IGNORED

Cards on the table. How did you really feel on Sunday. Tiger v Rory.

Shorty
Note: This thread is 4430 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. What were your feelings on Sunday at the Honda as it all unfolded?

• I wanted Rory to get the job done and didn't care about anyone else. Would have been upset if he'd crashed.
    • I sort of wanted to see if Rory had it in him to hold up. Really wanted him to EARN it.
    • I was hoping that someone would come out of nowhere and take the prize.
    • Until Tiger put the hammer down I was rooting for Rory, but then changed my allegiance.
    • I wanted Rory to win, but would have been more excited had Tiger won. And felt guilty about it.
    • Was just happy that Tiger might be back. That outweighs any talk of number ones or whatever.
    • Just happy to watch the story unfold. No favourites.
    • Man...I REALLY wanted Tiger to do wreck the party!

Definitely want to see Tiger back on track (what kind of golf fan doesn't??) but, having said that, I was roaring for Rors all the way. It's pretty hard not to pull for a 22 year old (22 YEARS OLD!!!!) on the cusp of being number one in the world. Plus, he has magical looking swing, truely a thing of beauty.

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

It's this easy: watching that kind of finish was awesome for golf.  A 62 from a guy down the leaderboard, by eagling 18 no less, to put a scare into Rory, fantastic.  Rory stumbling on a couple approach shots and hitting some amazing bunker shots/par saving putts, clutch.  If you didn't like that, or you were influenced by WHO it was, then you suck - stop being such a gossipy school girl (or a self-righteous schmuck).

As for "is Tiger back," "will he win again," or "is Rory the new face of golf"....man, are we as a society so desperate for a "story line" that we just can't watch and be entertained?  It's always about something more.  I've lost all patience.  Every f***ing time Hunter Mahan wins (which ain't been a whole lot, let's keep in mind), I hear, "this guy could be a multiple winner, look out, he's peaking now," blah, blah.  We had a thread here dying to crown Keegan Bradley the next great American golfer (I assume Kyle Stanley has jumped into that role?).

In my opinion, and I've stated it elsewhere here, there is one, and only one reason, for rooting for Tiger's "return," and it's the same reason I rooted for him before.  What's hard about golf - and even other-wordly hard at their level - is doing it "again."  Over the years, so many amazing final round duels, or great finishes, etc.., involved Tiger.  The fact that he, by either grinding through a wobbly game, or by just surgically deconstructing a course for 3.5 rounds, is in that Sunday drama so often....and that it usually is along side just "the guy playing well that week," is an additional piece I find riveting and awesome about him.  Moreover, think about it, PFH (pre-fire-hydrant...stolen from Rick Reilly), you can quite literally count on one hand the number of times Tiger, in his career, was completely irrelevant.  If he wasn't hunting for the win, or at least lingering enough to be scary, he was still top 10, top 15.  He was NEVER out of it.

If Rory takes that title from him, I'll find that riveting, too.  Phil, as much as I hate to admit it, has showed much more consistency (I dunno...he's just so....aloof...or spacey....) but across his career, very often goes AWOL from contention.  Will Rory be that 'in it every tournament' guy?  It sure always looks like it when he's on, but he's not established that just yet.  Golf's got a ton of great talent right now, let's just watch, eh?

Nothing in the swing is done at the expense of balance.

I was very impressed on how Rory responded to Tiger's charge. With a 2-shot lead & the Bear Trap yet to play, he played very, well, Nicklaus-like down the stretch gutting out tough pars...knowing that's all he needed to do to secure the win.

So my answer was -

Quote:
I sort of wanted to see if Rory had it in him to hold up. Really wanted him to EARN it.

And the answer was, he definitely had it in him to bring home the win. That was a real watershed victory for him, more so, imo, than the US Open romp last year. He took Tiger's best.

I have a hard time rooting against anyone. I like to see people earn their wins based on what they make happen. Rory knew going in that he didn't have to take any chances and that he just had to manage his game to win. He did that masterfully. I know his strategy would have been different if he didn't have a 2 shot cushion. The prime example was laying up on 18 when he could have reached easily. In fact, he was pretty conservative on many holes. The "misses" in the bunkers were routine up and downs but that would have been different if the pins were set close to the bunkers. The bottom line is that he earned it and his strategy was mature and well executed.

