IGNORED

Power of the Pause

Note: This thread is 2322 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I'm sure this has been talked about a lot on TST, but yesterday I turned my iron striking around and rescued it from a 3-4 round skid. The only difference was re-introducing a nice little pause at the top. I just wanted to generate a little discussion on the merits (and detractions if any) of the pause. For me,

1. It requires, and at the same time, can generate, confidence. When you lack confidence or belief, or are apprehensive over a shot, a rushed transition is the norm and a pause can be very hard to do. On the other hand, if you have the discipline to force yourself to pause, after a few shots it can become easier and can generate confidence.

2. The pause is a golf swing enabler. Whatever swing I am trying to execute, from a long hard draw with a driver, to a cut 3 iron, to a delicate pitch to a short sided pin, the pause gives me a much greater chance to do it. It's almost like my brain resets during the pause and instantly 'sees' what to do with the club. Also, all of the various parts in the kinetic chain fire with proper timing, which dramatically improves swing plane and impact position, which in turn improves quality of contact, which improves power and accuracy, yada yada.

3. For some reason, it seems to require periodic re-injection into my game. It's like ball-watching in tennis - a very basic fundamental, but I regularly drift away from it while I work on other things, and sometimes I just forget about it and can't figure out why I'm hitting like crap. Then, it's like an epiphany all over when I find it again.

Any other thoughts on the power of the pause?

dak4n6

I don't pause, but I work on starting the transition easy. This allows my right elbow to move in position and my hips to start to slide before the club really starts to descend. Got this advice in my Evolvr lessons. When I transition too fast, my swing goes more out to in.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator

I like the pause, and Mike and James and Dave can attest to the fact that I've said virtually everyone who people say have a great swing have a moment where everything kind of "gathers" or "collects" in the transition before starting down. This "gathering" makes things mechanically simpler, sure, but it also makes things "look" better. You can have a goofy swing but if it "gathers" at the top it'll look better than one that doesn't.

Who has a better golf swing: Nick Price or Fred Couples? Most people would rather watch Fred Couples, yet he didn't win as many majors as Nick Price (no real "gathering") and his swing is probably not as good technically (we're talking nths of a degree here though folks, to be clear!).

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

When I'm hitting the ball in all sorts of ways. Thin, fat, left, right, I always focus on tempo during the transition. My tendency is to get too quick from the top. Some parts of my swing have started going the other way before other parts are done with the first move. Whenever this happens, I focus on giving myself time to complete the swing and not rush it. My backswing tempo doesn't change, nor do I swing faster or slower down, but I let my body complete the backswing before initiating the downswing. I've used a few pros as models. Picturing the swings of Couples, Els or Mickelson in my head. Couples and Els are known for their fluid and good looking swings. For some reason, I find some of the same in Phil. Not exactly the same, but it works for me. Especially his iron swing. I don't believe you gain a whole lot by having body parts moving in opposite directions to gain momentum and speed. You'll get speed enough by using your body properly. Jumping, hip slide and rotation, core rotation, arms speed. By having a tiny pause at the top, you allow things to settle and get ready for the downswing. It doesn't happen in a specific order. You don't push the hips, drop the arms and rotate through. Everything happens at the same time, which is why it makes sense to get everything started at the same time too. You can of course have players where a head start with the hips is what makes them play well and get the different components working well together, but if you struggle with inconsistent ball striking that doesn't make a whole lot of sense, try it out. I know it works for me. I sometimes pretend I'm on the range to find the same level of calmness as I do there. We do things on the course we don't do at the range. Just ask Tiger Woods. I've never tried using the audio tempo stuff that is supposed to imitate the tempo of a tour player. Each swing is different and there are subtle differences that you can hardly put the clock on. A good tempo is one that allows you to hit the ball consistently. Erratic tempo can cause a variety of results.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Jack didn't believe in the pause - stated he didn't think he could stop if he wanted and felt it might cause injury.  Pausing has been the best way I've found to keep my right arm from bending.  When I don't try to pause I notice my right arm flexes during the transition from backswing to downswing for some reason.

