IGNORED

MJ banned from Miami Club for Cargo Shorts

RonTheSavage
Note: This thread is 4122 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I disagree... what evidence is there to suggest that there was something else going on (loud parties etc.) ? The "spy" in the article referenced is quoted as only mentioning his attire. And if a country club has the balls to interrupt a round for dress code, why wouldn't they have the balls to interrupt the round for disorderly behavior?  Has anyone chiming in here ever golfed with MJ to attest to his conduct on the golf course? If not, seems the whole behavior/cigar smoke thing is without merit. Even in the picture provided he's got a cigar in his mouth but it doesn't appear to be lit. just sayin

Absolutely no evidence whatsoever. But there is really no evidence of anything here. It's a story with extremely little info, and a lot of speculation. That storyline seems most plausible to me ... That's all. [quote name="Harmonious" url="/t/63416/mj-banned-from-miami-club-for-cargo-shorts/90#post_790281"]The only sources in this whole incident are an unnamed spy and Jordan's unnamed representative. No one else has commented.  Not the country club.  Not Jordan's host. Not anyone else who observed the incident. Yet people are so quick to criticize this club (all private clubs, really) or Jordan or Jordan's host, without knowing any of the facts. Here's my take. It could be completely wrong, but it makes sense, knowing what little I do about fancy country clubs: 1) Host and Jordan arrive or meet at course.  Host checks them in at the pro shop. 2) Perhaps Jordan doesn't even go into the pro shop. If he does, person in pro shop is star-struck, is reluctant to mention dress code to a celebrity or to his host. 3) As an exclusive club, there is no starter needed. Perhaps no club employee sees them prior to teeing off #1. 4) Everything is fine until the 12th hole, when members of another group notice Jordan's attire. They call the pro shop to complain. 5) Pro shop now has to do something, so sends someone out to #12 to say that there was a complaint about proper attire, and suggest that Jordan may want to change into more appropriate clothing. 6) Host and/or Jordan tells person they will finish the round. They do so and leave the club. 7) Word spreads around the club about the incident. Maybe from the complainants, maybe from the guy who had to go out to #12, maybe from the bag boy who loaded Jordan's clubs into his car. 8) Somehow a newspaper gets hold of this (non)story. 9) Jordan's rep tries to spin it so that the club is the bad guy, not Jordan. Like everyone else, I have no idea what really happened.  But my scenario makes as much sense as the gossip column in the Times. [/quote]Also perfectly reasonable possibility.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Since he was allowed to start his game, he should be allowed to finish it with the understanding that he would abide by their dress code in the future.

IMHO, I believe that the golf club mis-handled the whole situation that escalated to the point of interrupting his game and not inviting him to return.

With his money, that's like cutting your nose off to spite your face.

I mean they are letting guys out in shorts. They obviously don't care that much about looks.

I've never heard of a private club that didn't allow shorts of any kind. Do they exist?

You are clearly hanging out at the low end clubs where the unwashed masses play. You are probably allowed on the premises without your jacket and tie also. More seriously last I heard Royal Troon doesn't allow shorts and there are a couple in Japan and SE asia that I am aware of.  I am sure there is one in the US since at least one club will want to be know for being the most anal.

Originally Posted by walk18

I've never heard of a private club that didn't allow shorts of any kind. Do they exist?

Originally Posted by x129

You are clearly hanging out at the low end clubs where the unwashed masses play. You are probably allowed on the premises without your jacket and tie also. More seriously last I heard Royal Troon doesn't allow shorts and there are a couple in Japan and SE asia that I am aware of.  I am sure there is one in the US since at least one club will want to be know for being the most anal.

I suspect a few SE Asia countries would have that as a rule where it's the cultural expectation in general anyway

different strokes

in the US it certainly would be a win for the pro-anal crowd

Bill - 

Originally Posted by caniac6

Last weekend Tiger played with his hat on backwards. Several years ago Furyk putted out at the Tour Championship with his hat on backwards. We have a local club, in dire financial trouble, that actually has a written rule that hats must not be worn backwards at any time. In my opinion, a lot of courses have lost sight of the fact that golf is supposed to be fun, and it should be more important that golfers behave properly than meet arbitrary dress codes.

Well, that club must not have a lot else going for it. We have strict rules about dress, including a written rule that hats must not be worn backwards and must be removed indoors. We have a waiting list for new members as we speak.

Bill M

Originally Posted by phan52

Well, that club must not have a lot else going for it. We have strict rules about dress, including a written rule that hats must not be worn backwards and must be removed indoors. We have a waiting list for new members as we speak.

The two clubs were Sherwood CC and East Lake CC. I used to be a member at a club that had similar rules concerning hats. They had strict dress codes, and some members would get all bent out of shape if they observed someone that did not meet the code. I played with the VP of the club, and he was dressed great! He also left every green after he putted out,and he walked to the next tee, leaving the rest of the group on the green. He walked ahead to get his yardage while some guys had to wait to hit. If he hit a bad drive, he would pound his driver into the tee, damaging the turf. I wuold rather play with a guy wearing a tee shirt and bib overalls that knew how to behave himself, than play with guys that are concerned dress codes. Biff and Muffy can have these stuffy clubs, I would rather play with guys that have fun, and don't worry if someone is wearing their hat backwards.

• Upvote 1

The two clubs were Sherwood CC and East Lake CC. I used to be a member at a club that had similar rules concerning hats. They had strict dress codes, and some members would get all bent out of shape if they observed someone that did not meet the code. I played with the VP of the club, and he was dressed great! He also left every green after he putted out,and he walked to the next tee, leaving the rest of the group on the green. He walked ahead to get his yardage while some guys had to wait to hit. If he hit a bad drive, he would pound his driver into the tee, damaging the turf. I wuold rather play with a guy wearing a tee shirt and bib overalls that knew how to behave himself, than play with guys that are concerned dress codes. Biff and Muffy can have these stuffy clubs, I would rather play with guys that have fun, and don't worry if someone is wearing their hat backwards.

this is an excellent post.  i agree.

Colin P.

Last weekend Tiger played with his hat on backwards. Several years ago Furyk putted out at the Tour Championship with his hat on backwards. We have a local club, in dire financial trouble, that actually has a written rule that hats must not be worn backwards at any time. In my opinion, a lot of courses have lost sight of the fact that golf is supposed to be fun, and it should be more important that golfers behave properly than meet arbitrary dress codes.

I remember when Furyk was putting with his hat backwards, it was to keep the rain from dripping in front of his face, was not a fashion statement.

Note: This thread is 4122 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!