IGNORED

Good Golf Posture (How to Address the Golf Ball)

mvmac

Thanks i will try that drill.  Ok so i uploaded two screenshots from my swingvideo last night. Is this about right?

To me it feels like im pushing down the shaft to the ground.

And this is i think how i used to stand. With the arms pointing away from me more, and so the club was more on the same line as my arms were(if that makes sense).

Thanks i will try that drill.  Ok so i uploaded two screenshots from my swingvideo last night. Is this about right?

Looks pretty good, just add a little more knee flex.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• 3 weeks later...
  • Administrator

• Upvote 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

• 2 months later...
Does club length have anything to do with posture? If say a club is a 1/2" over length or under length. Would that affect how much you bend or straighten up? Do you just adapt rightly or wrongly to club length?

Does club length have anything to do with posture?If say a club is a 1/2" over length or under length. Would that affect how much you bend or straighten up? Do you just adapt rightly or wrongly to club length?

It won't affect it that much, just think about how your posture changes from swinging a driver versus swinging a wedge.

Colin P.

• 3 weeks later...

I wanted to bring this back up for a couple reasons.

I noticed that a fade turned into a slice in my past few rounds and after doing a quick video in my backyard, I found my butt was sticking out further and my back was curved toward the ball.  I am not sure if this is because of my many years as a hockey player and it feels normal or if it is just my natural back comfort.  I noticed I stand and sit like this as well (anterior).

When I play tomorrow I am going to concentrate on a posterior stance and see what I notice.  It feels better with just some practice swings in the backyard and I feel like the swing is more coiled and not as rugged and inconsistent.  I think it also makes key 1 more achievable.

Am I way off here?

When I play tomorrow I am going to concentrate on a posterior stance and see what I notice.  It feels better with just some practice swings in the backyard and I feel like the swing is more coiled and not as rugged and inconsistent.  I think it also makes key 1 more achievable.

Am I way off here?

I would agree it makes Key #1 more achievable, couple reasons,

- It's just easier to pivot and make a more "full" pivot if the lower back is flat-ish/upper back rounded than if you had an S curve in the lower back and a straight upper back.

- Pressure in the feet is more stable, guys that stick their butt out will tend to have the weight in their heels.

- More posterior feel helps get the eyes down

Mike McLoughlin

am i doing it wrong if i feel strain in my lower back?  Great post Mike

I can tell you that I'm feeling less pain and strain since I've been following this.

- Shane

I would agree it makes Key #1 more achievable, couple reasons,

-  It's just easier to pivot and make a more "full" pivot if the lower back is flat-ish/upper back rounded than if you had an S curve in the lower back and a straight upper back.

- Pressure in the feet is more stable, guys that stick their butt out will tend to have the weight in their heels.

- More posterior feel helps get the eyes down

I noticed a big difference in the feel of the swing.  I am getting the feeling of coiling up during my swing.  I also noticed that I am able to keep my eyes down and I am beginning to think of how I am going to hit the ball rather than my swing takeaway but that is for a different thread

The bad thing was I think because of the change, I am not as upright as I should be which is causing me to stand up during the swing.  I am going to practice this evening on posture AND how my back is aligned.

am i doing it wrong if i feel strain in my lower back?

Great post Mike

Yes, probably means the tailbone is sticking out, check out the drills in the first post.

Mike McLoughlin

Disagree but even if that was true what about everyone else?[quote name="DocJLK" url="/t/56069/good-golf-posture/198#post_1018759"]If Snead's pants weren't pulled up so high his lumbar spine wouldn't look so rounded. [/quote]

"The expert golfer has maximum time to make minimal compensations. The poorer player has minimal time to make maximum compensations." - And no, I'm not Mac. Please do not PM me about it. I just think he is a crazy MFer and we could all use a little more crazy sometimes.

It was a joke!

In the future, try adding a Smiley face...that will let us know if your joking, being sarcastic, ect.  BTW, welcome to TST.

• 1 month later...
  • Administrator

http://www.tuaw.com/2014/08/29/swing-better-and-lower-your-scores-with-golfer-setup/

Hmmmmm.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Quote:
Originally Posted by iacas View Post

http://www.tuaw.com/2014/08/29/swing-better-and-lower-your-scores-with-golfer-setup/

Hmmmmm.

Hmmmm is right

Quote:
The side view also discusses the proper positioning of the golf ball in your stance for specific clubs, off your left heel for the driver, in the middle of your stance for most irons, and slightly further back for wedges.

Mike McLoughlin