IGNORED

2013 Masters Discussion Thread, Update with Tiger's Illegal Drop (Post #343)

iacas
Note: This thread is 4029 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by golflaw

Agree completely. They have officials with every group

No, they don't. So drivel, drivel, drivel, Goodell, drivel. Whoop whoop.

Stretch.

"In the process of trial and error, our failed attempts are meant to destroy arrogance and provoke humility." -- Master Jin Kwon

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I have to say that I was thoroughly entertained by the Masters this weekend.  From the Tianlang Guan, to Tiger to Adam/Angel finish.  Again, the Masters delivers us with Golf entertainment.

I give Adam tons of respect for finding the determination and guts to sink those two putts (after heartbreaking disappointment in the past).

I also give Tiger respect for rolling this penalty issue off of his shoulders.  It takes an EXTREMELY strong individual to know everyone is throwing out opinions prior to knowing the full story and still being able to dump it all, and move forward. Very few people have the strength to handle these things and still perform and laugh about it afterwards.

I already can't wait to the next major.

• Upvote 1

Deryck Griffith

Titleist 910 D3: 9.5deg GD Tour AD DI7x | Nike Dymo 3W: 15deg, UST S-flex | Mizuno MP CLK Hybrid: 20deg, Project X Tour Issue 6.5, HC1 Shaft | Mizuno MP-57 4-PW, DG X100 Shaft, 1deg upright | Cleveland CG15 Wedges: 52, 56, 60deg | Scotty Cameron California Del Mar | TaylorMade Penta, TP Black LDP, Nike 20XI-X

Very good player.............deserved winning The Master's...........................but

his game was totally improved and transformed by the long putter.

Could he win without it?

Is this an example that anchoring does help many players?

I really do not care one way or the other about the ruling on long putters but if I look back, Adam I think is the first player I can remember  whose game improved dramatically anchoring the putter

(Stevie must have made another big bundle of money with his new player!!)

Originally Posted by ghalfaire

Yes I read it and also heard the explanation on TV that morning.  I just don't buy it I guess.  Last I heard two wrongs don't make a right.  But it is what it is and since the committee is empowered to make such a ruling obviously Tiger was allowed to play legal and so the rules were observed.  Who knows?  Maybe it was the best to two poor choices.

Overall an unfortunate scenario for Tiger and for golf fans. Maybe there should be a discussion whether the punishment suited the crime... I mean he dropped it 2 yards back and he was almost DQ`d... seems a bit extreme to me, even though I know they are the long-time standing rules of golf.

Originally Posted by Ping

You are correct..I am biased. Eldrick is a public figure and should be a role model for millions of kids. Instead, he squanders it all and his family for some strange. This latest fiasco serves to reinforce what many already know..Eldrick is a loser. One of the guys at work put it best..he said, "I want to see Tiger come in second in every tournament for the rest of his life."...so do I.  Eldrick is not in Adam Scott's league and never will be.

You're biased and you're wrong the only people who should be role models are parents.  I want my sons following my lead rather than someone they see on TV once in a while.  Tiger a loser?  Really?

Some people don't know the difference between people laughing with them and people laughing at them....

There is a difference

What players were you disappointed in - me? The usual suspects - Sergio and Dustin Johnson, Keegan, Lefty....these guys all disappeared - a couple of them were very bad for most of the week. I've been one of the few people pulling for Sergio (met him in 2000 in Germany) -  thought Dustin's game might give him a chance - until he got to #15 on Friday. Kind of disappointed in Schnedeker's mini-collapse on Sunday....can you call it that? Another over par round when he was in the running.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spyder

In football on the other hand, I do not expect to see a LT congratulate the other team's DE for taking his QB's head off. But, when I played LB, I would give the RB a smack on the helmet to acknowledge him when he'd drop his helmet and try to break through me.

That's correct.  If Mickelson was sitting on the sidelines after his match and cheering an opponent who sank a long putt on his teammate that would be a totally different story.  Just like your football analogy.  The lineman isn't congratulating the LB for taking his QB's head off, but sometimes the QB is (Brett Favre did it a lot, Aaron Rodgers has done it, etc)  My favorite is when the guy levels the QB or RB and then helps him back up - as opposed to the guy who tea-bags the QB on the way to his "look at me" dance.

Quote:

Originally Posted by iacas

People had a problem with Phil doing something similar in the Ryder Cup?

I was in Scotland at the time so I missed that… I don't have a problem with it. I'll say "good shot" or "nice putt" to anyone.

Sounds like some people want to reach just to find something to get pissed about. :-P

You were in Europe during the Ryder Cup?!?  You traitor!  No wonder we lost!

During Phil's match with Justin Rose he smiled and applauded at least one clutch putt (might have done it twice?) down the stretch.  Some people here in 'Murica didn't take too kindly to it.

What players were you disappointed in - me? The usual suspects - Sergio and Dustin Johnson, Keegan, Lefty....these guys all disappeared - a couple of them were very bad for most of the week. I've been one of the few people pulling for Sergio (met him in 2000 in Germany) -  thought Dustin's game might give him a chance - until he got to #15 on Friday. Kind of disappointed in Schnedeker's mini-collapse on Sunday....can you call it that? Another over par round when he was in the running.

