IGNORED

Ian Poulter - Right or Wrong?

britzie
Note: This thread is 4721 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Ah, Poults. Always good for some drama.

This is surely one of the situations, that should only be regulated among the players.

No harm, no foul, and I applaud Poulter for the entertainment.

• Upvote 2

In my Tour Combo Bag:

Driver: Superquad 9.5°
5W: 2008 Burner 18°
3H: Idea Pro Gold 20°4H: 2008 Burner Rescue 22°Irons: MP52 R300 5-PWedges: Vokey SM 50.08, 54.11, 58.04, 60.11Putter: Itsy Bitsy SpiderBall: TP Red

The only issue I can see in this is how it affects the other player in Poulter's group and the group ahead when he is running around like that. I didn't catch if everyone else in his group had to run around as well. For Phil's group I'm sure it doesn't matter too much if they have to wait a minute or two for them to tee off, but the other guy might feel a bit pressured to rush things when Poulter is running around. I don't know who that was or if they discussed this before Poulter started running.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

My understanding is that Phil's group was cool with it as was Dustin. Apparently Phil told Poulter to "give them a shout" if they wanted to tee off, it was all in order to avoid a brutal tee time the next morning. I'm sure Dustin was happy to let Poulter do the running so he could just play golf. Have to wonder if Poulter would have made that putt if he hadn't ran full tilt to the green?

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

He was 10 shots off the lead, so I'm sure he didn't worry too much about his game at that point.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

• Administrator

Not a Poulter fan but I don't have a problem with this at all and in fact think it was good thinking by Poulter and very kind of Phil and DJ to let him hit.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

If no one else had any objections I'm fine with it I mean I would rather get up at 9am than 5am.

Driver: i15, 3 wood: G10, Hybrid: Nickent 4dx, Irons: Ping s57, Wedges: Mizuno MPT 52, 56, 60, Putter: XG #9 

Originally Posted by iacas

Not a Poulter fan but I don't have a problem with this at all and in fact think it was good thinking by Poulter and very kind of Phil and DJ to let him hit.

^^^^^ This.

In my bag: adams.gif Speedline Fast 10 10.5, Speedline 3W, Ping Zing2 5-SW  vokey.gif 60 deg odyssey.gif 2-ball    330-RXS

Having read your replies looks like I am in a minority!

With hindsight, Phil was happy for him to tee off at 18 – so no damage done.

Just looked a bit strange to me the first time I saw it…

Didn't Poults, or someone else, do this a couple months ago too?  I seem to remember someone doing this too in an effort to finish out their round before the inevitable horn blow for an approaching storm or something like that.

Originally Posted by glock35ipsc

Didn't Poults, or someone else, do this a couple months ago too?  I seem to remember someone doing this too in an effort to finish out their round before the inevitable horn blow for an approaching storm or something like that.

Rory Sabbatini did it earlier this season.

I think Ian doing this was no problem whatsoever and I'm sure his playing partners at the time all voted YES for him to do it.  I would've!

Deryck Griffith

Titleist 910 D3: 9.5deg GD Tour AD DI7x | Nike Dymo 3W: 15deg, UST S-flex | Mizuno MP CLK Hybrid: 20deg, Project X Tour Issue 6.5, HC1 Shaft | Mizuno MP-57 4-PW, DG X100 Shaft, 1deg upright | Cleveland CG15 Wedges: 52, 56, 60deg | Scotty Cameron California Del Mar | TaylorMade Penta, TP Black LDP, Nike 20XI-X

He's not stupid. Other than his Twitter barbs and this stunt, why would anyone be talking about him at all this week?

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Originally Posted by Zeph

The only issue I can see in this is how it affects the other player in Poulter's group and the group ahead when he is running around like that. I didn't catch if everyone else in his group had to run around as well. For Phil's group I'm sure it doesn't matter too much if they have to wait a minute or two for them to tee off, but the other guy might feel a bit pressured to rush things when Poulter is running around. I don't know who that was or if they discussed this before Poulter started running.

Actually, the funniest part about the whole ordeal was how Poulter did all of this work while DJ (his playing partner) just relaxed and played golf.  DJ ended up taking his time (as much time as he needed, since Poulter was running around like a madman) and sinking his birdie putt.  Then, as long as Poulter had already teed off on the next hole, DJ didn't have to rush: as long as one player in the group has teed off, the entire group is allowed to tee off and finish the hole.

In the end, it didn't really matter.  Phil didn't finish 18, and there wasn't enough light for them to do so.  But it was fun to watch.

Brandon

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

Poulter was caught jogging.

The rest of the tournament is negligible

:tmade: SLDR X-Stiff 12.5°
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Wood Stiff
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Hybrid Stiff
:nike:VR Pro Combo CB 4 - PW Stiff 2° Flat
:cleveland:588RTX CB 50.10 GW
:cleveland:588RTX CB 54.10 SW
:nike:VR V-Rev 60.8 LW
:nike:Method 002 Putter

Originally Posted by rossvanwyk

I missed all the action. what happened guys?

Basically, Poulter teed off on 17, did about a three-quarter sprint up to the green so that he could putt out while Dustin Johnson took his time strolling up to the green.  Then after Poulter putt out and while DJ was still sizing up his putt, Ian rushed to the 18th tee box where Phil & playing partner had JUST teed off and held them up so that he (Poulter) could tee off on 18.  The rules state that if one member of the group has teed off on a hole, they can elect to finish the hole.

Brandon

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

Note: This thread is 4721 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!