IGNORED

5SK Video Thread

iacas
Note: This thread is 3043 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

The last of the four videos @mvmac and I filmed in San Diego. Enjoy!

I expect 20% of the ad revenues for using my swing as the left video.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1.  Get into your setup stance with a 6-iron.

2. Keeping your body angle and alignment, place the 6-iron across your shoulders with your palms on the club facing forward.

3. Rotate your shoulders and hips as you would in your normal back swing and hold for 15 seconds.  I focus on where the club is pointing and try to stretch it past a 90 degree turn.

I like it, we did something similar with the stick in the belt drill. Good for golfers to learn that the top of the backswing, held for 15 seconds with the right amount of bending and stretching, isn't a "comfortable" position.

The last of the four videos @mvmac and I filmed in San Diego. Enjoy!

:beer:

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

I expect 20% of the ad revenues for using my swing as the left video.

I'll split it with you. I swore he was using my swing as a model on the left.;-)

Jim Morgan

Driver: :callaway: GBB Epic Speed 10.5 deg Reg
Woods: 3W :callaway: Epic Flash 15 deg, Heavenwood:callaway:GBB 20 deg
4 Hybrid: :callaway:  Epic Flash 21 deg, 5 Hybird: :callaway: Apex 24 deg
Irons: :ping: G425 Graphite 6-SW, Wedges: :ping: Glide 58 deg
Putter: :bettinardi: Armlock  :aimpoint: Express
 :titleist: golf bag, Blue Tees RF

Quote:

Originally Posted by boogielicious

1.  Get into your setup stance with a 6-iron.

2. Keeping your body angle and alignment, place the 6-iron across your shoulders with your palms on the club facing forward.

3. Rotate your shoulders and hips as you would in your normal back swing and hold for 15 seconds.  I focus on where the club is pointing and try to stretch it past a 90 degree turn.

I like it, we did something similar with the stick in the belt drill. Good for golfers to learn that the top of the backswing, held for 15 seconds with the right amount of bending and stretching, isn't a "comfortable" position.

I don't think anyone would ever accuse me of being a golfer but it certainly wasn't comfortable.  Haha

Christian

:tmade::titleist:  :leupold:  :aimpoint: :gamegolf:

Thank our New Brunswick member @Foursum Golf for this one.  I also do a similar drill with a club and do A1 - finish and hold each position for 10-15 seconds.  It is more to build strength, but I think it is good rehearsal for each position.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

I'll split it with you. I swore he was using my swing as a model on the left.;-)

We are going to have to split that 3 ways. I thought I was watching myself there.

Michael

There is no "rule" for how much for each club. For a mid iron, we generally see good players turned about 80-90 degrees by A3 (left arm parallel to the ground on the backswing).  Shorter clubs might be a little bit less, longer clubs will be more.

Mini tour player on the left, PGA Tour player on the right. With your swing I don't think it's a flexibility or ability thing, it's more of a "doing" thing. Meaning you just have to put in the reps and do it, feel like you are turned 90 degrees by A3

Are both of these positions "good" wasn't sure if the implication was that the one on the right was better or depending on flexibility both are ok?

Titelist 910 D2
r7 draw irons
Seemore FGP
lots of different balls

• Administrator

Are both of these positions "good" wasn't sure if the implication was that the one on the right was better or depending on flexibility both are ok?

They're both examples of good.

The left one here is an example of bad:

• Upvote 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Yes both examples of good turning rates. Bad example would be a player turned much less by A3 (left arm parallel to the ground on the backswing).

EDIT: @iacas beat me to it ;-)

• Upvote 1

Mike McLoughlin

Im working on Key 1 and Im wondering am I supposed to maintain some flex in my back knee(or leg) or is it supposed to be fairly straight at the top of my backswing? Watching the video above it looks like Erik's back knee looks pretty straight at the top of his backswing.

• Administrator

Im working on Key 1 and Im wondering am I supposed to maintain some flex in my back knee(or leg) or is it supposed to be fairly straight at the top of my backswing? Watching the video above it looks like Erik's back knee looks pretty straight at the top of his backswing.

Pants mask it a bit. You can see there's still some flex here:

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Originally Posted by iacas

Pants mask it a bit. You can see there's still some flex here:

Does it feel like  the weight on the inside of your back foot and on the ball of your front foot?  When Im looking in the mirror trying to keep my head steady thats where I feel pressure.

