IGNORED

Poll on Range Finders

RobbyDuzak
Note: This thread is 2274 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

89 members have voted

1. 1. Do you own Range Finder?

• Have a range finder in the bag
    • Want one,but don't want to spend money on one
    • Do not need or want one

On 6/24/2017 at 0:07 PM, Shindig said:

I agree that lack of accurate information is why they're short and that the rangefinder is valuable.  I disagree that it's the only missing piece:  many people over-estimate how far they hit their clubs.  Prior to getting my Game Golf, I thought I hit my irons about ten yards further than I do.  My GIRs have gone up quite a bit now that I know, for example, that 125 yards out I should pull the 8-iron, not the 9.

But you're right;  even with accurate information on club distances, you still need to know the distance between your ball and your target .

Agree 100%.  After understanding how to use the range finder, I spent the early season two years straight dialing in yardage distances for 7-iron down through wedges.  Can't hit a green with anything longer then a 7-iron anymore so understanding distances with scoring clubs is the other main component to the range finder.

Last night, I shot pins at 40, 68 and 52 yards.  All 3 lob-wedge shots were inside 10 feet.  This is where I see the biggest value using the tool.  Again, it helps that I understand full swing with lob-wedge (58*) is 80 yards tops and can vary swing length and opening up the blade to control distance on short yardage shots.

dave

The ultimate "old man" setup:

Ping G30 driver
Ping G Fairway woods - 5 and 7 woods
Callaway X-Hot #5 hybrid; Old school secret weapon
Ping G #6-9 irons; W and U wedges
Vokey 54 and 58* Wedges
Odyssey Versa Putter
Golf Balls

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

5 hours ago, dave s said:

Last night, I shot pins at 40, 68 and 52 yards.  All 3 lob-wedge shots were inside 10 feet.  This is where I see the biggest value using the tool.  Again, it helps that I understand full swing with lob-wedge (58*) is 80 yards tops and can vary swing length and opening up the blade to control distance on short yardage shots.

Oh yeah, definitely inside 100 it's amazing.  Really helps to couple with my 25% and 50% shots (and learning 75%).

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

I almost impulse bought one shortly after I started playing but then I learned about the markers and flag colors and got around fine on those things.  I wouldn't mind having one now for courses that are poorly marked and for checking yardages after I hit my shot but the cost is just too high for fluff things like that imo.

I bought one today! Never used one before,  not even held one in hand. I purchased a basic model after salesman put me off the bushnell one I originally went in store for. At my game level I'm hoping to judge the hazards better and perhaps learn how far I'm hitting my clubs. It's a start.

7 hours ago, Golf Goddess said:

I bought one today! Never used one before,  not even held one in hand. I purchased a basic model after salesman put me off the bushnell one I originally went in store for. At my game level I'm hoping to judge the hazards better and perhaps learn how far I'm hitting my clubs. It's a start.

Congratulations.   I believe you'll enjoy it. 

One word of caution, have a general idea of the distance before you shoot a target.   When I first started using mine, I mistakenly targeted trees behind the green instead of the flag.  

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

9 hours ago, Golf Goddess said:

Not clear if you bought a GPS or a laser, but I think you'll like it. Best $99 I've spent on golf this year!

On 03/07/2017 at 6:38 AM, Midpack said:

Not clear if you bought a GPS or a laser, but I think you'll like it. Best $99 I've spent on golf this year!

Hi, I bought the laser Leupold pin caddie2 $200.  Basic model, No slope reading. I had looked at the bushnell v2 but salesman said aftersales service pretty much didn't exist. 

On 03/07/2017 at 4:40 AM, dennyjones said:

Congratulations.   I believe you'll enjoy it. 

One word of caution, have a general idea of the distance before you shoot a target.   When I first started using mine, I mistakenly targeted trees behind the green instead of the flag.  

Thanks, I was very shaky but luckily, this one works fast. I just need to know roughly the distances at the moment. Mainly 100 yards more or less as my short game is rubbish.

Interesting how much variation there is on this topic!

When I play by myself, I enjoy going naked, relying on various markers and my flawed instinct. Otherwise, our golf carts have GPS, but since carts aren't allowed on wet fairways (rains a lot here) or near the green, they have limited application. So I generally rely on a GPS app; love having three data points on each green. The GolfLogix app is excellent, but every now and then I have to eMail GolfLogix a screenshot from my iPhone proving that I am a member. Usually this happens on the first tee, so I gave up (their support folks are not very responsive). Giving 18Birdies a try now. I also have a Bushnell v2, but laser just isn't my thing.