Joe Paradiso

I have observed that the great majority of hackers who have chronic problems also have very ugly transitions. They typically lunge, twitch, and otherwise spaz at the start of the downswing. This causes all manner of balance, swingplane, and timing issues (the most common of which is the good ol' over the top casting slice, usually ending up with a nice hands-low chicken winging finish).

Nick Price has probably the fastest transition ever. I dunno how he does it. I would probably whiff if I swung like that. Plus, I feel that kind of transition has more potential to cause injury than a nice 'set'. Too much of a violent change in momentum..

dak4n6

I think about a pause when I am swinging well. I feel a pause. It also feels like finishing my backswing. When I look at my swing on video, there is no pause -- even when I know I paused. There is an orderly transition on those swings but no pause. Still, don't tell me I don't pause because I can feel it. I'm not sure how the video lies to me. One fact is that feeling of a pause makes a positive difference in my swing.

My tempo guide is to say, "Freddie... Couples" during my practice swing in the tempo I hope to have on the real swing. The only thing Freddie and I have in common is our age.

• Like 1

Russ - Student of the Moe Norman swing as taught by the pros at - http://moenormangolf.com

Titleist 910 D3 8.5* w/ Project X shaft/ Titleist 910F 15* w/ Project X shaft

Cobra Baffler 20* & 23* hybrids with Accra hybrid shafts

Mizuno MP-53 irons 5Iron-PW AeroTech i95 shafts stiff and soft stepped once/Mizuno MP T-11 50.6/56.10/MP T10 60*

Seemore PCB putter with SuperStroke 3.0

Srixon 2012 Z-Star yellow balls/ Iomic Sticky 2.3, X-Evolution grips/Titleist Lightweight Cart Bag---

extra/alternate clubs: Mizunos JPX-800 Pro 5-GW with Project X 5.0 soft-stepped shafts

I'm kind of the same way.  Years ago, when I was playing much better, I had a little pause at the top of the backswing.  The other night, while hitting into the net, I would hold my position at the top of the backswing for an extended amount of time - long enough to glance back at my club position - and it seemed like the swing sequence was much better.  It really let my hips start the swing, rather than starting from the top.  I've been out of town and busy over the past few days, so I haven't had a chance to get back in the basement swing-laboratory to work more on it, but hopefully this week will allow.

:ping:

• G400 - 9° /Alta CB 55 Stiff / G410-SFT - 16° /Project X 6.0S 85G / G410 - 20.5° /Tensei Orange 75S
  • G710 - 4 iron/SteelFiber i110cw Stiff • / i210 - 5 iron - UW / AWT 2.0 Stiff
  • Glide SS - 54° / CFS Wedge / Glide 2.0 SS - 58°/10 / KBS 120S / Hoofer - Black

:scotty_cameron: - Select Squareback / 35"  -  :titleist: - Pro V1 / White  -  :clicgear: - 3.5+ / White

I definitely will try this out today when I'm hitting some balls. I don't know if I do the little pause at the top? But I know that since I have really really really slowed down my backswing that it helps me to set up and get better contact. It may be something I am doing anyways with the slower backswing, but I will try the pause thing!

+1 for the "pause" ... it may rob me of some distance but I'd rather be in the short grass and "dance floor" than hacking it out from the bushes or under a tree, or lose another ball to a watery grave.

Driver: TaylorMade RocketBallz 10.5-deg
Woods: Cobra Bio Cell+ 3W and 5W
Hybrids: Bobby Jones Workshop Hybrid 3 (20-deg) and 5 (25-deg)
Irons: Srixon XXIO7 from 6 - PW
Wedge: Srixon XXIO7 GW and SW

Putter: Bobby Grace DCT Captiva 34"; Ball: Sirxon Soft Feel; Shoes: Footjoy

The pause adds distance for me.

