IGNORED

Hank Haney's Book "The Big Miss" about his time teaching Tiger

mvmac
Note: This thread is 3916 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Interesting bit in there - Haney commented on Woods' practice dedication. Wonder what that is about. Must.. resist... reading trashy tell all, well, tell some of it, not all.

Originally Posted by jamo

The NY Times got ahold of an unauthorized copy of the book (according to Haney's Twitter), and released some more excerpts this morning: http://www.nytimes.com/2012/03/17/sports/golf/woodss-distractions-detailed-by-his-ex-coach.html?_r=1&ref;=todayspaper

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I fugured there was no way Haney would get big bucks for a book strictly about his golf experience with Tiger despite his claims.  It's a tell all he knew book with a enough golf included to make it seem legitimate.  I'm sure Stevie has been offered big bucks for a book too, but he'll have to wait until he's done carrying Adam Scotts clubs as I can't imagine Scott would allow him to write such a book while they are on Tour together.

Joe Paradiso

• Administrator

Originally Posted by newtogolf

I fugured there was no way Haney would get big bucks for a book strictly about his golf experience with Tiger despite his claims.  It's a tell all he knew book with a enough golf included to make it seem legitimate.  I'm sure Stevie has been offered big bucks for a book too, but he'll have to wait until he's done carrying Adam Scotts clubs as I can't imagine Scott would allow him to write such a book while they are on Tour together.

Stevie may have an NDA, too. Who knows?

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

All I will say is that Haney is a lucky guy...

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

I fugured there was no way Haney would get big bucks for a book strictly about his golf experience with Tiger despite his claims.  It's a tell all he knew book with a enough golf included to make it seem legitimate.

Yeah, I thought it was wrong of Haney to exploit his relationship with Tiger, but I didn't dream he was this much of a weasel. It seems like he went out of his way to publish every negative thing he could say or think about Tiger. And sabotaging his relationships with his fellow players is really beyond the pale. And it's not just "tell all he knew," it's "tell all he suspected." The NYT quotes him as writing, "I have no doubt Tiger felt racial vibes in what he read and heard on and off the course, especially when he was matched up against Phil." But he doesn't claim Tiger said so, he just somehow knows. And then he looks all innocent and says, "Hey, I said he's a great golfer, so what's the problem?" So, using my Haney-like mental powers, I have no doubt that it was Haney who insisted the book be published the week before the Masters. Maximum money for Haney, maximum disruption and distraction for Tiger. Haney wants to make sure that Tiger won more majors with him than he will with Foley. But I think he's a good swing coach, so what's the problem?

Haney is a reality television star now, not a swing coach so I guess it doesn't matter what Tiger or other pro's think of him.  As long as he can attract celebrities with poor golf games onto his GC show it's all good for Hank.  I wouldn't have cared if it kept it 100% golf, as that might have been an interesting read, but this is TMZ material so I have zero interest in his book now.

Joe Paradiso

I actually never had an opinion of Haney before some of the excerpts of the Big Miss started to be released. But after reading his excepts, and then reading his tweets on Twitter makes me think the guy is trying to exploit the past ties with Tiger for as many benji's as he can grab. It's apparent in reading his responses to the criticism that HH has no integrity.

Originally Posted by newtogolf

Haney is a reality television star now, not a swing coach so I guess it doesn't matter what Tiger or other pro's think of him.  As long as he can attract celebrities with poor golf games onto his GC show it's all good for Hank.  I wouldn't have cared if it kept it 100% golf, as that might have been an interesting read, but this is TMZ material so I have zero interest in his book now.

^ Agree 100%.  Couldn't care less.

[b]My Bag[/b] 1 Burgeoning mental game

What actually is "the big miss"? I'm struggling to understand the title of the book. Whose miss? Haney's? Tigers? And what did they miss?

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

The latest excerpt, where Tiger told Elin to stop smiling on TV when he wins because he expects to win.. Wow. I want to believe that's not true but sadly I'm not surprised at all if it is based on his other actions. In fact it sounds EXACTLY like something he would do. I guess this really is just one A-hole writing a book about another. Guess I'll try to back to paying attention to Tiger the golfer and not Tiger the person, but it's harder to do than it used to be.

The latest excerpt, where Tiger told Elin to stop smiling on TV when he wins because he expects to win.. Wow. I want to believe that's not true but sadly I'm not surprised at all if it is based on his other actions. In fact it sounds EXACTLY like something he would do.

LOL, it took you two seconds to go from not wanting to believe it, to saying it's EXACTLY what he would do. But I don't know where you got it. The [url=http://www.nytimes.com/2012/03/17/sports/golf/woodss-distractions-detailed-by-his-ex-coach.html?_r=2&scp;=1&sq;=tiger&st;=cse]excerpt[/url] about Elin says that Tiger told her not to throw a party for a win, not never to smile. Not really a subtle difference. And anybody who watched golf while they were married saw plenty of examples of them both beaming after a win.

• Administrator
LOL, it took you two seconds to go from not wanting to believe it, to saying it's EXACTLY what he would do. But I don't know where you got it. The [url=http://www.nytimes.com/2012/03/17/sports/golf/woodss-distractions-detailed-by-his-ex-coach.html?_r=2&scp;=1&sq;=tiger&st;=cse]excerpt[/url] about Elin says that Tiger told her not to throw a party for a win, not never to smile. Not really a subtle difference. And anybody who watched golf while they were married saw plenty of examples of them both beaming after a win.

Yes. Throwing a party >>>>>>>>>>>> smiling.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Originally Posted by brocks

And anybody who watched golf while they were married saw plenty of examples of them both beaming after a win.

Yep. Not only that, the daughter was also lined up and ready to go like a racehorse Mickelson offspring style, when Amy pushes them out onto the green after a win.
And here's what's wrong with internet forum golf:

People read one post that's incorrect and believe stuff like "Tiger told Elin she wasn't allowed to smile after a win".

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

Originally Posted by Shorty

People read one post that's incorrect and believe stuff like "Tiger told Elin she wasn't allowed to smile after a win".

No one, on this or any other golf forum, would believe that for one second.

"Success is going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm." – Winston Churchill

Originally Posted by Shorty

What actually is "the big miss"?

I'm struggling to understand the title of the book.

Whose miss? Haney's? Tigers? And what did they miss?

Haney missed the attention and money he got from being Tiger's swing coach.

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

Note: This thread is 3916 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!