IGNORED

What are the coldest temps you've ever played a round of golf in?

BuckeyeNut
Note: This thread is 3420 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

If you walk on frosty greens, it will damage the grass, but it will recover. Greens that are frozen solid will not be harmed. The biggest risk is when the greens are frozen, and the top inch or so thaws. Walking or playing on greens in that condition can create a shearing action that can seperate the crown of the grass plant from the root.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Played in cold less than 10* too. Those drivers really roll out.

I was walking on the RTJ Senator at Prattville. Weather started out great at 70* but turned to 45* and windy. A covered ranger cart drove up as I was walking of the 11th green. I was taking off a sweater as I got up to the cart. He said it was too cold and I was the only golfer on the course. All the employees left too. Gotta reach for the gusto!!!!!

9* Geek No Brainer with red Stiff Gallofory shaft
15* R5 3 wood with Burner shaft
21* 24* Nike CPR hybrid Aldila by you shaft
5-pw Titleist 680 cb irons-SK Fiber graphite shafts
52*, 56*,60* Reid Lockhart Dual Bounce spinner shaftScotty Cameron Newport MidSlant with Tiger Shark GripTM LDP Red balls---used because I'm...

Originally Posted by colin007

What happens when the greens are frozen and you walk on them?

Absolutely nothing....................rock hard ground is not to be confused with frost.  They are two completely different animals.  The ground can be frozen solid with no frost.............

What's in Paul's Bag:
- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Driver
- Big Bertha Alpha 815 3-wood
- Callaway Razr Fit 5-wood
- Callaway Big Bertha 4-5 Rescue Clubs
-- Mizuno Mx-25 six iron-gap wedge
- Mizuno Mp-T4 56degree SW
- Mizuno Mp-T11 60degree SW
- Putter- Ping Cadence Ketsch

I've heard that before but is it really true? I've walked on my own lawn when its frozen and that didn't damage the gras...

It's true, I've seen greens that have been vandalized.  Don't know why it happens to greens and not your lawn, except the grass on you lawn is much more hardy that the grass on a green.

And, I've played several times with the temps in the mid 30's, get a sunny day in January with no wind and it seems warmer than it is.

Craig 

Yeah, wanna make 14 dollars the hard way?

I've heard that before but is it really true? I've walked on my own lawn when its frozen and that didn't damage the gras...

Actually it probably did damage the grass, but you would not detect it right away.    From "The Lawn Institute" at http://www.thelawninstitute.org/education/?c=185223

Frost is most easily described as frozen dew.  A settling frost causes a covering of ice crystals on leaf surfaces.  When this area is trafficked it can cause the grass to be injured.  Foot traffic or vehicular traffic can cause damage that will take weeks or months to heal.

Why the injury is caused is debated, some claim the cells of the plant are damaged because the water in the leaf tissue is frozen and the tissue is brittle.  Others believe that the crystallized water punctures the grass blades in thousands of places causing wounds that cannot heal.  Whatever the cause, the damage cannot be refuted.   Injury to frost covered grass will not be seen right away but will be noticeable 12-48 hrs after the damage is done.  Often the injured grass will get a purple or black hue.  The grass will then turn brown as it dies.  Dead grass will leave areas for weeds to germinate.  Damaged grass that does not die will be more susceptible to disease.

To avoid damaging grass that is covered in frost it is important that it not be walked on, mowed or trafficked in any way.  Frost will quickly melt once the sun rises.  Low lying areas and areas in the shade of trees and buildings will be the last to thaw.  Have some patience and the grass will appreciate it.

The grass on a putting green is even more fragile since it is kept so closely cropped.

I usually want it to be above freezing, but a cold winter day with no wind is great. A nip of scotch along the way helps you stay warm, well maybe not warm but you just don't mind the cold. Biggest problem I've come across is hammering the tee in the ground with my putter, its a bitch. If I can't I just use my 3 wood and hit it off the ground like a fairway shot. I love being able to play at my own pace cause usually the only people out there are "real" golfers who know how to play.

I never heard that about the greens being frozen, is it really that bad for them? I'd hate to screw up the greens on any course.

Once in college, the course would not allow me on because of the temp/frost possible damage to greens.

Nowadays though, if the temp is below my age, I don't play!

Don

In the bag:

Driver: PING 410 Plus 9 degrees, Alta CB55 S  Fairway: Callaway Rogue 3W PX Even Flow Blue 6.0; Hybrid: Titleist 818H1 21* PX Even Flow Blue 6.0;  Irons: Titleist 718 AP1 5-W2(53*) Shafts- TT AMT Red S300 ; Wedges Vokey SM8 56-10D Putter: Scotty Cameron 2016 Newport 2.5  Ball: Titleist AVX or 2021 ProV1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

For me, in the upper 30s with rain and a strong northeast wind. Those conditions pretty well stretched my enthusiasm for golf to a bad stretch, one which I still damp and chilled well into the next day.

So now I pretty well keep to a rule of 40 or more and winds not too strong. The strength of wind I'll tolerate is dependent upon how much sun there is -- sun can do a lot to make it feel better.

I could see me doing temps in the 20s if there was little to no wind and plenty of sun.

Quote:
Definitely not fun to land on a frozen green when you are not expecting it to be frozen.  Was playing Vail GC last week with temps in the 50s and a 11:30 tee off time.  The first 3 greens were fine and I killed a drive on 4 leaving a 75 yard lob wedge in that I hit well, landing just short of hole high- couldn`t understand why it rocketed off the back until I walked on the green, which was still in shadows, and found it to be frozen.

