IGNORED

2013 Masters Discussion Thread, Update with Tiger's Illegal Drop (Post #343)

iacas
Note: This thread is 4029 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Of course, Scott got GIF'ed: [URL=http://i.minus.com/iIPH258ovmaP4.gif]http://i.minus.com/iIPH258ovmaP4.gif[/URL]

Does anyone know what Scott was shouting after the 25ft on the 18th?! I get the 'C'mon' bit, but there was something after!?

Originally Posted by newtogolf

I was referring to Angels thumbs up to Scott during the playoff when Scott hit his approach shot closer on the green.  I agree most professional golfers act properly but I thought the thumbs up was above and beyond and demonstrated great sportsmanship.

Phil got absolutely killed for doing this to Rose in the Ryder Cup.

• Upvote 1

Originally Posted by clarkeycats

Does anyone know what Scott was shouting after the 25ft on the 18th?! I get the 'C'mon' bit, but there was something after!?

I think Faldo was right ... he was saying "come on, Aussies!!"

Originally Posted by Wansteadimp

Great point.  People were basting him for the clapping, but praising Cabrera for essentially the same thing.  For the record, in both cases, I think its great sportsmanship, and classy.  (My recently evolving opinion of Fil/Phigjam notwithstanding)

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator
Originally Posted by Rick Martin

Cabrerra has played in more events than Stricker who is a fan favorite.

Double standard?

Steve:

1. Speaks English (which helps people get to know him)
  2. Plays better way more often than Angel (I think Angel now has something like four top-3 finishes in "PGA Tour" sanctioned events... three of which are majors).

So I'm not sure what your point is. Or, for that matter, to whom your comment was directed.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Couldn't be happier for Adam Scott....and thank goodness that it ended with him and Angel making birdies to finish and then a very well played playoff with a birdie to win.

If the tournament finishes differently, I think this could (would) have been remembered as the one that Tiger lost due to a horrible, horrible bad break.

Great tournament.......as fans of the game, we should feel fortunate...what a weekend!

"Getting paired with you is the equivalent to a two-stroke penalty to your playing competitors"  -- Sean O'Hair to Rory Sabbatini (Zurich Classic, 2011)

Originally Posted by clarkeycats

He was shouting "C'mon Aussie!" They've been waiting for a Masters win for a long time.

(For pedants, and South Africans, the current tally is 5 - 1 to SA on Green Jackets and 22 - 17 to SA on Majors in general. Yes there's a sort of unofficial Southern Hemisphere score keeping going on.)

Stretch.

"In the process of trial and error, our failed attempts are meant to destroy arrogance and provoke humility." -- Master Jin Kwon

Originally Posted by Wansteadimp

Maybe I'm guilty of having double standards but a Ryder Cup is a team competition and Phil's clapping at that time seemed less appropriate given the situation that what Angel did.

If I choose to give props to my opponent in a 1 on 1 I'm the only one affected.  When you're part of a team you should be supporting your team and doing whatever you need to in order to make sure your team wins.

Joe Paradiso

Originally Posted by SamCreamer

He was not treated differently than any other golfer because he did not sign an incorrect scorecard as far as the rules committee was concerned at the time of his signing of the score card. This is clearly explained on page 62 of  this thread. May I point out also that I believe it`s unfair that he received a penalty at all because it seems like almost every other player in the field wouldn`t have because they don`t consistently have 15+ cameras on them.

Yes I read it and also heard the explanation on TV that morning.  I just don't buy it I guess.  Last I heard two wrongs don't make a right.  But it is what it is and since the committee is empowered to make such a ruling obviously Tiger was allowed to play legal and so the rules were observed.  Who knows?  Maybe it was the best to two poor choices.

Butch

Maybe I'm guilty of having double standards but a Ryder Cup is a team competition and Phil's clapping at that time seemed less appropriate given the situation that what Angel did.

If I choose to give props to my opponent in a 1 on 1 I'm the only one affected.  When you're part of a team you should be supporting your team and doing whatever you need to in order to make sure your team wins.

