IGNORED

Who Will Be The 2014 U.S. Ryder Cup Captain?

mvmac
Note: This thread is 4089 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. Who Will Be The 2014 U.S. Ryder Cup Captain?

• David Toms
    • Larry Nelson
    • Fred Couples
    • Jim Furyk
    • Tom Watson
    • Paul Azinger
    • Jack Nicklaus

The PGA should be ashamed! Larry Nelson should be captain. I guess 2 PGA Championships, 1 US Open, plus actually fighting for his country in Viet Nam isn't good enough. I like Tom Watson, but I believe Nelson deserved a chance.

• Administrator
Originally Posted by caniac6

The PGA should be ashamed! Larry Nelson should be captain. I guess 2 PGA Championships, 1 US Open, plus actually fighting for his country in Viet Nam isn't good enough. I like Tom Watson, but I believe Nelson deserved a chance.

I think he deserved a chance too, but it's now past the time when he'd be a GOOD choice, if you know what I mean.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Yep it's official What do you guys think?  Is Watson the right man for the job?

Quote:

Watson breaks the PGA of America's prototype in a big way. The eight-time major champion will be 65 when the 2014 Ryder Cup is played at Gleneagles in Scotland, making him the oldest captain in Ryder Cup history. Sam Snead was 57 when he was captain in 1969, and the oldest European captain was John Jacobs (56) in 1981.

Watson has not been back to the Ryder Cup since that '93 victory at The Belfry, though he sounded like he couldn't wait to get started.

"I was waiting for about 20 years to get the call," Watson said with that familiar gap-tooth grin. "I loved it the first time. I'm a great fan of the Ryder Cup. It's a great honor to be able to do it again."

Watson is the first repeat captain for the U.S. team since Jack Nicklaus in 1987, when the Ryder Cup was played on his home course of Muirfield Village in Ohio. Watson, one of the most respected figures in golf worldwide, becomes the seventh U.S. captain to get more than one shot.

"I've lived for that pressure, and lived underneath that pressure all my career," Watson said. "I hope I can set the table for these players. I'm the stage manager. I set the stage and they go out and perform. In two years, I hope they can get it done."

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

I'm not real happy with the selection and how things went down..  Too many things rubbed me the wrong way.. I do feel that Larry Nelson got the short end of the stick in this bit of drama.. Granted, that was probably more of the media's doing then anything, but the PGA doesn't have clean hands either.. During the past months, even before Medina, people were already talking and discussing who will be the 2014 captain and why.. Obvious now, it was apparent that Tom Watson was their boy since the beginning of 2012.. They did make a 85 page book on why Tom is the best choice, and never once talked to anyone else but Tom in 2012..

Then I hear from Mr PGA man that the reason no one was discussed is because no one came up to him in 2012 asking for the job of Capt until late in fall by David Toms..  Apparently, no one else knew of this "send in your resume" procedure.. lol  However, I did listen to Paul Azinger and he told us, he lobbied to be Capt again after 2008, and the PGA strictly told him, NO, NO and NO.. There are too many Capt's and not enough Ryder Cups to go around.. So if that was the case, why pick Tom a second time, considering that Larry was already shafted once by the PGA...

I also didn't like the lame excuse of "we need to win" is why we picked Tom.... Um.. Exsqueeeze me, but the PGA pretty much already decided to go with Tom well before the 2012 Ryder Cup was even here..  Did the PGA has a crystal ball and knew the team was going to lose at Medina.. Too many stories, too much drama popped up.. And to be honest, I lost a lot of respect for Tom Watson because of this.. I was brought up with honor, integrity and values, especially those involving friends.. I found it quite unsettling that Tom accepted the Caps pick knowing it would be his 2nd go around at the expense of people he used to call friend... Really Tom?  I just can't imagine doing that myself..  I would of said, "Thank you, but no thanks.. There are many others out there that haven't had their shot at Capt and they deserve that chance"...