Tiger's and Lee's charges were just spectacular. The eagle on 18 was insane and let everyone know that Tiger was back. Tiger is good for golf, but Tiger playing well is great for golf. This really sets up a nice season going forward that all the Golf Powers have to be thrilled with because they will just rake it in and we will see some great play.

To answer Tiger vs. Rory, I would have to say I never thought it would come down to that and it really didn't. Don't worry though it will happen soon and then we can have a day when both guys have to go all out.

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

I was cheering for both a little bit. They're two of my favorite players on the tour so I like to see both play well. I'm happy with Rory winning but would have liked to see Tiger get a win to. With how he played Sunday I switched to cheering for him a little more.

DRIVER | Titleist 913D 10.5* 

WOODS | Titleist 913F.d 15* 

HYBRID | Titleist 913H 19* :titleist:

IRONS | Titleist 714 AP1 4-P :titleist:

WEDGES | Titleist Vokey 48*, 52*,56* 

PUTTER | Scotty Cameron GoLo 5 

BALL | Titleist Pro V1x  

I agree...Rory earned it like true champion...with his head!   I feel like he hit towards those bunkers on purpose.  He was so confident in his sand game and it took the water somewhat out of play...unless of course he bladed his sand shot and shanked it across the green.  His approach into 18 was way left of the pin and he had a short wedge in is hands...any other day he would have went right at it.  But he didn't...thank god!   Bravo!

Originally Posted by TourSpoon

I have a hard time rooting against anyone. I like to see people earn their wins based on what they make happen. Rory knew going in that he didn't have to take any chances and that he just had to manage his game to win. He did that masterfully. I know his strategy would have been different if he didn't have a 2 shot cushion. The prime example was laying up on 18 when he could have reached easily. In fact, he was pretty conservative on many holes. The "misses" in the bunkers were routine up and downs but that would have been different if the pins were set close to the bunkers. The bottom line is that he earned it and his strategy was mature and well executed.

Tiger's and Lee's charges were just spectacular. The eagle on 18 was insane and let everyone know that Tiger was back. Tiger is good for golf, but Tiger playing well is great for golf. This really sets up a nice season going forward that all the Golf Powers have to be thrilled with because they will just rake it in and we will see some great play.

To answer Tiger vs. Rory, I would have to say I never thought it would come down to that and it really didn't. Don't worry though it will happen soon and then we can have a day when both guys have to go all out.

DRIVER Taylormade R11S w/ Tour AD DI-7S 3 WOOD Taylormade R11S RIP Phenom Stiff 16.5 HYBRID Taylormade Rocketballz Tour Stiff IRONS 4-6 iron Taylormade MC w/ KBS C-Taper Stiff IRONS 7-PW Taylormade MB w/ KBS C-Taper Stiff WEDGES Titleist Vokey SM4 Black Nickel 52.12, 56.11, 60.10 PUTTER NIKE METHOD 001 33', Taylormade Ghost Spider 33' BAG ADIDAS AG Tour Stand Bag BALLS TITLEIST PRO-V1X SHOESADIDAS ADIPURE GPS SKYCADDIE SGX

Originally Posted by mtsalmela80

All those saves that Rory had were as "Tiger" as anything Tiger ever did.

My recollection is that Tiger would have hit the greens and simply two putted in boring fashion, but if you say so pal.

"The expert golfer has maximum time to make minimal compensations. The poorer player has minimal time to make maximum compensations." - And no, I'm not Mac. Please do not PM me about it. I just think he is a crazy MFer and we could all use a little more crazy sometimes.

"Old Tiger" would have put his foot on their throat and pushed that lead to 8!

DRIVER Taylormade R11S w/ Tour AD DI-7S 3 WOOD Taylormade R11S RIP Phenom Stiff 16.5 HYBRID Taylormade Rocketballz Tour Stiff IRONS 4-6 iron Taylormade MC w/ KBS C-Taper Stiff IRONS 7-PW Taylormade MB w/ KBS C-Taper Stiff WEDGES Titleist Vokey SM4 Black Nickel 52.12, 56.11, 60.10 PUTTER NIKE METHOD 001 33', Taylormade Ghost Spider 33' BAG ADIDAS AG Tour Stand Bag BALLS TITLEIST PRO-V1X SHOESADIDAS ADIPURE GPS SKYCADDIE SGX

Was hoping to see someone else come in and win it.  I didnt want to see Rory become world #1 and didnt want to see Tiger win either.