See, I don't think anybody at all is affected.  I just don't feel that appreciating greatness takes away any of your abilities, so clapping or "thumbs-upping" an opponent is not, in any way, detrimental to "supporting your team and doing whatever you need in order to make sure your team wins."  If I thought it was, then I'd agree with you. :)

When you're part of a team you should be supporting your team and doing whatever you need to in order to make sure your team wins.

I have a hard time understanding how appreciating and acknowledging a good shot is counter to that or even relates in a game.

Tennis - bouncing the racket after the opponent hits a good shot

Football - "nice hit"

Basketball - well, they don't have time really

If it's not a game, you don't really see it though

Hey - "nice sniper shot, you really took out my Colonel.  I'll try to top that on my turn - look out."  No fist bumps either in combat.

Bill - 

There's really no right or wrong here, just opinion. Personally, I'll congratulate an opponent on his accomplishments during/after the round as well just like Phil did. I don't see anything wrong with that. It by no means has any negative impact on me, my game, my intensity, my determination to win, etc. If it has an impact on my "teammates", then that is something that they should address or deal with unfortunately. I'm extremely competitive, but down to earth also and that is one trait that I really enjoy seeing in Phil when I watch him play.

In golf, I don't see a problem. Gentlemen's game, right?

In football on the other hand, I do not expect to see a LT congratulate the other team's DE for taking his QB's head off. But, when I played LB, I would give the RB a smack on the helmet to acknowledge him when he'd drop his helmet and try to break through me.

You see examples of players acknowledging their opponents achievements/effort/successes in nearly every sport at nearly every level.

Every situation is different and everyone has a different opinion on each situation.

Maybe I'm guilty of having double standards but a Ryder Cup is a team competition and Phil's clapping at that time seemed less appropriate given the situation that what Angel did.   If I choose to give props to my opponent in a 1 on 1 I'm the only one affected.  When you're part of a team you should be supporting your team and doing whatever you need to in order to make sure your team wins.

In addition to that, I think the difference is that when Phil did it, he was losing. When Cabrera did it, he and Scott was nearly identically long putts. They were on equal footing.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

• Administrator

People had a problem with Phil doing something similar in the Ryder Cup?

I was in Scotland at the time so I missed that… I don't have a problem with it. I'll say "good shot" or "nice putt" to anyone.

Sounds like some people want to reach just to find something to get pissed about. :-P

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Originally Posted by Spyder

There's really no right or wrong here, just opinion. Personally, I'll congratulate an opponent on his accomplishments during/after the round as well just like Phil did. I don't see anything wrong with that. It by no means has any negative impact on me, my game, my intensity, my determination to win, etc. If it has an impact on my "teammates", then that is something that they should address or deal with unfortunately. I'm extremely competitive, but down to earth also and that is one trait that I really enjoy seeing in Phil when I watch him play.

In golf, I don't see a problem. Gentlemen's game, right?

In football on the other hand, I do not expect to see a LT congratulate the other team's DE for taking his QB's head off. But, when I played LB, I would give the RB a smack on the helmet to acknowledge him when he'd drop his helmet and try to break through me.

You see examples of players acknowledging their opponents achievements/effort/successes in nearly every sport at nearly every level.

Every situation is different and everyone has a different opinion on each situation.

Well said, I agree that the circumstances matter.

Joe Paradiso

Originally Posted by golflaw

Agree completely. They have officials with every group. They must need to have them make calls and enforce them at the time.

This is not my understanding.  PGA Tour radio stated that Augusta National did NOT have officials with every group and confirmed that there was not an official with Tigers group that day.

Joe Paradiso

Hey guys,

Thought you all might be interested in reading the Masters retro diary that went up today on Cabrera v. Scott, Tiger's Drop, Day, Snedeker, and the rain at August. With some QUIPS mixed in. We're in the midst of amping up our golf coverage over there, and I wanted to spread the word.

Masters Retro Diary

Thanks for reading.

-Shane

Note: This thread is 4029 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!