IGNORED

Drive of the day inturrupted by lady in a golf cart

Strike One
Note: This thread is 4188 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by Strike One

I stood there as she vented her spleen, lifted up her shirt to show us the impact zone (slight redness), and tried to be as sympathetic and polite as I could. There came a point though when enough was enough.

Should have told her your motive was for her lift her shirt. Mission accomplished.

Driver: Ping K15 10°, Mitsubishi Diamana Blueboard 63g Stiff
Fairway 4-wood: TaylorMade RocketBallz Tour TP 17.5°, Matrix Ozik TP7HD S shaft

Hybrids: Callaway Diablo Edge 3H-4H, Aldila DVS Stiff
Irons: MIURA PP-9003, Dynamic Gold Superlite S300, Sand Wedge: Scratch 8620 56°
Putter: Nike Method Concept Belly 44"
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B330-S

Originally Posted by Golfingdad

Was she one of those "tiger moms" out there slave-driving her pre-teen daughter around so she'll be the next big thing on the LPGA tour?  I only ask because I know you are talking about Rancho and I have seen them there.  The last time I played there I noticed a little girl (I'm guessing 12 or so) who seemed very disinterested in being there hitting 5' putts over and over and over while her mom sat in the shade about 30 feet away just staring at her the whole time.

If so, maybe the little girl was more scared of her mom and the situation than of what you actually did.

Yes.  Except for this girl was ~ 15 to 17yrs old?  Guesstimate.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

A large percentage of women have a high potential for drama, especially when it comes to anything "dangerous". They'll get hysterical over the lamest things.

The woman I hit had a right to be upset, but her reaction was still typical of high strung, over pampered, "entitled" female. She kept yelling "you hit me!" over and over again, like I did it on purpose. She really wanted her pound of flesh. She made her husband go into the clubhouse and get a giant icepack, which she had under her shirt, for a non injury. No welt, no swelling and you couldn't see any mark besides a slight redness. I'm not saying it didn't hurt, but talk about over reacting. She even got on my case for finishing out the hole before coming over to see if she was alright. The woman obviously doesn't understand the game.

Slow players are annoying, but if you hit her on the fly, you are the one at fault- period!  You said yourself that she cost you another 20-30 yards which means that you really blasted one past her.  I would be pissed too if I was her.

I got hit for the first time this year, my fault as I was ahead of the guys I was playing with and thought I was in a safe spot off to the side behind some bushes.  I wasn`t crying in pain, but it hurt and left a mark as you described she had that got worse over the coming days.

I have played golf a lot of years and have rolled balls into groups on blind holes, but am pretty sure I have never flown a ball into a group ahead of me that I could see.

:mizuno: MP-52 5-PW, :cobra: King Snake 4 i 
:tmade: R11 Driver, 3 W & 5 W, :vokey: 52, 56 & 60 wedges
:seemore: putter

I have never hit anybody - I have rolled a few up into the groups ahead, though.

2 years ago - I was playing by myself, standing on the tee box of hole #4 getting ready to tee off and BONK - I get hit in the shoulder by by the group playing hole #3.  It was a bad shot - but they didnt yell "Fore".  I was pissed but even more so at the thought they could've hit me in the head with no warning to cover up.

This shot was probably from about 150 yards with some sort of iron - he was going for the green and sliced it big-time.  It hurt a lot - and for several days.

When I confronted the guy he totally didn't care.  He claimed to have yelled Fore and just treated it like something that just happens when you play golf.  I called him a crazy #%!@ (semi-under-my-breath) and marched down the fairway carrying my ball and rubbing my shoulder.  I did play out the rest of the round and did not report him to the clubhouse  - although I probably should have.  I figured they would just tell him to be more carefull . .and he obviously didn't care, anyway.

Sweet!

I first read that as "skirt" :-D

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Oh, come on. I took full responsibility and never said it was the lady's fault. This is the first person I've ever hit with a golf ball, and I've played behind plenty of slow parties. It was an accident, that's all.

If you get into a rear-ender because you were following too close to the car in front of you, should you lose your license?

It is a pretty irresponsible accident when you know you can reach 270 and they were 280 out.  That is a pretty thin margin for error.

The other thing I don't get is what is the point of not waiting?  You are just going to have to wait longer for the next shot.

