IGNORED

Tiger is never coming back

TN94z
Note: This thread is 4000 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by BruceMGF

I just don't understand why this is called "The Rory Era".

I'm not sure who is saying this. Rory is looked at by many to be the next star but it's too early to know for sure. Tiger's career took off at about Rory's current age.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I'll go ahead and call it:  Tiger is back.  You heard it here last.

Two things that absolutely impressed me about this win:

(1) only 2 bogeys in his last 54 holes, on an incredibly tough setup.

(2) how incredibly precise his first putts were all day Sunday.  I think he only had one 2nd putt that wasn't a tap-in, and those are tough greens.

Kevin

Titleist 910 D3 9.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Titleist 910F 13.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Adams Idea A12 Pro hybrid 18*; 23* with RIP S flex
Titleist 712 AP2 4-9 iron with KBS C-Taper, S+ flex
Titleist Vokey SM wedges 48*, 52*, 58*
Odyssey White Hot 2-ball mallet, center shaft, 34"

I agree with Ktroop, Tiger has been playing well, and nice win yesterday on a tough setup.

He may even win a major this year. My prediction will be the PGA.

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha 10.5* 

3WD:  Callaway Big Bertha 15* / X2 Hot H4 Hybrid
Irons:  Callaway Apex 4-PW Project X 5.5 shafts

Wedges: Callaway MackDaddy 2  52/58
Putter: Odyessey Metal X Milled 1

He has won 3 of 11 tournaments he entered this year,  27%.  For his career, he won only 26%.

Dan

:tmade: R11s 10.5*, Adila RIP Phenom 60g Stiff
:ping: G20 3W
:callaway: Diablo 3H
:ping:
i20 4-U, KBS Tour Stiff
:vokey: Vokey SM4 54.14 
:vokey: Vokey :) 58.11

:scotty_cameron: Newport 2
:sunmountain: Four 5

I'd just like to state that there is no description about what being back means... He's won three times this year. If he wins another major we'll say why only one, if he passes Jack's record we'll say why not by more... It's a hopeless road for him because his critics are so harsh when people have absolutely no right to be. It is what it is, he's clearly the best golfer in the world. He probably won't have another season like 2000 but he's still amazing and surely has more majors in him. If he plays on the PGA Tour until he's 50... that's 56 more majors approximately. How can you predict that he will not win another major in 56? Haters gonna hate that's what I say

And I think he's #1 in wins, money, and scoring average, right?

Dan

:tmade: R11s 10.5*, Adila RIP Phenom 60g Stiff
:ping: G20 3W
:callaway: Diablo 3H
:ping:
i20 4-U, KBS Tour Stiff
:vokey: Vokey SM4 54.14 
:vokey: Vokey :) 58.11

:scotty_cameron: Newport 2
:sunmountain: Four 5

Originally Posted by dsc123

And I think he's #1 in wins, money, and scoring average, right?

and fedex cup too...

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

[QUOTE] CBS ratings up 188 percent Tiger Woods’ history-making win at the AT&T; National certainly resonated with fans on Sunday. Not only were the crowds at Congressional Country Club massive, the TV viewing audience for CBS was up 188 percent over the final round in 2011. The overnight household share was 4.6/10 (even with ratings for Philadelphia, Washington, D.C.; Baltimore and Columbus, Ohio excluded due to the lingering affects of the storm that knocked out power to millions.) The rating for this year’s final round — where Woods picked up his third PGA TOUR win and passed Jack Nicklaus with 74 PGA TOUR wins — was the highest since the tournament’s 2007 debut. The rating peaked at a 6.8/14 from 6:30-6:45 p.m. ET as Woods’ win was assured. The rating for third-round coverage was up 69 percent over 2011 in the metered markets. Just broadcasting the third round was a challenge due to the storm damage that prompted tournament officials to make the unusual decision to close the course to fans and volunteers.[/QUOTE] As someone said; Tiger doesn't move the needle, he [i]is[/i] the needle.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeph View Post

