IGNORED

PING Eye 2s Are the Best Irons Ever Created

Note: This thread is 1301 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

On 5/11/2016 at 4:25 AM, boogielicious said:

I call those "fly-by" posts. We get them occasionally. Someone did a web search and a Sand Trap thread popped up. So they join and post a rant. Then we never hear from them again.

You mean that he's  flying troll?  That's a new form of life to me. :whistle:

On 5/10/2016 at 11:46 AM, mcanadiens said:

Actually the driver is the best club I hit. Irons, on the other hand, may as well be pool cues.

I tried to like the Ping Eye 2 way back when they first came out and were all the rage.  I couldn't hit them.  No flex, no weight to the clubhead (they had a C8 swingweight, and I was used to a D2) so I couldn't feel what I was doing.  I might as well have been swinging a broomstick.  I've never owned a single Ping product.  None of them ever really seemed to work for me.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Man PINGs do suck... Lol... They're not my cup of tea. But they ain't terrible. The newer models are getting a little more intriguing. 

But I'll be buried with my Exotics clubs.

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110 Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

Ping Zing 2's for me!  They work as well or better as anything else I've owned, and I never felt the need to own Eye 2's (although I hit them well in a simulator one time).

• 1 year later...

I'm new to this forum and have found this thread to be very entertaining...ive read the whole thing..i don't understand why people are getting upset with famous Davis's claims about the ping eye irons being the best. It's his opinion and he's entitled to it. He obviously loves those irons..and they work for him...which is great..lets leave it at that..ive golfed for 40 years and still shoot in the eighties...mainly cause I just don't get out enough to be more consistent...i will say that my  biggest problem is getting off the tee consistently affects my score the most...and putting...my iron play has always been consistently pretty good...right now I am playing ping i3's O size...which I like ok....i admit tho...i always wanted to try the ping eye 2 irons...i found a set of ping eye 2 becu  irons for sale locally in excellent condition for $350....i thought...why not give them a try..i will be picking them up tomorrow and getting them out to the driving range to see how they feel..cant wait!..i hope FD is right about them..

I have two complete iron sets of the eye-2. Pretty hard for me to part with these clubs as i hit them well. But...i hit AP1s at Turtle Bay a few months back and my buddies just the other day so I will be switching over winter.  I love Pings feel and look, but loved the Titleist feel much better. 

On ‎8‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 6:34 AM, Drzdave58 said:

..i don't understand why people are getting upset with famous Davis's claims about the ping eye irons being the best. It's his opinion and he's entitled to it.

PING clubs are one of those things people like to argue about.  Apple vs. Windows, Bose vs. any other brand...  it's one of those things.  I've never owned a set of PINGS but I've always thought they were cool. 

:mizuno:  :titleist:  :tmade:

First try on cast game improvement Pings maybe 8-9 years ago at fitting.  I thought "these things...no feel,  every shot even slight mishits feel pure".

Bought Mizuno.

Now,  I play Ping except sw.  

I own Staff Mizzy Titleist.  TBH all are great clubs.  

Becu Pings?  I do love the Becu look,  but it's the Indian not the arrow.  I score almost the same whether I am using my uber flat blades or the modern Pings.  

The Pings do help vs blades but imo that's almost any cavity back vs blade.  When I was a kid playing hand me down Kenneth Smith blades/wood woods I couldn't wait to get Dunlop ddh and I got some Taylor Made knock off steel woods.  I was set!

I had a canvas military tarp in the backyard strung from a tree I hit into when I was maybe twelve?  Grooved good ball first contact.  Got to course and was smokin twenty yard slices roflmao.  No nets for me.

11 hours ago, todgot said:

PING clubs are one of those things people like to argue about.  Apple vs. Windows, Bose vs. any other brand...  it's one of those things.  I've never owned a set of PINGS but I've always thought they were cool. 

I never got that impression.

Some golfers might have their brands they will never get away from. I think that concept applies more to Pro-V's versus any golf clubs.

On ‎8‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 9:34 AM, Drzdave58 said:

I'm new to this forum and have found this thread to be very entertaining...ive read the whole thing..i don't understand why people are getting upset with famous Davis's claims about the ping eye irons being the best. It's his opinion and he's entitled to it.

