IGNORED

Michelle Wie...Will she ever return to her previous form?

Tontj5
Note:Β This thread is 3586 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!

If she never wins again or retires today she still has accomplishedΒ more by the age of 22 than myself or the "haters" posting in this thread. Thats not opinion, thats a fact. She has alot to be proud of but I guess haters gotta hate. LOL

Ron :nike: GOLF Embracing my Angry Black Male :mad:

True she's got a good degree to fall back on.

In my mizuno.gifΒ Neo Cart Bag or rife.gifΒ Staff Bag on clicgear.gifΒ 2.0 Trolley
Β Driver:Β R11 10.5* | Β 3W:Β CB4 15* | adams.gifΒ Hybrid: Idea Pro (20* & 23*)
bridgestone.gifΒ Irons: J36 Cavity Back (5-PW) | vokey.gifΒ Wedges: S.M Oil Cans: 52.08, 56.08 & 60.04
rife.gifΒ Putter: 2-bar Hybrid Blade | bridgestone.gifΒ Ball: B330-RX Β Ball: Pro V1

Β 

And can you please stop calling me a "hater". Can I be a "disliker"?

In my mizuno.gifΒ Neo Cart Bag or rife.gifΒ Staff Bag on clicgear.gifΒ 2.0 Trolley
bridgestone.gifΒ Irons: J36 Cavity Back (5-PW) | vokey.gifΒ Wedges: S.M Oil Cans: 52.08, 56.08 & 60.04
rife.gifΒ Putter: 2-bar Hybrid Blade | bridgestone.gifΒ Ball: B330-RX Β Ball: Pro V1

Β 

Originally Posted by the19thhole

And can you please stop calling me a "hater". Can I be a "disliker"?

LOL ok thats fair.

Ron :nike: GOLF Embracing my Angry Black Male :mad:

Anybody want to make standing bets on what she will (won't) accomplish over the next few years of her career? Β I'm speaking to the pro-Wie posters here who think she had/has form.

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

Originally Posted by Shorty

She is the most overhyped female in the history of sport.

Have you ever heard of Danica Patrick?

Easily the most overhyped person in the history of sport - she has started 178 races, led something like 80 laps, and won 1 race.

OK - now continue to bash Wie

Players play, tough players win!

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I think she'll win less now than she would have had she skipped Stanford.Β  LPGA competition is tough and Yani isn't going to roll over because Wie is playing now.

Originally Posted by bplewis24

Anybody want to make standing bets on what she will (won't) accomplish over the next few years of her career? Β I'm speaking to the pro-Wie posters here who think she had/has form.

Joe Paradiso

Originally Posted by newtogolf

I think she'll win less now than she would have had she skipped Stanford.Β  LPGA competition is tough and Yani isn't going to roll over because Wie is playing now.

So that really illustrates that in Michelle Wie's case, it seems necessary to define what "regaining her form" would be. Β Does the "form" have to hold up to her hype? Β If so, she probably doesn't have a shot. Β She was supposed to be the Tiger Woods of the LPGA. Β It wouldn't be fair to hold her to that. Β So, then what? Β A few Majors? Β Just winning consistently (2-3 times per year) on tour?

I'm not even talking about this in the context of a bet, just trying to see how this discussion should be framed. Β What is really expected of her now that the hype has mostly worn off.

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

I guess at 1-2 wins a year at best and that's me being generous.

Β 

I don't think we've seen the level of golf Wie is capable of playing right now.Β  She may be a total bust and never get back to where she was, especially if sheΒ lost herΒ passionΒ for the game.Β  She could also show great improvementΒ from where she todayΒ but it might not be good enough to beatΒ Yani, Stacy andΒ others.

Originally Posted by bplewis24

So that really illustrates that in Michelle Wie's case, it seems necessary to define what "regaining her form" would be. Β Does the "form" have to hold up to her hype? Β If so, she probably doesn't have a shot. Β She was supposed to be the Tiger Woods of the LPGA. Β It wouldn't be fair to hold her to that. Β So, then what? Β A few Majors? Β Just winning consistently (2-3 times per year) on tour?

I'm not even talking about this in the context of a bet, just trying to see how this discussion should be framed. Β What is really expected of her now that the hype has mostly worn off.

Joe Paradiso

How often does Ledbetter actually teach Wie or does someone else in his academy teach her?

Andy Zhang also is a student at Ledbetter's school if I'm not mistaken.

Is it possible that a pro at Ledbetter's academy that doesn't follow Ledbetter's methods to the letter, teach a student, sort of, independently, using his own philosophy?

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Originally Posted by nevets88

How often does Ledbetter actually teach Wie or does someone else in his academy teach her?