Whats in my :sunmountain: C-130 cart bag?

Woods: :mizuno: JPX 850 9.5*, :mizuno: JPX 850 15*, :mizuno: JPX-850 19*, :mizuno: JPX Fli-Hi #4, :mizuno: JPX 800 Pro 5-PW, :mizuno: MP T-4 50-06, 54-09 58-10, :cleveland: Smart Square Blade and :bridgestone: B330-S

This is fun stuff.  In all honesty, I was never a fan of Tiger per se.  But, I've always had great respect for him as a player given his accomplishments as a golfer.  However, ever since "crash-gate", he's been the butt of many jokes with every Tom, Dick and Harry taking pot-shots at him.  Some of them were pretty cheap and I'm sure some of them were well deserved.  Either way, I felt it was a little overboard at times and, recently, getting really old.  Because of that, I really wanted to see Tiger win.

Nothing against Rory because he's a brilliant golfer with a seemingly warm and approachable disposition.  And, without a doubt, he earned the win and his #1 status.  So, kudos to him for a job well done.

:titleist: :scotty_cameron:
915D3 / 712 AP2 / SC Mont 1.5

Was pulling for Gillis to keep draining putts and get into a playoff with McIlroy.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Like some others, I enjoy just watching golf in general, and more so when there's excitement added. I was rooting for Tiger to do well, because he is exciting on his own when playing well, but I was also rooting for Rory to win. All in all, I'd say I got what I wanted. That being said, I would have enjoyed a playoff between Rory and Tiger even more so.

Watching Tiger shoot a 62 on Sunday was exciting.  I really didn't want to see him finish 2nd after that fantastic finish on 18.  I was hoping that Rory would stumble enough to at least force a playoff between him and Tiger. But he didn't...  As Rory was Mr. Steady Eddie down the stretch.

Rory gained a ton of respect from me on Sunday.  And winning the way he did, with Tiger already posting a 62 in my mind shows the kid earned his way to the #1 spot in the world rankings.

2012 looks like it is going to shape up to be a beastly PGA season - and the interest in golf is becoming bigger and bigger by having these type of battles on Sunday.  The Masters is going to be insane... I can't wait!

Originally Posted by sean_miller

Was pulling for Gillis to keep draining putts and get into a playoff with McIlroy.

Amen to that.  It would have been a great story and at least then we wouldnt have to hear the word, "Rory" every 10 seconds on TGC.

Whats in my :sunmountain: C-130 cart bag?

Woods: :mizuno: JPX 850 9.5*, :mizuno: JPX 850 15*, :mizuno: JPX-850 19*, :mizuno: JPX Fli-Hi #4, :mizuno: JPX 800 Pro 5-PW, :mizuno: MP T-4 50-06, 54-09 58-10, :cleveland: Smart Square Blade and :bridgestone: B330-S

I didn't want this to end, part of me wanted a 3-man playoff with Tiger, Rory, and Gillis.  However, I also did not want to see Rory lose a couple of shots coming in and come back to the field, so in the end, I'm very happy with the finish.  Really builds up the excitement for the rest of the season.

In my :nike:  bag on my :clicgear: cart ...

Driver: :ping: G10 9*    3-Wood: :cleveland: Launcher
Hybrid: :adams: 20* Hybrid      Irons: :ping: i5 4-GW - silver dot, +1/2"
Wedges: :cleveland: 56* (bent to 54*) and 60* CG10     Putter: :ping: Craz-e (original blue)

Was hoping to see someone else come in and win it.  I didnt want to see Rory become world #1 and didnt want to see Tiger win either.

Just curious...what do you have against Rory? Granted I am a Rory fan, but I would much rather have him as the #1 than Luke Donald. I like Luke Donald and he is a very good player and i won't take anything away from how well he played last year, but Rory has the game to be one of the greats of all time. Not sure Luke has that...his driver is just way too inconsistant. He definitely has the stamina to play well in a ton of tournaments but it seems he may have burnt himself the process. So I who would you rather be #1?

Note: This thread is 4430 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!