Advertisement
Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Chilli Dipper

USGA to Cancel Publinx, add Four-Ball Championships

35 posts in this topic

I just saw this on Golf Channel. The United States Golf Association is retiring the men's and women's Amateur Public Links Championships in 2014, while establishing men's and women's Four-Ball Championship in the spring of 2015. The USGA's explanation is that with the distinction of private and public access having been blurred significantly, the founding principle of the Publinx, the men's edition of which was founded in 1922, is no longer relevant.

Quote:
"What it all boiled down to was an essential question: If we were starting over today and founded the USGA, starting the championships, would we created these two championships today?" noted John Bodenhamer, USGA senior managing director, rules, competitions & equipment standards. "And the answer is no, because the original mission is no longer needed."
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sign up (or log in) today! It's free (and you won't see this ad anymore)!

Sign up (or log in) today! It's free (and you won't see this ad anymore)!

I wonder if the winners will both get an invite to The Masters.....
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

An event that is 91 years in the making, and they are going to cancel it because the lines are blurred between public and private access?  How hard is it to check an entrants background and verify that they are not a member of a private club?  Public clubs are public.  What's the deal here?

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I agree that it's a bit weird to have the Publinx - you have to be a "member" or play a lot at a public club? Why does that matter? It's like weird reverse snobbism.

Replacing it with a four-ball is interesting. I like it.

Good to see the USGA not just staying with history for history's sake. Time marches on.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by Beachcomber

An event that is 91 years in the making, and they are going to cancel it because the lines are blurred between public and private access?  How hard is it to check an entrants background and verify that they are not a member of a private club?  Public clubs are public.  What's the deal here?

I'm not sure that's what they meant about the lines being blurred.  My interpretation was that the reason why it came to be in the first place is because people who were members of a private club had an enormous advantage over non-members.  Members of private clubs could play and practice all the time, and if you weren't a member of a club, you simply did not have the same access to play, practice and instruction.

Now you and I can play and practice every day and get world class instruction (see what I did there? ), all without having to be a part of an elite class who are fortunate enough to be members of a Country Club.  Basically, nowaways everybody has the exact same opportunity so there really isn't a need to have a public tournament that excludes CC members anymore.

At least, that's what I think they meant. :)

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

My first reaction was what! Get rid of the Publinx?

Having grown up very middle class & on public courses I appreciated the intent of the Publinx. But this is a different era now. That line is indeed blurred, and further, there's less class separation of private v public players now. Back in the day, you could have called the Publinx the 'Unwashed Masses' Championship. But golf's not nearly elitist of a sport now.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Originally Posted by Golfingdad

I'm not sure that's what they meant about the lines being blurred.  My interpretation was that the reason why it came to be in the first place is because people who were members of a private club had an enormous advantage over non-members.  Members of private clubs could play and practice all the time, and if you weren't a member of a club, you simply did not have the same access to play, practice and instruction.

Now you and I can play and practice every day and get world class instruction (see what I did there? ), all without having to be a part of an elite class who are fortunate enough to be members of a Country Club.  Basically, nowaways everybody has the exact same opportunity so there really isn't a need to have a public tournament that excludes CC members anymore.

At least, that's what I think they meant. :)

Right... I get that.  But it is a championship that has gone on for 91 years (minus the years of WWII).  So much for tradition?

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by Beachcomber

Right... I get that.  But it is a championship that has gone on for 91 years (minus the years of WWII).  So much for tradition?

Oh.  Well you said "How hard is it to check an entrants background and verify that they are not a member of a private club?  What's the deal here?"  I thought you were suggesting that "the lines are blurred" meant it was getting harder for them to know who was or wasn't a member of a private club.  As if there are a whole bunch of private club members sneaking into public links events and that is why they stopped it.  Too hard for them to "police."  That's what I thought that you thought they were saying. :)

But tradition for traditions sake?  Barf.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

All I wonder is how this is going to affect amateur invites to the masters
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am sure there is a discussion somewhere in the forums, but isn't this like the championship for the weekend warriors who happen to be good? I do not get so hung up over private vs public (although I might just join a private club on the island this year).

That being said, I guess my real question is how can a regular Joe get into the Masters or the Open without a tourney such as the one that has been abolished?

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That being said, I guess my real question is how can a regular Joe get into the Masters or the Open without a tourney such as the one that has been abolished?

This isn't really that, at all. A few semi-recent winners: Colt Knost, Brandt Snedeker, Ryan moore, Chez Reavie, DJ Trahan, Trevor Immelman, Tim Clark, and Billy Mayfair. Maybe you're thinking of the Mid-Am? (Also, "regular Joes" can't, and shouldn't, get into the Masters or the Open. You have to be damn good, no matter what way you get it.)

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by tstrike34

I am sure there is a discussion somewhere in the forums, but isn't this like the championship for the weekend warriors who happen to be good? I do not get so hung up over private vs public (although I might just join a private club on the island this year).

That being said, I guess my real question is how can a regular Joe get into the Masters or the Open without a tourney such as the one that has been abolished?

The regular US amateur, and I believe the Mid-am as well (for the old guys over 35).  The point, I believe, is that the not belonging to a private club isn't an obstacle to being able to become great at golf like it once was.

Site note:  I don't like that everybody in the golfing world pronounces it "ama-tour" or "ameter" as opposed to "ama-cher."

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Site note:  I don't like that everybody in the golfing world pronounces it "ama-tour" or "ameter" as opposed to "ama-cher."

Sometimes I've heard guys pronounce it more like "amader."

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by Golfingdad

The regular US amateur, and I believe the Mid-am as well (for the old guys over 35).

WHO CAN ENTER: The championship is open to any amateur golfer who is 25 years old by Oct. 5 with a USGA Handicap Index® not exceeding 3.4.