• Upvote 1

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

Why are you in such a rush to hit the shot? So you can get up to your ball and wait a bit longer. Accidents happen. Hitting before the landing area is clear isn't an accident. It is an intentional act.  Given that is sounds like you have done this numerous times, you can see why I think a month or two ban is needed for you to get the idea that hitting into people isn't ok.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Golfingdad

I don't think either story above has the posters blaming the people they hit (or almost hit).  They're just telling the story.  Both admitted they were at fault and both apologized to their "victims."

I have basically committed the same crime as both of them.  Watched the 4th guy hit his approach and put his club away, then start my routine "knowing" that by the time I pull the trigger he will be in the cart and driving off and out of range only to realize that for some reason he didn't drive away immediately.  I've never hit anybody in that situation, fortunately, but I could have.

Conversely, when I'm the guy in the fairway on a slow day, I am aware that there are guys on the tee waiting for me while I'm waiting for the guys on the green, and I know everybody gets anxious, so as soon as I hit I'm out of there.  I'm not lolligagging because I don't want to get hit.  Not saying it would be my fault if I did get hit, but I don't want to take the chance.

Oh, come on. I took full responsibility and never said it was the lady's fault. This is the first person I've ever hit with a golf ball, and I've played behind plenty of slow parties. It was an accident, that's all.

If you get into a rear-ender because you were following too close to the car in front of you, should you lose your license?

Going off topic here but...tailgating is a really friggin' annoying and I personally think you should lose your license or, at the very least, be forced to take some lessons in proper driving etiquette.

Sorry, but you asked for that one.

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

I stay patient, usually, when we're sitting there grumbling about the group in front of us, I just look past them and find out they are waiting on the group in front of them.  At that point, you really don't know who's at the very front of the line "really" holding up the pace.

It's not personal, it sucks (especially after daylight savings....), but not worth messing with your head or your game.

Bill - 

Originally Posted by turtleback

It is a pretty irresponsible accident when you know you can reach 270 and they were 280 out.  That is a pretty thin margin for error.

The other thing I don't get is what is the point of not waiting?  You are just going to have to wait longer for the next shot.

THIS.   i don't get the rush to hit as soon as the cart moves (or in this case before).  based on the original poster's story, it sounds like he was frustrated from waiting, which i can understand.  i try to do other things, like chipping near the tee box, to keep myself from getting over-anxious.

In my Grom Stand bag:

Driver: Ping G20, 8.5 Tour Stiff
Wood/Hybrid: G20 3W, Raylor 19*, 22*
Irons: R9 5I - SW, TM CGB LW

Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi-Mid

Favorites: Old Ranch (Seal Beach), Ike/Babe (Industry Hills), Skylinks (Long Beach), Desert Willow (Palm Desert)

I can't speak for others... But thinking back on the incident I referenced from earlier this year... I think a few things created angst/frustration/anxiety for me - and may answer why I pulled the trigger on the tee shot before the cart began to move.

1.) It was a twilight round... I was hoping I could beat out 9 holes before darkness took over.  So I was already running against the clock.

2.) The ladies in front of me were deliberately slow - and took a long time to even hit a shot.  Caused a lot of waiting / standing around.

3.) They totally ignored me near the 1st green, entire 2nd hole and 3rd tee.  It was poor golf etiquette on their behalf to not ask me to either join them - or offer to play through.

4.) It was obvious they weren't worried about getting in holes before we ran out of light - they were moving at a snails pace

5.) I rushed my short game on both the 1st and 2nd green - in hope that they would offer #3.

All of this added up to me being impatient and pissy.  Was it right to hit the shot?  Absolutely not.  Was it dumb to hit the shot?  Absolutely.  I was the one at fault, and realize the mistake I made.  My point of telling the story was to highlight to others that it happens.

Sometimes I just need to take a deep breath and relax and not take the game so serious!!

I use my range finder to ensure the distance is safe or that I can hit the person depending on the situation :p
  • Upvote 1

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

The problem is you're too good.  When you have an index like I do, you don't mind waiting a little longer before you shank the next shot.

Originally Posted by Beachcomber

Sometimes I just need to take a deep breath and relax and not take the game so serious!!

• Upvote 1

Joe Paradiso

Note: This thread is 4188 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!