IGNORED

2012 Memorial Tournament Presented by Nationwide Insurance Discussion Thread

mvmac
Note: This thread is 4352 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by Motley01

Same with Phil. These young kids just don't have any idea what Tiger and Phil have accomplished.

I don't think Phil's accomplishments during the Tiger Era will be appreciated until a while from now.  I didn't even realize until yesterday while doing an internet search, that Phil is #9 on the all time wins list with something like 40.  #9 all time, with the potential #1 winner playing in the same era.  That's darn impressive IMO.

Brandon

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

Originally Posted by turtleback

It is kind of funny how they say we now have  generation that is not intimidated by Tiger.  What we really have is a generation who has never faced the full force of Tiger at his best.  If he gets back to that point, and I think he will, this new generation won't be able to do anything more about it than the last generation did.  Look at the scoring averages.  They aren't any better than the earlier guys, Tiger is just not shooting as low himself.  If he does he will dominate them just as he dominated before.

Absolutely 100% correct.

It would be like Tiger saying he wasn't intimidated by Norman in 1990.

These guys never played against him at his peak.

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

Originally Posted by jamo

"Hole-out" as a term is usually used to describe a longer shot, no? A 9 iron from 150 is a hole out, but a flop shot from 5 feet off the green? I suppose you could use it, it just seems like there should be a better term.

I dunno. I've heard announces say a player 'holed out' from a greenside bunker, for example. To me, a hole-out is any shot holed from off the green regardless of distance.

Originally Posted by newtogolf

It's not just being intimidated by Tiger, it's playing the entire round with the largest gallery on the course.  I definitely think some of these guys put additional pressure on themselves wanting to be the "Tiger Slayer", but most of these guys have also never played with all the distractions that such a large gallery creates.  84 isn't just a bad round, it's a complete collapse.

I was thinking as much about Rory and Spencer, neither of whom did much after Tiger put the knife in them with the birdie on 15 and the chip-in on 16.

Originally Posted by bplewis24

I don't think Phil's accomplishments during the Tiger Era will be appreciated until a while from now.  I didn't even realize until yesterday while doing an internet search, that Phil is #9 on the all time wins list with something like 40.  #9 all time, with the potential #1 winner playing in the same era.  That's darn impressive IMO.

Brandon

Absolutely.  I am no Phil fan at all, but I still think his accomplishments are among the must under-rated in golf.

Originally Posted by Shorty

Absolutely 100% correct.

It would be like Tiger saying he wasn't intimidated by Norman in 1990.

These guys never played against him at his peak.

Yet.  LOL

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I was pretty certain that Rory and Spencer would not be able to handle the pressure after hearing the roar from the gallery on 16.  Even if they didn't know what happened, they had to know it wasn't good for them.

I was thinking as much about Rory and Spencer, neither of whom did much after Tiger put the knife in them with the birdie on 15 and the chip-in on 16.

Joe Paradiso

I dunno. I've heard announces say a player 'holed out' from a greenside bunker, for example. To me, a hole-out is any shot holed from off the green regardless of distance.

I'd say holing out refers to the ball going into the hole, regardless of where you hit it from. Could be 250 yards or 1 inch. They sometimes say on the broadcast: "He's going to let Mike hole out first", when the player just got a short putt left.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

It is kind of funny how they say we now have  generation that is not intimidated by Tiger.  What we really have is a generation who has never faced the full force of Tiger at his best.  If he gets back to that point, and I think he will, this new generation won't be able to do anything more about it than the last generation did.  Look at the scoring averages.  They aren't any better than the earlier guys, Tiger is just not shooting as low himself.  If he does he will dominate them just as he dominated before.

The PGA tour counts scoring averages differently than you are implying.

I believe they take the scoring average for the round, offset that to 72, and go from there.

This takes out the disparity for say a person who is only playing the harder courses where say 3-4 under par would win, and a person who is playing resort courses like the Bob Hope where 30 under wins.

Just a couple notes on the Sundays round.  I was there following the last three groups but mostly the Tiger/Fowler group.  At first I thought Fowler had a real chance of winning after the bird at 1.  But after the blowup on 3 & 4 it was pretty much over for him.  Sad thing is he looked like this too, you could tell that he felt like he was out of it with only playing 5 holes.  From there on out Fowler struggled, he said via twiiter that he hit the ball well but the yardages were wrong.  I may agree with this at some point but when he missed the green he never got up and down.

I personally do not like Sab and that cowboy and his arrogant hate so I was glad to see him lose it.