Andy Zhang also is a student at Ledbetter's school if I'm not mistaken.

Is it possible that a pro at Ledbetter's academy that doesn't follow Ledbetter's methods to the letter, teach a student, sort of, independently, using his own philosophy?

I would have thought that all the pro's teach according to his philosophy, would kind of defeat the purpose if they didn't. Cannot imagine Ledbetter allowing someone to teach something that may be contradictory to his school of thought.

Β 

While her Kia commercials are okay, IMHO she should not put that much make-up. Β She looks terrible with all that make-up.

As for her golf game, I believe now that she is done with college, she can finally concentrate on her game. Β I expect-and hope-she will be a factor starting next LPGA season.

Originally Posted by inthehole

I like her Kia commercials - especially the one with the trap shooters.Β Β Β  Anyways, I respect her for finishing college when her golf career was peaking.Β Β Β Β  I think she'll get it together - might take a couple years of not getting regular lpga paychecks to get her desire back ...

Don

:titleist: 910 D2, 8.5˚, Adila RIP 60 S-Flex
:titleist: 980F 15˚
:yonex:Β EZone BladesΒ (3-PW) Dynamic Gold S-200
:vokey:   Vokey wedges, 52˚; 56˚; and 60˚
:scotty_cameron: Β 2014 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

Or Ana Kournikova? Β Who has never won a singles tournament.

Quote:

Have you ever heard of Danica Patrick?

Easily the most overhyped person in the history of sport - she has started 178 races, led something like 80 laps, and won 1 race.

OK - now continue to bash Wie

Don

:titleist: 910 D2, 8.5˚, Adila RIP 60 S-Flex
:titleist: 980F 15˚
:yonex:Β EZone BladesΒ (3-PW) Dynamic Gold S-200
:vokey:   Vokey wedges, 52˚; 56˚; and 60˚
:scotty_cameron: Β 2014 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

I seem to remember Michelle busted up her wrist in a jogging accident, and perhaps she is still struggling with that?

For the skeptics, there's a very strong argument that all the money handed to Michelle took away some of her fire and gumption.Β  If she never plays another event she's probably set for life, and good on her for that.Β  I for one remember her barely missing the cut at Sony those many years back, and there was no question she had form then.

Ping i15 9.0 (UST Mamiya S)

Cobra X-Speed 4+ Wood (Aldila S)

Cobra Baffler 3-Hybrid (19)

Mizuno JPX-825 Pro (4-GW) KBS Tour S

Cobra Rusty 55 SW

Cobra Rusty 59 LW

Never Compromise Gambler (34")

Looks like Michelle made the cut this week at the Manulife Financial Classic. She shot 70-70 (par 71) and is in 36th place at -2. Putting looks much improved - playing "left hand low" with her hands split on the grip. Maybe she is on the right path. Time will tell.

β€œYou don't have the game you played last year or last week. You only have today's game. It may be far from your best, but that's all you've got. Harden your heart and make the best of it.”

~ Walter Hagen

• 3 weeks later...

Her 66 on Friday at Blackwolf Run with a 1.28 putt/green average suggests that she still has some form left from prior glory days and her putting isn't altogether worthless.Β  Her 80 on Sunday was less promising, however, but there were 7 players shootingin the 80's on Sunday.

I think having the father she had and the adolescent golf career that she did has not been beneficial for her maturity.Β Β I watched her play the 7th hole on Sunday and she snagged her tee shot in deep rough and only advanced her second shot about 3 feet.Β  I'm sure it never got caught on television (and maybe she knew that and it explains why she did it), but after her fourth shot missed the green, she shrieked loudly.Β  My daughter, who has a girl's golf book checked out from the library with Wie on the cover, had been particularly interested in following Wie, but was looking toward the green and turned around, somewhat alarmed, and asked "Who just screamed?"Β  It was not exactly the foremost example of sportspersonship or maturity I've ever seen.Β  Wie was definitely displaying a less-than-positive attitude from her body language on Sunday, that's for sure.

In my bag: - Ping G20 driver, 10.5 deg.Β SΒ flex - Ping G20 3W, 15 deg., S flex - Nickent 4dx 3H, 4H - Nike Slingshot 4-PW - Adams Tom Watson 52 deg. GW -Β Vokey 58 deg.Β SWΒ -Ping Half Wack-E putter

Originally Posted by Yukari

Or Ana Kournikova? Β Who has never won a singles tournament.

Quote:

Yes, but she was so hot that she actually deserved the hype.......seriously.

"Getting paired with you is the equivalent to a two-stroke penalty to your playing competitors"Β  -- Sean O'Hair to Rory Sabbatini (Zurich Classic, 2011)

Note:Β This thread is 3586 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!