I had that happen to me on a green last winter. Just had a 7-iron into the green, hit the shot and it felt perfect, looked perfect, until it hit the green and looked to bounce up as nearly high as it had been at the top of its arc, plus into the thick cabbage area 15 yards over the green. So, I went from what looked like it could have been a birdie putt to a lost ball with stroke and distance penalty.

• 2 years later...

I found this old thread and thought I'd put in my 2¢...

I regularly play when the temperatures are in the 30°'s, but the very coldest temperature was 28°.

A number of years ago, (before retiring), my friend John and I had a string of playing in 25 consecutive months. That's not bad for Western Pennsylvania, but it was Christmas eve and we hadn't been able to golf the entire month of December. Snow was in the forecast for the week after the holidays, so we knew this was our last chance.  The temperature was 28°, and on a whim we called out local pro shop, because we knew someone was in the shop.

To our great surprise Tim agreed to let us go out and play nine holes, and even allowed us to putt on the greens. It was wonderful. Drives rolled forever, shots that normally would have been in the lake ended up on the green, we putted out of sand traps, and the hot chocolate never tasted so good after playing.  I do have to say that a couple of shots that I hit on the green took giant bounces and went 20 yards over the green, and putting was like rolling your ball on the kitchen floor, but that was kind of fun, too.

I wish I could say that our string continued for another year or two, but it ended when the ground was covered with snow all throughout February. But, we will always have Christmas eve at 28°.

I love this game!

Drivers: Bag 1 - TM R11 (10.5°); Bag 2 - Ping G5 (9°),
Fairway woods: #1 - TM RBZ Tour (14.5°) & TM System 2 Raylor (17°); #2 - TM Burner (15°) & TM V-Steel (18°)
Hybrid: #1 - TM Rocketballz (19°); #2 - Ping G5 (19°)
Irons: #1 - Ping i3+; #2 - Hogan Edge  (both 4-pw, +1" shaft)
Wedges: #1 - Ping i3+ U wedge (52°) & Ping Eye 2+ BeCu (60°); #2 - Ping ISI Sand BeCu (52°) & Cleveland CG11 lob (60°)
Putters: Ping B60i & Anser 2, Odyssey White Steel 2-Ball & White Hot XG #9, Lamkim Jumbp grips
Golf Balls: Titleist Pro V1, Bridgestone B330, Callaway SR1, Slazenger Grips: Lamkin Crossline
Golf Shoes: Footjoy & Adidas; Golf Glove: Footjoy StaSof®; Golf Bag: Ping Hoofer
I love this game! :-D

We were golfing with some family members up in northern Nevada a few years back. The temperature was 24*F. This did not include the wind chill factor of the 35 MPH north wind.(6*-7* F ?) It was cloudy, and snow/ice flakes would sting if they hit an exposed body party. It was for family bragging rights. We had a good time.

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

I've played in the 30's, but not anymore.  Now my cut off is 40 including wind chill.  Below 40 is just painful.

10.5 deg Ping G30, Callaway X2 Hot Pro 3W, Taylor Made Rescue 3H, Ping G30 irons
Cleveland TA 900 SW, Mizuno T-Zoid LW, Odyssey DF Rossie I

http://golfshot.com/members/0622056080

Below 60 and I'm not inclined to play.

You and my wife! :-P

Drivers: Bag 1 - TM R11 (10.5°); Bag 2 - Ping G5 (9°),
Fairway woods: #1 - TM RBZ Tour (14.5°) & TM System 2 Raylor (17°); #2 - TM Burner (15°) & TM V-Steel (18°)
Hybrid: #1 - TM Rocketballz (19°); #2 - Ping G5 (19°)
Irons: #1 - Ping i3+; #2 - Hogan Edge  (both 4-pw, +1" shaft)
Wedges: #1 - Ping i3+ U wedge (52°) & Ping Eye 2+ BeCu (60°); #2 - Ping ISI Sand BeCu (52°) & Cleveland CG11 lob (60°)
Putters: Ping B60i & Anser 2, Odyssey White Steel 2-Ball & White Hot XG #9, Lamkim Jumbp grips
Golf Balls: Titleist Pro V1, Bridgestone B330, Callaway SR1, Slazenger Grips: Lamkin Crossline
Golf Shoes: Footjoy & Adidas; Golf Glove: Footjoy StaSof®; Golf Bag: Ping Hoofer
I love this game! :-D

55 degrees F. That's my cut off point. I'll practice if it's colder, but I won't play in colder weather (I'm talking high temperatures) because up here that usually means the fairways are a mess, and you have to pick your ball clean on every shot unless you want mud splashing everywhere. Winter is driving range weather until mid-April depending upon the rains.

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

I live in Brisbane, Australia. We can play year round with our winter averages being around 70F! Coldest ive played in would be about 60..

Otherwise its the heat that is troubling. Regularly play in temps over 100f. Earlier this year did a round in 113F!!!!

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 9.5* :titleist:

3 Wood: Titleist 913F 15*  :titleist:

Hybrid: Titleist 913H 19*    :titleist:

4-PW: Titleist 712 AP2 S300      :titleist:

Wedges: Cleveland RTX 588 52*, 56*& 60* :cleve:

Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport 2 :cameron:

Ball: Taylormade TPx         :tmade: 

Coldest I've played in was somewhere around the low 60s.  In the last 6 or 7 months, we haven't even had one day where the average temperature was below 60.  Today, for instance, is slightly cooler than it's been for a while, it's 70 right now.

Note: This thread is 3420 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!