The course following of Rickie and Tiger was amazing to see.  My course strategy was to get up the greens to see Tiger hit is approach shots and putt.  Since the course is a 2nd shot course it was pointless to see him hit 3-wood in the middle of the fairway all day.  Fortunately for me it seemed liked everyone else wanted to see his tee shot.  The roars that came from this group were crazy, I have never heard anything like it in golf.

To get to last 3 holes. My buddy and I wanted to see 18 since we thought it would come down to 18.  So after we saw Tigers tee shot on 16 which hit so hard, I couldn't believe it ended up where it did since he hit 8 iron.  That green really dried out.  Anyway after that we looked at each other and said "par at best" so we sprinted (more of a brisk walk) to 18 where the absolute closest spot we could find was 100 yards out just past the fairway bunker.  Once we settled in we heard the loudest roar of the day.  This could have been heard from hole #3 which is at the complete opposite end.  We knew that Tiger just chipped in for birdie from an impossible line.

After that the rest was history and the bird on 18 was just to rub it in Sabs face :).

Best Memorial I have been to so far.

• Upvote 2

Originally Posted by laconic517

The PGA tour counts scoring averages differently than you are implying.

I believe they take the scoring average for the round, offset that to 72, and go from there.

This takes out the disparity for say a person who is only playing the harder courses where say 3-4 under par would win, and a person who is playing resort courses like the Bob Hope where 30 under wins.

I know exactly how the adjusted scoring averages used for the Vardon Trophy are computed, and it is a little more complicated than you imply.

I also know that they publish the scoring averages before that adjustment as well.

And the only problem with your theory is that what I said also applies to the actual, unadjusted scores.  Hardly any change among the other players between then and now.

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

Anyone hear anything about Charl Schwartzel breaking his putter out of anger? He putted on the 18th green from about 6 feet, and the announcers said he broke his putter using his foot earlier ... or something to the effect that it was no accident.

Originally Posted by topspin4hand

Anyone hear anything about Charl Schwartzel breaking his putter out of anger? He putted on the 18th green from about 6 feet, and the announcers said he broke his putter using his foot earlier ... or something to the effect that it was no accident.

I thought it was Stenson... I will have to check

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

I guess I can see that.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Originally Posted by Valleygolfer

I thought it was Stenson... I will have to check

No, it was Schwartzel.  They said something like:

-His putter broke on 17.

-Yeah, it broke on his foot!

No, it was Schwartzel.  They said something like:

-His putter broke on 17.

-Yeah, it broke on his foot!

Yea I knew it was by his foot. I watched him putt with his wedge but thought they said Stenson. Which made sense...Schwartzel didn't..

I can't find any information on it.  If only it were Phil, Tiger or McIlroy, there would have been a 30 minute golf central segment on it.

Brandon

I can't find any information on it.  If only it were Phil, Tiger or McIlroy, there would have been a 30 minute golf central segment on it.

Brandon

I thought the same thing.

What a great 4 days of golf.  The weather was almost perfect, the course was in amazing shape, the crowds were great and there was some great golf being played.  The ending with its classic Tiger ending was just the icing on the cake.

Whats in my :sunmountain: C-130 cart bag?

Woods: :mizuno: JPX 850 9.5*, :mizuno: JPX 850 15*, :mizuno: JPX-850 19*, :mizuno: JPX Fli-Hi #4, :mizuno: JPX 800 Pro 5-PW, :mizuno: MP T-4 50-06, 54-09 58-10, :cleveland: Smart Square Blade and :bridgestone: B330-S

Originally Posted by jamo

I guess I can see that.

Technically, any final stroke that results in the ball being in the hole, is a "hole-out".

My point was that is surprises me that people were calling it a "chip-in" because it most certainly was not a chip by any definition.

Definition: The term "hole out" can be used as a noun or a verb:
  • Noun: A "hole out" is a shot that results in the ball winding up in the hole. As such, every last stroke on a given golf hole is a "hole out," since your play of a hole isn't over until the ball rests in the cup .

But the way "hole out" is most often used as a noun is to refer to shots the unexpectedly result in the ball finding the cup; a shot from the fairway , for example, or a blast out of bunker .

What's in my bag:
Cleveland Hibore XLS Monster Driver
TourEdge Exotics 2,3,4 hybrid irons
Tommy Armour 845cs Silverbacks 5-PW
Assorted wedges, Ping Scottsdale Anser

Note: This thread is 4352 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!