IGNORED

My Swing (Golfingdad)

Golfingdad
Note: This thread is 1294 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Is it time to break out the Pipoe and start doing some pitch elbow drills again?

Honestly Drew I think it looks pretty good. Keep up the work with those feels. Wouldn't mind seeing even a little less "stretch" to A4. Only thing I'm not a fan of is the wrist alignments, would like to see less cup in the left wrist and more bend in the right wrist. I wouldn't worry about that for now though.

With your body type it's going to be very hard for you to go 100% pitch elbow. You still want to keep the elbow in front of the shirt seam and not flexing past 90 degrees but you're not going to be able to externally rotate the arm as much as other players. The work you've put in the past year or so to make sure the elbow doesn't slide behind has been important but I don't think you need to pitch it more.

Here's Jason Gore, player with a similar body type as yours. Note the position of his right elbow and the spacing between the elbows, also pretty darn similar to yours.

Even Grant doesn't have a "model" pitch elbow.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator

With your body type it's going to be very hard for you to go 100% pitch elbow.

Here's another fatass player with a similar body type as yours. Note the position of his right elbow and the spacing between the elbows, also pretty darn similar to yours.

Gee, @mvmac , you lift a few kettle bells and suddenly everyone else is chopped liver… :-D

Merry Christmas…

… Prank!

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

[QUOTE name="mvmac" url="/t/60622/my-swing-golfingdad/432#post_1088163"]   With your body type it's going to be very hard for you to go 100% pitch elbow.  Here's another fatass player with a similar body type as yours. Note the position of his right elbow and the spacing between the elbows, also pretty darn similar to yours. [/QUOTE] Gee, @mvmac , you lift a few kettle bells and suddenly everyone else is chopped liver… :-D Merry Christmas… … Prank!

:bugout: At least Gdaddy doesn't eat off of paper plates 3 times a day. That's full-on trailer park boys. :-P

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Gee, @mvmac, you lift a few kettle bells and suddenly everyone else is chopped liver…

Merry Christmas…

… Prank!

LOL, yeah and even I can't go pitch elbow! ;-)

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

So while at the range today I decided to finally get around to doing this:

1) Take all of your wedges to a course or field or something.

2) Hit 10 balls with your first wedge swinging back to whatever you want to call 1/4 position.

3) Hit 10 balls with the same wedge going to half.

4) Hit 10 going back to 3/4.

5) Hit 10 with a full swing (skip this for the lob wedge perhaps).

6) Write down the distances they carry.

7) Repeat for other wedges.

I had a few snags - for some reason when I tried to hit partial shots with my UW, I was hitting mostly shanks - so I abandoned that one.  And because my full backswing isn't terribly long, I didn't really have a feel for what would be a 3/4 swing.  My 1/4 swing feels like it's to A2, and my 1/2 swing feels like A3.  I was trying to fill in a range of distances, so I also threw in a "choked up full swing" to see what else that might help me.  Anyway, here's what I came up with:

1/4               1/2              full             choked

UW          -                   -                125               115

SW          30                55             105                 95

LW          25                 35              90                  80

So my dilemma, as you can see, is that I have a big gap between 55 and 80 that needs filling.  I think the answer is that I need to "find" a comfortable 3/4 swing.  The 3/4 LW will like fall in the 60-ish range and the 3/4 SW will likely fall in the 75-80 range.

Do that and I'll have the "perfect" shot for almost every distance from 25 and up.  Ideally I could get that 1/2 LW up to 40-45, but at least its a start.

Drew, can you tell us what lofts your wedges are..? For me, I hit a 52 about 15 yds farther tha I hit my 54..Just trying to get a sense of your yardages vs lofts... ;-)

I know the 15 yards sounds strange, but for some unknown reason I seem to hit the 52 better...BTW, it's my Son's club.

Drew, can you tell us what lofts your wedges are..? For me, I hit a 52 about 15 yds farther tha I hit my 54..Just trying to get a sense of your yardages vs lofts...;-)   I know the 15 yards sounds strange, but for some unknown reason I seem to hit the 52 better...BTW, it's my Son's club.

You should replace your whole set with your son's clubs ;-)

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Quote:

Originally Posted by iacas

2) Hit 10 balls with your first wedge swinging back to whatever you want to call 1/4 position.

I had a few snags - for some reason when I tried to hit partial shots with my UW, I was hitting mostly shanks - so I abandoned that one.  And because my full backswing isn't terribly long, I didn't really have a feel for what would be a 3/4 swing.  My 1/4 swing feels like it's to A2, and my 1/2 swing feels like A3.  I was trying to fill in a range of distances, so I also threw in a "choked up full swing" to see what else that might help me.  Anyway, here's what I came up with:

So my dilemma, as you can see, is that I have a big gap between 55 and 80 that needs filling.  I think the answer is that I need to "find" a comfortable 3/4 swing.  The 3/4 LW will like fall in the 60-ish range and the 3/4 SW will likely fall in the 75-80 range.

