IGNORED

Anchored Putters Rules Change (Effective January 1, 2016)

mvmac
Note: This thread is 2528 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by JerseyThursday

Good for him. What’s the problem?

Never mind.

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

Originally Posted by Chas

Dave67: This is a bit silly. Neither Tiger nor any other sensible person is going to seriously handicap himself in his competitive performance by not doing something perfectly legal - like lift clean and place - because he thinks it ought to be illegal (if he in fact believes that). Obviously, he was using the word "cheat" in that context somewhat facetiously. No, there is nothing immoral, unethical or otherwise improper about his position.

To suggest otherwise is somewhat disingenuous, to use a pretty word for it.

Whatever else Tiger is or is not as a person he is a respecter of the rules and traditions of the game of golf. Sheesh ....

Clearly I live in a fantasy world where only on my television are there interviews with PGA Tour members who have been quite vocal about how they (1) think that using an anchored stroke provides an advantage by eliminating the "yips", something that is essential to the game yet (2) have NOT switched to it, even though it provides what they believe is an advantage because they feel it's an illegal stroke.

Clearly I'm completely silly in thinking these golfers exist, just as I was disingenuous in thinking that Ernie was being serious all those years he spoke out about the need to ban anchored putting.

I guess I didn't get the joke, Ernie.  Didn't realize you were just trying to be funny.

Originally Posted by dave67az

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chas

Dave67: This is a bit silly. Neither Tiger nor any other sensible person is going to seriously handicap himself in his competitive performance by not doing something perfectly legal - like lift clean and place - because he thinks it ought to be illegal (if he in fact believes that). Obviously, he was using the word "cheat" in that context somewhat facetiously. No, there is nothing immoral, unethical or otherwise improper about his position.

To suggest otherwise is somewhat disingenuous, to use a pretty word for it.

Whatever else Tiger is or is not as a person he is a respecter of the rules and traditions of the game of golf. Sheesh ....

Clearly I live in a fantasy world where only on my television are there interviews with PGA Tour members who have been quite vocal about how they (1) think that using an anchored stroke provides an advantage by eliminating the "yips", something that is essential to the game yet (2) have NOT switched to it, even though it provides what they believe is an advantage because they feel it's an illegal stroke.

Clearly I'm completely silly in thinking these golfers exist, just as I was disingenuous in thinking that Ernie was being serious all those years he spoke out about the need to ban anchored putting.

I guess I didn't get the joke, Ernie.  Didn't realize you were just trying to be funny.

You may have misheard these interviews, or are remembering them incorrectly. I watch a lot of golf and I've never heard any golfer say they feel the anchored stroke is illegal. I've heard them say things like it "should" be illegal, or is "not the way golf was meant to be played", or "not in the spirit of the game." But I doubt you'd be able to find a single example, either in video or print, of any PGA Tour member who says they haven't switched to anchoring because they "feel it's an illegal stroke", as you are claiming.

Bill

Intentionally or accidently people can be hypocrites.  I'm sure during the time Ernie spoke out against anchored putting he was sincere because at that time his regular non-anchored putting stroke was working okay for him.

Now that he's struggling with the short putter he's going to give anchored putting a try.  His likely position on the hypocrisy is others have been using an anchored stroke for years so why should I struggle with a short putter if the anchored stroke will provide me with a better chance to win the next 3 years.

This is no different than people out there complaining about the free loaders on welfare and the unemployment abusers who when faced with their own mis-fortune turn to the systems for assistance that they criticized others for utilizing and using the justification that if everyone is milking the system, I'm entitled to get my piece too.

That's life, unfortunately, I think the problem is your expectations of people are a bit too high.

Joe Paradiso

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

You may have misheard these interviews, or are remembering them incorrectly. I watch a lot of golf and I've never heard any golfer say they feel the anchored stroke is illegal. I've heard them say things like it "should" be illegal, or is "not the way golf was meant to be played", or "not in the spirit of the game." But I doubt you'd be able to find a single example, either in video or print, of any PGA Tour member who says they haven't switched to anchoring because they "feel it's an illegal stroke", as you are claiming.

Agree, I've never heard a pro golfer say so either. I'd like to see video or other evidence that a pro believes that anchored putting is against the current rules of the game of golf.