It's just 25. Basically, "no college kids."

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by jamo

Sometimes I've heard guys pronounce it more like "amader."

I just call them guys who have a real job.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by iacas

WHO CAN ENTER: The championship is open to any amateur golfer who is 25 years old by Oct. 5 with a USGA Handicap Index® not exceeding 3.4.

It's just 25. Basically, "no college kids."

Whoops, my bad.  25, not 35.  (It's been awhile since I was either of those) :)

I guess this is kind of a by-product of the changed times.  The purpose of the Mid-Am now seems to me the same as the Publinks was when it first came to be.  Another reason why the Publinks doesn't really need to exist.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

So if I understand the USGA: We'll hide behind tradition to change the groove rule which impacts the top 1%; We'll hide behind tradition to ban anchoring because there are guys on TOUR that don't like it; But we won't stand up for tradition in preserving one of the nations oldest championships. And they also won't be getting dues money from me anytime soon. So the "blue collar" golfer is basically done...and these fourball teams, how will they be selected? State golf associations? If so, that's going to be college kids. I might as well hang it up. My national championship is now the Mid Am, until they get rid of that in favor of a shootout event.
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Advertisement
Advertisement


  • Want to join this community?

    We'd love to have you!

    Sign Up
  • 2017 TST Partners

    PING Golf
    Leupold Golf
    Snell Golf
    Talamore Golf Resort
    Lowest Score Wins
  • Posts

    • He started off playing the first hole exactly how he should: fairway, 20-footer for birdie to the fat side of the green, tap-in par.
    • @iacas-Tho it is nice to be able to take your time and type out what you mean to say this is one of the downsides to a forum too-You have to respond to a whole bunch of crap and a person can get all of their thoughts out uninterrupted. If you were been sitting in a room with @natureboy and he started drawing that entirely stupid picture with the lines you could have cut him off and spared all of us the pain of having to watch him so badly miss the point. I bet @natureboy is still going to look at the response-And I bet he is still not going to see where he went wrong. But that is because he is just that way and he is unable to see how stupid his own posts are and how little they actually deal with golf swings. His stick drawing is exactly why you asked for a video-Even though he posted it after you asked. His errors and flaws and stupid thoughts would have been even more evident if he had actually tried to make a vid.
    • Or… golf is hard, and he got hot for awhile. Wouldn't be the first flash in the pan. We'll have to wait to see what the true version is. He could be quiet for ten years and then win a few majors.
    • That makes a great third bullet point. Or a first bullet point, bumping my two down.
    • This photo and the text above illustrate pretty well exactly why I and the entire moderation team is now done with you. The image fails on two levels: The center image is not representative of an actual good golf swing. The right hip is closer to the right foot in the center image, yet you maintain that it's farther away. Whether the second thing is done intentionally or accidentally I don't know. I don't care to know. But it's very representative of how you argue, and why you're now going to be prevented from arguing. You pervert arguments to the point where we're no longer discussing the golf swing. You get basic facts or concepts wrong (like when arguing about course rating, misunderstanding the radius vs. diameter in faulting the rating process for higher handicappers). You focus on some small thing - which often isn't even something anyone else has said - and lose sight of the forest or the big picture. You're not here to help golfers. You're here to "win" an argument, a goal that as yet is unmet, and you have to post absolute crap like the above to try to do it. I had a bit of free time this morning. So I responded to your last post in some detail. It, as one would expect, contains a number of typical @natureboy traits: cherry picking a photo while ignoring the concept, failure to understand basic points, perversion of the statements of others, putting words in the mouths of others, use of vague words like "a lot" (often in combination with the "putting words in the mouths of others), and hyper-focus on some small largely negligible point. Nobody else should waste their time to read the below, or open the spoiler and read that. It will not shed light on anything, it will not help you with your golf swing, and you will not glean any useful information. It exists simply as my last effort at illustrating to @natureboy a small part of the reason why we're tired of him… even though as I post it I know with certainty it too will fail. I gave you twenty warning points last night. It was made clear to you what you had to do, and you failed to do so, flaunting the requirement in several posts. The entire moderation team - @mvmac, @RandallT, @boogielicious, @jamo, @billchao, @nevets88, @mchepp, others - and myself have simply gotten sick and tired of your entire persona here. You're constantly and never-endingly arguing stuff to the point where you bastardize things so much you're no longer even talking about the golf swing, and you fail to comprehend or respond to what's written to you in response. You have two real choices once your current suspension is over: You can ignore these warnings, continue to be a belligerent arguer, and receive a final 50-point warning that will result in your permanent ban. You can avoid behaving in the manner that infuriates the entire moderation team. That will likely mean limiting the topics in which you post quite a bit, because though you fancy yourself to be capable of discussing the golf swing from a theoretical perspective, you've proven that you are not. Now, I want to be very clear about something. You're not being warned or "handled" because you disagree. You're being handled here because you contribute nothing positive. You're belligerent. You don't help people. You don't demonstrate anything. You pervert and distort topics in order to make a point that often has little or nothing to do with how people actually play golf. You're on a mission to "win" an argument, not to further the understanding. You speak as if you know and fail to ask questions, despite the holes in your logic and posts being constantly exposed as gaping. You quite often fail to read what's written, take a beat, and try to understand it. P.S. This requirement is anything but arbitrary. The list of reasons are long, the surface of which was only scratched in this post. Arbitrary would have been to say something like "to continue posting here you must dress up in a purple outfit and post a photo of yourself diving from a diving board into a pool of jello." Asking you to post a video illustrating your point is the opposite of arbitrary.
  • TST Blog Entries

  • Blog Entries

  • Today's Birthdays

    1. Catcher20
      Catcher20
      (27 years old)
    2. JD15
      JD15
      (52 years old)
  • Get Great Gear with Amazon