Do that and I'll have the "perfect" shot for almost every distance from 25 and up.  Ideally I could get that 1/2 LW up to 40-45, but at least its a start.

@mvmac told me that the "3/4" swing is an approximation, not a definitive arm position.  I only worked on 1/2 and 3/4.  When you get a sense of 1/2, you just go up a tad more for 3/4 but not all the way.  It actually could be a very small visual difference (maybe 10 degrees of rotation) but the feeling will be 3/4.  This should take care of the gap.

For me it is the following:

1/2               3/4              full

PW          80               100            125

52            60               80              100

58            50               60              85

I think of it more as a percentage.  3/4 swing is ~ 20% off the distance.  1/2 swing is ~40% off.  This applies to other clubs too like the 9 and 8 iron.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Drew, can you tell us what lofts your wedges are..?

Sure, UW is 50, SW is 54.5' and LW is 59 [quote name="boogielicious" url="/t/60622/my-swing-golfingdad/420_30#post_1088611"] @mvmac told me that the "3/4" swing is an approximation, not a definitive arm position.  I only worked on 1/2 and 3/4.  When you get a sense of 1/2, you just go up a tad more for 3/4 but not all the way.  It actually could be a very small visual difference (maybe 10 degrees of rotation) but the feeling will be 3/4.  This should take care of the gap. For me it is the following:                [U]1/2               3/4              full             [/U] PW          80               100            125             52            60               80              100               58            50               60              85              I think of it more as a percentage.  3/4 swing is ~ 20% off the distance.  1/2 swing is ~40% off.  This applies to other clubs too like the 9 and 8 iron. [/quote]Yeah, that makes sense. Anything that's a little further than 1/2 will help, you're right. Thanks!

Quote:

I have yet to do this, but I'm not sure I want to. I have pretty good results from just looking at the flag and getting a feel for the distance. Then I choose my wedge based on what kind of trajectory and release I'm visualizing and just make the swing. I look at it like putting, see the shot, feel the "weight" required and then make the stroke.

@Golfingdad , when you're putting do you think about how far back to take the putter or do you let your instincts/feel guide you when it comes to distance control? I know some people like to warm up on the putting green by making putts where they take the putter back to inline with their trail foot to see how far it goes and then repeat with halfway to the back foot, 6" past the back foot etc...I have never liked that way of putting and find it makes my stroke very stiff and non-flowing. I view partial swings like pitches and chips the same way.

Of course, I'm about a 20 something and you're a 5 so I ain't ruling out the possibility that I should change my approach, but my recollection of my partial swings is that I usually stick them reasonably close just by making a few practice swings while looking at the target to get a feel for the "weight". When I try a more mathematical or technical approach I risk losing all feel and either flubbing the shot in some way or missing my distance way short or way long.

Yours in earnest, Jason.

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Golfingdad

Quote:

I have yet to do this, but I'm not sure I want to. I have pretty good results from just looking at the flag and getting a feel for the distance. Then I choose my wedge based on what kind of trajectory and release I'm visualizing and just make the swing. I look at it like putting, see the shot, feel the "weight" required and then make the stroke.

@Golfingdad , when you're putting do you think about how far back to take the putter or do you let your instincts/feel guide you when it comes to distance control? I know some people like to warm up on the putting green by making putts where they take the putter back to inline with their trail foot to see how far it goes and then repeat with halfway to the back foot, 6" past the back foot etc...I have never liked that way of putting and find it makes my stroke very stiff and non-flowing. I view partial swings like pitches and chips the same way.

Of course, I'm about a 20 something and you're a 5 so I ain't ruling out the possibility that I should change my approach, but my recollection of my partial swings is that I usually stick them reasonably close just by making a few practice swings while looking at the target to get a feel for the "weight". When I try a more mathematical or technical approach I risk losing all feel and either flubbing the shot in some way or missing my distance way short or way long.

Missed my edit window (damn all you who conspire against me!!!) but I wanted to add this:

EDIT* just to add to the "weight" comment, when taking the putter back I never really pay attention to the distance it travels but I do note how heavy it feels. The farther back I take it, the heavier it feels and I've gotten pretty good at understanding how that weight translates as energy into the ball. The advantage (in my mind) is that I don't have to take my focus off of the ball to sense the weight whereas I would need to at least divide my attention to monitor the distance I take it back.

Anywho...probably drifting :offtopic: .

Yours in earnest, Jason.

That first sentence is EXACTLY how I felt from the first moment I read about Erik's distance stickers.  It seemed clever, yet, so, I don't know, robotic??  I could always just do as you do, and get a feel for the shot from using my eyes.

Then, after learning the "quickie pitch technique" and getting fairly proficient at it, I realized that a "full swing" with that technique - which also happens to be my 1/2 swing on the chart I made yesterday - goes about 55 yards.  I started becoming a lot more confident with pitches between 50-60 because of that.  (For a while I felt a little silly breaking out the range finder from 50 yards, but a couple of tap in birdies helped me get over that real quick. ;))

But the real reason I decided to try this is because I have found I have this sort of no mans land between 55 (full pitch) and about 90 (full LW).  I hadn't yet figured out a "go-to" shot for any of those distances and thought that maybe this would help.  With @boogielicious 's advice, I think next time out, I'll work on finding my 3/4 swings with each wedge and hopefully they'll slot right in.  Of course, then it's off to the course, and we'll have to wait and see if it helps or not.

