IGNORED

My Swing (Ernest Jones)

Ernest Jones
Note: This thread is 2917 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

You're probably right, but that is a LOOONG time to go without my obsession!

How's your pitching technique?

• Upvote 1

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

How's your pitching technique?

Fair point and good idea. I can just pitch and putt for a few weeks. Maybe a little chipping if I'm feeling "old fashioned" ;-)

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

You're probably right, but that is a LOOONG time to go without my obsession!

Hey, if you are having fun with it, keep at it!

Nate

:pxg:(10.5) :benhogan:(4W):titleist:U500(3UI) :benhogan: Icon(4-PW) :edel:(52/58)

:odyssey:Putter :snell: MTB Black  

Fair point and good idea. I can just pitch and putt for a few weeks. Maybe a little chipping if I'm feeling "old fashioned" ;-)

What's a chip? ;-) But seriously, I posted some pitch shots on my swing thread and I got some really good feedback from Mike and Erik. I find it's good sometimes to switch focus every once in a while, especially if you're stuck on something. Helps keep you from getting too frustrated and your mind a little sharper.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

What's a chip?

But seriously, I posted some pitch shots on my swing thread and I got some really good feedback from Mike and Erik. I find it's good sometimes to switch focus every once in a while, especially if you're stuck on something. Helps keep you from getting too frustrated and your mind a little sharper.

I was thinking that a "chip" in no longer a good term in the modern game.

When i think "chip" I visualize Seve. Now a days there are so many versions of 'chip" that we should call it a bump , tap , lob, flop, old fashion chip. etc

maybe we should retire the term pitch too, as there's like draw pitch or  fade pitch that is totally different in feel .

Take two weeks off and then quit. :smartass:

OK, fine... some actual advice. Put it this way... the stuff you'll learn in person from these guys is almost impossible to learn through evolvr alone. Just stay positive. Good days are on the horizon.

As far as what you're going through right now... you're just in a rut. It happens. A bit of evolvr tunnel vision perhaps. Trust me, you'll be in a completely different place after the clinic, and evolvr will be reborn.

For right now though, I'd just sort of step back and enjoy the absurdity of it all, and just try to stay positive about the work you're doing. It's not an overnight thing obviously. It's a lifetime thing. Good range work is often really, really boring shit, man. You're kinda all cooped up there in the great white north, and you probably just need to let loose and play 18 without any swing thoughts to reset everything. It's pretty standard.

I'm not worried about you :-D

Constantine

Take two weeks off and then quit.

OK, fine... some actual advice. Put it this way... the stuff you'll learn in person from these guys is almost impossible to learn through evolvr alone. Just stay positive. Good days are on the horizon.

As far as what you're going through right now... you're just in a rut. It happens. A bit of evolvr tunnel vision perhaps. Trust me, you'll be in a completely different place after the clinic, and evolvr will be reborn.

For right now though, I'd just sort of step back and enjoy the absurdity of it all, and just try to stay positive about the work you're doing. It's not an overnight thing obviously. It's a lifetime thing. Good range work is often really, really boring shit, man. You're kinda all cooped up there in the great white north, and you probably just need to let loose and play 18 without any swing thoughts to reset everything. It's pretty standard.

I'm not worried about you

Yeah I hear ya. When in doubt I revert back to my square one feels, bank through impact and try to stay inside the wall I trace with my backswing. God, I need you to make the snow to go away...

Thanks for the pep talk.

Yours in earnest, Jason.

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

It's a process. #nosmilies/emoticons

I saw a twitter update from Ernest saying he just figured it out.

Edit: Okay now he just tweeted that he lost it again.  Oh well.

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

I saw a twitter update from Ernest saying he just figured it out.

Edit: Okay now he just tweeted that he lost it again.  Oh well.

Funny thing thing is, I knew when I made that tweet I was asking for trouble, I said to myself, "Damnit EJ, you know what this is! This is a God Damn "I figured it out!!!" post, those never end well…" LOL. Couldn't help it, I said "**** it" and hit submit anyway. The golf goods lasted for a full week before the sky came crashing down again though so it was instant retribution! :-P

Yours in earnest, Jason.

Funny thing thing is, I knew when I made that tweet I was asking for trouble, I said to myself, "Damnit EJ, you know what this is! This is a God Damn "I figured it out!!!" post, those never end well…" LOL. Couldn't help it, I said "**** it" and hit submit anyway. The golf goods lasted for a full week before the sky came crashing down again though so it was instant retribution!