Does it feel like  the weight on the inside of your back foot and on the ball of your front foot?  When Im looking in the mirror trying to keep my head steady thats where I feel pressure.

If that's where you feel it and Key #1 is good, then that's where you feel it. But I wouldn't necessarily say that's your "swing thought" to achieve Key #1 properly.

I would make sure that the knee isn't "kicked in" at address, would inhibit your ability to release flex in the rear knee, reason why having the right foot turned out is important. So if that's where you feel it, that's fine, but I wouldn't overdo it.

I normally don't think about it but if I was to take a backswing and pause (very scientific ;-) ) I feel like it's pretty balanced from side to side with the weight slightly favoring the heel. Some golfers can tend to roll the weight onto the outside of their foot because the hips slide back and don't rotate. So for that golfer, the hips turning, right knee releasing some flex, it may feel like the pressure is more towards the instep of the foot.

Here's Dave and Grant at A4

Mike McLoughlin

Thank you Mike. I'm going to try to get to the range today. Im really trying to get a feel in mind for key 1 and thought I stumbled upon one.

Thank you Mike. I'm going to try to get to the range today. Im really trying to get a feel in mind for key 1 and thought I stumbled upon one.

Yeah sorry didn't mean to "kill" your swing thought ;-) Going to post something I think you can feel on your swing thread now.

Mike McLoughlin

• 4 weeks later...
Ok.. Watched this video 5 times .. And honestly this 5 sk system can apply to any and all golf methods .. If you follow a method correctly. , work at it .. And grind it out . Than you will hit all the guidelines and prerequisites in the video . I agree with it , not sure if it is the best video I ever watched ..but that is just my opinion . I'm close to hitting all of the requirements , but again I'm using different drills and a totally different system . So my question ? Does this pertain to every method ,? If yes, than any method could really put their name on this video .. Just my takes .. But a nice watch during these cold winter nights we had. .. Laterz

Like working on the swing,,score means nothing to me. Might just go to the range and give up playing... ( might happen)

Ok.. Watched this video 5 times .. And honestly this 5 sk system can apply to any and all golf methods .. If you follow a method correctly. , work at it .. And grind it out . Than you will hit all the guidelines and prerequisites in the video . I agree with it , not sure if it is the best video I ever watched ..but that is just my opinion . I'm close to hitting all of the requirements , but again I'm using different drills and a totally different system . So my question ? Does this pertain to every method ,? If yes, than any method could really put their name on this video .. Just my takes .. But a nice watch during these cold winter nights we had. ..

Laterz

5SK is a system of prioritization utilizing the commonalities of the game's best players. To answer your question, 5SK isn't specific to any particular swing or method. You could be a Leadbetter guy, One Plane guy and still work on or teach the Keys.

You couldn't just put any method in the DVD because methods differ from each other, the commonalities of great players don't. Few example, here are a few differences with the address position for different methods: Gary Edwin likes to see a reverse K, Jim Hardy likes players bent over more for a one plane swing, Mac O'Grady wants a strong grip and head tilted 5 degrees to the right.

So the point is, you can have all these different "styles" but don't waste your time or lose sight of the things that really matter. Rather than fit you into a swing, 5SK teaches you HOW to perform each Key. Reason we have threads like this.

Mike McLoughlin

Ok.. Watched this video 5 times .. And honestly this 5 sk system can apply to any and all golf methods .. If you follow a method correctly. , work at it .. And grind it out . Than you will hit all the guidelines and prerequisites in the video . I agree with it , not sure if it is the best video I ever watched ..but that is just my opinion . I'm close to hitting all of the requirements , but again I'm using different drills and a totally different system . So my question ? Does this pertain to every method ,? If yes, than any method could really put their name on this video .. Just my takes .. But a nice watch during these cold winter nights we had. ..

Laterz

I've always got a lot out of the 5SK DVDs, but used to think other DVDs such as the S&T; videos were a bit better because of the level of detail they get into as well as the high production value, While I'm still an admire Bennett and Plummer and have gotten a lot out of their videos, I've come to realize that the beauty of the 5SK DVDs is precisely because they do not get bogged down in details. As a high handicap player, I've found that I continue to go back to the 5SK DVDs and have a better understanding on of the importance of what they're trying to get across. Just my 2 cents.

Brands I use:

:tmade::cobra: :titleist: 

Note: This thread is 3043 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!