@Golfingdad , when you're putting do you think about how far back to take the putter or do you let your instincts/feel guide you when it comes to distance control? I know some people like to warm up on the putting green by making putts where they take the putter back to inline with their trail foot to see how far it goes and then repeat with halfway to the back foot, 6" past the back foot etc...I have never liked that way of putting and find it makes my stroke very stiff and non-flowing. I view partial swings like pitches and chips the same way.

Nope ... all feel.  Now, that said, I was intrigued by something @iacas mentioned in our Aimpoint class.  The drill I liked the most was the distance control drill where you just putt straight putts 15' to a string back and forth.  If you practice that enough at the same course you'll get a good read on the length of that backswing, and you'll know that course's stimp, then each time you play a round on a different course, you already have a baseline for a 15' putt backswing.

I still haven't really worked on this though, kind of for the same reason you're hesitant to try the wedges.  A little too mechanical on one hand, and also (shh, don't tell) I don't practice putting enough to get this down.

Of course, I'm about a 20 something and you're a 5 so I ain't ruling out the possibility that I should change my approach, but my recollection of my partial swings is that I usually stick them reasonably close just by making a few practice swings while looking at the target to get a feel for the "weight". When I try a more mathematical or technical approach I risk losing all feel and either flubbing the shot in some way or missing my distance way short or way long.

I hear ya.  However, I don't think I'm going to "lose" (permanently) any feel for these shots, I'll just not have it while I'm trying the mechanical route.  If this fails, I'll go back to the "feel" type of short game.

Missed my edit window (damn all you who conspire against me!!!) but I wanted to add this:

EDIT* just to add to the "weight" comment, when taking the putter back I never really pay attention to the distance it travels but I do note how heavy it feels. The farther back I take it, the heavier it feels and I've gotten pretty good at understanding how that weight translates as energy into the ball. The advantage (in my mind) is that I don't have to take my focus off of the ball to sense the weight whereas I would need to at least divide my attention to monitor the distance I take it back.

Anywho...probably drifting .

No way.  Not off topic at all.  Anything that leads to us improving is on-topic of this thread.  Unless it helps any of you "easterners" more than me and you play in the Newport Cup.  In which case ... ***k you!

:beer:

A little too mechanical on one hand, and also (shh, don't tell) I don't practice putting enough to get this down.

Lol, me too, I never practice my putting except for maybe a few minutes while waiting to tee off and that's not really practicing, that's just figuring out the stimp.

Putting's for arseholes. :-$

Yours in earnest, Jason.

Lol, me too, I never practice my putting except for maybe a few minutes while waiting to tee off and that's not really practicing, that's just figuring out the stimp. [SPOILER=Warning: Spoiler!]Putting's for arseholes. :-$ [/SPOILER]

Well, you guys aren't alone.. I just don't lose enough strokes putting to justify practice.. Let's put it this way, if And when I start hitting 50%+ GIR I'll start worrying about putting :)

:adams: / :tmade: / :edel: / :aimpoint: / :ecco: / :bushnell: / :gamegolf: / 

Eyad

• Administrator

1/4: around A2.

3/4: around A3 which is about when my left shoulder just touches my chin.

1/2 is between those two. :)

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

1/4: around A2.

3/4: around A3 which is about when my left shoulder just touches my chin.

1/2 is between those two. :)

OK, so apparently I was doing this wrong.  ( @Ernest Jones this is for you too since we were discussing this earlier).

For my 1/4 and 1/2 swings I was also using pitching techniques for the swings, not full swing techniques.  Further, it was pointed out above by Erik that my 1/2 swing is probably closer to what should be 3/4.  I figured it was 1/2 simply because of the distance I was getting.  But I was only getting that distance because I was pitching, not swinging.  Now I'm quite excited to re-do these partial wedge swings so I can fill in those missing distances.  Further, I'll probably "acquire" another option for the 35-55 range with the 1/4 swings.  55 won't always necessarily be the "full" pitch, but could perhaps be a lower checking "full swing."

Anyways, I was able to get out for 18 today and (Jason, this is the part I think you'll be interested in) had a few chances to use my partial distances.  I think I'm going to like this and stick with it over my old "feel" style, because of the extra confidence I felt knowing I had the right shot.  Basically, the same way I feel with Aimpoint.  Feeling the shot, I may have gotten it right often, but it was still kind of just a guess.  Today I had a few shots with my wedges that turned out pretty good and there was no guessing.

Also, unrelated, but today I tried putting today for the first time without having my right index finger going straight down the back of the shaft.  It felt good and I putted really well.  Didn't really make much of anything, but the distance control was really good.

Note: This thread is 1294 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!