Jump to content
famousdavis

PING Eye 2s Are the Best Irons Ever Created

291 posts / 181487 viewsLast Reply

Recommended Posts

12 minutes ago, JonMA1 said:

I feel your pain. I often have crowds gather just to watch me stretch out before a practice session. It’s embarrassing because in spite of my greatness I am an extremely modest guy.

I think the sound of the cameras clicking would bother me if not for my super-human ability to focus.

🤣

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 hour ago, famousdavis said:

The Ping G is an abomination compared to the Ping Eye 2 irons.  Nobody hits their irons better than me at my club.  I've won the club championship 3 times and I have the coveted "Club Champ" sign in front of my reserved parking spot.  Sometimes when I go to the range people stop to watch.  They see the Ping Eye 2 irons in my bag and they say "wow, Champ, you've been playing these irons since you were a kid".  This kind of attention bothers me but it's just part of the deal when you keep winning club tournaments. 

OMG 

Screen Shot 2018-09-25 at 11.02.32 AM.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 hour ago, famousdavis said:

The Ping G is an abomination compared to the Ping Eye 2 irons.  Nobody hits their irons better than me at my club.  I've won the club championship 3 times and I have the coveted "Club Champ" sign in front of my reserved parking spot.  Sometimes when I go to the range people stop to watch.  They see the Ping Eye 2 irons in my bag and they say "wow, Champ, you've been playing these irons since you were a kid".  This kind of attention bothers me but it's just part of the deal when you keep winning club tournaments. 

Jeeze...I gotta join your club. I keep getting beat by the college kids. They don't play Eye 2's though. Thank god or I would never get to the 11 hole in the match play.😒

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

@famousdavis  Do you play the BeCu ones or steel + no +'s?

I have some Pings in my club collection.  Curious what you think of the ISI BeNi and IsI BeCu irons?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 hour ago, Vinny Cap said:

@famousdavis  Do you play the BeCu ones or steel + no +'s?

I have some Pings in my club collection.  Curious what you think of the ISI BeNi and IsI BeCu irons?

I found the ISI series of irons to be very disappointing.  I owned a set of the BeCu for about a month.  Horrible looking iron at address.  Not comparable to the Ping Eye 2.  Last year I beat William Tornquist in the final round of match play at my private club.  Willy is a bit stout and I think the 36 holes was too much for him.  I beat him with 4 to play.  That was indeed a great championship.  People at the club just refer to me as Champ. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, famousdavis said:

I found the ISI series of irons to be very disappointing.  I owned a set of the BeCu for about a month.  Horrible looking iron at address.  Not comparable to the Ping Eye 2.  Last year I beat William Tornquist in the final round of match play at my private club.  Willy is a bit stout and I think the 36 holes was too much for him.  I beat him with 4 to play.  That was indeed a great championship.  People at the club just refer to me as Champ. 

I actually like to play the ISI BeNi ones better than the ISI BeCu and even Eye2 BeCu's..  They have a sweet feel to them.  I think the nickle is a bit softer than the copper.  Not the prettiest to look at but then again, Ping doesn't make a pretty club.  If you want a pretty club to look at check out the ones below.

The feel of them made me look for better and I found Miura and Mizuno.  I play MC102's and MP67's respectively.  If you like the Eye2 's you would love either of them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

8 minutes ago, Vinny Cap said:

I actually like to play the ISI BeNi ones better than the ISI BeCu and even Eye2 BeCu's..  They have a sweet feel to them.  I think the nickle is a bit softer than the copper.  Not the prettiest to look at but then again, Ping doesn't make a pretty club.  If you want a pretty club to look at check out the ones below.

The feel of them made me look for better and I found Miura and Mizuno.  I play MC102's and MP67's respectively.  If you like the Eye2 's you would love either of them.

I've always been a great ball striker.  I've tried the MP-67 irons and I thought they felt very nice.  I was a bit disappointed in that the seemed to be half a club short.  I need my irons to go exact distances.  With the Ping Eye 2s I know exactly how far every iron will travel.  Another fantastic iron is the original Wilson FG-17 blade.  Best feeling iron I've ever tried, with the exception of the Ping Eye 2.  

Just came from the club where I had a BLT, coke and fries.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I used to want a set of eyey 2s until I owned a set, nice forged blades are hard to beat.

50s Macgregor Hogan bantams

60s or early 70s pre VIPs Macgregor forged Nicolas

Spalding Eagle cavity backs

72 Wilson staff Button backs

78ish Hogan Apex white cameos

90s Wilson Staff button Back reissue, never ever hit

Edited by bad back

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, famousdavis said:

 I've tried the MP-67 irons and I thought they felt very nice.  I was a bit disappointed in that the seemed to be half a club short.  I need my irons to go exact distances.  With the Ping Eye 2s I know exactly how far every iron will travel. 

I found the ISI to go further than the Eye2's and the MP67 much further with better control and dispersion.  The MP67's and Eye2 are pretty much the same numbers down all the irons for loft.

Now throw in the Miuria's and they win hands down and are my regular gamer's.

19 minutes ago, bad back said:

I used to want a set of eyey 2s until I owned a set, nice forged blades are hard to beat.

50s Macgregor Hogan bantams

60s or early 70s pre VIPs Macgregor forged Nicolas

Spalding Eagle cavity backs

72 Wilson staff Button backs

78ish Hogan Apex white cameos

90s Wilson button Back reissue, never ever hit

Nice list of classic sweet stick.

Would the Wilson dyna powered be in/on/close to this list?