:-)

At least you're workin on it, buddy.  I can't get myself to the range lately.  Alas, sometimes when I feel myself entering a rut, it does do some good to get away from swinging for a few days.  I don't know whether that's more or less true when you have a educational session coming up, but sometimes it allows me to stop over-thinking things and getting too mechanical at the range.

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

At least you're workin on it, buddy.  I can't get myself to the range lately.  Alas, sometimes when I feel myself entering a rut, it does do some good to get away from swinging for a few days.  I don't know whether that's more or less true when you have a educational session coming up, but sometimes it allows me to stop over-thinking things and getting too mechanical at the range.

God I need the range. I've been sneaking to golfsmith to hit clubs once a week the past few weeks. I've gotten too too desperate. :~(

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

God I need the range. I've been sneaking to golfsmith to hit clubs once a week the past few weeks. I've gotten too too desperate. :~(

Ha! I've done the same before. It's good to have three Golfsmiths within driving distance. They don't catch on. :-D

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Not sure if I'm going about this the right way. Shoulders still seem a little tippy for my tastes. Very hard to shallow out without getting that tippy look.

I am going from steep to shallow here but pretty sure I'm "cheating" again...

Overlapped

Wrist seems pretty good at this point, at least to my under-educated eye

March 15th can't come fast enough.

Yours in earnest, Jason.

Not sure if I'm going about this the right way. Shoulders still seem a little tippy for my tastes. Very hard to shallow out without getting that tippy look.

March 15th can't come fast enough.

Amen to that!!! :beer:

I had mixed feelings about my own swing video the other day. On one hand I liked that I am now from the inside, on the bad side I hate my back swing.

Yea I always found dropping my head away from the target is an easy cheat to try to shallow out the downswing. Its also a cheat to try to get the club inside as well.

Pause it at impact. Notice how square your hips are. You are just banking and shifting weight. Getting a bit of extension and pointing that BATMAN belt buckle to the sky would help shallow things out as well.

Keep at it.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:

I would be interested in knowing what Ernie's swing thought is at takeaway....aside from telling me to eff off.

"There is no reason to listen to me. I am merely voicing my opinion on certain aspects of golf mechanics that I have experimented with along with others I have read about and watched." - freedrop, on himself [Source]

User was banned February 22, 2014 for multiple violations.

I would be interested in knowing what Ernie's swing thought is at takeaway....aside from telling me to eff off.

Alright, I'll play :-D It's difficult to answer this question with any kind of definitive reply. I am trying to change something so there's a lot of experimentation going on with backswing feels as I try to find something that gets me steeper without sacrificing too much depth AND puts me in a comfortable position at A4 where I feel I can make the proper moves in transition.

In this particular practice session I was "feeling" as if I was keeping the club face looking at the ball on the way back, it seems to help a tad with getting a more upright backswing although I also tend to be a little too closed (club face) with this feel.

PS: I never told you to eff off, I told you about my horrible facial wounds and how they made me uncomfortable with posting FO videos. I did, admittedly, call you obtuse (or was it daft?) based on your previous posts but , hey, even you gotta admit that your arguments in the pitching thread were pretty ridiculous, I mean seriously, we posted pictures and you still didn't get it, maybe you were closing your eyes? :-P

In any case, if you have something useful to post in this thread, I'm all ears, but if it's just more McTips they better come with fries and a drink.

Yours in earnest, Jason.

Alright, I'll play It's difficult to answer this question with any kind of definitive reply. I am trying to change something so there's a lot of experimentation going on with backswing feels as I try to find something that gets me steeper without sacrificing too much depth AND puts me in a comfortable position at A4 where I feel I can make the proper moves in transition.

In this particular practice session I was "feeling" as if I was keeping the club face looking at the ball on the way back, it seems to help a tad with getting a more upright backswing although I also tend to be a little too closed (club face) with this feel.

You and I got the similar feel going on. I can't work with any sort of wrist hinge at all. Its horrible, I rather slam my head into a wall then try to hinge earlier. Though I do find that if I set my wrist slightly before taking the club back, and trying to hold that angle in my wrist longer (delaying the forearm rotation), that seems to work more for me. If you see Matt Kutchar swing you will notice he does something similar, were he will fall back to his heels, but also slightly lift the club vertical before taking it back. I tried that Kutchar thing the first time and was like, "Ok slightly less annoying than the hinge the wrist during the backswing, but still feels wierd". Then I looked on video and saw, "

It iss tough to get the whole, the hands don't create depth, rotation does.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

Note: This thread is 2917 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!