IGNORED

The Best (worst) Spelling and Grammar Errors Thread

dak4n6

mmmm DONUTS!!!!

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

What upsets me about "irregardless" is that it shows up in online dictionaries (even if only to say it's non conforming or some other mess).  It promotes the use of the word.  I've never used it, and about 5-10 years ago I remember assuming it wasn't a word, but being confused by how many people did use it to the point I had to look it up and make sure.

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

What upsets me about "irregardless" is that it shows up in online dictionaries (even if only to say it's non conforming or some other mess).

I looked it up when I saw that infographic I posted.

The Oxford online dictionary does that.  It's a word but not a word recognizable in the English language. :-\

I notice that irregardless isn't underlined by my browser as a spelling mistake...............the same as infographic is. :-D

Paul

I looked it up when I saw that infographic I posted.

The Oxford online dictionary does that.  It's a word but not a word recognizable in the English language.

I notice that irregardless isn't underlined by my browser as a spelling mistake...............the same as infographic is.

Ha!  Exactly.

Quote:

Originally Posted by cipher

What good is a long level on a surface that irregardless of slope is not flat and can often have crowns and bowls? It is not a table top tilted at an angle, that is why gathering information from a smaller area is effective. The system works, spend the money and become a better putter or don't and stay the same.

@cipher,

I was visiting DC with my wife and we went to watch the SCOTUS in action.  One lawyer was making a point and used, "irregardless" in her argument.  Justice Rehnquist stopped her dead in her tracks.  "That is not a word.  The word is regardless.  There is no such word as irregardless."  The lawyer was so flustered, she stumbled through the rest of her argument.

From Merriam-Webster:

Usage Discussion of IRREGARDLESS

Irregardless originated in dialectal American speech in the early 20th century. Its fairly widespread use in speech called it to the attention of usage commentators as early as 1927. The most frequently repeated remark about it is that there is no such word. There is such a word, however. It is still used primarily in speech, although it can be found from time to time in edited prose. Its reputation has not risen over the years, and it is still a long way from general acceptance. Use regardless instead.
So don't use it, irregardless of weather you want to or not. :smartass:

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Copacetic has a similar history.  It was a made up slang word that eventually became a real word.  And finally the word police gave up on split infinitives too.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

From Merriam-Webster: Usage Discussion of IRREGARDLESS Irregardless originated in dialectal American speech in the early 20th century. Its fairly widespread use in speech called it to the attention of usage commentators as early as 1927. The most frequently repeated remark about it is that there is no such word. There is such a word, however. It is still used primarily in speech, although it can be found from time to time in edited prose. Its reputation has not risen over the years, and it is still a long way from general acceptance. Use regardless instead. So don't use it, irregardless of weather you want to or not.  :smartass:

Irregardless I get it, like I said I am Stuped. Geez people have a heart. ;-)

Nate

:tmade:(10.5) :pxg:(4W/7W) MIURA(3-PW) :mizuno:(50/54/60) 

Copacetic has a similar history.  It was a made up slang word that eventually became a real word.  And finally the word police gave up on split infinitives too.

That angers me.

Copacetic has a similar history.  It was a made up slang word that eventually became a real word.  And finally the word police gave up on split infinitives too.

Isn't this technically true about every word in every language though? I mean, they were all made up at some point. ;). I think this is why, although it's certainly fun to poke fun at people, it doesn't really bother me that much when people say they could care less or irregardless. We all know what they mean and isn't that pretty much the point? [quote name="bplewis24" url="/t/59498/the-best-worst-spelling-and-grammar-errors-thread/690#post_915258"] That angers me. [/quote]Settle down there, Tony. ;)

it doesn't really bother me that much when people say they could care less or irregardless. We all know what they mean and isn't that pretty much the point?

It does matter, especially when what they say is actually the exact opposite of what they mean.

It indicates a lack of thought and attention which may well transfer to other facets of life.

If English is your language, why not be accurate? Why not use it correctly.

Imagine having a job where you could not be trusted to  write something that went out of the office. Your opportunities are going to be restricted.

Anyone who thinks apostrophes go in plural words falls into that category. To trivialise the importance of these things doesn't make sense.

The "could care less" one is outrageously idiotic. Anyone who uses that phrase clearly has never actually thought about what they are saying.

It would be like saying "I will eat cabbage" instead of "I won't eat cabbage" and wondering why people think you are stupid when you don't eat it.

One I've noticed on this site lately is "every once and a while" rather than "once in a while". Crazy.

People are lazy, and don't perceive consequences that actually exist. Many is the job application that has been binned and laughed at because of errant apostrophes and poor grammar.

Did you know, for example, that some loan companies use algorithms where they look at usage and abusage of apostrophes to help calculate an applicant's ability to repay a loan?

It does matter, and the people who think it doesn't are mistaken.