19 hours ago, Golf Goddess said:

Hi, I bought the laser Leupold pin caddie2 $200.  Basic model, No slope reading. I had looked at the bushnell v2 but salesman said aftersales service pretty much didn't exist. 

Thanks, I was very shaky but luckily, this one works fast. I just need to know roughly the distances at the moment. Mainly 100 yards more or less as my short game is rubbish.

You can practice with the Leupold off the course to get proficient at fast reads. One trick is to activate it by pushing the button once, then push again and hold it down. Then move toward your target. The number will change on the screen, but it is faster to find your target that way.

You can aim at the front of the green to get that distance, then to the flag in one read. Then you will know what carry you need and how far from the front the flag is.

• Upvote 2

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

I've been using GolfLogix on my phone (Samsung Galaxy S6), but my GPS readings just haven't been accurate enough...sometimes ~10 yards off.  So I had to make a change.

After a few days of research (including reading threads here), and waffling (I was virtually set on a laser until reading the thoughts from the GPS proponents in this thread)--I purchased a Bushnell Tour v4 w/slope Laser Rangefinder on Monday, and it is arriving today.

I almost pulled the trigger twice on a GPS unit--once, a watch, and later, a unit I could clip on my bag.  The arguments for speed-of-read were convincing.  However, upon deeper research, I was discouraged by tech-specs on many of them indicating a listed accuracy of +/- 4 yards.  Am I good enough to really worry about that?  Nope.  But I'm a highly analytical dude who has an accuracy fetish, and 4 yards is just enough to get in my head. ;-)  

Swaying me back towards the laser was the desire to be able to shoot pretty much any target, and also shooting range targets so I can really dial in my distances and under-100yd. game.  I also play courses w/lots of elevation changes, so the slope-ability will some in handy frequently.  I'll also use it to shoot random 'I wonder how far away that is?' stuff outside of golf.  So, laser wins!

Well, kind of....

I may end up also buying a small GPS watch or clip (one of the simple ones in the ~$100-$130 range), to give me quick reads on front/middle/back in situations when I don't feel like pulling out the laser.  I can honestly see using this more than the laser on normal approach shots, and just pulling out the laser for special situations (exact to pin inside 100yds., spot-carries, group-in-front, etc.).

BamaWade

• Upvote 1

Wade         --         "Thaaat's CRUSHED!"

Driver:  Ping G400 LST 8.5°
FWs/Hybs:  Callaway BB Steelhead III 3w; TM R15 17° & 21°
Irons:  Mizuno JPX825
Wedges:  Cleveland Rotex 2.0 54° & 60°
Putter:  Odyssey 2-ball

3 hours ago, BamaWade said:

I've been using GolfLogix on my phone (Samsung Galaxy S6), but my GPS readings just haven't been accurate enough...sometimes ~10 yards off.  So I had to make a change.

After a few days of research (including reading threads here), and waffling (I was virtually set on a laser until reading the thoughts from the GPS proponents in this thread)--I purchased a Bushnell Tour v4 w/slope Laser Rangefinder on Monday, and it is arriving today.

I almost pulled the trigger twice on a GPS unit--once, a watch, and later, a unit I could clip on my bag.  The arguments for speed-of-read were convincing.  However, upon deeper research, I was discouraged by tech-specs on many of them indicating a listed accuracy of +/- 4 yards.  Am I good enough to really worry about that?  Nope.  But I'm a highly analytical dude who has an accuracy fetish, and 4 yards is just enough to get in my head. ;-)  

Swaying me back towards the laser was the desire to be able to shoot pretty much any target, and also shooting range targets so I can really dial in my distances and under-100yd. game.  I also play courses w/lots of elevation changes, so the slope-ability will some in handy frequently.  I'll also use it to shoot random 'I wonder how far away that is?' stuff outside of golf.  So, laser wins!

Well, kind of....

I may end up also buying a small GPS watch or clip (one of the simple ones in the ~$100-$130 range), to give me quick reads on front/middle/back in situations when I don't feel like pulling out the laser.  I can honestly see using this more than the laser on normal approach shots, and just pulling out the laser for special situations (exact to pin inside 100yds., spot-carries, group-in-front, etc.).

BamaWade

You'll like the laser.   I too, used to use Golflogix but after using the laser, I now only use it to record score.    It is nice to shoot a tree at a dogleg and get a distance or shoot a sandtrap distance too.  I use my laser on approach shots into the green and find it is very quick to get a read.

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

I am happy to see the range finder side pop up again. I just don't see what is wrong with them, and there is a lot right with them, including getting yardages at the driving range when the ropes are moved often, but the yardage markers are never moved. I don't believe they add time to a round unless you get into the old "more than two shakes, and you're playing with it!" territory. 