• Upvote 1

Russ - Student of the Moe Norman swing as taught by the pros at - http://moenormangolf.com

Titleist 910 D3 8.5* w/ Project X shaft/ Titleist 910F 15* w/ Project X shaft

Cobra Baffler 20* & 23* hybrids with Accra hybrid shafts

Mizuno MP-53 irons 5Iron-PW AeroTech i95 shafts stiff and soft stepped once/Mizuno MP T-11 50.6/56.10/MP T10 60*

Seemore PCB putter with SuperStroke 3.0

Srixon 2012 Z-Star yellow balls/ Iomic Sticky 2.3, X-Evolution grips/Titleist Lightweight Cart Bag---

extra/alternate clubs: Mizunos JPX-800 Pro 5-GW with Project X 5.0 soft-stepped shafts

Im not sure if people are actually thinking they pause. Some players start the downswing before there backswing finishes, this looks like a pause, because the golf club seams to float there a bit. Some players might actually pause the swing. I think it might be a good training aid to get you to swing from the bottom up instead from the top down. Personally for me, i don't pause..

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

as soon as my left shoulder hits my chin, i think to myself "okay slow down"

i feel as if i'm pausing but i think my wrists hinge naturally at this point as i start my downswing

i used to have a longer backswing where the clubhead just dies out before i begin my hips

but i feel a lot more in control with the perceived pause at the top

Originally Posted by dak4n6

.... It's almost like my brain resets during the pause and instantly 'sees' what to do with the club. Also, all of the various parts in the kinetic chain fire with proper timing, which dramatically improves swing plane and impact position, which in turn improves quality of contact, which improves power and accuracy, yada yada. ...

As a swing enabler, the slight pause helps because it means you are set at the top. Years ago when shopping for fairway woods, I found a golf shop on a quiet day. The fitter let me use the launch monitor for about 20 minutes comparing different club varieties.

One side finding: When I had a swing tempo of 1.8 seconds, I hit the ball 10 to 15 yards farther - and with better control - than when I had a swing tempo of 1.4 seconds. I suspect that at 1.8 seconds, I had fully settled in at the top and smoothly kicked in the downswing, At 1.4 seconds, I was rushing things and letting wobbles creep into the swing.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Yes, I agree, for me it is just a very slight pause, not a Nancy Lopez pause. I also like the other terms used here like 'set', 'gather', 'settle'.

Definitely aids in starting the swing from the bottom up, developing a lag, and putting some nice pressure on the grip with the base of the index finger..

dak4n6

• 5 years later...

I'm working with a slight pause at the top on the range. I don't want to adopt it permanently but it is helpful for me because I was stating the hips for too early. I know so many advocate stating the lower body, just as the backswing is about to finish, but I was staring it way to early and the path then could only go left with my hands trailing and the upper body slightly hanging back. 

The pause has really improved the synchronization between my hips and the rest of the body.

There really is power in the pause if you know what you are working on. 

in a note related to the pause, but not meant to be a deterrent.  This is just kind of a funny story.  

I had a buddy about 5 years back who had a pause at the top of his swing.   Somehow over the course of the summer, he developed some sort of weird nervous mental block where could physically couldn't start his downswing.  He would just get to the top of his swing and then just stop there for like 4-5 seconds.  He would make little jerks like he wanted to start his downswing and his body just wouldn't let him.   

This fella was not a beginner at golf, and not a bad golfer.  pretty routinely a low 80's player (outside of this strange stretch of time).   We can all laugh about it now, because in time, he got over it.  But, at the time, it was really cringe-worthy to watch.  like you physically felt nervous and bad for him every time he took the club back.  

:tmade:  - SIM2 - Kuro Kage silver 60 shaft
:cobra:  - F9 3W, 15 degree - Fukijara Atmos white tour spec stiff flex shaft

:tmade: - M2 hybrid, 19 degree
:tmade: - GAPR 3 iron - 18degree
:mizuno: MP-H5 4-5 iron, MP-25 6-8 iron, MP-5 9-PW

Miura - 1957 series k-grind - 56 degree
:bettinardi: - 52 degree
:titleist: - Scotty Cameron Newport 2 - Putter

check out my swing here

Note: This thread is 2322 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!