Driver: Cobra 460SZ 9.0, med.
3 Wood: Taylor stiff
3-hybrid: Nike 18 deg stiff
4-hybrid:
Taylor RBZ 22 deg regular
Irons:5-9, Mizuno MP30, steel
Wedges: PW, 52, 56, 60 Mizuno MP30
Putter: Odyssey 2-ball

Intentionally or accidently people can be hypocrites.  I'm sure during the time Ernie spoke out against anchored putting he was sincere because at that time his regular non-anchored putting stroke was working okay for him.  Now that he's struggling with the short putter he's going to give anchored putting a try.  His likely position on the hypocrisy is others have been using an anchored stroke for years so why should I struggle with a short putter if the anchored stroke will provide me with a better chance to win the next 3 years.

There is nothing hypocritical in Ernie's behavior in this matter. There's clearly no point in trying further to explain why that is. Respectfully, Chas.

Driver: Cobra 460SZ 9.0, med.
3 Wood: Taylor stiff
3-hybrid: Nike 18 deg stiff
4-hybrid:
Taylor RBZ 22 deg regular
Irons:5-9, Mizuno MP30, steel
Wedges: PW, 52, 56, 60 Mizuno MP30
Putter: Odyssey 2-ball

Three of the last five majors have been won by players using "belly putters" - advantage yes or no??

Not enough numbers for statistical value.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

• Administrator
Originally Posted by Zeph

Not enough numbers for statistical value.

Well, I'd just say it's not something you can truly ever test.

• Upvote 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

When it comes to the paycheck, very few people joke. Isn't it funny how everyone softened when the manufacturers started whispering in their ears? Again, the paycheck but this time on the backs of the equipment sponsors. I have read all the statements put out there publicly, but I would love to hear the ones that are private. That is where the real decisions are being made.

• Upvote 1

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

Guan Tianlang age 14 won the Asia-Pacific Amateur Championship and got a birth into the Masters come April 11th. He will become the youngest player ever to play in the Masters. He captured the Asia-Pacific Amateur Championship using a "belly putter". This along with the last 3 of 5 major winners having used a "belly putter" may have led to the governing bodies of golf to stand up and take a stance.

Guan Tianlang age 14 won the Asia-Pacific Amateur Championship and got a birth into the Masters come April 11th. He will become the youngest player ever to play in the Masters. He captured the Asia-Pacific Amateur Championship using a "belly putter". This along with the last 3 of 5 major winners having used a "belly putter" may have led to the governing bodies of golf to stand up and take a stance.

The announcement was made in October 2012. He won this tournament in November 2012. Someone obviously had a crystal ball.

Originally Posted by Mulligan Jeff

Don't forget about Beau Hossler.  The high school kid from my neck of the woods who was leading the US Open at one point on Friday last year.  He has a belly putter, if I recall correctly.

Originally Posted by Rulesman

The announcement was made in October 2012. He won this tournament in November 2012. Someone obviously had a crystal ball.

Dang, so much for that conspiracy theory.

Don't forget about Beau Hossler.  The high school kid from my neck of the woods who was leading the US Open at one point on Friday last year.  He has a belly putter, if I recall

I remember Beau. I think I follow him on Twitter. Don't remember what kind of putter he uses.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Originally Posted by Golfingdad

Don't forget about Beau Hossler.  The high school kid from my neck of the woods who was leading the US Open at one point on Friday last year.  He has a belly putter, if I recall correctly.

I believe he uses a standard 32" putter, but it still anchors to his belly.

*rimshot*

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

I went ahead and traded in my 2 belly putters for a traditional length putter. I had already been hearing from other golfers that I was a cheater for using it. I am participating in 9 tournaments so far this year and really don't want to hear it. Afraid its going to affect my concentration.

There has not been any conclusive evidence that belly putters give an unfair advantage. The PGA or some governing body should conduct tests of say 10 ft. putts and 20 ft. putts with belly putters and conventional putters to obtain some data...

Originally Posted by Mulligan Jeff

There has not been any conclusive evidence that belly putters give an unfair advantage. The PGA or some governing body should conduct tests of say 10 ft. putts and 20 ft. putts with belly putters and conventional putters to obtain some data...

Completely unnecessary, since the basis of the proposed rule has NOTHING to do with whether anchoring confers an advantage.  "No advantage" is simply a debating point for those who oppose the proposed rule.  Basically a red herring, IMO.

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

Note: This thread is 2528 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!