So, my range finder came in yesterday afternoon, and I was able to get out for 9 holes and put it to use.

Verdict:  I like it a lot.  Shots were quick, and I only expect them to get faster as I get better with the device.  In fact, it sped up my round, as I no longer had to find an on-course marker and step off the yardage (though I did do that a few times to compare my read against my laser-shot).  Not only did I shoot pins, but several landmarks through fairways to help with layups, etc.  Also, the device helped me with a couple of bad pin-reads, where our elevated greens fooled me on pin location.  Ex: on hole 7, I stepped off 106, as it looked like the pin (uphill from me on a multi-tiered green) was on the middle tier.  Laser shot told me 114 + slope to 118 - back tier.  That changed my club & shot-type considerably.

On hole 8, I hit the pin(!) w/my gap-wedge approach from 89y.  Ball hit literally ~4-6 inches directly in front of the cup, bounced up into the flagstick and popped right back down about a foot away.  It was another uphill approach where I couldn't quite see the hole until I got up onto the green...I was hoping it went in, but it had hit it on the up-bounce and stayed out  Still...easy birdie!  I can attribute this success to the laser, as I had stepped off 106 (to center), but the pin was much closer to the front edge than I thought (my read was 97y. playing just over 100y.).  I adjusted my swing accordingly and just about jarred it.  Yea, laser!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, BamaWade said:

Shots were quick, and I only expect them to get faster as I get better with the device.  In fact, it sped up my round, as I no longer had to find an on-course marker and step off the yardage (though I did do that a few times to compare my read against my laser-shot). 

+1. That's been one of the nicest benefits of having a GPS or laser IME, you know instantly what the exact yardage is. In my case I know distance to front, middle and back so I can choose according to wind, elevation, hazards, etc.

It gives much better distances when I stray off the fairway too - I did not realize how much distances change when you're way off centerline relative to 150 and other standards markers.

I love the score, putts, fairway & GIR stats mine keeps too. As well as distance to all hazards and doglegs, I know more than I ever did before GPS came to golf, too bad I don't play better as a result (yet?). :8)

Edited by Midpack

1 hour ago, Midpack said:

It gives much better distances when I stray off the fairway too - I did not realize how much distances change when you're way off centerline relative to 150 and other standards markers.

Yeah, I try to walk a radial arc (?) from the fairway marker for this to the best of my ability, but margin of error has to increase w/distance from marker, so hopefully those days are behind me.  I did do that a few times last night, though, to see how close my read was.  I did mostly okay; most of my errors were with incorrectly estimating the position of the pin when I couldn't see the bottom of the flag (about half our greens are that elevated).  It's those situations when GPS wouldn't help me, either.  I haven't figured out our pin system since joining...we don't have pin sheets or number systems that I've found, at least.

Maybe the difference is knowing what you need to know to a high accuracy, or knowing everything to a lesser accuracy... :whistle:

• 1 month later...
On 6/24/2017 at 8:57 AM, dave s said:

I've commented before on range finder threads on where I believe the tool is most valuable.

Third shot on a par-5 hole.  You have a great look at the stick and you must make an important yardage decision.  Pull range finder, shoot flag and confirm you are 78 yards from the pin. EXACTLY 78 yards.  Smooth lob wedge goes 80 yards.  Line it up and hit it close to the hole.

What happens with those who DON'T use the tool is that most of the time actual distance to pin is underestimated.  Any wonder why so many people leave approach shots SHORT with wedges and short irons?  Lack of accurate information.

Start watching your playing partners who don't use a range finder and tally up the times they come up short.  I offer mine up to anyone in that 120 and in range so they can make the right club decision.  Sometimes I'll ask for their estimate before shooting the flag to get accurate yardage.  Nine times out of ten, they underestimate the yardage number.

Great tool.  Glad I have and use it.

dave

Ive been going back and forth on GPS or rangefinder. When by myself i walk  of from known markers,  I play a 10 handicap and my buddy with a rangefinder plays to a 7.  When with him he shoots the lin for me and my approaches are much more accurate with rangefinder then it is with GPS or sprinkler head distance.   Rangefinder it will be for me especially with my wedge play.  I might get both if i come across good deal as I see value in both. 

• 5 months later...

If you are looking at Leupold, beware!  My 2 1/2 year old 3xi display is fading.  Only half of the battery display is visible, and the hundred yard digit is completely gone.  Their "lifetime" warranty excepts electronics.  Electronics are only good for 2 years.  They will make you call them - long hold times - to discuss options.  My option was to buy a new one at a discount.  So I asked if the electronics are any better on a new one and the response was to buy it and find out!  

I will be getting another laser range finder, but not a Leupold.

Note: This thread is 2274 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!