He's also then entitled to get peoples criticism about it ;) Just as he's entitled to think that Ping Eye 2's are the best irons ever made. People are entitled to say the opposite.

The best irons are the ones that a golf is most comfortable with that fit their game.

• Thumbs Up 1

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

This is clearly the best thread on any forum in the history of the internet.  The OP is every bit as amazing as he describes himself.  I am honored and not worthy of posting in this classic thread

After seeing this discussion resurrected, I felt I had NO choice other than to pull out my Eye 2s -- original 1983 issue.  They have been mistreated and were collecting dust in the garage.  I would like to add a plug here for late 90's Lamkin tour wraps because those grips which have not been touched in nearly 20 years were still in playable condition.  But I digress.

First, some history.  In 1983 while playing mid-1970's Top Flite irons (the bird ball ones) as a 13 year old, I first saw the Eye 2s in the pro shop at the Air Force base where I played golf.  I instantly fell in love.  Begged my dad to get them for me.  We made a deal, if I won the MGCJr end of season tourney, he would get me the clubs and I would repay him by mowing the grass pretty much for the remainder of my days at home.  I pulled off the win, and conveniently was scheduled to go to Phoenix to visit family that same month.  I went to the Ping HQ and was fitted for some white dots there.  After getting fitted, I went out for a 2pm tee time in 115 weather to play a quick 18 with my top flites.  To be 13 again.

I played those clubs through high school and never lost any love for them over the years.  I played less through the 90s, but when I got to the course, I continued to play them until a buddy talked me into Titleist 990Bs.  Being young and stupid, I thought playing a "players club" would be a good idea -- I can only assume for my "image".  Even though at the time I was playing about 15 times per year.  I continued to play those until 2012 when I discovered the ping s56 -- another player's club that I should have never picked up.  Since 1987, I played only 10-15 times per year until December when I joined a club and started playing 54 holes per week and hitting balls for 2-3 hours per week.

When I read this thread, I realized that I have never been happy with the s56s, even now that my ball striking is back where it was in HS.  Only because of this thread, I ditched my s56s and went out yesterday with the Eye 2s.  It was like seeing your high school girlfriend again after 35 years, but she had not aged a day.  The first shot I hit on the range yesterday with my beloved 8 iron was a solid strike on the center of the club, penetrating trajectory, right at the flag.  Yes, 10 yards short of my s56, but that's the marketing clowns strengthening lofts and has nothing to do with club performance.  It does not make me less of a man to hit my 8 iron 155 vs 165.

I walked out on the first tee with a new found confidence.  I was not at all shaken by my playing partners' mocking (jealousy) when they saw my eye 2s in the bag.  At my club I hit about 10-12 shots per round with clubs other than Driver/3W, Wedges, putter, so I figured, what difference is this going to really make one way or the other.  However, the additional confidence I had on the long par 3s and the tight dogleg par 4s was unbelievable.  I'm down to a 2.4 index (from an 8 in December), but my low round since coming back was a 72.  Yesterday, I made 6 birdies and posted a 4-under 68 for the first time since 1993.  3 of those birdies were a direct result of shots hit with the eye 2s that I can pretty well guarantee would have been pars or worse with the s56s based on recent experience.  To be able to hit a 3 iron with a slight draw 220 on the tightest hole on the course made all the difference.  Just last week I went into that 15th hole 3 under, hooked my hybrid into the trees, and took double there on my way to a 74.  Confidence completely shattered by one bad shot.  Yes, my mental game is still fragile 9 months into my return to golf.  Yesterday, after splitting the 20 yard wide fairway with a 3 iron, I knocked my second shot to 9 feet and rammed in a putt for birdie which got me to 4 under.

I have a couple of points here, and if anyone has stuck with me this long, thank you for listening to me drone on about my meaningless golf career.  

Point 1.  Golf club marketing when it comes to irons is at best greatly overstated.  Are there irons that would fit my swing better that I would like the feel of slightly better than the eye 2s?  I'm sure.  Is it worth the time, money and hassle for me to go find them?  I doubt it.  Would I play them as well as the clubs that I remember from 35 years ago which I am in love with?  Almost certainly not.  Golf is largely a mental game.