Easy....Snedeker! He shoots 68 on Sunday and daddy gets a new putter that I can use to threaten my current putter with when it decides to misbehave! :-(

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

For anyone that was in the chat yesterday when I had Thorbjørn Olesen on the leaderboard as "Thunder Bear," well...: :-D

• Upvote 1

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Originally Posted by jamo

For anyone that was in the chat yesterday when I had Thorbjørn Olesen on the leaderboard as "Thunder Bear," well...:

Nice!  Now maybe he'll replace the giant void in your twitterverse left by Steven Fox??  Also, I think you're just being a showoff every time you write thorbjorn because you know where the "empty set" character (clearly not the actual name for it, but you know what I'm talking about) resides on the keyboard.

• Administrator
Originally Posted by Golfingdad

You were in Europe during the Ryder Cup?!?  You traitor!  No wonder we lost!

I came back on Sunday actually. :P

BTW, it's option-o: øøøøøøøøøøøøøøøøø.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Nice!  Now maybe he'll replace the giant void in your twitterverse left by Steven Fox??  Also, I think you're just being a showoff every time you write thorbjorn because you know where the "empty set" character (clearly not the actual name for it, but you know what I'm talking about) resides on the keyboard.

haha maybe. And if Fox is reading this (which I can only assume is how he found my Twitter), feel free to come back any time. In addition to what Erik said, you can also hold down the O key and a little thing pops up (or maybe you need to turn that on or something).

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Am I the only guy who thinks Jim Nance talks too much.  Nice guy, and very informative but he doesn't know when to shut up.  Golf is not like other sports. Scott has a putt on 18 for birdie, one of the biggest putts of his life, and he's still talking when the putt is almost in the hole.  Whatever happen to Frank Chirkinian let the scene tell the story.

The players are getting instructions on the first sudden death hole and he's talking.  Steve Williams is telling Scott the putt on the second playoff hole breaks more than Scott thinks and he's talking.  The players grandmother shagged balls for him, his first grade school teacher dated his mother's sister, he has oatmeal with his kids every morning, his favorite book is Gone With the Wind, he likes to whistle in the shower......it goes on and on.

Maybe it's just me.

Regards,

John

You know what? I forgot to congratulate all the players who earned their invitation for the 2014 Masters! The list will be a bit smaller from here on out, now that only the top twelve get invited back next year, but here it goes.

Jason Day

Marc Leishman

Thorbjørn Oleson

Brandt Snedeker

Sergio García

Lee Westwood

John Huh

Tim Clark

Great job, guys. You all will be back at Augusta National next April. Keep up the good work!

In my UnderArmour Links stand bag...

Driver: '07 Burner 9.5° (stiff graphite shaft)
Woods: SasQuatch 17° 4-Wood (stiff graphite shaft)
Hybrid: 4DX Ironwood 20° (stiff graphite shaft)Irons/Wedges: Apex Edge 3-PW, GW, SW (stiff shaft); Carnoustie 60° LWPutter: Rossa AGSI+ Corzina...

I think it was nice to see Leishman's fist pump when scott holed that putt on 72th hole.

Golf is such a different game than all other sports. Players are much closer to the crowd.

maybe the only other sport where you see this is cycling and running.

Dirver: Mizuno JPX 825 9,5 Fujikura Orochi Red Eye Stiff 65 g.
3 wood: Mizuno JPX 825 14 Fujikura Orochi Red Eye Stiff 75 g.
Hybrid: Mizuno JPX 825 18 Fujikura Orochi Red Eye Stiff 85 g. 
Irons: Mizuno MP 59 3 / PW KBS Tour stiff shaft ( Golf Pride Niion )
Wedges: Taylormade ATV Wedges 52 and 58 ( Golf Pride Niion )
putter: Taylormade ghost series 770 35 inch ( Super Stroke slim 3.0 )
Balls: Taylormade TP 5

Misc:

I don't follow NASCAR, but don't those drivers work together as teams as well?

Tiring of the sappy CBS coverage of the Masters as well including Nantz.  Guess I bought into the lore when I lived in Augusta for all those years and liked it, but now it's pretty obvious how Augusta National has a huge influence on what is said and shown on CBS. It was most obvious when the camera moved away from Billy Payne and centered the lighted portrait of Bobby Jones -

Looking forward to seeing what Olesen can do on Euro Tour, PGA events, Ryder Cup -----he's the future of the European scene.  How the heck can someone from small, cold Denmark be such a great golfer?

Augusta National doesn't have just a huge influence.............................rather , they totally dictate what CBS does .

Remember the banning of Gary McCord when "during the network's coverage in 1994 , he remarked that the 17th green was so fast that it seemed to be " bikini-waxed ", and that " body bags " were located behind that green for players who missed their approach shots. Augusta National Golf Club , which organizes The Masters, used its influence with CBS to have him removed from The Masters commentary team. While McCord has continued to cover virtually all other golf events aired by CBS, he has yet to return to Augusta with the network".

Most of us watching just thaought it was typical Gary being funny................................but ANGC was NOT amused !

Note: This thread is 4029 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!