Is Tom going to be one of these seniors that just won't go away?  Trying to grasp on to anything to keep in the action and limelight.. Anymore I just feel the PGA operates on a good ole boys clique thing than anything..  I guess Larry wasn't in the "inner circle" of notables to get any lovin from the PGA.. Not just once, but twice..  Shame on you PGA, and shame on you Tom for taking part of it..

• Administrator
Originally Posted by ThominOH

Is Tom going to be one of these seniors that just won't go away?  Trying to grasp on to anything to keep in the action and limelight.

Tom almost won a major (on the regular PGA Tour) not that long ago. It's not like he's clinging on purely via media stunts and outrageous quotes and whatnot.

When's the last time Larry Nelson was in the news for doing anything other than being shafted for not being a Ryder Cup captain?

I said above that Larry Nelson should have been chosen... but that was a long time ago, and he's no longer a good choice. That time was 1995 or 1997... quite a long time ago.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I agree with Erik. Tom Watson is still very relevant and is one of the greatest players in the last 50 years of professional golf. He's always been a class act and is someone highly respected. Nothing against Larry Nelson but his credentials and his personality are lacking vs. Watson. I don't know how the PGA picks it's Captains but they made a good choice. Plus Watson is loved in Scotland.

I am okay with the choice, I would just have rather them gone for Hale Irwin. This is probably bad news for David Toms, he might have just been "Larry Nelson-ed".

Michael

I like the choice but I'm pretty meh on the whole to-do about the captains. Unless they really over think it and choose 11 and 12 poorly I just don't believe it's all that important. You have 24 of the best 30 or so golfers in the world. Your guys are either playing well or they're not.

The whole thing seems 18 months too early.  Somewhat like the recent presidential elections.  I wish TW (tom watson) well but he is 63 yrs old and anything can happen in the next year and half. Anyway, it all hype, buffoonery, and money grubbing with golf as a side dish.

Originally Posted by joekelly

The whole thing seems 18 months too early.  Somewhat like the recent presidential elections.  I wish TW (tom watson) well but he is 63 yrs old and anything can happen in the next year and half. Anyway, it all hype, buffoonery, and money grubbing with golf as a side dish.

That is pretty much my stance.. I just feel this is just more PR political bs just to start drama, get attention and raise money.. I think it has little to do with what is best for the players and sport..

I'd probably choose Paul Azinger every time if I was in charge.  That being said, Tom Watson is a very good selection and will have the United States team ready to go when it matters most.  I'm not sure it really matters though because the Europeans will be the favorites either way and rightfully so.  It's still early though, and who knows who all will be playing well/poorly by then.  The fact it has created so much discussion already proves just how big the event has become.  It's good to see.

• 4 weeks later...

Apparently Montgomerie is favourite now, McGinley has Rory's and Luke's backing, Clarke wants to concentrate on playing (maybe code for "I'm not getting the job").

Monty pisses me off more and more, his ability to steer any conversation on tv around to himself is staggering, I think he must have taken lessons at Gary Player's knee.

Rory and Luke and Poults's backing now. One gets the sense the players aren't especially keen on a another ride on the Montyvator.

Stretch.

"In the process of trial and error, our failed attempts are meant to destroy arrogance and provoke humility." -- Master Jin Kwon

I wouldn't blame them, I often wonder whether the win at Celtic Manor was despite him rather than because of him.

I can see Monty being a nightmare, trying to compete with Tom for the media limelight, he may win due to his contract with Sky but it would give the US huge amounts of additional motivation.

I think McGinley is more likely to let the media get on with the Tom Watson love in and focus on the details and getting his players ready.

Not saying Tom will court the media limelight, but its coming his way whatever he does. The UK press adores him and will want all sorts from him.

This will help Tom Watson sell more books.  I would have preferred Nelson but I don't blame Watson for saying yes.  If Watson deferred to Nelson, people would find some conspiracy theory on why he declined and it would be a bigger mess for him than accepting the honor.

Joe Paradiso

Note: This thread is 4089 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!