Quote:
CBS ratings up 188 percent
Tiger Woods’ history-making win at the AT&T; National certainly resonated with fans on Sunday.
Not only were the crowds at Congressional Country Club massive, the TV viewing audience for CBS was up 188 percent over the final round in 2011. The overnight household share was 4.6/10 (even with ratings for Philadelphia, Washington, D.C.; Baltimore and Columbus, Ohio excluded due to the lingering affects of the storm that knocked out power to millions.)
The rating for this year’s final round — where Woods picked up his third PGA TOUR win and passed Jack Nicklaus with 74 PGA TOUR wins — was the highest since the tournament’s 2007 debut. The rating peaked at a 6.8/14 from 6:30-6:45 p.m. ET as Woods’ win was assured.
The rating for third-round coverage was up 69 percent over 2011 in the metered markets. Just broadcasting the third round was a challenge due to the storm damage that prompted tournament officials to make the unusual decision to close the course to fans and volunteers.
As someone said; Tiger doesn't move the needle, he is the needle.

That was never more clear to me than when the entire "gallery" that showed up on Saturday was there to see Tiger.  Even the director of the tournament who was being interviewed on Saturday, when asked about how some fans actually made it onto the grounds, completely attributed it to Tiger Woods saying, "it's hard to keep fans away from Tiger."  He could have easily spun it as "it's a great event and some people just had to get in and see it."

I'm sure if Phil was there he would have had a few guys following him, but guys like Dustin Johnson have won, contended before and have marketing appeal, and yet had zero followers.

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

Originally Posted by bplewis24

That was never more clear to me than when the entire "gallery" that showed up on Saturday was there to see Tiger.  Even the director of the tournament who was being interviewed on Saturday, when asked about how some fans actually made it onto the grounds, completely attributed it to Tiger Woods saying, "it's hard to keep fans away from Tiger."  He could have easily spun it as "it's a great event and some people just had to get in and see it."

I'm sure if Phil was there he would have had a few guys following him, but guys like Dustin Johnson have won, contended before and have marketing appeal, and yet had zero followers.

Yeah I thought it was pretty funny and pretty damn cool when Van Pelt said on Saturday he played in front of a Bo Van Pelt gallery.

Ron :nike: GOLF Embracing my Angry Black Male :mad:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeph View Post

Quote:
CBS ratings up 188 percent
Tiger Woods’ history-making win at the AT&T; National certainly resonated with fans on Sunday.
Not only were the crowds at Congressional Country Club massive, the TV viewing audience for CBS was up 188 percent over the final round in 2011. The overnight household share was 4.6/10 (even with ratings for Philadelphia, Washington, D.C.; Baltimore and Columbus, Ohio excluded due to the lingering affects of the storm that knocked out power to millions.)
The rating for this year’s final round — where Woods picked up his third PGA TOUR win and passed Jack Nicklaus with 74 PGA TOUR wins — was the highest since the tournament’s 2007 debut. The rating peaked at a 6.8/14 from 6:30-6:45 p.m. ET as Woods’ win was assured.
The rating for third-round coverage was up 69 percent over 2011 in the metered markets. Just broadcasting the third round was a challenge due to the storm damage that prompted tournament officials to make the unusual decision to close the course to fans and volunteers.
As someone said; Tiger doesn't move the needle, he is the needle.

We all agree that Tiger is great for golf so why is golf so obsessed with finding the NEXT Tiger? I mean I can understand they want to continue this gravy train but the guy has 10 good years left. Talk about being pro-active.

Ron :nike: GOLF Embracing my Angry Black Male :mad:

He has won 3 of 11 tournaments he entered this year,  27%.  For his career, he won only 26%.

Originally Posted by SamCreamer

I'd just like to state that there is no description about what being back means...

Well, I've been one of the Tiger skeptics this year.  He wasn't showing the ability to close like he did before the accident.  He put himself in position in the two majors through 2 rounds, then faded.  He used to own Saturday; for the first half of this year, he seemed to be dreading it.

My criteria for Tiger being "back" was:  get to his "old" winning averages of 6 wins + 1 major per year; win two in a row; or win 3/6.  Well, he won 2 out of his last 3, and 3 out of his last 7.  "Back" also means not missing cuts; his only MC on the year at Quail Hollow was at even par, which never misses the cut at that event, so I don't count that against him as much (though to be sure it's still a MC).