• Upvote 2

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

It is the same for me.  When I text my son, or anyone else for that matter, I spell everything out.

I was reading old posts and this came up. I do the same.

Sometime ago I was with my daughter driving around, she was driving. We were going to pick up her friend who then sent text message to my daughter. As she was driving I wrote the reply message for her. We needed few more messages to get things sorted out and the final message from the friend was literally "Why do you write everything in written standard language?" as all my replies to her were written spelled out correctly. I just replied "because her dad is doing the writing". This of course happened in Finnish. We had a good laugh because we were half expecting the question.

It does matter, especially when what they say is actually the exact opposite of what they mean.

It indicates a lack of thought and attention which may well transfer to other facets of life.

Is the lack of real paragraphs (or excessive use of them) a way to emphasize the message, to make it more punchy?

I was reading old posts and this came up. I do the same.

Sometime ago I was with my daughter driving around, she was driving. We were going to pick up her friend who then sent text message to my daughter. As she was driving I wrote the reply message for her. We needed few more messages to get things sorted out and the final message from the friend was literally "Why do you write everything in written standard language?" as all my replies to her were written spelled out correctly. I just replied "because her dad is doing the writing". This of course happened in Finnish. We had a good laugh because we were half expecting the question.

Being a person who grew up through the tech boom of the late 90's. I am kinda stuck in the middle zone, of those who are good with computers and smart phones, but are not proficient in the texting short hand language. So I tend to spell everything out, unless its old AIM lingo. I speak archaic shorthand.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:

Imagine having a job where you could not be trusted to  write something that went out of the office. Your opportunities are going to be restricted.

Anyone who thinks apostrophes go in plural words falls into that category. To trivialise the importance of these things doesn't make sense.

The "could care less" one is outrageously idiotic. Anyone who uses that phrase clearly has never actually thought about what they are saying.

It would be like saying "I will eat cabbage" instead of "I won't eat cabbage" and wondering why people think you are stupid when you don't eat it.

One I've noticed on this site lately is "every once and a while" rather than "once in a while". Crazy.

People are lazy, and don't perceive consequences that actually exist. Many is the job application that has been binned and laughed at because of errant apostrophes and poor grammar.

Did you know, for example, that some loan companies use algorithms where they look at usage and abusage of apostrophes to help calculate an applicant's ability to repay a loan?

It does matter, and the people who think it doesn't are mistaken.

I agree with everything here.  Words mean things, or at least they used to.

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Being a person who grew up through the tech boom of the late 90's. I am kinda stuck in the middle zone, of those who are good with computers and smart phones, but are not proficient in the texting short hand language. So I tend to misspell everything out, unless its old AIM lingo. I speak archaic shorthand.

Fixed.

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Fixed.

:censored::censored::censored::censored::censored::censored::censored:

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/language-literally-evolving-says-fleet-2160500

Kevin

Titleist 910 D3 9.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Titleist 910F 13.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Adams Idea A12 Pro hybrid 18*; 23* with RIP S flex
Titleist 712 AP2 4-9 iron with KBS C-Taper, S+ flex
Titleist Vokey SM wedges 48*, 52*, 58*
Odyssey White Hot 2-ball mallet, center shaft, 34"

It does matter, especially when what they say is actually the exact opposite of what they mean. It indicates a lack of thought and attention which may well transfer to other facets of life. If English is your language, why not be accurate? Why not use it correctly. Imagine having a job where you could not be trusted to  write something that went out of the office. Your opportunities are going to be restricted. Anyone who thinks apostrophes go in plural words falls into that category. To trivialise the importance of these things doesn't make sense. The "could care less" one is outrageously idiotic. Anyone who uses that phrase clearly has never actually thought about what they are saying. It would be like saying "I will eat cabbage" instead of "I won't eat cabbage" and wondering why people think you are stupid when you don't eat it. One I've noticed on this site lately is "every once [COLOR=FF0000]and[/COLOR] a while" rather than "once in a while". Crazy. People are lazy, and don't perceive consequences that actually exist. Many is the job application that has been binned and laughed at because of errant apostrophes and poor grammar. Did you know, for example, that some loan companies use algorithms where they look at usage and abusage of apostrophes to help calculate an applicant's ability to repay a loan? It does matter, and the people who think it doesn't are mistaken.

[quote name="David in FL" url="/t/59498/the-best-worst-spelling-and-grammar-errors-thread/600_100#post_915415"] I agree with everything here.  Words mean things, or at least they used to. [/quote] Me too. I was raised by a family of readers. My mother ran a bookstore until Chapters made the small independent book seller obsolete. I read "Lord of the Flies" while I was still in elementary school. My children, 5 and 7, have been exposed to books as long as they have been exposed to air. Which one of these dumb-phone toting, semi-literate, lazy bozos of today will be the next John Irving? Yeah, it matters. It matters a lot.

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint: