IGNORED

My Swing (Jetfan1983)

JetFan1983

Quote:

Originally Posted by JetFan1983

I guess I was just asking if you guys saw anything glaringly stupid that I was doing, just in case I had tunnel vision and couldn't see it. I know the shaft steepens in the early downswing, so that's probably related to the low exit point and maybe the heel hit? Regardless, I should probably work on shallow anyway.

Have you seen this video?

Yes, I have. Very informative. Watched it a couple times.

Your swing is a lot less wild than mine, but if it's anything like what I'm working on, the steep transition causes you to throw the hands out in order to shallow the club, which leads to the clubhead overtaking the hands too quickly and thus the low left exit.

The heel hit (my miss, as well) is what happens when the timing of the throwing move is off and the sweetspot gets too far outside the ball.

I think you're dead on with this assessment. Also, I think if you had the time to play every day, you'd be a very low handicap player, but that's off-topic.

Quote:

Originally Posted by JetFan1983

I do like the backswing aside from it being too shallow at 3. And the downswing looks okay aside from being too steep at 5.

Steeper at A3 and shallower at A5, then

Really, your swing looks good. If I can get my backswing even half as good as yours, I'd be able to play some pretty good golf.

Yea, but the important thing I should mention here about that swing video is that what you are seeing is a very, very fragilé motion. I'm juggling multiple swing thoughts to get the picture to look like that. Right arm fold, short backswing, open hips etc. The clip is somewhat cherry picked from 6 or 7 I filmed, even though the backswing was pretty consistent throughout the session. The downswing however varied wildly. Anyway. Just full disclosure there.

Still, thanks for the compliment.

Quote:

I do like the backswing aside from it being too shallow at 3. And the downswing looks okay aside from being too steep at 5.

Nice to know we're basically working on the EXACT same thing.

So we do we just flip flop those two positions?  Turn our 5's into our 3's and our 3's into our 5's??

My feel right now for that is to try and come STRAIGHT UP from A2 to A4.  It's definitely helping my A3 ... but hasn't yet translated into much difference at 5.  (Side Note:  Old Enough to randomly came up on my headphones. ;))  For that, I'm experimenting with an older feel I got from Stephan - the "revving" move to try and lay the shaft down at A4+.

"When I was young I thought I knew

youre probably thinking you know too

well, do you?

well, do you?"

OK, now I have to include that song in the thread. Haven't listened to it in a while.

Yea, I feel like I need more armpit reconnection on the downswing to keep my arms in -- arms out, club head forced shallows by 6 (super strong grip helped with this). With a neutral grip, I can't get away with that anymore.

My arms would get out and away from me, so I feel like this is an important downswing motion I should practice. I'm basically trying to do that in the DTL driver video. I just need the trust that shallowing won't make me swing too much from the inside.

Granted, my arms weren't shifting out that much in that cherry picked swing clip I posted, but they were in the others, with the club head thrown way outside the hands at 6.

Anyway...

Constantine

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Granted, my arms weren't shifting out that much in that cherry picked swing clip I posted, but they were in the others, with the club head thrown way outside the hands at 6.

Anyway...

The photo on the right looks like the shaft is breaking at the grip!  Optical illusion I'm guessing due to the digital camera.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

• 3 weeks later...
  • Administrator

We'd have had more time to get some after images if Constantine wasn't talking so much between shots. :) Teasing a bit, but it leads to a valuable bit of advice: the time for this stuff ( ) is when you're on your own, practicing. When you're taking a lesson, there's value in repetition under the watchful eye of a guy (or two!) that know what they're doing.

So… that's why there are no afters of the second portion of the stuff (we had to tee off and were surprised that it was already time).

P.S. We also moved your ball more forward with the driver a little bit, but otherwise, the same fixes plus the one noted in the images.

• Upvote 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

@iacas  and @mvmac are worth the time and money to see them, guys. Just saying.

Thanks, guys!  Just a really, really great (and fun) lesson!

Great work!!  Now shut up and listen more next time!!!!! ;-)

Really excited to hear that you cured your driver yips so easily.  Me next please!

Awesome!!!

Good for you.

-Matt-

"does it still count as a hit fairway if it is the next one over"

DRIVER-Callaway FTiz__3 WOOD-Nike SQ Dymo 15__HYBRIDS-3,4,5 Adams__IRONS-6-PW Adams__WEDGES-50,55,60 Wilson Harmonized__PUTTER-Odyssey Dual Force Rossie II

@iacas  and @mvmac are worth the time and money to see them, guys. Just saying.

Thanks, guys!  Just a really, really great (and fun) lesson!

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Awesome. Great stuff!

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

• 4 weeks later...

I've definitely hit a major slump. Long story short (South Park reference), I was hitting it the best I've ever hit it in the weeks after my lesson with Erik and Mike, but then my elbow tendonitis flared up and I lost two weeks. I came back this week, practicing every day for the past five days, and I'm hitting it horribly. Oh well. I didn't bring my camera to the range, so I had someone film my swing with my iPhone… hopefully the angles and such are decent enough to make these useful for us.

With the five iron, I'm no doubt swinging waaaaay OTT and steep. Hmmm, probably a product of feeling so much hip rotation and the upper body coming with it. My guess is I need to feel a big time shallowing move? I could be wrong.

Anyway, I'm excited how I've shortened my backswing. That's pretty cool. Again, I was hitting it amazing before my injury, but yesterday I must've hit like sixty 5-irons and didn't hit one solid. Hmmmm.

I know the first swing the camera angle sucks, so I got my camera man to move over to the left more. I'm using a 5-iron and a 3-wood. Poor contact, weak push fades, or pulls and pull slices were the fun ball flights. :doh:

Again, I hope the video quality isn't too horrendous here. Probably better when downloaded.

Help is much appreciated.

And if these clips are indeed too shitty to be useable, I'll head to the range ASAP to get better ones.

Constantine

You say you're coming down OTT, and the first thing I notice is how shallow and deep your backswing appears. The former could be a product of the latter, no? I've had that issue too and am in the process of curing it be just feeling like I'm going STRAIGHT UP, and I mean straight up!, from A2 to A4. Something to consider at least. (I still say it's also possible it's just the beard though

You say you're coming down OTT, and the first thing I notice is how shallow and deep your backswing appears. The former could be a product of the latter, no? I've had that issue too and am in the process of curing it be just feeling like I'm going STRAIGHT UP, and I mean straight up!, from A2 to A4.

Something to consider at least.

(I still say it's also possible it's just the beard though

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

I noticed with your 3 wood your head is going down and back on your backswing as if your straining to get more length in the backswing and it's causing you to move your head.

Joe Paradiso

• Administrator

@JetFan1983 , let's get some good high-speed video from some good angles, okay? Yeah, you're probably a bit steep/OTT. But… short of doing what Barney @Golfingdad said, I'd be reluctant to work on anything much before narrowing it down.

I still want to get that little "loose sloppy" thing out of the top of your backswing. You need a bit more wall through the transition. Don't let your wrists collapse and soften during transition. That doesn't mean throw out your angles, it just means don't let them "sag" or go "saggy" or "sloppy" at the top.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I still want to get that little "loose sloppy" thing out of the top of your backswing. You need a bit more wall through the transition. Don't let your wrists collapse and soften during transition. That doesn't mean throw out your angles, it just means don't let them "sag" or go "saggy" or "sloppy" at the top.

Yes @JetFan1983 stay conscious of the wall feel longer.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

• 1 month later...

Today was my first day back hitting balls after a four week layoff due to a right wrist injury. I also took two weeks off prior to that because the wrist was hurting me even before then, but I came back too early that time. Today felt good! I think it's healed. Fingers crossed.

I practiced for a couple hours today. I worked on wall and explode (short backswing, open hips on downswing) and steep-to-shallow (steeper shaft on backswing, shallow shaft on downswing).

Looking back at it now on Analyzr, there are some things I can clean up… seem to be under doing some things and over-doing others, but I was wondering if the motion I'm making in these videos here are "on the right track," so to speak.

I'm a tad concerned about the shuttish club face at A4, but not sure if that's something I should care about.

Anyway… thoughts?

9-iron. Drill swing. Ball went like 70 yards. I kind of like this aside from the horrendous exit point. Overdoing some things, so I'm not sure if this is okay to keep practicing or not.

7-iron I think. Another drill swing:

Driver. Full swing. Good result.

3-wood. Drill swing. Pulled. Went about 145 yards or something?

Driver, regular speed. Good result. Small pull fade.

Felt good to be back! Even though I shanked like my first five balls, this was a positive session.

Constantine

Sorry, I should've responded to these a while ago. I appreciate the posts. I think I planned on responding, then put it off, then got hurt, then didn't want to think about my swing for a while….

I noticed with your 3 wood your head is going down and back on your backswing as if your straining to get more length in the backswing and it's causing you to move your head.

Yea, I've always had this tendency since I stopped doing S&T.; I tend to overdo the "shift back" thing now, which lemme tell you, is easier to still hit the ball compared to overdoing it the other way :-D . It's something I monitor in the mirror occasionally. I'd like to be more centered whenever that becomes the priority for me.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Golfingdad

You say you're coming down OTT, and the first thing I notice is how shallow and deep your backswing appears. The former could be a product of the latter, no? I've had that issue too and am in the process of curing it be just feeling like I'm going STRAIGHT UP, and I mean straight up!, from A2 to A4.

Something to consider at least.

(I still say it's also possible it's just the beard though

Constantine

• Administrator

Looking back at it now on Analyzr, there are some things I can clean up… seem to be under doing some things and over-doing others, but I was wondering if the motion I'm making in these videos here are "on the right track," so to speak.

Here's the only thing I'd worry about in addition to your (small) list of things: the feeling during the early part of the takeaway with the longer clubs of not shoving your hands and the clubhead out away. The thing that cleans up simply by me standing there. You know what I mean. Will take the little pull pattern to more of a push pattern with draws.

Your clubface is not closed, btw. It's fine.

It's not a problem now, but make sure the right elbow doesn't migrate too much farther back around the shirt seam. It's near the limit now. In transition don't let it almost gets pushed back more.

• Upvote 1

Quote:

Here's the only thing I'd worry about in addition to your (small) list of things: the feeling during the early part of the takeaway with the longer clubs of not shoving your hands and the clubhead out away. The thing that cleans up simply by me standing there. You know what I mean. Will take the little pull pattern to more of a push pattern with draws.

Your clubface is not closed, btw. It's fine.

It's not a problem now, but make sure the right elbow doesn't migrate too much farther back around the shirt seam. It's near the limit now. In transition don't let it almost gets pushed back more.

OK, appreciate it, Erik, as always.

Just to remind myself with that Erik-Standing-There-Next-to-Me Drill… I want to "feel" (maybe not the right word, maybe I just want it there) that the club head is where I put the red line, and my hands are where the orange line is:

Sort of what Koch is doing on the left.

Constantine