But the way he played this week--making very few mistakes on a tough layout, and lagging perfectly in every attempt on Sunday--was remarkable.  He never gave an inch of opportunity to his opponent, who played quite well in his own right.  Own your game, and let the pressure eat up the other guy.  It was vintage Tiger.  That, combined with 2/3 & 3/7, says "back" to me.

Tiger rules are back in effect for Fantasy Golf.

Kevin

Titleist 910 D3 9.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Titleist 910F 13.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Adams Idea A12 Pro hybrid 18*; 23* with RIP S flex
Titleist 712 AP2 4-9 iron with KBS C-Taper, S+ flex
Titleist Vokey SM wedges 48*, 52*, 58*
Odyssey White Hot 2-ball mallet, center shaft, 34"

If/when Tiger wins a major, then I expect that golf will explode again - rise in purses, rise in players, etc.

And FWIW - Tiger would currently be #2 in the OWGR if they didn't have a 40 event minimum. He has played 34 events, yet his 312.61 points are divided by 40 giving him 7.81 avg points, use the 34 actual events and his avg points go to 9.19 and he is #2 in the world.

I have been a doubter, but I've seen enough to say that I expect him to win a major within the next year - there isn't another player that I can say that about.

Players play, tough players win!

And FWIW - Tiger would currently be #2 in the OWGR if they didn't have a 40 event minimum. He has played 34 events, yet his 312.61 points are divided by 40 giving him 7.81 avg points, use the 34 actual events and his avg points go to 9.19 and he is #2 in the world.

Correct, and even that understates the case, since the OWGR covers the last two years. Most years, you can get a more accurate indication of who has played the best recently by simply looking at the raw points earned year to date. Tiger's win moved him into first place in that category, with 234 points, well above the second place MCilroy (sic).

Originally Posted by RonTheSavage

We all agree that Tiger is great for golf so why is golf so obsessed with finding the NEXT Tiger? I mean I can understand they want to continue this gravy train but the guy has 10 good years left. Talk about being pro-active.

The media (and perhaps even the PGA Tour) was looking for the next Tiger -  because there was a period of time - where Tiger wasn't around the game.  And many was so upset with what he had done to his image, and tarnished some of the game, that they weren't sure they wanted him back.

Time heals all wounds.

I remember there was a ton of talk about Rickie Fowler before he even won a tournament.  The main reason was because Tiger was outside the ropes, so the media and even the Tour kind of branded him as the 'next' big thing on tour.  Fowler had a unique flair about him, and the Tour thought it would spark interest from kids who would look up to him.  So he received a lot of air time and even commercials highlighting him - again, before he even won a damn thing on tour.

Now that Tiger is back (I think he is back)... The golf universe is back in orbit and you don't hear as much talk about 'Who's next?' Other than a few pundits who like to talk really loud and make it known that they know more than others.

What is "back"?  Same as what is a "Great" Player.  Someone who wins 4-5 events per year , 2 out of 3 consecutive years, or thereabouts,i.e. a player who consistantly is seen by the casual fan as winning, and thus makes the Casual Radar (and thus ratings gold).

Golf is better when there are 2-3 of these types of players at one time.  When there are none, we go into the "Andy North" era again.

So far, there isn't a "next Tiger" and this one seems to be progressing ok this year, but sort of too soon to see a year-long or multi-year trend.

If you want ratings, you need winners.  Tiger delivered and seems to be getting back to delivering again.  Others don't.

Many good players didn't even make the cut.

Exactly -- Luke Donald and Rory McIlroy the Number #1 and 2 players in the world...

Deryck Griffith

Titleist 910 D3: 9.5deg GD Tour AD DI7x | Nike Dymo 3W: 15deg, UST S-flex | Mizuno MP CLK Hybrid: 20deg, Project X Tour Issue 6.5, HC1 Shaft | Mizuno MP-57 4-PW, DG X100 Shaft, 1deg upright | Cleveland CG15 Wedges: 52, 56, 60deg | Scotty Cameron California Del Mar | TaylorMade Penta, TP Black LDP, Nike 20XI-X

Note: This thread is 4000 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!