IGNORED

My Swing (Golfingdad)

Golfingdad
Note: This thread is 1298 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Have you checked your state golf association?  Florida has a ton of single and two-day tournaments throughout the year and located throughout the state.  I keep meaning to start playing in some of them but haven't gotten off my butt yet.  Maybe this year.......

Yes!  They do list a few of the local tournaments here - although there are certainly a lot more.  I know of at least two cities nearby that have Am Championships that aren't on that list.

I've said it before, but my next "big" goal is to be able to play in those state (or even just southern state) qualifiers.  Just glancing through a few of them and it looks like the State Am requires an index below 4.4.  I think the State Mid-Am is 5.4.  Once (if) I'm comfortably beneath that ceiling, I'd really like to try to qualify for those tournaments.

Most of the public courses up around where I live have men's clubs with regular tournaments.

Good call.  I have a "Players card" at Talega, and now that you mention it, I'm almost positive that it gives me access to all of their member tournaments.  I just have to run down there and find the schedule.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Played a great round yesterday:

The double was caused by a dumb setup flaw on the tee.  Ball teed up a tad high and a tad back in my stance ... either by itself would have been fine, but both together led to me going under it and skying it 100 yards and into the trees on the right. :doh:

Otherwise, I was fairly pleased with every aspect except one:

There were 5 holes (#5, 7, 12, 14, 18) where I was between 80-100 yards away from the green and in the middle of the fairway (and one other, #3, where I was 80 out and in the mild rough) and not once did I put myself in a reasonable position to make a birdie.  6 holes from 80-100 yards and I totalled 19 strokes.  I even missed the green entirely on two of them.  I should NEVER take 4 strokes from less than 100 yards, and out of 6 tries, I should definitely be able to get up and down at least once.

Oh well ... woulda, coulda, shoulda.

Is that close to a personal best?  10 straight holes of par or better is outstanding!  I actually had a good round myself last week.  Some of the pieces are starting to come together again.

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

Played a great round yesterday:

The double was caused by a dumb setup flaw on the tee.  Ball teed up a tad high and a tad back in my stance ... either by itself would have been fine, but both together led to me going under it and skying it 100 yards and into the trees on the right.

Otherwise, I was fairly pleased with every aspect except one:

There were 5 holes (#5, 7, 12, 14, 18) where I was between 80-100 yards away from the green and in the middle of the fairway (and one other, #3, where I was 80 out and in the mild rough) and not once did I put myself in a reasonable position to make a birdie.  6 holes from 80-100 yards and I totalled 19 strokes.  I even missed the green entirely on two of them.  I should NEVER take 4 strokes from less than 100 yards, and out of 6 tries, I should definitely be able to get up and down at least once.

Oh well ... woulda, coulda, shoulda.

Yeah, but that 76 is at Rancho San Joaquin, so that doesn't count :-P

Kidding, of course - Great round, GD!

Great round bro! What happened on 15??

Also, how is that course holding up? I might play there this Saturday...

Whoops, sorry I never answered your post Ben.  The course was as it always is.  Nothing great to look at, soggy everywhere, some bare lies and/or weeds in the fairways, etc, etc.  But they allow me to make tee times as a single, and there are always some available early in the morning before the course gets bogged down, and if I play like complete doo-doo there I still come away with an 81 or 82 because there is almost nowhere to get into big trouble.  It's very good for the handicap. :)  (And unlike a lot of other area courses right now, the greens weren't punched, and they were actually in quite decent condition)

On 15, the pin was back right, on the tiny, flattish shelf before it all falls to the front left.  I fatted my tee shot 30 yards short of the green, but hit a pretty good pitch shot that I wanted to make sure got onto that shelf.  So it just went onto the back fringe and left me with about a 12-15' over 18" of fringe ... and luckily it went in, or else it was going at least 5' past (if not off the front of the green, lol).

I'm very encouraged with how things have been going the last couple of weeks.  My number one goal is still to get my legs straighter at impact.  One of the things that Stephan has been pointing out in the model swings (usually Grant Waite) is how his belt buckle is rising and eventually pointing up in the downswing and throughout impact, so that has been one of my feels lately.  Two reasons why I'm encouraged.

1. I have been hitting the ball really high (and still solid, with good distance) lately.
  2. Here are two recent stills.  Green shirt is from February 21, grey stripes is from 2 hours ago.  It looks to me like progress is being made:

Yeah, I recognize that the pictures aren't at the same moment, but the better one is actually further along in the swing by a fraction, and yet it still looks like the legs are straighter, so it's even more encouraging.  The shutter roll reminds me that I need a better camera!

Anyways, feel free to rain on my parade if my excitement is unwarranted! :beer:

Looking good! What's up with the shaft flex though! ;P

Nate

:tmade:(11.5) :touredge:(2H) MIURA MB-101(3-PW) :mizuno:(52/56/60)

:odyssey: :snell: 

Awesome GDaddy! This is more or less my piece right now too. Can't wait to see some of my own progress. Sadly, it snowed last night and is supposed to snow again on Sunday. :cry:

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Looking good!

What's up with the shaft flex though! ;P

He has supersonic hand speed :-P

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

He has supersonic hand speed

Or a buggy whip for iron shafts...

No, you're all wrong.  It was a "check swing" and I'm really, really strong. ;)  Like this:

No, you're all wrong.  It was a "check swing" and I'm really, really strong. ;)

True, but I doubt the club can smell ya. :w00t:

Yours in earnest, Jason.

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Just making conversation. :-)

Yours in earnest, Jason.

Looking good!

First thing that crossed my mind.. When is the last time you were fitted for clubs?  unless it is a camera illusion?

:adams: / :tmade: / :edel: / :aimpoint: / :ecco: / :bushnell: / :gamegolf: / 

Eyad

First thing that crossed my mind.. When is the last time you were fitted for clubs?  unless it is a camera illusion?

Camera illusion. I think it's the shutter speed, rolling shutter effect.

Colin P.

Note: This thread is 1298 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!