straight to save his life.

Zeph,

I found for me that the putter wobbles if I have the head too close to my feet.  If it wobbles on the practice swing, I consciously set up with the head about 1/2 to 1 inch further away.  That cures the wobble.  I asssociate it with the putter head getting back to the right plane.  If I am too close, the head moves out away from my feet at the start of the takeaway and wobbles.  If I am on plane, the goes back smoothly.

I use the Stan Utley method for putting.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Forward press is already there, but with too loose wrists, so they struggle with picking up the club once it leave the ground. I can probably keep the club grounded and swing with firmer wrists.

I'll try different ideas and see what works. If someone else will be trying the same, make sure you post your experience.

Too much forward press will lose the loft of the club too.

I added length to my putter and that allowed me to bring my hands in close to my body where they are much more stable because I found for me that even though my hands were hangin comfortably, they were too far away from me and it made my stroke unstable. I also had to adjust the loft and lie of my putter but the results were immediate and very positve for me.  Best of luck.

No further explanation needed I guess. I've tried keeping the wrists from moving, swing with the shoulders etc., but it still does this wobbly move on the backswing. I start thinking about the wobbling midway and often the speed suffer.

Any safe bets on what cause this?

Once set over the ball, I just take a deep breath, which has the effect of very slightly raising the putter head from the grass blades. Then start the backstroke. For me, "hovering" the putter seems to be the key to a smooth takeaway, but I don't wan't to be consciously picking it up with my hands or otherwise changing my alignments once I've chosen them.

Stretch.

"In the process of trial and error, our failed attempts are meant to destroy arrogance and provoke humility." -- Master Jin Kwon

Note: This thread is 4750 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!