I got the whole set in a bag from my dad from way back. 2i looks like a postage stamp!

Your AV looks just like a buddy of mine named Johnny! WOW

Edited by Vinny Cap

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

31 minutes ago, billchao said:

Damn, I gotta get myself a set of Eye 2s. Haven't been called Champ since I was 5.

No, but you probably had a sandwich, coke and fries, right? That's as close as I'll ever want to get.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

2 hours ago, Vinny Cap said:

Nice list of classic sweet stick.

Would the Wilson dyna powered be in/on/close to this list?

I got the whole set in a bag from my dad from way back. 2i looks like a postage stamp!

Your AV looks just like a buddy of mine named Johnny! WOW

Hell ya play em, I don't know Johnny Wow 🙂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hopefully, everyone will be ok with an off-topic post...

On 8/23/2017 at 2:58 AM, bad back said:

I learned to play in the Michigan winter on a set of MacGregor Ben Hogans, when hit badly they stung like hell in the cold

Where in Michigan @bad back?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

9 minutes ago, JonMA1 said:

Hopefully, everyone will be ok with an off-topic post...

Where in Michigan @bad back?

Dearborn Hills back in the mid eighties, when it was a privately owned par four,during a nice mild almost snow-less winter, played all winter for free, had the course all to ourselves ( except for the occasional dog walker),but there were no flags and I hit a bunch of bad shots 🙂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

42 minutes ago, bad back said:

Dearborn Hills back in the mid eighties, when it was a privately owned par four,during a nice mild almost snow-less winter, played all winter for free, had the course all to ourselves ( except for the occasional dog walker),but there were no flags and I hit a bunch of bad shots 🙂

Ok. My sons live down close to Dearborn - one is in Canton the other in Westland. I'm up in the Traverse City area. Unfortunately, we rarely get mild enough winters to play between November and April.

However, my home course is also a ski resort and there have been years when the hills had snow while the course didn't (no flags as well). So the entire resort would be full of skiers and snowboarders and I'd be heading out to the course with my clubs and push cart.

So yeah, people might stop and watch me... but it was more like "WTF is that crazy bastard doing?".

Back on topic, I have an old set of Hogan Radials I'll often hit in the winter. Much as you described in a previous post, they're not bad until I hit an off-center shot.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

15 minutes ago, JonMA1 said:

My sons live down close to Dearborn

I lived there about six years ago. Sorry...OT..just mentioning.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 minute ago, Vinsk said:

I lived there about six years ago. Sorry...OT..just mentioning.

Yep. And we (my family) all lived 100 miles S.W. of where you now live when we were in St. Pete. Funny where life takes us.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

On 6/22/2011 at 4:25 PM, GolfBear said:

This might be a bit of a newsflash for some but the golf ball has no idea what iron it's being hit with.   A golf ball doesn't care if it's being struck with vintage Pings or 2011 forged Mizzy's.   A ball can only react to the physics applied to it.

 

If you think your course are somehow special and only certain brands of irons will work you need to rethink your position.   People buy new clubs because it feeds their ego.   A square faced Eye 2 moving at 100mph will produce a pretty solid ball flight regardless of what the ad agencies have implanted in your head.   Some of the best forged irons of today are not radically different from their counterparts of 50 years ago.

 

Case in point:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ6ay1-JLpTz0gX8niAZ48PtJwo0OrGdmm96N7200NbqvnENlKz

The best forged offerings are basically copies of vintage American musscleback blades, lofted one club stronger for the ego, thus the need for the "GAP Wedge"image.png.6a77f1649d20ef8b29a83fa3345886d5.pngimage.png.e7e2a8533d16d128c8fe0ced910f5e0e.pngimage.png.cb6d50fd001e10530d4d8a57909fef55.png

image.png.0cdd49c1529f638e5f8655b79a591675.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




  • Want to join this community?

    We'd love to have you!

    Sign Up
  • Support TST Affiliates

    SuperSpeed
    TourStriker PlaneMate
    Golfer's Journal
    Whoop
    FlightScope Mevo
    Use the code "iacas" for 10% off Mevo
  • Popular Now

  • Posts

    • Why? I haven’t been to Walmart without a mask since ... April?   More importantly, I hope your friend recovers soon.
    • @Esox, the ball could never be “declared” lost. It could be “deemed” lost, but that was a “rules” thing - a player’s actions could result in this “deeming” but a player couldn’t say, for example, “I deem it lost.” Also, a ball can’t be “lost” in the Rules in a penalty area (or a water hazard), even if it’s a “lost” ball in English. This is the Rules of Golf forum, so the words we use are going to have the meanings and definitions and usages that apply in the Rules of Golf. @Red, you replied, but you just quoted my post and didn’t say anything new.
    • Trying to keep solid contact. Sequence just feels weird.  I've been working on hitting a lot of punch shots. Also trying to slow down on full swings but that seems to make things worse lol. I’m not sure why my shots are off the toe. 
    • I'm old. We considered the act of dropping a ball a declaration that the original was lost and the dropped ball was in play. If you didn't think it was lost, why drop another?  
    • You can’t “declare” a ball lost.
  • Today's Birthdays

    1. Augie
      Augie
      (62 years old)
    2. Dukes1304
      Dukes1304
      (35 years old)
    3. Mmgolfwiz
      Mmgolfwiz
      (57 years old)

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Welcome to TST! Signing up is free, and you'll see fewer ads and can talk with fellow golf enthusiasts! By using TST, you agree to our Terms of Use, our Privacy Policy, and our Guidelines.

The popup will be closed in 10 seconds...