IGNORED

What happened to etiquette in golf?

Kujo
Note: This thread is 4623 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I remember reading one blog where the person suggested fixing 5 ball marks on every green you go to. 5 could be a bit much for time constraints, but the idea is a pretty good one.

While you wait for others to putt and after you've done your green reading, go do some cleanup on the greens... people will appreciate it.

taylormade.gif R9 460 9.5* Stiff
cobra.gif Baffler 2h
 JPX 800 Pro 4-PW  *New! eBay gamble paid off!*
cleveland.gif CG14 52* /  MP T-10 56* /  callaway.gif Vintage Tour X Wedge 60*

taylormade.gif Spider Ghost /  Z Star Yellow

I played as a single on Monday and fixed 2 or 3 marks on every green except the ones I had a group let me play through. I'm amazed at how many players either don't know about or don't carry a tool to fix greens. I lost a few divot repair tools over the years so I put one on my key chain about 20 years ago and have been using the same one ever since. Some people don't like to play with keys in their pockets but there must be someway they can insure they have a tool most every round?

Originally Posted by Fourputt

Huh????  There is nothing wrong with asking to play through if you are being held up and there is open space in front of the group ahead of you.  Not everyone understands that when there is room ahead, a faster group should be allowed through, and they will never learn if someone doesn't step up and make a point of asking them.  Then too, some players are just clueless and don't care... they need to be educated too.

Bottom line - ask away, but do it in a nice way and most players will have no problem with it.

I had the opposite situation come up a week or so ago..  I was in a foursome and there was a fivesome ahead of us and a foursome ahead of them.  We came up to the tee and the fivesome asked if we wanted to lay through, that they knew that they weren't "supposed" to play as a fivesome but that they were a 2-some and a 3-some that had just joined up because of the pace of play.  We saw that they were keeping up with the foursome ahead of them, so we declined their offer because there was no place for us to go anyway.

When I go out as a single I like being behind a reasonable 2-some because it keeps me from rushing and getting out of rhythm.  And if things slow up ahead of them I generally have the option of joining them.

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

well...when players hit the green...and leave a mark...and dont fix that mark...it starts to ruin the green. its this really really complex theory that they only talk about in sophisticated inner circles called:

Leave it in better condition than you found it

quiet about it though....cant have everyone knowing the secret

Originally Posted by trackster

I don't see ball marks as being that big of a deal.  If one is in your putting line then go and fix it.  If it is not then I don't see a point in fixing 5 on every green.

I played as a single today on a nice course that was not crowded at all. I started noticing un-repaired ball marks right away. After 6 holes I caught up to 2 nubs that were in need of some lessons on golf etiquette. I made sure I repaired all the marks I noticed. I figured I could get ahead of them at the turn, but they never slowed down.They never did let me play through. Funny thing is, I think the slow play forced me to slow my usual fast pace down to where it actually helped me!  Played pretty decent!

Perhaps the lack of etiquette on the golf course is just a microcosm of our culture.  One writer (can't remember his name) spoke about this as the "coarsening of culture" as most people under the age of 50 can't remember what it was like to have excellent customer service from all the people who worked for a business - as a "customer service" department didn't exist.

And, I confess I wouldn't be so bothered by rudeness, except that the overwhelming majority of it is the direct result of ignorance - being clueless. See Jay Leno's "Jaywalking" clips to see this point so wonderfully illustrated.

I think the courses could be more helpful by politley posting instructions for novices, having rangers on the course who do something other than look for lost balls in the woods and hazards, and giving us old-timers permission to whack a few of the morons with our fiberglass practice sticks

Titleist 910D2 10.5* Stiff / Taylormade 3 Wood - Superfast 2.0 15*  3 Superfast 2.0 Rescue 18* Stiff Shafts

Originally Posted by MackJL06

well...when players hit the green...and leave a mark...and dont fix that mark...it starts to ruin the green. its this really really complex theory that they only talk about in sophisticated inner circles called:

Leave it in better condition than you found it

quiet about it though....cant have everyone knowing the secret

I'll disagree with that.  The greens at my local course have been in pretty rough shape at times.  They have great techniques to fix greens.  I have no idea what they do but I'll come back later and it looks brand new.  If a ball mark is in your way fix it.  If it is your ball mark fix it.  No need to search the green for unrepaired marks.

well for starters...they fix the ball marks. you should at minimum fix your own ball mark...whether it is in your putting line or not...dont leave something in worse shape for the group behind you

I'll disagree with that.  The greens at my local course have been in pretty rough shape at times.  They have great techniques to fix greens.  I have no idea what they do but I'll come back later and it looks brand new.  If a ball mark is in your way fix it.  If it is your ball mark fix it.  No need to search the green for unrepaired marks.

You don't have to repair that many ball marks if you hardly ever make your ball thump down on the green from the air .

Hyper X 10º driver Diablo Edge 9.5º backup driver

Burner Rescue 3 hybrid 4-A irons 56º wedge 60º wedge CRAZ-E putter

I don't see ball marks as being that big of a deal.  If one is in your putting line then go and fix it.  If it is not then I don't see a point in fixing 5 on every green.

If a ball mark isn't fixed then the grass dies and the green becomes crappy.  It isn't just about the upcoming shot, it is about preserving and promoting the condition of the course.  That said, I don't hunt out x number of ball marks made by other people, but if I see one I fix it, and I see one or two on just about every green.

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I just wish the people who did fix ball marks fixed them the right way...it'd be a lot better for the green.

My philosophy on golf "We're not doing rocket science, here."

Originally Posted by MackJL06

well...when players hit the green...and leave a mark...and don't fix that mark...it starts to ruin the green.

I'll disagree with that.

Sigh. Trackster, I'm sure you're an ok guy in real life, and that we'd get along great in person over a couple of beers... But man, the lack of critical thinking evidenced in your posts over several threads on this board, and your complete inability to listen to reason, is really astounding.

Unrepaired marks leave dead spots on greens. That's a fact, not an opinion.

Bill

The basic concept of leave the course with it in better shape than what you played.  Repair ball marks, empty the divot mix, drive your cart in areas that won't cause damage.  If everyone does something little, everyone will have a better place to play.

Ball marks not a big deal? They kill the green

Originally Posted by deasy55

Ball marks not a big deal? They kill the green

Yeah, seems like a simple concept to grasp, no? Now I know what Judge Smails meant in Caddyshack when he said "some people just don't belong" Seriously, if you don't understand why fixing ball marks on the green is important, then you have no business being on the golf course. Go play croquet instead.

My Tools of Ignorance:

Driver: Ping I20 9.5*
Woods/Hybrids: Cobra AMP 3W and 3 HY

Irons: Cobra AMP 4-GW

Wedges: Callaway Forged Copper 56* and 60*

Putters: Scotty Cameron  35" (Several of the flow neck blade variety)

Ball: Bridgestone B330-RX and Srixon Z-Star

Bag: Nike Performance Carry

If a ball mark is in your way fix it.  If it is your ball mark fix it.  No need to search the green for unrepaired marks.

I don't think anyone is suggesting you scour the green for ballmarks. If you have time and you see some ball marks it's nice if you go a little out your way to fix them (or some). Some courses I go to I may only find one or two during my round while other courses I could easily fix 5 per hole. You don't have to make it a mission or anything. It's just a courtesy to yourself and other players.

Note: This thread is 4623 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!