Point 2.  Ping Eye 2s are truly the best clubs ever made.  Whether there are better irons out there today is irrelevant.  These are the irons that changed the game.  It is cool that I was there at the forefront, and I plan to play these sticks until the end of my days.   Drivers, wedges, and putters will come and go, but the Eye 2s will remain.  If I manage to wear the grooves out, I will replace them with more Eye 2s and mount my original 8 iron in the basement as he is my trusted friend. 

Now, when it comes to drivers, it will be a cold day in hell before I swap my Ping G for a Tour Burner 10.5 degree with a dynamic gold S300 shaft.  Though in the day, I did love that club nearly as much as my eye 2s.

Thanks to the OP for many laughs as I read through this thread and for opening my eyes to a poorly made decision born from excess testosterone 20 years ago.  I look forward to breaking through the 0 barrier over the next few months......Eye 2s in hand.  And if the mockery at my club continues, then I see that only as upside.

• Like 1

I learned to play in the Michigan winter on a set of MacGregor Ben Hogans, when hit badly they stung like hell in the cold,moved on to Spaulding Eagle cavity backs, they really played well,gave them to my son when he started playing,my son lost the 7 iron and they needed new shafts & grips, so after a twenty year hiatus from golf I bought a set of eye2 s last year, other than being lofted one club weaker than my sons new clubs (which isn't necessarily a bad thing) they are hard to beat.With that being said I wanted to groove my swing, bought a pair of like new 72 Wilson Staff button backs for practice and fell in love , when hit well nothing feels better than a forged muscle back, I'll keep the Pings for back up or loaners, great irons, they were the best selling irons for a reason they work

Edited by bad back
spelling

• 1 year later...
2 minutes ago, famousdavis said:

Just an update.  I'm still playing Ping Eye 2 irons.  

I’m combing Ebay to find a set. Left handed so less options. I’d love to hit them again.

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

First set of quality clubs I had were Ping eye 2's. I now play the Ping G. I'm good with the ping brand irons. Not as big a fan of the woods.

My bag:

Taylor Made R7 (x-stiff).
Taylor Made Burner 2 irons (stiff)
Cleveland Wedges (gap and 60)
Odyssey two ball putter (white) 

1 hour ago, Bucki1968 said:

First set of quality clubs I had were Ping eye 2's. I now play the Ping G. I'm good with the ping brand irons. Not as big a fan of the woods.

The Ping G is an abomination compared to the Ping Eye 2 irons.  Nobody hits their irons better than me at my club.  I've won the club championship 3 times and I have the coveted "Club Champ" sign in front of my reserved parking spot.  Sometimes when I go to the range people stop to watch.  They see the Ping Eye 2 irons in my bag and they say "wow, Champ, you've been playing these irons since you were a kid".  This kind of attention bothers me but it's just part of the deal when you keep winning club tournaments. 

19 minutes ago, famousdavis said:

The Ping G is an abomination compared to the Ping Eye 2 irons.  Nobody hits their irons better than me at my club.  I've won the club championship 3 times and I have the coveted "Club Champ" sign in front of my reserved parking spot.  Sometimes when I go to the range people stop to watch.  They see the Ping Eye 2 irons in my bag and they say "wow, Champ, you've been playing these irons since you were a kid".  This kind of attention bothers me but it's just part of the deal when you keep winning club tournaments. 

I feel your pain. I often have crowds gather just to watch me stretch out before a practice session. It’s embarrassing because in spite of my greatness I am an extremely modest guy.

I think the sound of the cameras clicking would bother me if not for my super-human ability to focus.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Jon

4 minutes ago, JonMA1 said:

I feel your pain. I often have crowds gather just to watch me stretch out before a practice session. It’s embarrassing because in spite of my greatness I am an extremely modest guy.

I think the sound of the cameras clicking would bother me if not for my super-human ability to focus.

I'm not sure if I believe you.  The only person people watch at my club is me.  I've won the club championship 3 times with my trusty Ping Eye 2 + (no plus) irons. It's the greatest iron ever played.  Heck, there must be 30 other people at my private country club who own a set of Ping Eye 2 irons after seeing them in my bag.  What I never tell them is that they've got the wrong set!  You need the Ping Eye 2+ (no Plus).  The regular Ping Eye 2 is great but not quite as good.  

I'd try to explain further but I don't think most of you would understand. 

Note: This thread is 1301 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!